Who is/are your favorite movie character(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GhostJoker

Original poster
Out of all the movies out there, who are your favorite protagonists/antagonists? It does not have to be from a sole movie. You can name several of them if you'd like. So to start the topic off, i'll give my favorite character.

This may come off as obvious to some of you and if you didn't already know, my favorite movie character is the Joker. Which Joker you may ask? Heath Ledger's Joker from The Dark Knight.

HeathJoker.png

Now I know that some may think that i'm jumping on the Heath Ledger Joker bandwagon since he has become the most recognizable one to date, but let me explain my reason.

Warning: If you have not seen The Dark Knight, do note that this contains spoilers of scenes from the movie

This Joker was different from previous ones. He took a more serious and psychotic route while also keeping some of his trickster ways. This one in my opinion did not take the traditional Joker route that many of us know from the Batman cartoons or older movies. He was more crazy and barely cut any jokes or funny moments. He was more toward causing havoc and not giving a damn to what the consequences are.

joker-prison-close-just-how-different-was-nolan-s-third-batman-movie-supposed-to-be.jpeg

This Joker did not care for money or himself either. As seen in the movie, he burned stashes of money while saying some quote (that I can't remmember) about it not being the money. He wasn't afraid to die as shown in the hospital scene where he took two-faces gun himself and pointed it as his own head, another scene was when he was taking the risk of standing in the middle of the street for Batman to run him over and another being when Batman threw him off a building which made him laugh maniacally. In early versions of Joker, he cared about money and cared for his safety. This particular Joker threw safety out the window.

However, there is one fault. I had a conversation with a few earlier today and @The Butterfly brought up a good point that the A+ performance of Heath Ledger's Joker has made others forget about all the other Jokers. Although, this performance may have been super, we can't forget about the original Joker. Heath Ledger's Joker was more of it's "Own" version that kind of forgot about the traditional aspects, but in the end, it all worked out.

jokers.jpeg

These are my reason of why Heath Ledger's Joker was my favorite out of the three.

Reactions: Poetic Justice
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.
634309-v_for_vendetta_20051208093357493_000.jpg

@GhostJoker If you're putting down spoilers, I suggest wrapping the text in spoiler tags, that way everyone can contribute without being spoiled. (:

As for my favorites? Well, there's always...

51N%2Bo-vFSML._SX342_.jpg

Peter Quill (Star-Lord) played by Chris Pratt

BUT. I must say, characters that have been my favorites for a long time are...

x-men3_20.jpg

Wolverine played by Hugh Jackman

AND

27509-221042-6add5a2ad0c6fa5939026da24ffdbe6b.jpg

Captain Jack Sparrow played by Johnny Depp

• Thank You
Reactions: GhostJoker
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.
634309-v_for_vendetta_20051208093357493_000.jpg

it is also a very good to meet him, and you may call him V

...he is, like, a crazy person

Gandalf can have a spot in here too.

Hngh. That's a good question. :/

287899__28507.1411172672.500.500.jpg

tumblr_m9kt29B7P21r6jhq9o1_400.gif

The-Others-1.jpg

latest

whitechristmas.jpg

Tallahassee from Zombieland

The entire fellowship from LOTR

Agents J and K from the Men in Black movies

Wall-E

And a bunch more! 8D

Reactions: Dawn and GhostJoker
Obi-Wan of Star Wars

Cyclops of X-Men

Forrest Gump

Rebecka (Aka Tank Girl) from Tank Girl

R from Warm Bodies

Susan and Death from The Hogfather

Miranda Priestly from the Devil Wears Prada

The sorceress and bard from The Gamers: Dorkness Rising

Leeloo from The Fifth Element

The entire cast of Serenity.

I can't think of a lot of the other character names, but I tend to really love the female badasses and quirky female characters a lot. They typically end up being my most enjoyed character types. However, this list is pretty satisfactory at 4 am.

Reactions: Dawn and GhostJoker
Just movies, eh? Alright. I'll throw it in a spoiler because images. I'll try to avoid actual plot spoilers in the explanation though.

Derek Vinyard from American History X
sdnd2lv.jpg

Possibly my favorite character from any movie ever, which probably makes sense since American History X is my favorite movie ever. To explain it with minimal spoilers, Derek's character development through the movie is shown perfectly in a non-linear telling of how he went from a nice young man to the the neo-Nazi you see above and then how he got past it and realized his mistakes in life. The worst/best part about it is that he's so charismatic that his explanations of why he believes in the neo-Nazi shit is actually an eloquent and fairly convincing argument, not just baseless racism. You get to see all the major influences on his life that led him to and through that stuff, though the plot of the movie is mainly about his younger brother and how he's getting pulled into the white supremacy stuff too. It's just a fucking fantastic movie, some of the best character development I've ever seen, thus this pick.

Bill the Butcher from Gangs of New York
VnUepVb.jpg

Almost any Daniel Day Lewis role could fit on a list of favorite characters. Dude's a master. However, this one is my favorite. I love a good villain, and that's what Bill the Butcher is, a believable villain with a well crafted personality. With such fun lines as "You see this knife? I'm gonna teach you to speak English with this fucking knife!" and "You tell young Vallon I'm gonna paint Paradise Square with his blood. Two coats. I'll festoon my bedchamber with his guts." he's also entertainingly evil, so that's a huge bonus. If a villain can both terrify me with the prospect of coming face to face with him but also make me grin in appreciation of his nastiness, that's a villain I can't help but love.

Hannibal Lecter from The Silence of the Lambs (and also the other Hannibal movies where he's played by Anthony Hopkins)
91Bp2ke.jpg

I hope there aren't many people who actually need this pick explained to them. If you haven't watched this movie you're bad and should fix that. Hannibal Lecter is a great mix of polite gentleman and monster. Y'know how old school Bram Stoker style Dracula was supposed to be a charming maniac who feasted on humans? Yeah, Hannibal Lecter is that same concept but without the need for supernatural explanations. It's just the pure horror of what the extremes of humanity are capable of, and that makes it all the scarier.

Buffalo Bill from The Silence of the Lambs
6fes04E.jpg

And here we have a third type of villain for my list: the utter nutjob. Aside from the way he indelibly put his mark on a particular song and pretty much everything about the associated scene being great, he was a pretty good example of a mentally unstable bad guy. He still falls under some unfortunate Hollywood crazy people tropes, but he wasn't just a murderous psycho, he had major delusions about himself and what his problems actually were and he decided on a crazy way to fix them. I quite enjoy it when depictions of mental illness in films don't make me roll my eyes so hard I risk concussing myself.

Hans Landa from Inglourious Basterds
0ghJsw2.jpg

I feel like having two literal Nazi characters on my list might give a bad impression, but oh well. Hans Landa is another great villain of the terrifying but also amusing brand. Unlike the other Nazi on my list, he's not sympathetic and doesn't really have much in the way of character development, but he's just so damned fun to watch.

Verbal Kint from The Usual Suspects
1DYjR9v.jpg

I can't really explain this one very well without spoilers. He seems to be sort of the fifth wheel of the group of crooks the movie title refers to, but he's the brains of their operation and ends up being the one telling the cops what happened; the movie switches between present time and Verbal telling the cops what went down, and so he ends up kind of playing three roles: present time character, past story character, and past story narrator, and they're all pretty great in their own way. That feels like a really shitty explanation, but hopefully anyone who has watched the movie ought to understand.

One of my favorite antagonists is Sharlto Copley's character "Kruger" in Neill Blompkamp's "Elysium". And one of my favorite protagonists is Jodie Foster's character "Clarice Starling" in Jonathan Demme's "The Silence of the Lambs".

new-green-mile-tom-hanks-the_green_mile-12.jpg

John Coffey- Green Mile

ElizabethDMC.JPG

Elizabeth- Pirates of the Caribbean

Ford_Prefect_2.jpg

Ford Prefect- Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy

Barf.jpg

Barf- Spaceballs

way-way-back-review-1__131116013135.jpg

Owen- The way way back

Hmmm.... took me a while to get my thought process in this, but here goes!

First off, the honorable mentions: Godzilla(totes), Darth Vader, The Joker(Batman 1989 and Dark Knight Versions), Scar, Maleficent, Gaston, Marv, Dwight, plus many more I'm not mentioning.

Koba(Dawn of the Planet of The Apes) - God damn this movie was good. Koba was one of my favourite characters in this movie. You slowly see his progression from Ceaser's right hand...ape? To a deranged leader who wanted nothing more than to put humans in cages due to the treatment he had to endure. He's sympathetic without being too whiny and sad, and just dick-ish enough for you to root for the good guys. Plus he rides a horse whilst dual wielding two guns, that's badass.

Smaug(The Hobbit Trilogy) - I'm a huge fan of Dragons, and Smaug is my favourite type of dragon; Huge, clever, vicious and greedy.

Groot, Rocket and Drax(Guardians of The Galaxy) - I love this movie so much, and I instantly fell for both Groot and Rocket as I knew I would(That big tree guy is just so adorbs, and Rocket is just...he's gr9), but Drax surprised me the most. Dave Bautista did a great job with Drax and with it gave rise to some hilarious scenes.

Dae-Su(Oldboy) - All I can say is watch Oldboy.

Mad Dog(The Raid 1 and 2) - Mad Dog is the vicious brute for the big bad in the first movie, and ooohh boy is he brutally efficient. His final battle in the end of the movie is some of the best choreographed fighting I've seen in a long time.

Kruger(Elysium) - He's a mad man through and through, getting more unhinged as the movie progresses. He's possibly one of my favourite sci-fi movie villains

Rutger Hauer - Pretty much the roles Rutger has done.

Reactions: Mr.Scales ⚖
Babylon 5 had five (six? seven?) movies, so it counts. Obvious spoiler warnings ahead because this show is fantastic and I hate spoiling it.

So let me introduce Babylon 5 to you then. It's hard to pick a favourite but Londo Mollari is certainly as good a choice as any. A comedic character you grow to love who bloodies his hands in the name of patriotism, only to discover that genocide merely begets genocide. Then you have Londo's direct adversary, G'kar, the barbarian who becomes the sage. "What is Truth, and what is God?"

Yep. There are good characters in other films/shows--I love Picard, I love Kane (Citizen Kane), I love Rocket & Groot--but Babylon 5 just takes it for me because I love every character in the first five films and the TV show. There's just too many defining moments to list as to why I love every one of these characters, they've inspired my writing, they've held direct influence on how I interpret plots, it is the golden bar by which I hold all other shows and movies accountable. This series of movies and the TV series is what defines good storytelling in a visual medium to me. There's nothing else quite like it, and I'm afraid nothing else will be quite like it ever again.

Mel Gibson from Braveheart and Leonardo Decaprio from Titanic! :D

Favorite movie characters hmm...
Photo(961).gif

After only seeing the trailer, i still love him!
dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-caesar.gif

All hail Caesar

Reactions: Sylvinar Cross
Status
Not open for further replies.