1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. One post per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
We all have our favourite authors or people we look up to in terms of writing. Who are writers that have inspired you to pick up the keyboard/pen and who has influenced your style? Share!

You know my style has been heavily influenced by Jane Austen, Rick Riordan, and Brian Jacques. I'll always attribute my more intense love of writing to PJO, but Jane Austen probably has the strongest influence on my writing overall.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Nemopedia
Honestly, Maren Stoffels and fan-writing off of AO3- I'm still gaining up to my own style of writing, but for now, I'm adapting to the style of fan writers out there, and adapting to those I RP with in general.

• Bucket of Rainbows
You know my style has been heavily influenced by Jane Austen, Rick Riordan, and Brian Jacques. I'll always attribute my more intense love of writing to PJO, but Jane Austen probably has the strongest influence on my writing overall.
I agree with this sentiment. The Jane Austen in your writing is strong, which is a lovely thing. 🤣

Honestly, Maren Stoffels and fan-writing off of AO3- I'm still gaining up to my own style of writing, but for now, I'm adapting to the style of fan writers out there, and adapting to those I RP with in general.
Now list the fanfiction writers you follow on Ao3. No shame there! 👀 It is totally fair to still be searching for your own style and voice, I always like to think that to be a never-ending journey in itself.

To answer my own question; a huge inspirator is J. Bernlef, who was a Dutch author known for his simple, but effective writing style. Dude manages to hit emotions really well without the need for big fancy words or overt descriptions. I aspire to write something that will forever carry like the last paragraph of his book 'Hersenschimmen' (Out of Mind).

In more recent years I find myself admiring a bunch of other authors that I hope are leaving behind their legacy in my writing. Like Neil Gaiman, to name someone still alive. Just love the way he weaves myths into a modern setting so smoothly without needing to explain, it just makes sense. If I can capture a fraction of that I'm happy.

Depends on my mood but my influences have always been Terry Goodkind and Patrick Rothfuss. The detail, mmmm yes please.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Like a decade ago now, my current roommate once said my writing reminded her of Mercedes Lackey - funny because at the time I hadn't read Lackey (I have since). I've been reading a lot of Lois McMaster Bujold the last few years and that has definitely influenced how I write characters and character interaction. I'm not mad about it

• Bucket of Rainbows
@Nemopedia I don't follow specific authors, seeing as I don't have an account anymore. (The one I had was just gathering dust, so I deleted it.) Though, the ones I did read were really either Pokémon based, ones by my friend NaniKitty, go check her out, or smut- not together, but I guess you get the idea. Everyone on there had different writing styles and it's really interesting to read each one.

My greatest influences are J. K. Rowling, Gary Paulsen, Chistopher Paolini, Elana A. Mugdan, and (probably) Mildred Abbott, Tracy A. Akers (I don't recommend this author), and Rick Riordan.

I think I picked up on a more poetic/literary (I guess) writing style because of Christopher and Elana.

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
If authors inspire my writing, I don't think I've ever noticed it. Usually the people I end up mimicking are rp partners that I really admire LOL My style is heavily inspired by many of the partners I had growing up, as well as some that I really think are cool now. Not gonna drop any names though, since I don't wanna be weird about it LMAO

• Bucket of Rainbows
@Nemopedia I don't follow specific authors, seeing as I don't have an account anymore. (The one I had was just gathering dust, so I deleted it.) Though, the ones I did read were really either Pokémon based, ones by my friend NaniKitty, go check her out, or smut- not together, but I guess you get the idea. Everyone on there had different writing styles and it's really interesting to read each one.
I have followed one particular fanfiction writer for ages as well (since young teens at least) and I find it fascinating to hear about others having a similar person they follow around online. Fanfiction moves on so fast and I know that many of the writers I used to follow back then all have moved on (I hope) leaving their old works unfinished (rip that JeanMarco I was following). It is super interesting to dabble into and definitely worth it!

If authors inspire my writing, I don't think I've ever noticed it. Usually the people I end up mimicking are rp partners that I really admire LOL My style is heavily inspired by many of the partners I had growing up, as well as some that I really think are cool now. Not gonna drop any names though, since I don't wanna be weird about it LMAO
Name drop them. They could use the ego, I feel. ;^)

Though there is also a writer's appreciation thread that really needs to be revived.