WRITING What words do you use in your writing?

Discussion in 'ROLEPLAY HELP' started by Kitti, Nov 12, 2017.

1. I came across this article, which is an interesting look at some gender differences in word choice but, more interestingly I think for me, also notes word choice of rejected versus accepted articles and offers some insight as to why certain words might be more likely to appear in accepted/rejected works.

An example of this is specifics, where words like "son" and "daughter" fare better than "kids" and "babies".

Do you choose your words thoughtfully, even down to noun choice (which is often overlooked for fancier adjectives and descriptive verbiage)? Do you think your words are working to create the stories that you want to tell and have the impact you're looking for?

• Love Love x 2
  2. I think this is really fascinating. Word choice is very important to consider, in order to evoke the right tone and imagery. The whole "kids" versus "son/daughter" thing is a really good example of that. It's one reason why using a thesaurus can actually be dangerous; while synonyms overlap in meaning, there's perceived context that varies wildly. "Callow" and "youthful" give off very different connotations.

• Love Love x 1
    • Bucket of Rainbows Bucket of Rainbows x 1
  3. I try to for the most part. Since most of my writing is fantasy in medieval sort of worlds, a lot of words wouldn't make sense, like calling kids 'kids' as opposed to 'children', or something as simple as pants or a jacket, because it wouldn't be exactly correct for what I'm writing about.

#3 Greenie, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • You Get a Cookie You Get a Cookie x 1
  4. One of the things I find interesting when doing fantasy or historical writing is that some words are older than you might think. For instance, a lot of people use sofa instead of couch to try and avoid sounding too modern, but couch is actually the older term!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Bucket of Rainbows Bucket of Rainbows x 1