What are some gender-neutral ways to greet someone?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

MiharuAya

Memento Mori
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
Online Availability
My timezone is PST
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Futanari
Genres
Homosexual, Romance, Fantasy, Scifi, Magic, Vampire, Werewolf, Supernatural, Angels/Demons, Superhero, Zombies
While many people go by the common she/her, he/him, or they/them pronouns, gender-inclusive language can become a bit trickier when addressing a person or getting their attention, but you don't know their gender or don't want to assume. What are some alternatives that you use for common gendered honorifics such as Sir, Ma'am, and Madam?

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: kroyote
I usually just avoid using anything like miss' sir, etc I just go hey! If I know their name I'll go with that, it does give me anxiety because I don't want to accidentally misgender someone. I'm guilty of using guys as a gender neutral term, I always used it for growing up, whether males or females I'd just go what's up guys, etc.

- "Hey, y'all."
-"What it do, buckaroos?"
-"How're things, siblings?"
-"Yo, fuckers." "Sup, fam!"
-"Hello, animated beings."
-"M'theydies and Gentlethems, welcome to the greatest show on Earth!!"
-"Greetings, my sweet summer children!"
-"Greetings, Comrades!"
-"Sup, homies?"
-"Howdy, folks."
-How's it going, friends?"

Last edited:
in sweden we don't have this problem. If we want someones attention we generally say ursäkta mig = excuse me. We do have words like madam and sir but no one uses them either way. Once in a blue moon an old person might call you a lady or something xD I work in customer service. Don't think I've ever used gendered language not because I might misgender someone but simply because gendered language is mainly used when talking about someone, not so much to someone.

GREETINGS MINIONS Ò◇Ó

Kings, Queens, and Queers

I really like the guys, gals, and non-binary pals as well.

Or my default is just 'wassup everybody'

i agree with "y'all".

i also like "hey bitches and bros and nonbinary hoes"

OH AND THERES THIS GUY ON TIKTOK he says like "lentlemen and gadies" and i think its perfect

• Love
Reactions: MiharuAya
I have a bad habit of not addressing people at all when speaking to them, so that also works too?

I tend to use "y'all" a lot. Or just a simple "sup"

• Love
Reactions: MiharuAya