Your Favorite Books?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

RiverNotch

any pronouns
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Look for groups
Note the prefix: rather than talk about their contents, I'm asking you, the members of this lovely forum, to showcase your books as physical items! A bit of a shame I can't do the same for favorite movies or records, however, as I don't have any physical media for those, not unless hard drives count.
4AEE8B26-2B0E-496F-9BAD-3CEA3FABBC94.jpeg

First up is not something I would call a favorite, I just include it because of how I use it, both for this post and in general, as a portable table. I could probably take a picture of the whole chart spread out, but that would take a lot of work....what do you think? xD
65C3D8EA-77E7-495A-AA55-D9E71542EA7A.jpeg

You'll see a lot of Bibles in this little showcase of mine, as I grew up in a fairly religious household, and most of my extended family are fairly religious, too -- as for me, I suppose I am religious, but all but one of these Bibles I keep more for scholarly or literary reasons. Of all the books I here showcase, this is the only one that's been with me probably since I was born, and one of two books that sparked my bibliophilia. The other one is this book about various noteworthy battles, from the one between Nelson and Napoleon near the Nile delta to the Six Days' War, with these truly remarkable illustrations and photographs, given to my grandfather by his temporary boss from the British embassy....that young me promptly lost, taking it to show and tell.
9EEEDB55-5B70-4CB4-B72A-C516C08F1614.jpeg

No, I have not forgiven myself for that, and yes: as much as I love them, I'm not very good at taking care of my books. This particular condensation of Greco-Roman myths, I first read when it was gifted to me by one of my teachers in primary school -- that copy, however, as well as the first, what, two? three copies? succeeding it, I've since lost.
ABBD5E2E-6FEE-4DBD-AC33-DBCC3B0BBBF0.jpeg

Though not all old books of mine got so wrecked. A Wrinkle in Time was, I believe, the very first novel I read on my own, and I likewise believe that this is that particular copy. It might just be because I'm not much in the habit of rereading novels, whereas something like Edith Hamilton's Mythology, I treated more as a textbook.
9A832F62-92E6-4DE8-8D2C-2830BFF92E32.jpeg

Some textbooks do have a lot of sentimental value for me, and there's a few I've read, cover-to-cover, without particular prompting. Most notable of these, I think, are my older sister's world history book, whose historiography was probably pretty bad, but hey, to preteen me the partition of Poland might as well have been a fairy tale. That book, I've since lost, abusing it as much as I'd abused my first few copies of Mythology; this one, which I got much letter, fared much better.
24FC2FD8-8BD2-42DA-930D-8DB64789AE25.jpeg

A couple more textbooks I got that I really liked, though I don't remember reading them cover-to-cover. The one on the left, I got for my humanities class in high school, the same one I mentioned for my thread on nudes, but it's the one on the right that's gotten quite sticky over the years....actually, over the one year, as I had this manual open alongside the non-human cadavers me and my mates were dissecting for the college course where this was needed.
544A57F4-48FA-442A-AD72-0ACEE983DDB5.jpeg

And here's a couple more books that I used like textbooks. The one on the left is my copy of Thomas Bulfinch's Mythology, yet another condensation of Greco-Roman (along with Norse, English, Welsh, French, and even a bit of Indian) Mythology that I came to enjoy; the one on the right is my old annotated copy of William Shakespeare's Sonnets, to which I give about a third of the credit for teaching me meter.
AFD52F25-0B51-4833-B0E7-5EDA2533262D.jpeg

This is the physical copy of all of Shakespeare's works that I now use. I found this at a secondhand bookstore I've been visiting ever since I was a kid, from where I also got....
0317AEF4-1113-4985-80BD-FFA7858987BE.jpeg

....this chonker of a home economics classic! Where the Oggsford Shakespeare, I got last year, this one I found last week. I can't really call this one a favorite, though, as I've barely used it, and have no intention of going through it cover-to-cover.

[Continued below]​

Attachments

• 544A57F4-48FA-442A-AD72-0ACEE983DDB5.jpeg
    544A57F4-48FA-442A-AD72-0ACEE983DDB5.jpeg
    665.6 KB · Views: 0
[Continued]

16C3FF70-2E07-456A-8AAB-AF3112263577.jpeg

The cookbook with which I have the most sentimental attachment is probably this one, which isn't actually mine, but my mum's. The Bible which I showed second in this post was originally my mum's, too, but she effectively gave it to me when she stopped using it....

2744890C-4A3E-45B5-BDC8-5A594C65FEE1.jpeg

....just as my sister, who's read, among others, the pre-"canon" Thrawn trilogy, effectively gave these to me, when I showed much more interest in them than she did. I haven't properly read these, actually, only looked at how the author divided their respective episodes into acts and scenes.

2B65ECC3-CDAF-4EEE-8B58-2C914A022996.jpeg

These ones, I have read -- I believe they're the first series of books I managed to finish reading! -- though I have no idea if it was my sister or myself that formally owned these. It was probably meant for the both of us by our parents, come to think of it.

EB30748A-0A9F-42F2-9A85-25BEAD3CC8DC.jpeg

This is the first book series I collected for myself, rather than having been gifted to me. I got them, somewhat piecemeal, from the secondhand bookstore I had earlier mentioned. Note that while you'll probably find me crack the occasional jest at the expense of, say, Feanor, I have yet to actually read The Silmarillion xD.

87251D7D-066C-4394-B433-B544FDD4B125.jpeg

One more fat stack of books I quite prize is my collection of Bibles. The oldest acquisition in this stack is the New Oxford Annotated Bible, which I also got from the aforesaid secondhand bookstore; the one on top of it is the first physical book I bought online, a version of the ancient Greek translation of the so-called Old Testament; third from the bottom is a version of the entire King James Version of the Bible, including the Apocrypha, which most printings nowadays omit; and the one at the very top is the second ever physical book I bought online, and the only Bible I could say I own for religious, as opposed to literary/scholarly, reasons. Actually, I have two more Bibles, though one of them I don't particularly prize -- it's just a disposable copy of the translation on which the Orthodox Study Bible is based -- and the other, a facsimile edition of the KJV, I would include, had the publishers not likewise discarded the Apocrypha. The people who would buy a facsimile edition of the KJV are most likely to do so out of bibliophilia, rather than piety, so it does kinda piss me off that the publishers of said edition would pander to the pious by omitting such a significant portion of the book, but my complaint will only go so far, as I had also gotten that from the ever-mentioned secondhand bookstore.

63AD312C-3D9B-4408-B0D2-5B4A8A443337.jpeg

Anyway, here are three books that I got as souvenirs from two out-of-country trips. The one on top was from Russia, to which I'd gone shortly before their invasion of Crimea; the ones on the bottom, they're from a trip to Japan in 2019. It seems, of the few times I've visited other countries, I always purchased books, though the stories for the ones I got from the US and from Singapore need a bit of elaboration. I went to the US within a year after I visited Russia -- both were school things, not vacations -- and I guess I just bought whatever books seemed coolest, since what I got was the conservative pundit Bernard Goldberg's 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America. I didn't read that one, thank God, and the moment I realized what it actually contained, I just....well, I didn't burn it, but I couldn't in good conscience sell it or give it away, either. As for the one I got from Singapore, it's Sonny Liew's classic The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye, though I haven't read that one either, as shortly after returning home I lent it to my aunt. Said aunt often gives me books for Christmas or my birthday, so I don't begrudge her mistaking my loan for a gift.

1FA7F6AB-6B49-45C0-9C44-DED3F273D05F.jpeg

And here are the last two books for this showcase. The one above, I've already mentioned in my thread "Poetry in English..."; the one below, it's a field guide I bought from my thesis adviser. The funny thing about the field guide is one of my professors recently lost his copy during one of our excursions, and we've occasionally joked that my copy is actually his, which reminds me of yet another book I would love to showcase had it remained in me: a somewhat fancy illustrated copy of Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, one which I had temporarily swapped with a high school friend's DVD of the Olivier Dahan film La Vie en Rose....only me and my friend mutually forgot to return what we had borrowed from each other, even as we moved on to the same university xD.

So yeah, these are some of my favorite books, not so much for their contents as for the items themselves. It's a rather bourgeois collection, I must admit, not decadent enough to be aristocratic, but not plebeian enough by being, well, a collection. Still, being a collection of books, I would not go so far as to criticize the habit as materialistic, but what about you? Do you have the same sentimentality for the physical items that are your books as I do for mine? Which ones would you like to highlight? Feel free to share below!

I can't choose a favorite, so I have been going with what is my current favorite book.

So right now my favorite book is called Wanderers by Chuck Wendig. It's about this random pandemic that makes people just... sort of sleepwalk. I got hooked because it was like... why are you sleepwalking? Why can't you be harmed really?

https___target.scene7.com_is_image_Target_GUEST_71ba9a51-0d89-421c-9b3e-031bcbb56dee_wid=1000&...jpg

Reactions: RiverNotch
Wow! This forum is making me regret my kindle.

Recently I've gotten into thrifting for used books. I've only picked up a couple because I have such limited space but it's fun sifting through shelves of old books. I recently got my hands on the book, "Be Here Now" by Ram Dass. I haven't really read it yet, but it's got some crazy illustrations and it's just an overall cool book to have on my shelf. Here's a random page that I found on Google:

1696057198876.png

My actual favourite book is East of Eden by John Steinbeck. I started going thrifting for used books because I'm on the hunt for a vintage hardcover copy of it. I've been unsuccessful, but I shall continue my search. The synopsis I see online doesn't do this book justice. I don't think it's necessary to read what it's about and just go in blind. It's a very human story that follows the lives of two families (with parallels to the story of Cain and Abel) and that's all you need to know. It's so well written and the characters are so real, I've read it many times over just so that I can experience knowing them again. (': Theres a reason why John Steinbeck considers this book his magnum opus. Anyway, I love it so much that I want a physical copy!

1696058917150.png

I have a number of encyclopedias, but a book with a lot of meaning is a gifted copy of, "All That the Rain Promises and More: A Hip Pocket Guide to Western Mushrooms" by David Arora. My best friend got me this book for my birthday, along with a guided foraging tour and long table experience. She knew I was interested in foraging and went out of her way to let me experience it. It's genuinely a great pocket guide, and I've tabbed a number of pages on it.

Last edited: