1. Elementary
  2. Intermediate
  3. Adept
  4. Advanced
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Modern/realistic. Low fantasy. Low Scifi. Supernatural. Future Dystopia (not post-apoc).
Because I didn't want to necro that unpopular opinions thread and turn it into a YOI discussion.

But basically.

I saw episodes 1 - 4, said they were insulting because of all the queerbait fakeouts. Didn't watch it again. Saw reviews of ep 7 and read summaries, but didn't watch, still thought it insulting. Around this point I vented about how I found it insulting in the unpopular opinions thread.

Episode 10 came out today, a bunch of people are going crazy over this episode as well. I decided to look into it. I watched episode 10. I am not thoroughly convinced it isn't another fake-out, but it's definitely a huge tone change.

Enough of one that I can post this gif up when I think about my post in unpopular opinions thread:

JjLgtXg.gif

So I will withhold further judgement about the show until it ends (or at least this season ends).

What are your opinions on this figure skating sports anime?

Reactions: Shiri
I LOVE IT! First time in a long time I've felt so much enthusiasm and excitement for an anime so I'm definitely pumped for more episodes! :D

I really, really love it.

I am a little bit disappointed that their engagement rings were on their right hand, but! Apparently in Russia, wedding bands are traditionally worn on the right hand, and not the left, which makes me pretty happy.

Honestly, though it would be very nice for them to be able to say 'yes, these characters are gay, straight up, they are gay and in love,' I understand that it's not always possible, especially in a homophobic country like Japan. And this is basically as gay as you can get without being like 'yeah we're queer'. Like, imo you'd have to be trying really hard to come up with a reason why they aren't in a relationship. Really, really hard.

I also love how the show subverts gender roles. As an LGBT person, I'm content with it. It's not perfect, but it's made pretty big strides, I think.

When I get home from work I'll have to post an interesting blog post I read about the show. It sums my feelings up pretty nicely.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: junebug
Like, imo you'd have to be trying really hard to come up with a reason why they aren't in a relationship. Really, really hard.
True, but you could've said the same thing about the first 4 episodes and they weren't in a relationship then.

Plus, with the ultimatum of ep 10, there's still a conceivable "out" for them not being in a relationship.

But like I said I am trying not to judge so harshly now. xP

As much as I'm in love with the anime, I still see a potential for everything to turn out to be queerbaiting. I'm enjoying it, and it seems that their relationship is canon, but if it's dismissed in the final episodes I'm going to be very disappointed and get my pitchforks ready!

Reactions: Vardoger
I like it. It is entertaining. I would love for it to be more than baiting, but I am used to being disappointed so it's no skin off my nose. Also the animation is more than enough to warrant watching. I am a bit behind though with xmas and all *cough Jojo* taking up my time. I will catch up one day! :3

Reactions: Vardoger
I was the same in that regard. After a few episodes I thought it was just another one of these yaoi's that are glorifying all the wrong points of a queer relationship. I didn't drop the series, though, mostly because of spoiling friends who told me something interesting.

However, now I actually hope that it will have some decent representation? I'm starting to believe that Yuri on Ice!!! may actually be an anime that will change things in the anime-world. I like that thought.

Other than that; the animation is beautiful, I love figure skating, and all the subtle hints of their relationships with others and each other makes me smile. The fact that there are rumours going around that the creator of the series confirmed their wish to create a world where the LGBT are accepted makes me hope all the more for the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.