unanun

Child is born, with a heart of gold
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Genres
I'm wary of magic with lots of rules.
A few generations ago we never needed to look outside our home. Cadia provided us with everything. We could plant shards of her bone and coax entire dwellings out of the ground, from which fungi and plants sprang edible. Her essence still saturated the ether, and the shamans called miracles of fire or portents to keep our sanctuary safe.

There is nothing left now. Soon we will pull the last crop from the planters and our home will crumble to dust. We can stay and die, or find the next

WHALE FALL

1642316013369.png
Whale Fall takes place on a land mass of indeterminate size. As far as the eye can see is poison or hostile climate, and long-range excursions have found nothing, if they even return. As far as memory reaches back we have lived in Cadia, a creature tens of thousands of steps in size, and its body keeps the poison at bay and nourishes us. Our story follows the Cadians in their desperation to withstand the decay of Cadia.

Whale Fall is inspired by the phenomenon of the same name. A whale will sometimes fall into the abyss of the ocean, where the lack of oxygen and scavengers slows the decay of the corpse. Its corpse seeds a temporary ecosystem that lasts for hundreds of years, down to its bones that are rich with lipids.

OOC: OPEN SIGNUPS - WHALE FALL

Last edited:
consider my interest checked

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: unanun
I'm in!

• Haha
WHALE FALL takes place in the comatose body of a creature that protects its inhabitants from the outside. The outside is generally devoid of anything that would sustain life as we know it, and the primary hazard are fungal spores that saturate the air, which induce fatal illness upon inhalation. Through the blessing of Cadia, a whale-like creature thousands and thousands of paces long, we live within her and are protected from the outside.

Within Cadia are the following factions:
- The Mayor's Office, the status quo, who seeks to prolong and maintain an orderly society
- The Magitects (mage-architects), a secretive order that communicate with Cadia
- The Long Range Patrol, a group that explores the outside for months at a time

Our story will explore the interactions within and in between these factions, as well as the truth of Cadia and what lies beyond her walls.

MECHANICS

WHALE FALL will extend to each writer the responsibility of both player and GM - to lead your faction, be a part of its growth, to worldbuild each factions unique culture. There is no pressure to take on such a huge bite at the start - I am more than willing to hold your hand until you can walk on your own. There's also no pressure to pick empty roles to fill in - I can fill in anything as needed. To each faction I will provide the ideology and core objectives that they will strive to accomplish in this story.

INITIAL PLOT

I have ideas for the first few starting chapters, but a lot will depend on how we write it out, and I have possibilities for what will happen, but what exact path we take is uncertain.

PROGNOSIS

I have no idea if this concept will crash or burn. Sometimes people just wanna RP, right? But I figure we should give it a shot.

Last edited:
Ten thousand steps by a thousand steps, that was the length of Cadia. Vanaya rarely left her farm either, which was much smaller, and focused her time and magic on encouraging green, leafy vegetables to sprout from her plot of tilled soil. Day after day, in the muted glow of the sunlight through the translucent skin stretched above, she clutched her amulet and whispered prayers of growth, watching her crop grow up as if sped through time.

She might not have noticed the change if she had not kept records of her harvest that spanned many years. But as she sent off the latest shipment to the town market, she tallied up the harvest over a cup of tea and leaned back in her chair, quill pinched on top of her lips. The changes were tiny, miniscule ... but undeniable. Less and less every year.

So she decided to walk to visit her friends at the edge of Cadia.

It wasn't a long journey, within a day, but she packed to bivouac, and set off at dawn. Outside the town center, where bone was reinforced with iron to create rickety towers that scraped the top of Cadia, amenities rapidly decayed, although there was nothing that could have posed a danger to her life. Everything was perfectly safe in Cadia, but it wasn't so easy to get food, and nights could get uncomfortably cold away from the veins where Cadia's warm blood circulated.

She took an ambling journey, and scouted out a vein to sleep for the night. Under a light blanket, she studied the faint night sky through the dome, and enjoyed the ringing in her ears that signaled the absence of the town bustle. On a whim, she peered through a pothole, a place along the walls of Cadia where the skin was stretched rigidly transparent.

1642656042647.png
credit: Wind Princess trailer, post-processed by @Peregrine <3
Outside Cadia sprawled a desert covered in bioluminescent fungus. She knew the stories told by the Long Range Patrol - spend five minutes in the cloud and your lungs would rot beyond the help of magic and medicine, and even then, with a mask made out of gill material cut from Cadia, nothing out there was edible. A sheltered Cadian would only die of hunger instead of poison. The beauty of the scenery laid before her buttressed her wonder that Cadia could provide shelter, food, and safety, breathing in the air and purifying it, a hard chitinous shell thousands of paces long, and veins beating with heat and magic, as if Cadians and Cadia were meant to be together.

She roused herself with dawn and broke fast on some meat she sliced off a nearby outgrowth, boiled into a stew with the vegetables she packed. By noon she had arrived at her friends place, but found it strangely quiet. In fact, the homestead looked abandoned, and the field was empty. She squatted at the edge of the plowed field and stuck her hands into the soil, feeling for life.

She walked down the field towards the house, and bent down again as she sighted a wilted leaf. Between her fingers it was limp, and the edges were yellow and black. She sliced the stem open and the innards dripped out. For some reason anxiety seized her, and she cupped the dying plant in her hands, reciting her prayer of growth.

The response was weak. She shook her head, tried to clear her thoughts. She was flustered, of course. Her prayers wouldn't be answered if her heart was not empty and pure, so instead she set out to try and find her friend.

WHALE FALL

Last edited:
1642771366964.png
Source: jyangart

Guide to Cadia and the outside

Whale Fall takes place inside Cadia, a miles-long creature vaguely shaped like a whale that lies on a landmass of indeterminate size. Not much is known outside Cadia, and oral and written history do not have any records of how we have come to coexist with Cadia. We are entirely dependent on Cadia for food, shelter, and protection from the outside, which float with spores that eat any creature alive.

1642720550566.png1642720747970.png1642771538894.png
Souces: TodoArtist on DeviantArt, Nautilus house, Hang Nga guesthouse (modified by @Peregrine)
Cadians have learned to make efficient use of Cadia, and blend her bones, organs, and vasculature into masterful hybrid architecture through science and magic. Cadia provides a seemingly inexhaustible supply of raw material, which might be because our settlement only numbers in the tens of thousands.

Among the many guilds and other organizations that naturally arise from cloistered living, the Council is charged with keeping peace and stability in Cadia, and the Long Range Patrol is an eccentric group of daredevils that range into the outside for months at a time. Their reports are a source of information, wonder, and also nighttime stories to scare children.

Guide to magic

1642726445419.png1642726521309.png
Sources: Magic the Gathering, various
Only one thing is known about magic, that it fades outside of Cadia. This phenomenon is known because of the reports of the first scouting parties that returned. The Long Range Patrol will take an infusion of blood from Cadia before they begin their patrols, which only seems to last about a month. There is an incredibly diverse array of schools of magic, and it is even possible to teach yourself magic if you have an aptitude for visualization.

Guide for writers and players
Themes: Decay, inevitability, exploitation versus conservation, exploration and discovery, mystery, surreal fantasy
Style: Low to mid fantasy, where magic is an aid to many every day activities but not the main focus.
Races: Anything is permitted.
Technology: Medieval level, a bit before the Renaissance.
Aesthetic: Materials harvested from Cadia play a prominent role, so think bioorganic sculpture, enhanced with metal, wood, and other traditional materials.
Society and culture: Shelter and food are in abundance, so society punishes aberrations with social exclusion and, at worst, exile (which has not occurred in recent memory). The pace of life is generally relaxed, with a focus on self actualization and intellectual pursuits. Social strife is uncommon.
Posting speed: I hope the IC gets a post about once a week or so.
Length of posts: Whatever gets the job done.

Roleplay style
A guided storytelling upheld by an agreement to cowrite and compete

Whale Fall is co-GM'd between me, @fatalrendezvous, and @Mglo. We will write in the style of a "No Dice, No Masters" roleplay, where the success or failure of actions are determined by narrative heft; did you write in a fun, plausible way that contributes to the story? Hijacking is possible if it will make a scene flow better, or a collaborative post can be done.

Write with us! GM with us! If this setting appeals to you as more than a player, ask us anything. We are willing to divulge all our thoughts on short, medium, and long term arcs, the setting, and also our characters. OOC collaboration is essential for writing that is fun to read.

Player sheet
[ Name ]
[ Picture ]
[ Race ]
[ A unique trait, whether it be magic, personality, position, or attachments? ]
[ Everything else can be revealed ingame! ]​

Last edited:
hi @Kuno @FrostedCaramel I see you expressed interest, so I wanted to show you the completed OOC:

We're at the point where we can generate characters, so if what you see is still interesting, we'd be glad to have you onboard. I think both of your posting styles would be a good fit.

Reactions: Kuno
@unanun I absolutely adore Nausicaa and couldn't help but to find your own personal take on a similar setting to be outstanding. It deserved recognition so I gave you a good old like.

I'm still interested even with the new additions to the setting and such, though I think I'll wait to make a CS until I get some other CS's as examples of expected length and detail if that's alright with you of course.

Of course! Thanks for your kind words. The setting was a collaborative effort with Peregrine, Migo, and fatalrendezvous. And if it turns out that it isn't for you, no problem.

The sheets will be on the sparser side for two reasons, 1) to let us discover characters and relationships ingame, instead of trying to memorize everything before wading in, and 2) we've charted out a general course for some of our characters/arcs, and I imagine it's up to new players how much they want to know before starting. We're happy to divulge everything we've plotted, and try to straddle the line between players and writers.

Open Signups are Here:

Last edited:
@Kuno @FrostedCaramel

Here is my character sheet for reference:

There's a fair amount of plotting behind each character, but its relevance is purely dependent on how much of a role you are interested in, from a RP player to collaborative writer. Either way, the sheets are sparse to encourage most of the fun to happen IC and also reduce burden of knowledge, and also an admission that much of the worldbuilding remains incomplete and open for filling in! I predict that should this RP last long enough, there will be some hijacking every now and then as we get more comfortable with each others' characters. If those things don't turn you off, it'd be great to have fresh meat onboard!

@Kuno @FrostedCaramel

Here is my character sheet for reference:

There's a fair amount of plotting behind each character, but its relevance is purely dependent on how much of a role you are interested in, from a RP player to collaborative writer. Either way, the sheets are sparse to encourage most of the fun to happen IC and also reduce burden of knowledge, and also an admission that much of the worldbuilding remains incomplete and open for filling in! I predict that should this RP last long enough, there will be some hijacking every now and then as we get more comfortable with each others' characters. If those things don't turn you off, it'd be great to have fresh meat onboard!

This is right up my alley. Sorry for not replying so far; I'm trying to catch up on some things so I don't look like a deadbeat when I join :^)

• Love
Reactions: Mglo and unanun
Fantastic! We'll probably start sometime in the next couple of weeks, as I am also waiting on a friend to join. If we can help with anything, let us know.

Reactions: Kuno
@Kuno, we're currently working on some initial posts with the goal of starting somewhere at the end of the week. That being said, don't worry about joining right away, there should be plenty of opportunities to jump in whenever (which I'm offering FrostedCaramel and possibly one more person)

Wow, cool premise.

I have some time and would like to commit myself to a story. I'm a little rusty so you'll have to forgive me, but I love the narrative that you have all collaborated on and put fourth. If you need another please let me know, this sounds like fun.

It begins!
@unanun Could you link the IC on the top post of the signups thread? Thank you!

• Spicy
If you're still accepting, I am absolutely fascinated by this idea! I'm finally getting back to writing here and I need to read more of the information you've provided, but this is so intriguing—great concept. c:

Reactions: fatalrendezvous
Hi Goblin, I'm flattered by the interest! Can you give the OOC and the first post of the IC a read and let me know what you think? Our style leans more towards collaborative writing with hijacking a very real possibility, so it may be different from what you expect. (Note, I don't expect all posts to be that long, just an example of what an inspired poster can type up)

Last edited:
Reactions: kixinorbit