Writing Challenge - Heat of the Moment (Fighting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ElBell

Ah, just as you think I am gone, I return with yet another challenge! This week, I present a challenge on characters handling the heated feeling of a fight's darkest moment. Pretty much inevitably, a roleplay will contain some sort of conflict of some size during the course of it's life. Almost reliably this leads to some verbal or physical fighting between groups or characters, and most fights have a heated moment in which a character or group may lash out, close down, snap, or fall to bits. That exact reaction however, will vary on both character, player, and situation.

For this challenge, you are attempting to write a heated moment in a fight scene (romance will come later, I assure you!). It can be a verbal fight, physical fight, or a combination of the two. Your character or group can be any setting and any response to the situation at hand. As always, the only solid rule of the challenge is to enjoy what you're writing!

We had defied the gods, the ones that had given us such strength to begin with, those of the same blood, had come to finally stand on opposing sides of the same battlefield. We were supposed to save the world, instead here we are bringing death to those who would come between us. It was a game almost, the only way for us to find a release was to fight one another, the most powerful beings this world had ever seen. 'Blood Angels' they called us, based on our blood red wings, though we were few, and our grand objective was to protect the world, and it's inhabitants. But to think, that even Angels could be flawed....

Standing up out of the small crater I had just created due to the impact of being thrown down from the air, I felt the rubble fall off my shoulders and chest as I looked up to her, flying there, her wings beating against the wind and rain that poured down all around us, her eyes were cold, yet fiery, matching the fire red hair that drooped along her shoulders and face, wet now from the heavy rain. She is my twin sister, since birth she and I had been fighting and training with each other, I never imagined she would be coming at me like this, this was something entirely different, the strikes, the attacks, it was like she wanted me dead now.....

"Val.....It doesn't have to come to this..."

"The hell do you know, Julius, Father treated you like some kind of Prince."

Prince?....They were all held to the same expectation, they were 'Blood Angels', so they were treated as such, Julius was born to lead them to Earth, and under his direction, they would protect the people of Earth and carry on the duties, just as those before them had. Val...She had never accepted that she was sworn to some sort of bodyguard service, and had long-since lived among the Humans since they were both children. Did she hate him because he did not follow her when she ran from her duties?

"Father taught me to be a leader, so we could protect the world together...not fight among one another like some rouge band of mercenaries."

"Tch....Some leader you turned out to be, our youngest brother is dead, and Charlotte is no longer one of our ranks, were the last ones left, and I sure as hell ain't about to fight no war for you."

Her words like glass, Julius knew of his failures, but never before had someone pointed them out in such a harsh way, the blood of the others was on his hands, and as his iris's lit up red he slowly looked up to his sister.

"But I did not abandon them....Did I, sister...?"

(This thread has occurred at a most fortuitous time; I was just about to start on this scene for my novel ^^)

The plan had worked out perfectly; Phenex had come, just as Reeves knew he would. If there was one thing that could be counted upon, it was the firebird's predictability. It had been no accident when Reeves had 'let slip' about Her Ladyship, knowing full well that if Phenex and the rest of those insufferable High Council lapdogs escaped, the first thing he would do—after tending to his insignificant daemon sidekick, of course—was check the legitimacy of Reeves' claim.

Now was not the time to be congratulating himself, however. If he wanted to initiate the next phase of his plan, he would have to be quick—otherwise whatever Regulations Force unit had received the distress call in the first place would be there before he even got the chance.

Seeing Phenex's look of disgust as he glanced at the surrounding horde, Reeves smiled. "Oh, don't worry; it's not them you'll be fighting." He spread his hands wide, almost amicably, "They're just here to spectate. From now on, it's just you and me, firebird—just like you wanted." When Phenex said nothing, he went on, the corners of his mouth curling into a grin. "Tell me, how is that little human pet of yours doing? She must be falling to pieces, after what Misa did to the daemon."

That was all it took to goad a reaction out of Phenex, fire rippling across his form from head to toe as he lunged at him. Reeves had anticipated this, however, dropping low before Phenex could plunge a fiery fist into his face. It took only a split second to concentrate on his shadow magic, melding with the pavement until he was nothing more than a dark pool on the ground, slipping right under Phenex's nose and directly behind him.

He had just begun to whirl around, lashing out at Reeves with his heel, when the Shade threw a particularly savage punch to his kidneys, Phenex doubling over with a pained groan. Reeves followed this up with another punch to his ribs, then another, until Phenex, fire leaping off of him in brilliant flashes of red and orange, got in a lucky uppercut, Reeves staggering back with a growl, one leather-clad hand wiping the trail of blood from his chin.

From that point on, it was all Reeves could do to avoid Phenex's attacks, flames trailing behind both fists with every jab thrown his way. Anger burned deep in his gut, forcing shadowy wisps to coil from his shoulders, swaying in time with his movements as he continued dodging. He needed a way to distract him, anything that would grant him the opening he needed in order to get the upper hand. Much as he hated to admit it, Phenex was the stronger of the two of them—he knew it, had always known it, in fact, since their first encounter fifty years ago—but that didn't mean he was going to let him win easily.

Or at all, for that matter. No, Reeves had a few tricks left up his sleeve, and he intended to make use of them.

Just as Phenex's fist was about to connect with his cheek, Reeves phased out, leaving only an after-image of himself behind. He saw confusion flit across Phenex's face, tawny eyes narrowing when his fist met with nothing but open air. He wouldn't remain confused for long, however; if Reeves wanted to win this battle, he had to strike now.

(That's all I got, so far.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.