What's your favorite mermaid story from around the world?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

MiharuAya

Memento Mori
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
Online Availability
My timezone is PST
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Futanari
Genres
Homosexual, Romance, Fantasy, Scifi, Magic, Vampire, Werewolf, Supernatural, Angels/Demons, Superhero, Zombies
Whether it is traditional myths, legends, or modern pieces of media, what is your favorite mermaid story from around the world?

Greek myths about Scylla are fascinating to me. <3 I dunno if she'd be called a 'mermaid' specifically but... In my opinion, mermaids are a type of sea monster that's just half humanoid and half water-creature, so I see Scylla as a monster mermaid. xD
There's so much debate on what caused her transformation into a monster. Some say she was once a water nymph and then jealousy led to the hideous shapeshift, others believe she was born monstrous and meant to represent a monstrous thing in life.

No matter what the story may be, I adore her.
scylla.png

Other than her, I thoroughly enjoy Irish Folklore about sirens and mermaids. They have stories about Merrow (aka merpeople) swimming in the Celtic waters. And if they are to travel between these waters and dry land, they need a 'cohuleen druith', which the internet defines as this: "In Irish folklore, a magical hood or cap worn by mermaids (or merrows) in order to survive under the waves. It is thought to be red and covered with feathers. If it is stolen, the mermaids cannot return beneath the water."
And--"It was said that in order to keep these beautiful creatures on land, a human mate would need to take the merrow's magical cap before she could enchant them with her song, or their soul was captured forever to be held in a cage beneath the waves. When this cap was taken from her and hidden she could not return to the sea. To possess her cap meant you held a great power over her and the human could persuade her to marry them. However the yearning was so strong that these creatures would find their cap and return to their land below the waves, the cap holds the power of the merrow and enables them to live under the ocean. Such unions with humans were destined to be short-lived and the merrow would drag her suitor back with her beneath the waves."

Hehehe soooo cooollll

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MiharuAya