Your favorite genre for reading?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

Diana

LOOK HOW CALM SHE IS
Original poster
ADMINISTRATOR
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
Most of us roleplayers love reading books (even if we don't read as often as we want to). I want to know what your absolute favorite genre for reading is!

When I was little, all I ever seemed to read was Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys novels. If it was a detective mystery, I was all over that shit. In middle school I discovered romance novels and then I spent the next 10+ years reading about moistened flower pockets and spitting wizard shafts.

These days my interests are a lot more varied but I end up leaning heavily towards traditional fantasy! I'm trying to get myself reading a wider variety of books, thanks to the totally awesome Iwaku Reading Group clan that I have stolen from it's previous masters and it's Discord Server. And I am also trying to go back and read ANCIENT CLASSICS that heavily influences a lot of pop culture references. (Like creepy Lovecraft creepies) Ò◇Ó

What are YOUR favorite genres to read?

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Dipper and Greenie
Fantasy all the way! XD Whether it's modern, medieval or a mix of both, it's my number one favourite genre to read, and influences most of what I write as well.

After Fantasy I'd say Supernatural, and then Suspense/Mystery.

Fantasy is my prefered genre for reading material. I prefer the stuff that is a little light hearted and doesn't take its self to seriously though.

I also quite like comedy-drama books like Three men in a boat or the Jeeves and Wooster books.

I'd have to say fantasy. I started with the stuff, particularly The Hobbit :D then from there it was on to Lord of The Rings of course. I guess it was always the adventures, the open worlds and what filled them that drew me in. Fantasy has always been so much fun and so accessible to me!

I think most of my reading is in-depth analytics on football (soccer) and basketball. High-level analytical journalism in sports is thriving with the increased availability of advanced statistics amongst sporting fans, and thus the market for such writers. Writers that can marry their knowledge of the game with brilliantly weft-tales of sportspeople and their compelling narratives make for great pieces that transcend their constituent components. (If you're a sports fan: Zach Lowe and Nate Duncan are NBA writers par excellence).

As for fiction: superhero fiction in novella form isn't nearly as ubiquitous as its counterparts, but its an intriguing and growing area. Otherwise, Elmore Leonard westerns.

I like a huge variety of stuff! Horror is my all-time favorite though, followed by mystery, historical fiction, romance, and fantasy and sci-fi (both things I was born and raised on) in equal measures. I'm really bad at favorites.

Fantasy, especially when blended with adventure! I also love mystery/thrillers (Red Dragon is one of my favorite novels). Science fiction is usually also my jam. I enjoy historical fiction too.

Fantasy! Nothing like being immersed in a good ole book that will take me to a whole different world. Also, it inspires the creative juices to get flowing :)

Magic. If it can be considered a genre. I like books with a well thought out magic system. The Rithmatist strikes me as one of the most well written magic systems, but it's silly because they're animating chalk lines. It's just the level of detail the writer put into the system made me forget that and really enjoy it. A more conventional magic system would be River's of London.

Superhero/Villain genre. Original stories, not Marvel or DC stuff. Especially books where they ground the story and setting. Take the idea to a detailed level. Not just assume that heroes and villains would run around freely all willy nilly with no effect on society.

Hard-ish Scifi. Not super harder. Not overly realistic. I wanna have some fun with it. But still grounded in a sense of reality. It tends to be very hit or miss for me. Often I feel like they're cheesy. Or over the top. It's actually harder to find scifi that I enjoy.

Reactions: Diana and Dipper
Pretty much anything that's as fictional as possible. I tend to favour more modern or futuristic settings as compared to older ones, but in those settings, whether it's fantasy, or dystopian, or sci fi or post apocalyptic, as long as the odds of it ever happening in the real world are astronomical, i'm pretty sure i'd love it.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Diana and Dipper
Like the majority of the responses here, Fantasy! It reads away easily and I can dream away in worlds and magical systems. Though I also like a slice of life at times. Just seeing the world from a different perspective and painted in the words of another is interesting to me. Coincidentally the book that had me itch back to writing was a slice of life as well, so it holds a special place in my heart.

eue Erotica is my bread and butter... always.

SciFi is my go to, every time. Fantasy is also up there but it's never managed to come close to the wonder scifi inspires in me, you know?

:cookie:

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Nemopedia and Diana
I'm big on fantasy. It's my fave. I will also enjoy a good erotica from time to time because kinky romance. I like action and adventure on occasion (Ever read the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child?) Though recently I've been reading more non-fiction and some lifestyle/self-help type books.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Nemopedia and Diana
Y'all gonna laugh, but...

My favorite book genre is actually reference. 8D;;;

If we ever make a book exchange, somehow, I'm sharing some of mine. I better get them back, though. x3 My ref books are very helpful for me!

I'd say my ultimate go-to would be the fantasy/mystery combo. But these days, I seem to gravitate towards thrillers.

Reactions: Diana
Historical fiction is definitely my favorite, especially when it's blended with fantasy/supernatural elements as well. Horror/Suspense is a good runner-up too. Gimme all those tension-filled scenes, man. Make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

I used to read a lot more fantasy and sci fi when I was younger but now it's like...meh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I just need to find a good book to get back into it.

Does fanfiction count too? Because that's one of my vices lol