Smo

Mistress of Toast
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Fantasy, Urban fantasy, Sci-fi, Romance.
Let's face it - we all have those things we're self-conscious of. Whether it's the shape of your body, your teeth, or the way you smile. Whatever you can think of and nitpick in front of the mirror, you just hate it. Yet, what if those aren't the things strangers see when they look at you? What if it's truly the way you think?

This video validates that theory.

The people involved in this video talk about what they are most self-conscious of to the mirror and what the others have to say behind that mirror might be shocking and just a little bit heart-warming.

What do strangers think of you? What are you self-conscious about?

This is just another feel good thread - feel free to discuss the video, what you are self-conscious about and maybe, just maybe someone might just surprise you with what they think.​

I am absolutely my own worst enemy. I acknowledge this about myself, but at the same time, I don't see anything redeemable in how I look. I legitimately don't see how I'm attractive, or how anyone could find me attractive.

I'm average height, and overweight. I have a round face, a beard that doesn't quite grow in very full. I have squinty eyes that are boring, and weird bunny teeth. My smile is lop-sided, and when I do smile, one of my eyes squint a little. I'm very self-conscious about my 'size', though maybe that's a Dude Thing as a whole. My laugh is kinda weird, not at all charming, and my voice is too high and lacking in bass.

I'm not here to complain though. Just saying-- the video is accurate, in that we absolutely see ourselves in the worst light, and that bit above is my own worse light. I kinda wish I could do this mirror thing, though. It would definitely boost my self-esteem!

• Love
Reactions: Fijoli and Smo
I used to be my own worst critic, but eventually, I got sick of just adding to what the world already piled on top of me. So I've slowly begun to care less about the faults in myself, at least in appearance. That being said, I'm a long way from being secure in myself.

I'm fat. There's no need to sugar coat it. I'm not husky, fluffy, or "curvy". I'm fat. And it's okay to admit that. I'm also taller than most people I know, and while it intimidates others, I feel it makes me a target for most. Despite being fat, I have no ass. None. Which makes my body look really lopsided. I'm built heavy, and would have to loose almost every inch of fat and muscle off of my body to reach the "ideal weight" for my size.

• Love
  • Thank You
Reactions: Fijoli and Smo
I have a mole on the center of my nose. Dead center. It's a freaking bullseye. It's something I love but hate. I'm a good witch, I swear.

• Thank You
Reactions: Smo
I'm self-conscious about my scars -- I had grade 4 cystic acne when I was growing up. You know, like those videos of people popping those MASSIVE ones on Youtube? I had those all over my face. From my brows to my throat, I was covered in it. So naturally, they scarred up my face. They aren't as bad as they been since I went to become an Esthetician and began using chemical exfoliates on myself, but yeah... I unconsciously cover my face a lot of the time in public or on cam. Though I no longer have that much acne, I still am self-conscious.

I also don't like how my right eye squints in photos or the way my cheeks perk when I smile. Don't get me started on my body. >_>;

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Yes, Smo has a bright smile and killer hot eyebrows <3 high arched sexy eyebrows.

I was also admiring her very slender fingers, I like hands a lot, I'm weird, get over it. Everyone's hands are different and hers just look feminine and beauteous.

• Love
Yes, Smo has a bright smile and killer hot eyebrows <3 high arched sexy eyebrows.

I was also admiring her very slender fingers, I like hands a lot, I'm weird, get over it. Everyone's hands are different and hers just look feminine and beauteous.

Slender fingers? LOL.

Fijo has gorgeous eyes though. And I never noticed the mole so I was confused when she mentioned it. <<;

• Love
Reactions: Fijoli
The only real physical characteristic I'm self conscious of is my smile, everything else I like just the way it is. The problem is that I have super small teeth, no reason for it, they're just really really small for the sake of being really really small. And since I also have a slight overbite, despite attempts by my orthodontist to get rid of it, you can only ever see the top row of my teeth.

I think it looks stupid and I think others think it looks stupid, so I habitually cover up my mouth whenever I can't suppress my smile any longer, and sometimes even when I'm not smiling at all. The only time I don't try to cover my smile is when I'm with friends, which isn't all that often as I prefer to be alone. It's a shame really, I couldn't break the habit now even if I wanted to, it's become such a definitive part of my personality. Just one of those little quirks that most people have.

• Thank You
That people are strange.
When you're a stranger.
Faces look ugly, when you're alone.
Women seem wicked, when you're unwanted.
The streets are unev-- oh, the hell with it.

But no, seriously, I tend to be pretty self-conscious about everything. I know it doesn't matter what people I don't even know think of me, but at the same time, I also don't want to be the smelly/weird/strange/whatever people might think guy people are whispering about.

• Thank You
It has been so long since I gave thought to what others think about me that I hardly remember what it feels like. I'm not concerned with scorn or judgement from others as I know they probably experienced something similar and just don't want to always feel like the victim. Or not, either way is fine. I take criticism with an open ear and an open mind. I decide if it's worth taking in or if my ego is just keeping me from growing.

I think it's important to find humor and joy in yourself and to remember that you give people the power to influence you.

You know, being a misanthrope actually helps a lot with these things; I don't care. Like, at all. I am not ashamed to go out without make-up and in my pajamas. (And it has happened, mostly when one of our dogs escaped and I had to go catch it. Since we had a freaking bullmastiff who hated strangers with passion, concern about safety of others overcame my practically non-existent vanity.)

Either way, I consider myself average; not exceedingly pretty, but certainly no monster. I have a fiance who finds me attractive and that is good enough for me. Moreover, I tend to focus on the inside. Let's face it, we'll all be ugly once we get old.

• Thank You
Reactions: Peter Feels and Smo
Now, I'm not saying I don't think I'm good looking. But I've broken more mirrors by smiling into them than I can count. And I can count to very high numbers.
Not like it matters. Not to me, anyway. I look like the back end of a bus, but I've got friends, and they don't give a damn what I look like.

• Thank You
I'm not a huge fan of my face in general, mostly the acne scars and my black gums (hereditary). I don't like the sound of my own voice played back to me. Most strangers immediately think that I'm American (because I do sound very American), but they always comment that they like my voice, which never ceases to strike me as weird. I didn't used to like my hair, but I love it now, and other people love it too.

• Thank You
People don't think the way I think.

It makes it hard to connect, and I often times feel detached.

A lot of people could quite possibly be scared or weary of me, simply because of this.

• Thank You
Status
Not open for further replies.