What song do you like a COVER of, better than the ORIGINAL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minibit

Returned from the Void
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. 1-3 posts per week
  3. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Urban Fantasy, High Fantasy, Epic Quest, Sci-Fi, Time Travel and World Hopping, Steampunk, Action/Adventure, Modern Drama, Mystery, Slice of Life, Romance, and many more.
Hits are usually covered by several artists, and each one adds their own sound or flair to the music. Sometimes people like a person's cover better than the original version! Do you have any songs that you like an alternative version of better than the original?

I like Barenaked Ladies' cover of "Lovers in a Dangerous Time" better than the original. I also adore Taco's cover of "Puttin' on the Ritz" waaay more than any other version.

Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nail's "Hurt", without a shadow of a doubt. He took their song and absolutely owned it, giving it a new, deeper, more powerful meaning than the song ever had before. NIN front man Trent Reznor even went so far as to say the song wasn't theirs anymore, and belonged now to Johnny Cash.

RIP the Man in Black.

I don't want to link it because it'll just slow the chat down, but I enjoy the Rolling in the Deep cover by John Legend. I recommend looking it up.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I fucking love that song @Seiji

LA LA LA by Zach Knight its amazing I dunno how to link it but the song is by naughty boy but Zach does an amazing version

I like Five Finger Death Punch's cover of Bad Company better because I personally find the original to be kinda boring. >.>;

Another I enjoy better than the original is Volbeat's version of Dusty Springfield's I Only Want to Be With You.

So Katy Perry's "Dark Horse" song is catchy, but really "eeeehh" to me.

AND THEN I DISCOVERED THIS COVER.

BEST COVER EVER.

This may seem like a sacrilege to some, but I actually enjoy the After Forever version of The Evil That Men Do more than the original by Iron Maiden. I love my Maiden and I'm a sucker for Bruce Dickinson, but... this just works so surprisingly well.

Also, I like Morituri te Salutant by Daniel Landa more than Karel Kryl's version. Yet another sacrilege, but what can I say. I'm a rebel.

OMG. Megan & Liz with their cover of Stereo Hearts~!
andd.
Tiffany Alvord & Chester See with their cover of The On That Got Away. That was magical *3*

Reactions: missindepent

To use their own words... "It's because we can just do it better than Britney".
The fucking accordion. I lose it every time. It's hilarious. And yes... they are better than Britney.

Then, for my fellow GRRM fans out there, Karlienne OWNS "Last of the Giants"... at least in the way you can imagine Ygritte singing it. As far as I know there isn't a dude with a rich, deep voice that has sung it the way it's meant to.

Wow... where do I start?

Reactions: ᴛᴏᴄᴋᴀ
Status
Not open for further replies.