Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
I'm open to a wide range of genres. Obscenely wide. It's harder for me to list all I do like than all I don't like.

My favorite settings are fantasy combined with something else, multiverse, post-apoc, historical (mixed with something else), and futuristic. I'm not limited to those, but it's a good start.

My favorite genres include mystery, adventure, action, drama, tragedy (must be mixed with something else and kept balanced), romance (again must be mixed, and more.

I'm happy to include elements of slice-of-life and romance, but doing them on their own doesn't hold my interest indefinitely.
[warning=yellow]
Sorry to spook you guys with the scary exclamation point just to the left, but I have an announcement regarding the status of my upcoming exercise series!

With the new rearrangement of the forums, I'm gonna re-evaluate some of my plans. I'm still wanting to do the exercise series about planning and OOC practice, BUT I may be able to come up with another series for another section, as well.

And for those of you waiting patiently (or impatiently) for that planning and OOC practice series? It's slow coming, but the planning outline has taken form! There is progress, even if slow.

It is definitely not forgotten! Keep faith. ;)
[/warning]

My Writing Explorations series of exercises are a chance for users to explore new concepts and practice the art of raising two fingers to Writer's Block while screaming obscenities to fickle muses: to rebel against the idea that a person requires a mythical force inside them to make new and amazing things.

No. Listen well, users: there is no being inside you waiting to be let out. You are the writer, and in this exercise, you are given a place to push not only against Writer's Block, but also against the forces of stagnation. Feel trapped in your genre? Explore a new one! Stuck with a singular archetype? Do something else! In this thread, you will not be critiqued, and I will read every entry and let you know what makes me happy about it. Should you wish it, I will happily offer my thoughts on how it might be improved, but I will not comb looking for fixes: this isn't the place: this place is for safely trying new things and indulging a love of writing.

Shake the bars of your cell block and roar, writers!

[fieldbox=How do I take part?]Curious about how this works? Good! Look over the offered themes and prompts and the bonus rounds, then think about them. Then, take your thoughts and get writing. You can write to one or more (or none) of the prompts, the theme in the thread title, the bonuses: hell, you can even cast aside all of what I offer if you get a different idea.

The whole point is "get writing!"[/fieldbox]

Themes:
  1. Earth is discovered at long last. It can be the first discovery or a rediscovery. This leads to problems, either on Earth or elsewhere.
  2. An explosion of life from the solution to a major previous conflict is the direct cause of a new conflict.
  3. A flood (water, paperwork, people, etc.) causes major problems—including an unexpected one so dire it requires immediate action.

Bonus Rounds:
  • Write in a random genre.
  • Someone really hates the color blue, but loves green. They're conflicted about teal.
  • The soundtrack of choice (for either writing this or for a character) is all blues.
  • Kill off anyone with a green thumb.
  • Someone unexpected is very knowledgeable about gardening.
  • Blue skies turn green (often a sign of bad weather such as tornadoes).

Reactions: MST3K 4ever
There was a girl group back in the 1960's that once sang a song called, "Mama said there'd be days like this." I've had a few days like that, but none like this one. Where it involved me hanging from a PVC drain pipe with water coming out of it making my grip very hard to continue, to most people the water is a constant stream but to me it's rushing at a tremendous force, while a frog is underneath me, and oh yeah a few "Men-In-Black" rejects are looking for me as well and sooner or later they're bound to find me. So again not had a lot of days like this one in the past, but I'm guessing I will have a few more like this in the foreseeable future. I guess I should introduce myself at this point. Hi, my name is Dr. Valerie Kramer, former high school science teacher and current four inch tall freak of nature.

Now, how did I end up here? It's a bit of a story sounds like something out of a bad 1950's sci-fi film, but for me its reality. Get comfy this is could take a bit to explain. About six weeks ago I was living in a small town in South Carolina teaching high school science. I used to be a professor at UCLA, where I got a PHD, and I was the youngest person to be hired to the science department at the age of 24. Well, that lasted about 18 months when I filed a sexual harassment complaint against the Department Chair, and he had connections and friends. I had none of that so I was dismissed. Not only was I dismissed I was black-balled in the scientific community. I finally got the job in South Carolina last year, so that puts me at the age of 27 for those of you keeping score at home. Anyway, in June a meteorite crashed in our small town and being the science nerd I am I went to check it out. However, The Government was already on the site and so I waited for about a month until after they left. I visited the site and thought nothing of it figuring if there was still a risk to the public The Government would've stopped me. While I was there I put my right hand on the ground and a shard of glass pierced my glove. I went to pull it out with a set of tweezers, but it was gone. I was infected with a shard of the meteorite. I didn't notice any immediate major side effects until about two days later. I realized my clothes were fitting looser and I wasn't on a diet. I then discovered I was slowly shrinking. I was going to go visit the University of South Carolina's science department, but I didn't know The Government already had me under a microscope as it were. I got to my car and then I felt something pierce my skin again, and then I blacked out. When I came to I was strapped down to a table in a dark blue, I guess unitard I mean that's what I felt like. There were a few scientists standing over me, but there was one woman with red hair and wearing a green pants suit. She introduced herself as Susan, and that was all. She said, "I have big plans for you." I asked, "Can you return me to normal size?" She replied, "Why would I want to do that? You are about to become one of our greatest assets in the field of Covert Operations. Spying, assassinations, smuggling, the list is endless Valerie." With that she opened up a box exposing me to the full blast of the meteorite. As the rays flooded over me the next thing I knew the room got bigger around me. The feeling of watching everything grow around me and there was nothing I could do about it was, to be kind, humbling. It was feeling like being in front of the board at UCLA all over again but this time I actually was as tall as I felt. They closed the box once I reached four inches in height. I was then taken off the table by Susan and she held me in her hand. Being carried around like a toy was the worst feeling I've ever had. I was taken to a dollhouse and Susan said, "This where you will now be calling home little lady. You are now property of the United States Government." I had no choice in this, and there was no one I could call for help. I'm not exactly the social type, and I tended to look down on the people in the town I lived in. Their big news was last month the library got Wi-Fi and a computer with Windows 8 on it. While I trained getting in better physical shape I also hatched an escape plan. I executed it, and now I'm here.

The water is getting more intense. They probably have a guess where I am. If they catch me who knows what they will end up doing to me to keep me from escaping, and right now the frog looks like he is going to wait me out. Okay, there's gotta be a way out of this. I say, "I refuse to believe I'm going to die like this. I am not going to be a freak. I'm D.r Valerie Kramer kick-ass scientist and damnit I will not go down like this. Even if I am only a few inches tall!" Through the gloves on my blue unitard I can feel the water temperature increasing. If this keeps up soon my hands are going to start blistering. I can't stay here much longer and my arms are getting heavy. I need to do something now, because I can hear the guards starting to approach my area. I see a soda can not too far from me, but I still have to elude the frog and the guards. Now there's something I never thought I would have to do when I was studying for my PHD. Here's where I have to apply angles and physics. I begin to swing slowly building up momentum, and then I release my grip. A couple of flips and I hit a nearby reed at a good angle which propels me to the soda can. I land on top of the can and quickly climb in it, and with that the stream begins to carry me away. Where I'm off to next? I don't know, but I do know this life just got very interesting for me. I lean back into the can and say, "All right Valerie you wanted to get away from it all. Here's your chance live it up."

Reactions: The Mood is Write
@MST3K 4ever
A strong start on this one! Interesting. =)

Reactions: MST3K 4ever