Original poster

another oat's oath / light bringer

when is a monster not a monster?
oh, when you love it.
oh, when you used to sing it to sleep.
oh, when you are the reason
it has become so mangled.

elliot fletcher.

I SHUT MY EYES AND ALL THE WORLD DROPS DEAD / I THINK I MADE YOU UP INSIDE MY HEAD

Elliot was six when he began to entertain the notion of having an imaginary friend.

The process of growing up felt slow and tedious. The discomfiting feeling of being too small for the world he was born in never seemed to abate. Tables and bookshelves were always too high up, and he always had to crane his neck up to look at anything or anyone worth looking at.

Everything felt perpetually out of reach.

His parents did too, but in a different way. At dinner, they sat themselves at the farthest ends of north and south. Elliot was always perched between them, balancing the knife edge tensions on the tips of his fingers like a fulcrum.

He watched his parents with solemn eyes. His father's smiles were a careful construct, genial and politely interested. His mother's sharp, precise movements reminded him of the inane puppet show one of the nannies had taken him to last month. When his father mentioned, tone offhand, an upcoming business trip that would take him away for a month, her knife scraped over her plate with a screech. His father politely ignored it.

He watched and wondered why no one ever said what they meant, or meant what they said. The world became shaded in, gained facets. Now he had to learn to navigate the nebulous realm of complex adult emotions. White lies with shrivelled, blackened edges.

-​

His parents were worried about him, he knew. They worried about his quietness, his reserved manner around others his age. They thought he was shy.

He wasn't.

The idea of other children his age was quite novel, right up until he'd been introduced to one. He'd hoped to be able to quickly wash his hands of the entire concept, but his parents had insisted he spend time with his cousin, who toddled around on clumsy feet and pressed sticky fingers into all his books.

He ignored her as best he could, retreating into a corner and eyeing his cousin balefully over the top of a book.

His cousin grew as rapidly bored of Elliot as he did of her, which suited him fine. He was left blessed alone, and wasn't disturbed for a long time, until he heard her start chattering again.

Elliot looked up. His cousin poured tea, presumably, and offered it to the blank space next to her, still nattering away. Elliot furrowed his brow, and tried to understand before he asked, "What are you doing?"

She gave him a pitying look. "Having a tea party."

"With who?" He asked, baffled. "Who are you talking to?"

"Charlotte," she replied, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. "I'm playing with her, since you won't play with me."

He narrowed his eyes at her. "There's no one there," he said flatly.

She rolls her eyes. "Don't be stupid. She's my imaginary friend. She only likes to talk to me."

Elliot went quiet, and considered.

-​

That night, Elliot wondered if there was something to the idea of an imaginary friend. The possible benefit of having one, he thought, was that if it came from his own mind, then at least he wouldn't have to worry about it badgering him with stupid questions or messing up the careful order of his books.

He closed his eyes and concentrated. He sketched out the shape of a boy, a little older than him. He named him Adam. He decided, randomly, that his father owned a ranch in Piney Woods. Adam was the middle child of three, was missing one of his front teeth and had knees that were perpetually scraped and dirty.

Adam lasted half a day before Elliot dismissed him. They'd had nothing in common, and the lisp resulting from his missing tooth had driven Elliot to distraction.

After Adam was Cassandra. A woman, and a pirate queen. She had dusky skin, and bright bits of gold embedded in her nose and under her lip. She had kohl rimmed eyes and laughed a lot, and spent most of her time teasing him and reading over his shoulder when he was supposed to be studying.

The attempt was better, this time around, but there were quiet moments when she sat by the window in the morning, staring down at the long driveway as his father left to work. The sad, solemn look lurking in her eyes reminded him of his mother.

In the end, he let her go too, and pulled the silence around him like a shroud.

-​

One day, when he was studying, something slammed into his window.

He looked up just in time to see a small, feathery shape roll off the ledge and into the gardens.

Elliot went to investigate. It took an hour of digging through the shrubs on his hands and knees before he found it, small, bright and still.

For a moment, he wasn't sure if the bright red colouring was its feathers, or if it was blood. But then he saw the wetness trickling from its beak, and its eyes, and from where its body had ruptured from the impact against the window.

The pink of its entrails were unspooling from its body cavity, and its head was twisted around at an unnatural angle—but Elliot still thought it was rather pretty. Its feathers were fine things, with the careful constellation of black dotting its wings, and the stark stripe of red painting its cheeks.

Elliot started to reach out to touch it when a long shadow fell over him.

"What are you doing, Elliot?" His father asked.

Elliot blinked up at his father, before returning his steady gaze back to the bird in front of him. His first encounter with death.

"It's pretty," he said simply, and shrugged.

That was apparently all the answer his father needed. He nodded, and helped Elliot bury the bird. He took him inside to wash his hands, and the next day, gave him an encyclopedia about various bird species.

For the first time, his interest quickened in a way he couldn't explain. He read the book from cover to cover, and discovered that his dead friend had been a Northern Flicker, a member of the woodpecker family.

He learned other things too. That there were birds that ate rotting flesh, that there were smaller birds who hunted larger prey by driving them onto spikes, impaling them. There were even some birds that were blind and hunted by smell.

But somehow his mind always seemed to turn back towards that first bird as inevitably as a compass pointed north. He remembered the shape of it starkly—shattered, feathers mangled, but still fascinating.

He sat in his room, alone and in the dark. He stared at the blank space in the middle of the room, at the way the air seemed to quiver as if begging him to try again.

Creation took longer this time. Whatever lurked beyond the amorphous dark didn't seem to want to come as easily as Adam and Cassandra had. A shape began to form, and Elliot tamped down on the urge to fill it with details. He thought that had been where he'd failed, before. If he left it open, perhaps something would pour into it like a decanter.

He let his mind drift, and thought of feathers, speckled and red. He thought of the way birds canted their heads, the way their eyes would lock onto something with eerie focus. He thought of blood, thought of death and its sickly sweet smell, fermenting in the blistering high noon heat.

With a complete and utter lack of surprise, Elliot watched as all the shadows in the room were dragged away from their objects, as though their tethers had been cut. They coalesced at the centre of the room, and slowly, something began to burble beneath the velvety dark, gathering shape.

Elliot crawled forward, his knees dragging against the rug. When he was an arm's length away, he sat on his haunches to watch as the darkness solidified.

It shifted, as though restless. As it moved, Elliot heard a susurrus sound, like feathers and a hundred different voices sighing.

There was a long moment before one of its eyes cracked open a sliver. It had uncanny yellow irises. One eye, and then two. They opened and fluttered, pupils expanding and contracting, before they narrowed their focus on him with eerie intensity.

He gazed steadily back. "Hello. My name is Elliot."

He waited. When no reply seemed forthcoming, he stood and canted his head. "I made you," he said seriously. "You're mine. Meant for me."

He took two steps back and beckoned. "Come out of the shadows, now. I have something to show you."

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
talon.
I'M HURTING YOU FOR YOUR OWN GOOD / I'D DIE FOR YOU, YOU KNOW I WOULD.

Once he had been nothing, a mass of untapped potential lurking in the dark of a little boy's mind. He knew of this, yet he could not remember such thing as non-being. For him, it was simple; he was not and then he simply was.

Shadow gathered and a strong scent of musk mingled with old blood filled the room, as thoughts were brought to life before their master. Nothing much was perceptible at first, save for a slight pressure in the air; something easily dismissable by jaded or rational individuals. That nearly nothing was something, however, and it grew limbs and feathers and, finally, piercing eyes and red taloned hands and feet; A nightmarish and grotesque parody of a bird in a boy's skin, something that should not be, but was.

The creature knew of it's unnatural state, felt its twisted insides rebel against his form. He was an abomination, yet his thoughts were stunted and circuitous when he tried to think of anything but the boy before him; calling him. For him, who had no true name, the choice was obvious - he was called forth, and so he came.

Emitting a cross between a giggle and a croak, the creature approached his master, his… friend. Yes, this one was his world, so surely he would be his friend as well? Half hunched in a crouch upon his bird feet and half standing tall with his human torso, the creature shuffled forward, using mangled wings upon his back to keep his balance.

"Yes, I am here, Elliot. Do you want to play?" The voice sounded distorted to his own ears, as if both boy and bird talked as one.

He did not care. All he could care about was before him, the boy he had fixated his yellow gaze upon and did not intend to leave for as long as he would be allowed to exist. This was his friend, and nothing would keep him away from this boy.

• Love
Reactions: LXXVI

elliot fletcher.

I SHUT MY EYES AND ALL THE WORLD DROPS DEAD / I THINK I MADE YOU UP INSIDE MY HEAD

Elliot watched as the column of shadow began to tremble and warp, sprouting feathers and limbs. The process didn't didn't seem easy, and Elliot supposed that birth wasn't supposed to be. Something was straining against the membraneous dark. What emerged made his eyes widen, and his breath catch.

Twisted appendages, ragged feathers, an elongated torso, serrated teeth. Elliot tilted his head. They were like pieces of a puzzle, but they didn't seem like they should have been able to fit together. An amalgamation of patchwork desires, and he could see all the seams. Inexplicably, Elliot thought, It hurts to become.

He'd never seen anything like the creature that stood before him. But he wasn't afraid. Somehow, it was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. Even more that that broken northern flicker had been. Something about it called to him, like an echo, or a reflection.

Elliot canted his head as the creature obediently shuffled forward, supported by its ungainly wings. They looked more like feathered lumps of flesh than anything that could make it airborne. The motion looked painful, but Elliot hoped it wasn't.

"Yes, I am here, Elliot." It said, in a voice that sounded astonishingly like his, beneath its dry, raspy croak. "Do you want to play?"

It was right on the tip of Elliot's tongue to say that he did not 'play,' but he stopped short. He didn't particularly wish to, but what if this creature did?

A thought occurred to him then, and he frowned.

Elliot looked sternly at the creature and held up an admonishing finger. "You're jumping ahead of yourself," he informed it. "Social mores dictate that you should introduce yourself when you meet someone for the first time."

"I told you my name, but you never told me yours." Elliot waited expectantly, and furrowed his brows when no answer seemed forthcoming. But then it occurred to him that the creature's silence had more the quality of befuddlement than defiance.

Elliot stepped closer. For the first time, hesitation crept into his voice, gentling it. "Don't you have one?"

• Love
talon.

"Don't you have one?"

Name, have one?

These three words echoed in the creature's mind, distorting already fragmented thoughts into an impossible maze of misery and fear. Did he have a name? No, he did not. Did it need a name? It… should? Maybe Elliot wanted a true friend, one with a name, a personality and a sense of self? But…

He didn't have any of those, only teeth and talons and feathers, all cloyed in blood and darkness.

An unsteady beat hammered at his aching ribcage as the bird in a boy's mind tried to piece together what was simply not here in the first place. He was, but only by Elliot's will, was he? So, if Elliot wanted him to be something else, why was he him and not something different?

His chest hurts, his head hurts… he wanted to bite something so things would stop hurting.

So he did, as he brought one taloned hand to his sharp mouth and gnawed deeply at the surprisingly hard flesh. Blood gushed into his mouth as an horrible sound filled the room.

Was it his own scream, or the sound of his flesh tearing under unyielding teeth? He could not think anymore, all that was running though his chaotic mind was…

'Name, a name, I need a name. Elliot wants me to tell him my name, but I don't have one… namenamenameNaMeNAmeNAME!'

Jaw slackening, the boy's companion fell to his gaunt and misshapen knees, bloodied hand clutching his head as the other scraped at the floor with red stained talons.

All the while, the creature was keening.

• Love

elliot fletcher.

The question, he thought, had been an innocuous one.

When, in a sudden outburst of violence, the creature bit itself with gnashing teeth and began screeling, Elliot had to admit that he had perhaps been wrong.

Most things had names, after all. His parents bid him to give out his, all the time. To towering strangers. To other children. To relatives with features, faintly familiar when he looked in the mirror. Introduce yourself, Elliot.

Elliot William Fletcher. He'd been named after both his grandfathers who, by all accounts, had been great men. Colossi of the oil business. Visionaries and philanthropists. He should feel grateful, he supposed, but sometimes he could feel their shadows drag at his feet. His name was an unexpectedly heavy thing.

But perhaps it was still better than having no name at all. He tried to imagine it. A world where he wasn't Elliot. A world where his parents could stand to be in the same room together, even if he wasn't in it. A world where he wasn't sequestered at the very heart of their echoing, empty mausoleum of a home, like a hidden pearl.

Freedom, he thought briefly, his entire being straining towards the idea. And then—

Unmooring. All tethers sliced clean through, and he felt the terrifying feeling of somehow becoming unstuck from the earth beneath his feet, floating up and away into the distance with no way to get down. Who would he be if he wasn't Elliot?

Elliot stared at the creature in front of him. Curled up on the floor and bloody as it was, it reminded Elliot of that dead northern flicker more than ever. The sound of its high, thin wail was wretched, and threadbare. Disgust seeped into his chest, like a slick of black oil on water. But there was also pity.

His question was not just a question, he realized. It was a yawning chasm that had opened suddenly, beneath this creature's feet. Threatening to swallow him up with its unknownness.

Carefully, Elliot knelt. His hands hovered over the creature's trembling form, unsure of where to touch, unsure of what would hurt. In the end, he closed both hands, gently, around a single, deadly looking claw. His hands felt slick. Outside, the gibbous moon had retreated behind a cloud, and in the dark his hands looked stained with black.

He gripped tighter. "Names can be given," Elliot said. "My parents gave me mine, and if you want, I can give you yours."

The creature still wouldn't raise its head, and Elliot had the thought that perhaps it wouldn't, unless nudged. Unless Elliot asked it to.

Or told it to.

"Stop that now," he said. "Look at me."

He waited, a tension mounting in his chest in a way it hadn't when the creature had been screaming. His hands tightened, and he felt sharp edges digging into the meat of his palm. He ignored it.

The cloud that had been jealously guarding the moon peeled back and suddenly their hands were stained with red.

When the creature finally looked at him, tremulous, Elliot leaned closer, and closer, until his forehead touched the creature's. Staring into those unblinking yellow eyes, he breathed, "Talon."

"Your name is Talon."

• Love
talon.

A deep pit of misery had swallowed him, bringing him into the dark labyrinth of his infant thoughts only for him to be torn free by the orders of his creator. It hurt, but he had to… he needed to obey. Everything that made his being told him to look up to, to listen to this boy who was really all that he knew.

And so, he did… and was rewarded.

A name.

He had a name now. Talon.

He was given a name, and it was with a bright wonder that the newly christened Talon vowed anew his devotion to the boy before him.

Eliott…

To his sharp, yellow eyes, the small boy looked nearly blinding in the dark. So strong was the creature's awe of the one before him that Talon felt his breath freeze in his chest when he looked into his master's eyes. Master… yes, perhaps master was as good a name as friend and creator. Still, while perhaps there was a better term for what he felt for the one called Eliott, Talon had yet to learn it, or its significance.

So Eliott would have to do, he supposed.

Breath still in his aching chest, yet with his eyes unable to leave the brilliant being before him, Talon was at a lost of what to say or do. Part of him still worried about that - about not knowing what to do or say to make his existence as pleasing to Eliott as Eliott's was to Talon, but all thoughts were superficial when he was free to look at the one who was his world.

'He wants me to look at him. He wants me to have a name of his choosing. Perhaps he would also tell me how to be? How to act in order to make him happy?' Talon wondered if he could be that lucky, and it was once again a reaction of the boy that left his wants and hopes abandoned for greater ones, for Eliott's.

Eliott was the greatest, but Talon's ever sharp stare took notice of something worrying; The boy had winced, and with it came the scent of fresh blood unlike the old and rotted one that filled the creature's veins.

Startling with a strangled squawk and taking a much needed gulp of air in his distress, Talon suddenly stood up. With the action came a great sense of disequilibrium, along with a new wave of bloody scent that came from below.

Eyes wide, bright and dilated, Talon shrugged his groggy limbs under his control and took the dark power suffusing his being in order to close his wounds and absorb his spilled blood back into his body. The spectacle of closing flesh and red rivulet running up limbs to disappear into flesh would have been horrifying, but for Talon it was already as natural as he could ever be.

Moreover, Eliott was hurt.

A need to prevent any harm to come to his friend was deeply ingrained into Talon, strengthened by the awe fresh in his mind from the boy's perceived saintly bestowing of a name. He had already failed, yet he could still ease any hurt before it became too much for the two of them to bear.

Sickly yellow slashed through with black passed quickly over the boys form, stopping at the bright red still found in the thin and still slightly outstretched hands. A soft mournful trill passed through the bird's lips before he knelt by Eliott's side. Gently, as carefully as he could manage, Talon took his master's hands in his own taloned ones.

Closing predatory eyes and concentrating, Talon made the wound disappear as if merely a dream. Running delicate circle to the now pristine flesh, the creature opened its eyes.

"Want and I'll be. Wish and I'll make. Please, Eliott, make me part of you… forever." The whisper was like a prayer to a god for Talon, and it was with heavy and unnamed feeling that the birdboy stood with a pale hand still delicately grasped in his similar yet distinctly different appendage that was made like a sharp knife.

Looking at the center of his universe, Talon waited.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.