What's the most exotic food you've tried?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

MiharuAya

Memento Mori
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
Online Availability
My timezone is PST
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Futanari
Genres
Homosexual, Romance, Fantasy, Scifi, Magic, Vampire, Werewolf, Supernatural, Angels/Demons, Superhero, Zombies
One of the best parts of traveling is trying local cuisine and delicacies that you might not be able to try anywhere else. However, some of these foods might seem a bit strange or out of your usual comfort zone. Share some of the most exotic food you've tried, and comment if you would try what others mention.

To start, I am a pretty picky eater. So I tend to stick to basic things that I know I like. But on a trip, I tried a buffalo burger. It was fine, but nothing to write home about. But its probably the most strange thing I've eaten.

An alligator

Reactions: MiharuAya
I once ate a century duck egg. I remember it being yummy.

I once at a Rocky Mountain oyster. All I remember is it being way too salty for my taste. Also tried kangaroo an emu jerky. Both of those were pretty good.

Fried alligator. Not something I want to try again.

Hmmmm that's a good question. I don't often get a chance to eat exotic foods, but occasionally I get a chance to try something interesting and new!
There's been a lot of jerky. I love jerky and especially trying weird and interesting jerkies. Aside from just your average beef or pork, I've had venison, elk, ostrich, alligator, bison, salmon, kangaroo, and wild boar jerky

I also recently got a chance to try grade A5 wagyu beef! And that was a pretty fun experience that I don't think I'll ever be able to do again (sooo expensive)

I've tried fried alligator, wasn't bad. I've also had turtle in rice. I remember that being fishy and not the best. I have also tried stuff octopus tentacle. It was good but the texture was difficult.

Super lame but I tried crab Ragoon, I'm an extremely picky eater and hate trying new stuff especially when out and about since I don't know if it's gonna be good and don't want to waste money. But it was a buffet so I figured I'd try it. Didn't like it but glad I tried it

Durian - an initial stab of rotten mango followed by a fragrant creamy almond custard that still has rotten mango lingering in the background.

Durian - an initial stab of rotten mango followed by a fragrant creamy almond custard that still has rotten mango lingering in the background.
I have seriously always wanted to try durian. Everything about it sounds absolutely terrible and yet that small part of me that just simply loves fruit to the point that I want to try all the fruits just reminds me every time "Hey ya know, durian is a fruit..."

It has a wasabi-like ability to worm into your nose, that is just what I realized. You kinda feel that sulphurous stab in your sinuses first. The smell isn't that bad for me, but what it does in your mouth is something else.

People who love durian, love durian:

> This pulp is the edible part, and its consistence and flavour are indescribable. A rich custard highly flavoured with almonds gives the best general idea of it, but there are occasional wafts of flavour that call to mind cream-cheese, onion-sauce, sherry-wine, and other incongruous dishes. Then there is a rich glutinous smoothness in the pulp which nothing else possesses, but which adds to its delicacy. It is neither acidic nor sweet nor juicy; yet it wants neither of these qualities, for it is in itself perfect. It produces no nausea or other bad effect, and the more you eat of it the less you feel inclined to stop. In fact, to eat Durians is a new sensation worth a voyage to the East to experience. ... as producing a food of the most exquisite flavour it is unsurpassed.

and

> its odor is best described as pig-excrement, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away. Despite its great local popularity, the raw fruit is forbidden from some establishments such as hotels, subways and airports, including public transportation in Southeast Asia.

Some of the things mentioned are pretty normal to me. Lol freaking hate durian, though. Had kangaroo, which was interesting and ostrich, also interesting.

More recent addition is a piece of shark. It was served with alcohol but I skipped out on that. Thinking back on it I should have gone for it, because the meat of the shark could have gone really well with the alcohol. It was chewy in texture with a surprisingly refreshing note at the end.

Whale is another strange thing I tried. Tastes kinda livery, but not in a bad way (I dislike liver). Wouldn't eat it again, though. Same goes for shark. Fun experience but that's about it.

Shark and octopus for me.

Shark was made into like deep fried shark bites. It was good, but I'd probably would have liked it better not fried just to get a better taste of it (I don't mind fried foods, but it can take away from the flavor sometimes).

Octopus. Basically. You see... when the suction cups touched my tongue. My brain and body were for once on the same page and shut down all tastebuds before making me scream and asking my mom to take it out of my mouth. I was 17 or 16. Never again. Never again.

Edit: For clarification, the suction cups didn't even stick to my tongue. I just couldn't do it.