Why Do People Prefer Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Immortal_Chaos

Original poster
Recently, the majority of people love sport. I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with however is this;

Person: Why do you read books? It's a waste of time
Me: Because I enjoy reading them
Person: Pfft, no you don't, books are boring, retard, stupid head, (long list of childish insults) *walks off*

My question is why do most people act like this, and social norm is to be very sporty. Lay down your theories and research to finally find out why!

Extra: When you think about, it's a bit of a paradox how scientifically advanced we are yet academically intelligent people are 'weird'

PLUS this may not of happened to you, you may disagree. Of course people can disagree. If so list reasons why down below, but still I would prefer it to be a discussion not debate

I personally hate sports, with the exception of badminton. Back in high school, I hated physical education with a passion. I must admit, while I'm not out of shape or overweight, I am very unfit. Oh well. I dislike exercise in general. I blame it all on my laziness, to be honest.

However, I've never come across anyone who thinks books are for, as you say, 'retards'. As far as I know, it's the not the social norm to be sporty at all. I think being sporty does contribute to popularity in a high school setting, though.

Reactions: Minibit
The academically intelligent have always been comprised of the weird. The majority just enjoy the revelations of the minority who put in the time and effort to pursue intellectual ideals. I mean, if you think about it, the very idea of going to pursue the unknown and discover new things runs contrary to what is already known, which is what people are most comfortable with. So the intellectually gifted will always be seen as weird by those around them, who prefer the comfort of conformity to what is, rather than what may be.

Not that sports are necessarily inferior. I enjoy watching Hockey anyway.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Sadly, my favorite sport of high noon shootout hasn't been in vogue for over a century.

It's also fun pointing out to people that memorizing sports statistics is just as nerdy as memorizing Pokemon stats.

Sports are fun and great entertainment, but sadly for me televised paintball tournaments haven't been a big thing for a while.

Sadly, my favorite sport of high noon shootout hasn't been in vogue for over a century.

It's also fun pointing out to people that memorizing sports statistics is just as nerdy as memorizing Pokemon stats.

Sports are fun and great entertainment, but sadly for me televised paintball tournaments haven't been a big thing for a while.
Ah, those good old televised paintball tournaments. Lol, that's a sport Id enjoy watching

Lots of people read and like sports, and lots of people who like sports don't really have a problem with people who don't. I don't know who you're basing this image on, but please know that a lot of sports fans are nice people who happen to enjoy a sport!

Reactions: Torsty and Lady B
Ah, those good old televised paintball tournaments. Lol, that's a sport Id enjoy watching

I'll never get tired of watching that famous Ollie Lang clip that basically propelled him into superstardom. I also loved when Edmonton Impact first arrived on the NPPL pro tournament scene and mopped the floor with everyone, including Dynasty and the Iron Men.

Honestly, I enjoy doing both.

I find sports and exercise to be very rewarding, in a physical and emotional sense, I find I sleep better and are more confident when I feel physically fitter. As for the people I do these activities with, I find it easier to make friends with people you have something to talk with. A surprising thing is that athletes and sports fan can get quite nerdy and obsessive over their chosen activity. Very easy to draw parallels between them and regular nerds, really.

I've only met one person who was so venomous at the idea of reading, everyone thought he was a douche, you say douche and that is the image of who comes to mind.

Reactions: Torsty and Minibit
Honestly, I enjoy doing both.

I find sports and exercise to be very rewarding, in a physical and emotional sense, I find I sleep better and are more confident when I feel physically fitter. As for the people I do these activities with, I find it easier to make friends with people you have something to talk with. A surprising thing is that athletes and sports fan can get quite nerdy and obsessive over their chosen activity. Very easy to draw parallels between them and regular nerds, really.

I've only met one person who was so venomous at the idea of reading, everyone thought he was a douche, you say douche and that is the image of who comes to mind.

The absolute main problem I have with sports is that I must just live in a place where everybody hates each other, because say when I was a bit younger, I would try playing soccer or something. People say, oh my god don't play with us your so bad... So this causes me to not be able to practice sport, because I/mom couldn't afford personal lessons. And then when I am not to bad at playing whatever sport it is... People always argue. And argue. And argue. Even when it's obvious. Then sometimes when it was blatantly obvious that the other team scored, my own team starts yelling at me. So yea, lol, maybe I should just move someplace else

I played baseball for 4 years. It was my favorite sport to play. I did it for the sake of doing something and being occupied outside the house. Ended up realizing I was pretty good at it and ended up being named captain of the team while also winning a few championships.

It really started out as a passtime for me, but became a passion. I don't see nothing wrong with people who prefer to read books and such. I did both really.

Recently, the majority of people love sport. I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with however is this;

Person: Pfft, no you don't, books are boring, retard, stupid head, (long list of childish insults) *walks off*

My question is why do most people act like this, and social norm is to be very sporty. Lay down your theories and research to finally find out why!

Extra: When you think about, it's a bit of a paradox how scientifically advanced we are yet academically intelligent people are 'weird'

PLUS this may not of happened to you, you may disagree. Of course people can disagree. If so list reasons why down below, but still I would prefer it to be a discussion not debate
Chess is actually a sport. You should say that you do do sports if you play chess lol.

But in truth I did have the exact situation happen to me and people knew I'm very blunt and have great reasons for everything so when a friend asked me the exact same question in a similar fashion my response was "Why are you an idiot?" Almost got into a fight but apparently said friend wanted to hear me out so I explained to him exactly why I liked reading (and degraded him for thinking reading and learning are both stupid,lame or w/e..) Next time I saw him he was reading. xD

But Yeah, when it comes to sports overall they are fun physical (and mental at times) activities that train the muscles of your body. People do have their own definitions of fun so what might be fun to one person might not be fun to others. Some sports appeal to some people, others have no appeal at all to said person and are ignored. Like reading, sports hold a very vast variety of activities that a person can do. Each with their own set of rules, mindsets and ways to play the game. The same could also be said about listening to music, watching movies or playing a videogame... What is good or bad is based off of the person as an individual more so than an actual group.

As you might well know also, the individual that called you childish names is just one individual out of an entire world of sports so I wouldn't completely stray from ever playing sports, just like that one person shouldn't completely stray and keep away from all books with utter prejudice. You might find a sport you'd like and be really good at, just like that one person in your story might one day find and read a book they actually like in the future.

In the end, the best way to answer you question is through a rather simple answer. "Because it is fun." The exact same answer you gave when you were asked why you read books.

You know I was reading an article where this stereotype seems to be fading in favor of the Yale bound well read athlete who has both brains and brawn

If anything the sports divide seems to now be between conventional and unconventional sports

Mind you I've been out of school for a couple years at this point, but even in university, the geek social circle was still going to the gym and playing football on the yard, even if they aren't good enough to play on the team

At anime conventions I am seeing more six packs than I ever did 15 years ago

Thoughts?

Reactions: Torsty
I love some sports... like football (soccer) and hockey.

I wasn't aware that loving sports was a recent thing. Though it makes my love of the Dallas Cowboys that much more meaningful.

As for the other stuff that kind of connects to what you started talking about...

I would say that reading books isn't a thing to fuss over, so just ignore people who say otherwise. I've learned that ignoring people gets way easier with practice.

And intelligent people aren't necessarily weird, all people are weird. I used to know this girl who was really popular and she liked the smell of my dirty room. So, there's that.

I wasn't aware that loving sports was a recent thing. Though it makes my love of the Dallas Cowboys that much more meaningful.

As for the other stuff that kind of connects to what you started talking about...

I would say that reading books isn't a thing to fuss over, so just ignore people who say otherwise. I've learned that ignoring people gets way easier with practice.

And intelligent people aren't necessarily weird, all people are weird. I used to know this girl who was really popular and she liked the smell of my dirty room. So, there's that.
Well... Ok lol, thank you for that info

I find it difficult to say that anything is the "social norm" because it's different depending on who you ask (which is evident after actually reading the whole thread). I think the idea that there is even such thing as a social norm is an illusion created by the various forms of media and entertainment that we just blindly accept without question. Everyone's experience of society as a whole is independent and vastly unique, to say that anything is a norm is the say that the vast majority of humanity has or will experience it; and given how big and diverse the human race is, that's just very unlikely.

A lot of people may like sports, but that doesn't mean if you don't like sports you're weird, that's a matter of opinion. A lot of people don't like sports, and I've met people who think liking sports is weird. In fact, when we talk about sports fans, we think of the obsessive, yelling at the TV screen, aggressive, and even superstitious; that's not a social norm, that's a stereotype, and I despise stereotypes. Not all sports fans fall into that category, in fact I would almost say that most fall into the more casual range of fandom, but then I'd also be stereotyping. The problem is that we see stereotypes expressed a lot in movies and TV, as it's infinitely easier than recreating the diversity among a group that's present in real life. As a result we tend to interpret that as the "norm" when in actuality that's almost never the case. In other words, you can't judge society based on how you've seen it represented.

Also, keep in mind this is all very cultural. Sports may be greatly emphasised in America and maybe even in some other countries, but not every country has such interest in sports. So really, instead of calling them social norms, we should really call them cultural norms, but even that's a little iffy as you could also argue that a cultural norm isn't always so normal.

Basically what I'm trying to say here is that there's no such thing as normal, only an illusion of normality created by the various forms of media providing us with false stereotypes. I think we should all just remain open minded and not judge based entirely on what we seen before. I know I'm getting a little too deep and drifting away from the topic now, but this is my opinion and I'm sticking to it until convinced otherwise. It is just an opinion, by the way, I fully accept the possibility that I could be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't exactly have a lot to do with brains vs. brawn as some have suggested. It all comes down to basic instincts, the primal shit that came with us up the evolutionary ladder.

First off, physical activities and competitions in general are highly regarded because they're signs of fitness and health, and those are things we are naturally inclined to approve of because they indicate worthy mating partners. Seriously. Freud wasn't completely talking out of his ass when he said the human mind revolves around sex, he just got ironically way too obsessed with dicks and went off in a weird direction with it. Approval of general fitness goes along with things like attraction to symmetrical faces as basic things our ape brains use to say "hey, go sex them, their offspring will probably be healthy." This is part of the reason people like watching sports, because it's basically an abstract parallel of checking out someone hot person's body.

Second, we like competition, plain and simple. It gets the blood and various chemicals in the brain flowing, and they feel good. It's best when we're actually a part of the competition going on, but thanks to our brains being really fancy we can vicariously enjoy competitions that we're not a part of. This is why you see people getting so ridiculously invested in a particular team: it's pretty much a subconscious (or conscious in some cases) self-insertion into the team. They work themselves up to thinking that they're really part of it, because that makes it more exciting and fun.

Third, sports are a display of positive social interaction. Humans are hierarchical social creatures, and we all aspire to have tons of friends and good relationships with people. Sports teams and people who are enthusiastic about sports tend to be pretty solid on the groups of friends thing, and that drives people to approve of them. On the other hand, reading is a loner activity, and doing things alone reads as a person being a social failure, and our funny little ape brains see that and say "nope, social outcast, there must be something wrong with them, fuck 'em." That's why a lot of bullying is directed at people who read a lot or play video games a lot or are just really quiet and not very sociable. It's just a really basic "sociable = good, not sociable = bad" thing that we just naturally think because throughout the history of our species and our ancestor species those who were not sociable had a very hard time finding a mate and producing offspring, and that legacy rears its head today in the form of picking on nerds.

So there you go, that's my take on it. By the way, the above was mainly my opinion, not necessarily stuff backed up by psychological studies and whatnot. It could be, but I didn't bother doing any research and I don't recall seeing anything confirming most of the above, so take it all with a grain of salt.

Hatsune Candy said:
I find it difficult to say that anything is the "social norm" because it's different depending on who you ask (which is evident after actually reading the whole thread). I think the idea that there is even such thing as a social norm is an illusion created by the various forms of media and entertainment that we just blindly accept without question. Everyone's experience of society as a whole is independent and vastly unique, to say that anything is a norm is the say that the vast majority of humanity has or will experience it; and given how big and diverse the human race is, that's just very unlikely.

Eh, defining the social norm is pretty easy, actually. The thing that makes it slippery is that it's totally subjective and it changes frequently. The social norm isn't anything to do with what the vast majority of people like, it's what the majority are willing to accept as being normal. It comes down to a tautology: the social norm is what society considers normal. Currently it would violate the social norm to run around in public dressed in nothing but a polar bear mask while yodeling, but if at some point a majority of people would just shrug and not think much of it then it would be a social norm. This is why seemingly mutually exclusive things (such as being a political conservative and being a political liberal) can both be the social norm. It's not about a majority shared experience or opinion, it's simply a majority acceptance of such things being okay.

Oh, also, social norms obviously don't apply to humanity as a whole. They vary from place to place, just like social customs and laws, and for the exact same reasons. There is indeed a vast range of differences present in humanity, but it is indeed also possible to discover the prevailing sentiments of people in certain areas of the world.

Last edited:
Eh, defining the social norm is pretty easy, actually. The thing that makes it slippery is that it's totally subjective and it changes frequently. The social norm isn't anything to do with what the vast majority of people like, it's what the majority are willing to accept as being normal. It comes down to a tautology: the social norm is what society considers normal. Currently it would violate the social norm to run around in public dressed in nothing but a polar bear mask while yodeling, but if at some point a majority of people would just shrug and not think much of it then it would be a social norm. This is why seemingly mutually exclusive things (such as being a political conservative and being a political liberal) can both be the social norm. It's not about a majority shared experience or opinion, it's simply a majority acceptance of such things being okay.

Oh, also, social norms obviously don't apply to humanity as a whole. They vary from place to place, just like social customs and laws, and for the exact same reasons. There is indeed a vast range of differences present in humanity, but it is indeed also possible to discover the prevailing sentiments of people in certain areas of the world.
Ohh, okay, I think I get it now. It doesn't have to be normal for it to be considered a social norm, it just has to be accepted as normal, right, it makes sense. I'm not entirely sure if I like the way that is, though, as I feel it could be problematic. That's a discussion for another day, however.

Just to add to what others have said:

People tend to eschew that which they are unskilled at. This isn't a blanket rule, but you'll find that people who are bad at maths don't enjoy maths, or people who are bad at football don't tend to play much. If somebody is insecure about their ability at something, it can become pretty natural to play down and disregard the importance of that thing, so as not to feel a failing in oneself.
You'll see this all the time with social ineptitude - you'll meet tonnes of people who feel socially insecure and therefore come to view "popularity" with a sort of loathing. The concept of "normalfaggotry" and stuff illustrates this perfectly, where people lay scorn on others for basic, normal stuff like going to parties, having a girlfriend, or freaking moving out of their parents' home. They vilify those skilled at what they are not, and what they often wish they were good at.

So someone who insults you for reading may well do so because they're not particularly literary themselves, and have come to reject it out of their own insecurity about that issue. And potentially they love sports because that is something they feel more talented at, or because (referring to Jorick's post) it's something they can enjoy vicariously and makes them feel good and included. Mix in some societal programming, which we're all exposed to, such as the whole brains vs. brawn, nerds vs. jocks crap, and you have someone who eschews reading and academics, and views sports or whatever they're into as the pinnacle of human society.

Of course, this is all very generalised and oversimplified. Keep that in mind; as others have said, the vast majority of people enjoy aspects of all walks of life. There's rarely some clear-cut divide where someone completely rejects an entire class of things, and completely embraces another - and when that does happen, it's quite often down to their own insecurity about that thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.