Welcome to the Guild

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Y
our training, just one moment on that. Hey, get off the damn table!" Aine rushed past their table to where Viper stood with bow poised to fire an arrow into Malik's brainpan. If need be, she would yank him off the table and beat some sense into the man. It wouldn't be the first time she had done so.
The ruckass grabbed the attention of most people within the room. The younger hunters and recruits were uncertain of what to do while the older ones were already on their feet with their hands on the ready should the hooded man proved to be a treat and need to be taken down. Aine would not allow that, not when Viper was just acting out of reckless impulse. He just needed to be talked down. At the moment, she may have been speaking out of irritation but her voice carried the authority of someone that should be taken seriously. Her upbringing as a Noblemen was showing and she didn't care at that moment how many people were going to put two and two together.
"There are places for this sort of behavior and it sure as hell isn't here. Whatever Malik has done, he will answer for them in due time by the proper authorities but that isn't you. You are not his executioner. Now get your ass off the table before I embarrass you by beating your ass in front of everyone."

Johnathan had stumbled upon the guild and was listening to Aine talk to the trainees. He was taking mental notes and nearly stumbled upon someone talking about Shadow Beasts. In which was the course of some understandable anger. Electricity was surrounding his frame as the once clear sky had turned dark and dangerous.

To anyone who was nearby him, they would be feeling some static shocks. However, outside wasn't so lucky. One could hear thunder rumble and an occasional lightning strike. But for one unlucky person, a bolt of lightning struck his cart....which was carrying cabbages. "My Cabbages!" Was heard through the street.

Slowly and with great poise considering her treatment at the hands of the Hunters, Brigit stood, her wine glass in hand. She locked eyes with the wild woman across the table, the contempt in her gaze and voice impossible to miss. "It's a pleasure to meet you as well, Lady Palomina," she said, sardonically. "I look forward to shedding blood." Her omission of "with you" was completely intentional. Brigit swirled the sour drink around in the glass, considering it carefully.The dining hall of Cael Wal Llywd was dry and this wine was one of the few weapons at her disposal. She paused a brief moment before springing into action on the off chance that Eirioch would stop her, as he occasionally did before she did something she would come to regret. When no warning came, her movement was swift and graceful, hinting at years of practice. In an instant, she thrust her glass towards Palomina, almost as if to splash the wine in her face. But at the same time, she tapped into the arcane traditions of her people, the precise art of shifting and controlling heat that Clan Lutair called Bogadh.

As the liquid spilled forth, a chill shot up the glass and spread to the wine itself, freezing it in a sharp point that stopped inches from the wild woman's nose. The warmth she had pulled from the glass filled her body, starting in her fingertips and crawling up her arm. Beneath the furs, the heat was almost unbearable and she knew if she wasn't careful, it could consume her. Still moving quickly, she redirected the heat towards the first thing she could think of: Eirioch's partridge. Although it had long since gone cold, it suddenly began to sizzle. As the man watched, smoke began to curl upwards and a single tendril of flame burst forth as the bird ignited.

All this happened in an instant, quicker than a warrior drawing his blade. With the improvised dagger hovering threateningly in Palomina's face, Brigit said "I have no interest in taming the wilds, my lady. I have no need for pets, for my soldiers will follow me into any battle and come out alive. Do you know why? Because I fight beside them, I give them commands that suit them and I polish my own boots." She flicked the woman's nose with the tip of her frozen blade. "If I mean to learn more about killing Shadow Beasts, I'll speak to my betrothed's uncle, Harailt Lutair, who has killed more Naga than any man alive or browse the library at Taigh an Abhainn Dubh, where lie the records of my family and all of Innis Buidhe." The bird on Eirioch's plate took flame, the fire crackling as it burned. "And if I want to learn more about the magics of the world, I will practice them myself. I have no need for the simple ways of you Earissians. I am an Abthane of Clan Lutair and magic flows through my veins. I need no weapon beyond myself and I have no use for filthy phrases such as "princess." What I do have need of is your numbers. Nothing more."

Brigit held the improvised dagger there a moment longer before backing down. Her anger had been appeased, momentarily. She tilted her glass upright and focused her attention on the burning partridge. The flames licking at the blackened meat began to subside, the heat being pulled out of it and spreading back through the wine glass. The wine sloshed back down and she took a careful sip, calm and nonchalant. "So I will join you, Hunters. I will join you for now, so I might enlist your aid in the future. But when we find an answer, a solution to the Shadow Beast problem and march back to Innis Buidhe, the witches do not march with us."

Last edited by a moderator:
Malik returned Eirioch's nod as well as his own hand to his sleeve.

"Assassin! I do not claim to know you, nor should you claim to know me! I like power, I will not deny. But I will only take it from those who do not deserve it. And, as for eradicating the Shadow Beasts, no. I seek a way to civilise them," Malik monologued, looking at Viper, though his words were directed at all present.

He continued, more quietly now, "I am not evil, as so many like to think, but reduced to a shadow of what I once was. My form, twisted by power beyond the comprehension of man. I am the one living creature that has seen the land of the dead and, by Umbra's grace, lived to tell the tale. So, think twice before you dare threaten me again, lest you be forever haunted by your victims' tortured souls."

His threats were empty, of course, but the rest had been the truth, or at least half of it. He could indeed enter Purgatory, Paradise, or the Inferno at any time. It was taxing on his body, but it had proven useful to several of the hunters. Particularly the ones that had been more friendly to him.

"As for you," he turned abruptly to look at Brigit. "Try that with me, and not even Umbra will be able to prevent me feasting upon your soul."

Suddenly the lady-boy acted. Hostile, but merciful. The last thing she wanted to do was flinch, or appear scared. Startled, maybe, that could help her maintain her pride, but she could not flinch, despite how much she wanted to reach for her dagger. So Princess could use fire, too. But the Naga were aligned with water, so that wouldn't do much unless she wanted to overcook another bird.

Palomina did not blink. She winced somewhat, the closest to a flinch she would allow herself. But this noble was a master of her element. She could definitely appreciate that, but no amount of skill would allow Palomina to respect such a cold, disrespectful person. "How about you don't do that again, or I break your spine. You made your peace. But I don't appreciate your disrespectfulness. It won't make you the friends you need. Sure, you have skill, but you lack the courtesy to forge any relationships. For a strategist, you certainly are brash. You need to learn how to stay your hand, get it? Because I'm going to be screeching at you for awhile. You'd better get used to it.

"And remember, another stunt like that, and you can kiss your ass goodbye."

He had heard the words that echoed around him each of them enticing him calling him off the table, their words merely a wind passing his ears. He could feel all the different emotions echoing through the mess hall, the fear dancing from some of the younger new recruits, their normal eyes seeming to fall upon him like daggers in his back. The senior members he felt the tension that upped from them some of them reaching for their weapons, they were ready to apprehend him if need be and he knew it he knew they could easily bring him down if they wanted to. His eyes though still focused on the necromancer, his fingers tensed on the string tighter, a small smirk crossed his lips before he turned the bow to the side and released the arrow into the ground right next to the necromancer. Normally an arrow would have bounced off the waxed floor and broke but his arrow instead pierced through the floor the head through the marble and the back standing at an angle. He heard the necromancer speak about haunting him and civilizing the shadow beasts which only caused a laughter to dance through his lips but no comment to the necromancer.

"Good luck civilizing demons, and I don't care about how you ended up in the position you are in, power corrupts all and makes people like you do things to small children. Like change their eyes, taking away all that once made them the kid they were."

With that he turned to the senior member that would be one of the people grouping with him, the female had just shouted like his mother used to when he got into trouble. He breathed a light sigh back-flipping from the table and landing gracefully upon the floor, his cloak shifting slightly beneath the movement but undisturbed in all of its flowing, he turned his back on the group of them and slowly began to walk away. His golden eyes focused upon the mess hall doors at the end of his journey, he stopped once he had made it to the door his hand resting upon the brass handle. He clicked the handle and pushed the wooden doors open allowing his normally quiet voice to carry through the stone walls echoing his voice to everyone in the mess hall but centering the comment on his group. The people that they would all be with for the next few weeks, a group he would have to learn to tolerate even the necromancer if he was part of the group.

"I will be in my room come get me when we are ready to go, or just send my roommate to recover me"

Then he was gone, through the wooden doors and along the normal wooden floors his boots even now making the heavy sounds that echoed through his ears taking him back mentally to that day, the day when he was nine.

Those footsteps were heavy as they made their way down the stone passage, he would always remember that sound even now. The echo of their feet was in time to the beating drum of his heart, ba dump, ba dump, he didn't know where he was going but he knew if momma and papa were with him he would be safe. The closer to the end of the hallway they got the colder it got, the air itself seemed to swirl around him as if drawing him in…..

"Viper, Viper"

That sound drew him from his daydream seeming to pull him back to the real world staring down into the eyes of the teenage boy that was his roommate, the boy seemed to be trying to catch his attention. When Viper finally acknowledged him his roommate seemed to go on about what all of that was him drawing a weapon in the guild. He slowly made his way back to his room with his roommate following him, once he was in his room he plopped down upon his bed sighing lightly. He would prepare himself in the morning.

"I was there, when Abthane and Lady Brigid left Innis Buidhe. I remember how she looked at me, while he only looked blankly ahead."
- Habourmaster Cullen, "The Life of Lady Brigit" by Abthane Cailan Lutair.

Eirioch watched the chaos unfolding around him with a certain distance, a grace that separated him from the others. His red-eyes rolled down to look down his nose at the steaming, blackened partridge. He retrieved fork and knife, and began to cut the flesh away from the little bird's many small bones once again. Ash fell around his fork, black clumps of it that stained the hot, bubbling pink bird flesh ; so seared that bubbles had broken out on the skin. The Abthane calmly cut this bird, as his would-be-wife flicked the edge of a blade against the face of the more experienced huntress. He had not stopped her, of course, because this was what was meant to happen. If she had not lashed out with her magics, the Bogadh, the argument would long have been completed. Perhaps, for Eirioch's personal sake he wished that, but the time for wishing for more pleasant fates and histories was long past. He could not alter that which was to come. And so, he had not stopped Brigit as she infuriated the tempers of those around her. Eirioch continued to watch the others, paying no heed to how he was cutting his partridge, or to the way that its flesh crumbled on his plate into a heap of ash. The rash barbarian-woman winced. He had caught the gesture, despite the minute nature of it. He would not have, if it had not been for strange red eyes, for eyes that were wrong. There was a word for what the barbarian was doing; ultracrepidation. It was a word from Palomina's Southlands, devised by an artist whose works were sadly destined to go undiscovered for centuries. Eirioch had met him, once. But there was a threat in the barbarian's words - albeit an idle one. There would no murder here, not of any of them. Brigit did not die here, as he knew just as well as asarlaí Malik. So, to threaten his wife was pointless. Fate had decreed when her end came, and her end did not come here. The threat, however, itched at Eirioch's skin. Though distant, aloof, even, he could not help but feel insulted by the threat. They had broken bread with these Southerners, eaten their salt and drunk their sour wine, but all the while they were threatened - at least, his wife was. And though he had seen this play out hundreds of times in dreams, there was still the bitter sting of treachery in his mouth, a tightness around his gums. But there would be no murders here.

Eirioch looked down at his plate.At the same time as his betrothed's actions, the assassin was brandishing his bow, standing not two inches from his steaming bird. In preparation of the assassin's over exuberant gesture, Eirioch had pulled his plate some inches away; so to not have bits of searing hot bird scatter across the not only the group assembled before him, or himself. For an assassin, the boy had morals that, though they did not surprise Eirioch, were unusual for an assassin. Assassins were nothing more than a murderer that had a society to their name, a specialized training. In Innis Buidhe, he could imagine that his pale people would have prefered the concept of an assassin; magic without proper training was nothing more than witchery, after all. The Innisians valued schooling. But there were no assassins in Innis Buidhe, there were wars and armies, but this strange-eyed boy who stood before him, wielding a bow like he had been born to it, would never have survived in the harshness of Innis Buidhe. None of them would, really ; Innis Buidhe was meant for Innisians, and always had been, no matter what the Martainns might have said. He glanced up towards the assassin, red-eyes focusing on his face. His bird was nearly completed - legs had been pulled from their crispy exteriors, and now, all the bird skeleton, placed neatly to the side of Eirioch's plate, was missing was its skull. But instead of excavating for this treasure, the Abthane looked towards Viper, and spoke softly, "We are here to kill the shadow beasts. This man is not one." Eirioch's eyes flickered back to asarlaí Malik, with his eyes mícheart. No. The sorcerer was not a shadow beast, but that did not change the feeling in the pit of Eirioch's stomach, the knowledge of what this man was and the intentions that he had. To desire power above all things was the maddest of motivations. He could understand why the assassin was discomforted, but nonetheless, he offered Viper a small smile ; even though the man's eyes were wrong, and he would have been strung up for the crows in Innis Buidhe. Eirioch knew. He only barely managed to get the phrase in, before the assassin was tromping off the table like a sullen child, rushing to his room. He understood the man's hatred, his desire to purge the asarlaí for his sins ; but that would not happen yet. Not at this moment.

His eyes returned to asarlaí Malik, who defended himself with unnecessary amounts of explanation. There would be no need for such explanations, Eirioch had hoped ; a discourse that revealed the mage's entire motivation, one that would inevitably lead to a downfall of sorts. Eiricoch knew better than to hope that exposition was not the fundamental basis of conversation. But with his desires to divide power as he saw fit, Eirioch saw the entitlement behind the statement. He was not a god, he was a man, and men should not be the ones to determine who received power and who did not - Malik had some strange belief that he should be the one to divide these gifts, simply because he had seen into the world of the dead ; something that he bragged about, Eirioch noticed with a slight curl of his thin lips downward. Eirioch too, had seen the realm of the dead, but his people did not believe in the same three places that these mainlanders did - three different locations for souls to match their trinity. All men went to be judged by the Horned King, and then, joined him in his realm outside of the world and spaces, where they lived across the great sea in the land of Sídhe; where the Horned King's court - made up of lesser gods - helped protect the world of mortals. He had seen the realms of Sídhe, the place where no mortal should look, and what he found there, had chilled the Abthane's blood. It was not something that he wished to discuss, much less brag about. He was not a mainlander, however, and never would be, no matter how much his own people cried; "Morthir!" Eirioch knew that he would return to the barrows of the earth, to the realm of Sídhe, and that would become his fate, at the end of a galloglaigh. He knew why Malik bragged - a desperate powerplay, to show his influence over the others, but to Eirioch it reeked of foolish, youthful arrogance that did not befit the asarlaí Malik, with his eyes mícheart. Eirioch peeled back the skin around the bird's overcooked peak, and scraped away the flesh. Beneath, there was the sizzling, ashy bird skull. Between fork and knife, he steered it to rest on his bird skeleton's neck vertebrae. Satisfied with his completed bird skeleton, Eirioch discretely slid the plate to his neighbor - a drunken sot who was watching the row with watery brown eyes. At the sight of the bird, the drunk trembled, and rose from his chair. The drunk practically rushed away, clutching at his mouth as green fluids bubbled around his hands, rushing to the privies.

Eirioch looked towards Amudar, with those cold red-eyes of him, staring through the man. He saw his life, his experiences, the pride and command he had in his station and title, for better and worse. He tilted his head to the side, slightly, and dabbed at his thin white hands with a napkin, cleaning of the soot from his demolished bird - not a bite of which he had eaten. After a moment of thoughtful cleaning, the white-haired noble stood up. It was not with the same passion as either his would-be-wife or the assassin, but he stood nontheless with a certain grace and confidence - brought about only by his certainty of the times to come. Eirioch gently reached out a hand to rest on Brigit's shoulder, clasping the round, narrow epaulet bone. His touch was gentle, but demanding, commanding. There was not force behind it, but it would likely demand her attention all the same. And he spoke, with the same quiet self-assurance that all of his words had. "We are guests, cousin. Do not threaten our host." He put a bit of pressure on her shoulder, pushing ever so slightly down. He was not attempting to force her to sit again - it was merely a suggestion within the grasp of his palm. Eirioch's wrong-coloured eyes flickered towards Amudar, to Aine, to this barbarian woman from the Southlands. Lady Palamina. The hall was silent now. All attention was on this group of squabbling people, on these white-haired witches from the North who had demanded so much attention from those around them, and infuriated so many tempers. Eirioch knew that some hands were going to their swords, or carefully concealed dirks. They would not be wrong to draw them. But they would not - not here, not at this precise moment. This was not how they died, and this was not how it ended. This ended with them leaving the dining hall, with no fatalities, no wounds, no injuries. In the smoky haze of the great hall, Eirioch's eyes glittered like embers.

He gently pushed his chair in, a simple courtesy. The hall was still. The white-haired Abthane circled the table, feeling the drunken eyes studying the back of his head. They were watching to see what he would do, what fate he would inflict upon those who stood before him - if men from the north really did boil the flesh off of mainlanders and devour them, bit by bit, in concoctions that brightened the hair and sharpened the mind. It was not true, and had not been true. They did not need potions to give them their hair and minds. But in the dark times of Taigh an Croch, the cook and Thane were both fat on mainland meat. And that was the truth. Eirioch walked carefully forward, with a king's grace. His head was tilted up, shoulders back, his pace even with his heart-beat. His red-eyes studied those before him, making eye contact with each one of them in turn - the asarlaí Malik's eyes mícheart, the Senior Hunter with his wonderful and forgettable ones, Aine with her's so clear and bright, and the barbarian's - eyes that were contorted with anger and fear. He met them all with his red-eyes, watching them with the patience and diligence of a direwolf studying a silver hart. Eirioch was proud. That is something that was never forgotten, and that never would be. He was proud, and he was tall - common in his lineage. It had been said that the lords of the north, the kings of Innis Buidhe had never bowed to anyone. Invaders from the South were strung up and killed, traders from the mainland were devoured in a mist of rosemary and thyme. Shadow beasts had never forced them to lower their eyes, and not even the Horned King demanded that his followers grovel beneath him ; they were Innisians. That was what the mainlanders had called them - but they were, more correctly, Fuil Ríar, the Blood of Kings, noble and proud and fierce. And Eirioch was no different. He had never bowed before anybody in his life. But he would.

Eirioch walked before Senior Hunter Amudar, and knelt at his feet, with the posture reserved for some mainland knight taking their vowed. He bowed his head, white locks long enough for their tips to brush the stone-floor. His eyes were still like burning coals in his face, but his words were measured and polite, carrying with them a sort of trained elegance - even though, the art of speaking was never something Eirioch had been trained it. He would have, had he not gone across the sea to places where he should not have been. But his words carried that training, practiced and careful, "My lord Hunter," he began, lifting his head only a fraction, so to look Amudar in the eye, "We are your guests. And for this, I invoke the right of Arán Agus Salann." The right of Salt and Bread. The right that no guests will be harmed by their hosts, that there will be no threats made. It was the right of sanctuary, the protection of the guest by the host - the idea that beneath the castle's roof, guests would be looked after, even if their enemies sought them. Eirioch cleared his throat, continuing clearly, "It would not do well to threaten my cousin further, for those who plot against their charges are accursed in the eyes of Gods and Men." He bowed his head once more, a gesture of humility. "I apologize on the behalf of our contingent."

Malik's vision blurred slightly as a piercing pain went through his skull. Umbra was furious with him, he knew. And his punishment for his outburst would be harsh. He bowed his torso, legs straight, in the desert-manner, to Brigit.

"Please, forgive my outburst. I'm quite prone to anger after threat," he stated modestly as he rose again and made for his chambers. He wanted none to see the agony he was sure to go through. He knew his fate, yet he still tried to change it. He knew, power would be his destruction, leaving nothing left of him but blackened bones and molten flesh. A scar on the land just as he was a scar on man. An eternal tribute to darkness.

As he closed and locked his chamber door, he fell with a soft thud, and saw, again, into damnation.

A
mudar sighed and gave the man kneeling before him an accepting nod. Seeing as the man did not accept a hand-shake as a greeting and that he was a proud fellow, the older man would not offer him a hand up as he didn't believe the younger would take it. Instead he gestured for him to stand. He knew the rest of the hall was staring at them and was dreading an "I told you so" that Aine would later state after this fiasco. "Come on son, that's enough. You don't have to ask for Arán Agus Salann, it was already yours when you entered here."
He looked around the room with a steely gaze that made a good portion of the Hunters silence their whispering gossip and hang their heads in shame. "Apparently, people have forgotten."
"Go back to your seat and let's get this orientation finished." Amudar waited for the younger man to stand and return to his seat, hearing the rest of the hall go back to their own devices and ignoring the group. With the chances of brawl not imminent, there was no point for the spectators to continue watching them. This had not gone the way it should have and he didn't react fast enough to quell it before it nearly boiled over. Aine should not have been placed in a situation where she would have to talk an assassin down in her own Guild, her own home. Maybe, the leaders had sacked him more than they would be able to handle this time around. Come to think of it, this group was strangely compiled with some troubling characters. Most of them, he knew had be involved in dark magics. As long none of them had sold their souls to the Shadow Beasts, he wouldn't have to restrain Aine from murdering any of the lot.
"With all the introductions out of the way. Let's talk about the mission then." He stated with a cheerful smile and sat on a bench in the middle of the group with Aine sitting beside him. "Your first mission may or may not be simple. Its a hard thing to determine when children are involved. A village just two days south from our present location has just sent messages to the Guild requesting aid in the search of their missing children. A total of fourteen were taken all at the same time during the night. The village's Constable is not equipped to handle something like this and was wise to ask for our help. We leave in the morning after breakfast. I suggest you get plenty of rest."
He offered a "good evening" and retired to his rooms.

M
issing children, Aine thought and felt a shudder go through her. It was one of those missions that brought back the bad memories of being in that cave with the rest of the children from the village she had been experiencing a celebration in. She hadn't gone back to that village since then and didn't know if the people could ever celebrate any kind of holiday there again. Too many lives were taken from them and she knew from eavesdropping on her father's conversation with Amudar back then that some people had committed suicide afterwards as well. It was never made clear why they did but the most common reasons anyone could comes up with was that the sorrow of losing a loved was too hard or that the women could not bear to live after their bodies were violated. She felt sick just thinking about it.
After the whole cluster fuck of a meeting they just had, she was beginning to have a migraine.

This had not been what Brigit had intended. She was a tactician and a master of controlling the battlefield, but her introduction to the Hunters had fallen into chaos. She had allowed the presence of witches to alarm her and her shield had dropped, allowing her enemies an opportunity to dart in and antagonize her with mosquito bite insults and threats although she knew she was safe. She had eaten their food and drank their wine and she was protected from their treachery. But instead of keeping her cool and watching, observing and preparing, she had gone on the attack. Thankfully, so had the others. As irrationally as she felt she had handled the situation, she took solace in the fact that Viper distrusted the asarlaí as much as she did, that Palomina was rash as she was and that her commander was not as clever as she was. She had lost the battle, but she would win the war.

As the asarlaí explained his goals though, she recalled just why she distrusted him. He was admittedly power-hungry and he wished to tame the Shadow Beasts that plagued his homeland and hers. He claimed to have seen the other side, but she knew he had not been to Sídhe. These morthir had foul, pitiful beliefs and they had allowed them to corrupt their entire society. But what troubled her most, perhaps even more than the sorcerer's eyes or his intentions, was his position as a holy man of sorts. Whoever had created the concept of Umbra had been a pretender, but in Earisse, the Trinity was hailed as the true gods and this twisted little man spoke with the authority of one of the three. He was dangerous and his lies held weight. And he seemed to think he was capable of feasting on Brigit's soul. As much as she didn't find the hunched mockery of a man especially threatening, she didn't mean to test him.

Palomina did little to strike feat in Brigit's heart either, but the woman was hardly a priority anyway. She was just a brash, rude Hunter with misplaced loyalties and even that was of more use to the Lutair cause than a witch. To her credit, she had not shied away from the frozen dagger. She was either brave or foolish, but in the hands of a good commander, either could be useful. Perhaps, should the two be able to reconcile their differences when the asarlaí or the assassin inevitably choose to turn their backs on Earisse, Palomina would make a worthy ally. Or at the very least, a powerful pawn. Until the point when she came to accept the witches were dangerous though, Brigit expected little help or support from the wild woman.

Neither could she expect aid from the assassin. Viper seemed to distrust the sorcerer as much, if not more than she did, but he was just as tied up in the evils that threatened Innis Buidhe. He was a witch, regardless of where his moral compass pointed him, and Brigit had no tolerance for witches. She barely managed to coexist with Eirioch, and that was even with her admission that his dark magics were truly beneficial to Innis Buidhe. This snake-eyed assassin was not likely to put the state of her island nation ahead of all else. Blessedly, he dismissed himself from the gathering, but not without an unnecessary flourish, shooting his arrow into the ground and back flipping back to floor level. Brigit couldn't help but be a little impressed by the strength of the man's arrow, but he struck her as overly dramatic. Climbing to the table had taken time and had not added to the likelihood of hitting his target. His back flip showed grace, but would have made him an easy target in combat. As he stormed off, leaving his new companions behind, Brigit wondered if perhaps he was not as dangerous as she had once believed.

It seemed as though the conflict was ended. Brigit had backed down, Viper had retreated and Palomina was saving her attempt to best Brigit until another day. Still, Eirioch rested a hand on his cousin's shoulder and spoke in that same calm, disconcerting tone. Brigit hated it when Eirioch spoke. He was the one enemy she could never outwit or surprise and he knew it as well as she did. If she tried to go against his will or surprise him, he knew exactly what to expect. If she was ever troubled by a decision, she needed only to look over to him to be reminded that he already knew exactly what she was going to do. Her actions were not her own around the Dream-Seer of Clan Lutair, and that was a tactician's worst nightmare. Eirioch, on the other hand, never had to grapple with decision-making. His tactics were flawless without any effort and his actions always produced the necessary results. Usually they were the actions she would have taken as well, but sometimes he surprised her. This was one of those moments.

As Brigit watched, horrified by what she was seeing, but unwilling to show that emotion on her face, Eirioch made his way to Amudar and knelt before him. He knelt. Brigit had never struggled harder to maintain her composure. Lutairs were not meant to kneel, least of all the Abthane himself. They were Fuil Ríar, the descendants of the first settlers of Innis Buidhe, the truest issue of the line of Padean, of Milread and her treacherous brothers, Maoilios and Mungon, of Torcall the Tall, Asgall the Endearing, and the King of Compassion, Kathal. They were the blood of Lutair himself and Clan Lutair had never bent the knee until the second coming of the oracle-hero himself. Dark times had fallen on Innis Buidhe if Eirioch was willing to forsake his family's honor for this.

Although her cousin may kneel, Brigit never would. She made her way around the table, wine still in hand and stood behind the man who would be her husband. She was the true tactician, but he was right. As much as she hated to admit it, he was always right and that scared her more than his willingness to kneel. A calm, if begrudged nod of her head was the best Amudar and his Hunters would get from her. The sorcerer as well deemed fit to make peace, apologizing for his outburst and Brigit offered him a halfhearted nod as well, before he turned and disappeared.

Eirioch stood and Amudar explained their mission, something about missing children from a village to the south. It meant very little to Brigit. She focused on the Senior Hunter and nodded with understanding as if she were somehow invested, but she could not move past the fact that Eirioch, a morthir in his own right, but still her cousin and betrothed, and a Lutair by birth, had just bent his knee to a southerner, an Earissian morthir with dangerous allies to defend his home. This was how far her family had fallen. Coming to Cael Wal Llywd had been a reminder of this in its own way, but she had never expected submission or complacency.

His roommate continued to go on and on about what he had done at the table, but Viper paid no mind to his ramblings. He merely zoned out the boys speech hearing only the little bit of words he wished to hear, awesome, cool, crazy, and you are going to get yourself killed, then his roommate said the one thing that would catch Vipers attention above all else. He spoke about the mission that was given to that ticking bomb of a team, what could the mission be that would be their initiation. Would they be forced to take down shadow beasts? Would they be taken out to a grounds and forced to fight to merely test their skill against one another? Or would they be sent to track somebody….something he was good at? His mind shot to different ways to prepare for this initiation but first he had to hear the details. His golden eyes shot to his roommate that continued speaking, his gaze seemed almost intimidating without him meaning to and his lips parted in a hurried tone.

"what is our mission tomorrow?"

"A village just two days south from our present location has just sent messages to the Guild requesting aid in the search of their missing children. A total of fourteen were taken all at the same time during the night. They said to get a nights of rest and be ready for travel and to get some work done, that's all I heard before I rushed out to find you."

Vipers mind now began to run over what his roommate had heard, a town with children missing fourteen to be exact and they were sent to find them. His eyes shifted around the room for a second, he had to prepare well for this mission his first one. He shot from his bed and to his knees on the hardwood floor, his hands shifted about beneath the bed seeming to look for something, it didn't take long before he grasped his hands around the top of a bag and yanked it from its hiding spot beneath the feathered structure and to the ground beside him. He dumped its contents all over the spot next to him watching as two sheathed knives fell to the floor, both were a deep black color with red designs curling around the blade. He picked them both up and placed them at his waist on either side, making sure they were secure before pulling them back off and setting them against the wood where he kept his clothes. He reached into the bag and pulled out four vials each of them filled with a different color liquid which he sat next to the knives.

"What is that?"

The words of his roommate drew him from the daze he was in, counting supplies and making sure he had everything. His roommate had questioned him about the four vials, Viper didn't know if he wanted to tell his roommate about each of the samples since they were of his own creation. He lifted the vial containing the green liquid up and shook it up a bit before staring at his roommate through it, he would tell him about the creations for now maybe he would understand Vipers trade at that point and why he hated being messed with. He set the vial down before finally parting his lips and answering the question of his roommate.

"This green liquid is a very potent neurotoxin, its used to paralyze the muscles of the body slowly killing someone if I so wished it. When mixed with a plant that I have in my bag it becomes a vapor that I would shoot at the end of an arrow and have fill a room killing multiple targets inside. When paired with a small dose of Nightshade, a rare flower found only in my old home the poison will be less potent simply paralyzing someone for merely a few moments…enough time to be apprehended."

He lifted up the red vial next and looked at it himself, even now he could see the traces of green that danced through the crimson liquid. He remembered the first time he crafted this concoction from that witches blood…he had to say it was good for something. He lowered the vial back down to the dresser and looked towards his roommate with almost a sinister smirk.

"This creation I made myself from the blood of a witch I killed weeks ago, her blood held a very high dosage of an explosive compound. When placed on the tip of an arrow and fired, the first thing the arrow comes in contact explodes. Its not smart to use this vial in an enclosed space for it could kill you and your target. The last two vials the black and blue vials are untested so I honestly don't know what they do, but I intend to find out. For now though I will rest I may need it for tomorrow.."

With that he scooped everything up in his black cloak and laid it into the dresser before climbing into bed and merely closing his eyes allowing sleep to claim his night.

Crack!

Malik grunted, hot tears pouring down his face from the pain of the whip lashing his bare back. As usual, he was strung up by his wrists, facing the wall, unable to see his tormentor.

Crack!

This one was lower down than the last, and curved all the way around his body, prompting a cry of intense pain as his loins were left burning.

"You've endured enough," said the same deep, honeyed voice that he'd heard that one day before he'd been returned to his broken body.

The voice he'd assumed to be Umbra's.

He awoke with a start. The pain of his countless lashes still haunting his body, though he had no mark that was not there to begin with. He limped over to his bed, laid down upon it, and slept, though it would still provide him no rest.

H
aving about enough of the evening, Aine's migraine which she was blaming on the irritating people she was stuck with supervising had lost her appetite altogether and was going to bed. Standing up from the table, she stopped by Palomina and bid her good evening before leaving the Mess Hall. Blood pounded in her head so loud she could hear it and felt like a vise was being tighten around her head. Migraines were sadly a common ailment for her since she was a child and usually the best remedy for it was to lie down for awhile. With her hand lightly touching the wall as she made her way to the staircase leading to her room, she did her best to walk in a straight line. The migraines she would get would vary in if they made her nauseous or affect her equilibrium but at the moment she wasn't having any issues thus far with either.
Her room was in the middle of one of the housing towers and was lucking to not have a roommate. The year before she was stuffed into a room with three other woman who had proceeded to drive her batty nearly everyday, that she started sleeping in the library to avoid their catty behavior. The women eventually either washed out or were dispatched to other Citadels leaving her the last roommate. Needless to say, she defended her room from having others living with her that the housing staff had given up on giving her another roommate. She liked it that way.
Coming upon the level that Amudar slept, she stopped when she heard voices coming from the hall. Normally she would have ignored it and continued on but something just didn't feel right about it. Turning to look down the corridor where the voices came from, she recognized Amudar and a woman she had not seen before conversing. There was something off with the woman, but she couldn't put her finger on it. She didn't seem like she belonged here. With those little details she began to wonder if he was speaking with a spirit. She had seen them before numerous times but she always made it a point not let them know she could see them. There could have been consequences for her gifts and she didn't really want to find out.
Ducking back up into the staircase, she put the whole thing out of her mind for now and went to her room to sleep that rest of the night.

'A thane thay him call,
and that we deny;
How shuld it so fall,
great mervell have I!'
-- Prologue, 'Torcall' by Gatha Moireach

Eirioch rose to his feet, after his invocation was dismissed. His wife had not been threatened, by the senior hunter but her pride was, and that was as much of a threat to Brigit as anything else. He brushed a hand down the front of his formal, black frock, and tilted his head towards Brigit, white hair falling like a curtain over one of his narrow shoulders. He returned to the table, and glanced down at the ashy corpse of the partridge on the table. His brows furrowed.The other members of the team had fled, reminding Eirioch very much of frightened hens, or children who knew they had been caught doing something their parents would scold them for. He knew the assassin was listening to declarations of love with feigned interest, towards a man who had loved him for his entire life, that would never be fulfilled in his passions. He knew that the assassin used to blood of a witch - one who claimed to have the dream-sight, the ability to see - to coat his arrows and they had been magically distilled into poisons that with the barest spark would explode into flame. A reckless sort of toy, but Eirioch understood that it had a purpose ; the purpose of glamour and appearance, which obviously Viper valued very highly. The mage, though, the mage was suffering. Asarlaí Malik was trapped in dreams, just as Eirioch would be, when he laid in bed. His pagan god was punishing him. The Innisians did not believe in the Trinity of Gods, nor in the Trinity of afterlife. The Innisians believed that the tTrinity were merely lesser gods sent as emissaries by the Horned King, and that the three afterlifes of the Earisseans were just aspects of Sidhe. Eirioch knew the truth of the matter, he had seen it, on the edges of the place where he could not See. He had taken to calling that space, the Deireadh Áiteanna. In his language, that meant 'The End of Places'. He would walk the edges of the place, tonight. And he would see things that would terrify him to his very core. He wondered if the pain that he could See in Malik could even hope to match the Deireadh Áiteanna. That was something he did not know, just as he did not know anything of the girl in the red-cloak, save for some elements of her past, a girl with pig-tails and skinned knees ; something that her father would always see her as. But Eirioch could not See her, and that disturbed him and thrilled him, just as Deireadh Áiteanna did.

Eirioch slid behind the table, standing not three inches from his chair. But he did not pull the chair back or away, making no move to resume his seat. He could feel the eyes of the hall focused on him, him and Brigit. He knew that this was the first time most of them had ever seen one of the white haired witches of the North -- and now, they saw two. And worse than that, they saw the way that the Southerners were able to treat them. Eirioch looked towards his wife. His red-eyed studied her face. She was lost in thought, he knew, lost in thinking about the witches that had joined their company, witches that he knew she would loathe. But he had done the right thing, the thing that had been expected of him. He had invoked , and that was what was needed to move forward in this mummer's play. His thoughts went towards a play that he had seen, int he brief year that he had spent back on the shores of Innis Buidhe. As a child, he had loved plays, particularly the ones that depicted fools rising to glory. Perhaps, even then, Eirioch knew. But the Abthane knew that the truth was that as a boy, he had been a fool. The play that had been one of the great Moráltacht Seinn of Innis Buidhe, a morality play. Morality plays typically contained a protagonist who represented humanity as a whole ; in this case, it was the legendary Torcall the Tall. The supporting characters were personifications of good and evil, who served as the play's audience guide to the overwhelming moral of the piece. Inevitably, the play's protagonist died, going straight to Sidhe. And the audience was shown whether or not the protagonist learned from the morals that he had been preached; and if not, the tale became cautionary. Eirioch could not help but apply the concept of the Moráltacht Seinn to his own situation. Each of the witches would show their morality soon enough, from the mask of Ambition that asarlaí Malik wore upon his haggard face, to the crown of Conspiracy that his own betrothed did. Not that she knew. She would not know for a very long time. But she was angry that he had kneeled, and that anger would last past his life-time. That was something that he knew.

Eirioch extended a hand towards her, offering her one of his pale, long fingered hands. The extension of the hand was a peace-treaty, and a symbol. He knew his wife would know that - that the act of her taking his hands would be seen as a graceful way to escape the party. But she would not take it, that was something he knew. She was too proud and too offended by his actions. The Abthane withdrew his hand, and opted to fold his arms across his chest, keeping his head held high. There was pride in him as well. He was Fuil Ríar as well, and he showed it, in his actions. He still walked with a self-assured gait, and with a look in his eyes that was sharp and hard. He stared at each of the Guildsmen in the room, giving them each one of his hard, red-eyed looks. There was no disdain in his eyes, merely cold and appraising looks, a judge studying victims and the accused. He was telling them, with his eyes, that he was no ashamed of what he had done. Even though the white-haired witches of Innis Buidhe had never been known to kneel, he had, and he felt no regrets about the action. It had been necessary. He gracefully extracted himself from behind the table, after Brigit did not take his hands. He unfolded his arms to rest one hand on the pommel of each gallowglaigh that hung at his hips. And then, he walked across the room, towards the stairs that led to the tower of their chambers. He knew his wife would follow him, even without taking his hand. She wished to leave as much as he, to rid herself of the eyes of the southern men and women who stared too much and knew too little.

Their room was simple, and clean, within one of the towers of Caer Wal Llywd. It had been prepared by two young hunters', as a test of humility by their tutor. The room had one large canopied bed in the center, with yellow and red sheets to match the banners that hung from the ceilings of Caer Wal Llywd. There was a basin, for washing - accompanied by a table with a decatner with more sour southern wine. There was a chest, where they had stored their personal effects. His armor was in pieces, within that case, as were her clothes. Much of their effects, however, were stored within the heavy wooden wardrobe that rested on the southern wall, next to a window that overlooked a small courtyard, where strange southern shrugs and grasses grew, completely different to the ones that grew in Innis Buidhe. The dark hardwood was covered in a thick red carpet with twisting vines in golden threads. Indulgent, Eirioch thought, compared to the royal bedroom that he and his lady wife would share, the day the banners burned. But that had not happened yet, and would not happen for a time. He stared at the bed for a moment with his red eyes. He would share the bed with his lady wife, but they would not touch in their sleep, and there would certainly not be any love-making, if there was any love to have. The conception of their son would not happen for many months yet, he knew. Eirioch cleared his throat, and turned on one of his booted heels. He knew that Brigit would be behind him, when he turned.

"You may not approve, Brigit," he said, slowly, "But this is what must be done, to win support in Earisse." Eirioch cleared his throat, and ran a hand down his hands down the front of his black frock, and then, settled on the side of the four-posted bed, sitting and staring at his lady-wife with his red eyes. He already knew her response, and only waited a moment for her to give her answer. When her response was given, he began to undo his smock, unclasping the high collar, tugging off smock and shirt. Beneath there was simply pale, tight skin, pulled tautly across Eirioch's bones. There were welts across his arms and back, gently weeping out thin strands of Fuil Ríar along his skin ; and there were scars too, rings of pink scars that wrapped up his forearms. He knew that his wife suspected what he had done to earn these welts and scars, but he also knew that there was nothing she could do about these scars ; though she loathed to share a bed with a witch. It was said that those who laid with witches would become a witch's familiar, bound to them forever and always. A witch could see through their familiar's eyes, a witch could sacrifice their familiar to give themselves years and years of additional life. A witch's familiar would be the witch's slave, and could never go against their will - would follow them to the ends of the earth, even if it meant suicide. But there was no truth to these things. He may have been a witch, but she was not his familiar. She was his betrothed.

He stripped down to his small clothes, and then, folded them neatly on the chest at the end of the bed. He cleared his throat, and looked towards Brigit. Eirioch's red-eyes glittered for a moment, in the gloom of their bed-room. "You will dream tonight." His lips twitched, in the ghost of a smile that had not really, truly been there since he was a child. He then, returned to the side of the bed, pulling away the coverlet, and creeping in-between the sheets. His sores had made stains on the sheets, and though he knew that the sheets had been throughly starched, cleaned as much as the two hunter-children could, the stains would always remain. His wife's side of the bed, however, was unblemished. It was his side that was rotten. He pressed his head against the pillow, white hair fanning around the bed in long ribbons - much longer than his wife's hair was. When she was a child, it had been longer. But it had been shorn. He closed his eyes, the red gleam of his witch-lights suppressed beneath his eyelids. Dreams would overtake him, soon.

And they did.

Suddenly the intensity of flared tempers were quelling all around her. Palomina felt no malice for these guests - she only wished they knew how to contain their tempers until a time deemed acceptable to release it. Sure, the Northern Strategist, Brigit, was being a major pain in Palomina's ass, but she stepped down with the Gallowglass' good word. This man knew things. Possibly some very dangerous things, but knowledge is something well received in all forms. She decided that he was the single most deserving of her favor, but also her caution. His eyes were wrong. Not like the snake-eyed assassin, with eyes of the serpent, but they were just... Wrong. Maybe it was some minor clairvoyance from what little magical potential she had, or some superstition she held in the back of her mind. She would never feel safe around this man unless she was armed. Perhaps he knew that as long as she was, her ability to react might save her life from the most dangerous situation this man could put her in. Palomina took pride in her mind and body, though you wouldn't think she had much of a former from her appearance.

Palomina dedicated her thoughts to rethinking when was a good time to overreact. There was a place for it. During field instruction, it seemed to her that if she yelled loud enough, they'd get the picture, or go deaf and end up dead. She felt the need to reorganize her social graces. 'Defeat the Rude' didn't seem like the best idea anymore. She may have kept her pride, but the Strategist still showed her that she was wrong about a thing or two. But Palomina had mostly presumed correctly. It did not matter where one intended to go, they must be prepared for anything. When Inferno freezes over, perhaps the Scorpions will attack their little island, and her glorified snowflakes and flashy candlelighting wouldn't help her. She obviously didn't foresee such an outcome, despite being a strategist. Always be ready for anything, no matter where you are. At least Palomina didn't have to worry about magical alignment, though she acknowledged she was missing out. Perhaps she could spent the wee hours of the night sharpening her blade?

No, she needed sleep, just like everyone else.

Brigit was lost deep in her own thoughts when her cousin dared to extend his hand, just as the southerners had done moments before. To him, it was a peace offering, but in her eyes, it was an insult, a taunt that made her blood boil. She would not take it, though she knew it was the right thing to do. With all these eyes on them, Hunters from across Earisse who were all seeing a Lutair for the first time, Brigit knew she should keep up appearances and take her betrothed's hand and make a graceful exit, but she refused. And he knew she would refuse, he had to. He had seen her refuse time and time again, in his waking dreams and in the nightmares she was forced to watch him suffer through. And yet he still extended his hand, the fool. He was deliberately undermining her in front of an already tenuous ally. He was outmaneuvering her. He, who had come to her all those years ago, crying about his scraped knees and who had asked to sleep in her bed when he had nightmares. Normal ones. He, who could never defeat her in a game of cliste, no matter how many times they played. He, who needed her help to pull back his first bow, to mount his first horse, to lift his first gallowglaigh. And now he extended his hand…

Perhaps Brigit was supposed to take it, not only for the sake of appearances, but for the sake of Eirioch's fragile concept of an irrefutable fate, but she would not. She had rebelled against his will before, but he had always expected it. Maybe this time was different. Either she was finally free and he would be furious once they were away from the others, or he knew she would refuse and she should be furious that he would be such fool as to put her in that position. If she could strike him, here in the eyes of these heathen morthir, she would. He could see things, yes, but she was stronger. Her grasp of the Bodagh was greater and she could transfer heat where he could not. If they fought, she would win. But in winning, she would lose. She would be an outlaw and a kinslayer, accursed in the eyes of gods and men. Clan Lutair would fall without her or Eirioch, and she could not allow that. Ever.

Her cousin turned on his heel, making his way to the door. Part of her wanted to stay, an even further insult to him, but she knew she was not welcome here. These Hunters were the morthir, but she was the outsider. She was one of the lucht siúil now, one of the Lutairs who left their island home, and those never fared well in the South. The last to do so had been her own grandmother, Ciorstag of the Taigh an Leargaidh Lutairs, who traveled to Earisse like her father before her and his uncle before him in hopes of recovering the sword of their ancestor, Raghnall. It had been lost when he had sailed out to meet the Naga head on and let his entire fleet be destroyed. His ship had been one of three that survived and each landed somewhere on the mainland. A trilogy of plays by an Earissian playwright told the tales of each ship, portraying the Lutair commander and his men as fools who blundered about getting bested by Tolmachs, Camrans and even Martainns before finally meeting their doom at the hands of Sìne Tolmach. Ciorstag had not fared much better, though she did survive the trip. When she returned though, she was a changed woman. Failing where her father and great-uncle had as well, she had turned to a supposed oracle of Clan Greum, not knowing the man to be an asarlaí. The witch showed her things, things no one should see, and by the time Brigit had been born, Ciorstag had fallen so far into madness that her son, Oisean, had thrown her out of Taigh an Leargaidh, left to wander Innis Buidhe, mumbling of Shadow Beasts and witches until the day she died. Brigit wanted better than that.

Once Eirioch had traveled a few feet, Brigit slowly climbed back to her feet, his admonition still ringing in her ears. He had reminded her to keep her temper, he had apologized on her behalf, he had knelt. And he had offered his hand. She was sure now that he had done so on purpose and not because he expected a different reaction. She had not broken away from her own fate, just as she had not gone against his expectations by following him out of the dining hall. She would never break away from Eirioch's vision of the future, no matter how hard she tried. She shook her head, her cold eyes looking straight ahead as she walked. The Hunters were staring, she knew. She wondered if they looked at her with fear, amusement or respect after her display. She had snapped, yes, but she had also demonstrated without a doubt that she was not to be trifled with. She was Milread, not Ciorstag. She was strong and they were blind if they failed to see that.

The tower the Hunters had prepared for her and her cousin likely seemed a fine example of hospitality to those who had prepared it, but it made Brigit uncomfortable. The red and yellow bed dressings reminded her that she was far from home. Cael Wal Llywd was a big castle, and though it was defensible from the monsters outside, she was more worried about those within the walls. She drank heavily from the decanter of wine placed on the table. It was sour. That was good. Her thoughts were beginning to blur, and although she was beginning to have trouble remembering all the reasons as clearly, she was furious with Eirioch. He had knelt and he had extended his hand. He had knelt, bent his knee, submitted before the Senior Hunter and besmirched the name of Clan Lutair. He had knelt. He had extended his hand. But he knew. He had to have known. He had extended his hand.

Brigit needed to sit down.

She half sat, half fell onto the bed, doing her best to maintain her balance even though she knew her cousin had seen that exact moment before, had watched her drop gracelessly onto the red and yellow sheets. His back was turned, but he had seen anyway. He always did, but he made no mention. Instead, he spoke. "You may not approve, Brigit. But this is what must be done, to win support in Earisse." He sat across from her, a hand running down his frock. She wondered why he even bothered to speak to her. She was clever enough to know he was always right, and his reminding her only served to push them further apart. It felt as though he existed solely to infuriate her, again and again. He was everything she wanted, the perfect strategist and heir apparent to Taigh an Croch, the head of Clan Lutair and nearly a holy figure in the eyes of the small folk, but he had done nothing. He was still just a foolish little boy who had failed to graduate from his mainland school of witchery.

"Innis Buidhe was built by great men and women upon solid ground. Our castles are sturdier, our hearths burn hotter and our towers stand taller. A kingdom like that requires the support of strong backs and quality resources." Brigit turned away from him, looking back to the wine decanter. She wanted more, but she knew she would regret that decision. "These morthir offer us only hunched witches, accursed bows and sour fucking wine." Eirioch was hardly listening. He knew what she was going to say. She turned angrily and staggered to the far side of the room to undress, her back turned on her cousin. She had seen her share of foul wounds and sickly bodies in her years at war, but she had never been forced to share a bed with the amputees and breoites that had crowded the medical tent. Her cousin was nearly too much to look at, though she had seen him before. But that was only part of why she loathed sharing a bed with him.

Innisian legend spoke of the fate that awaited those who dared to lay with a witch. According to the old wives tales, anyone who shared the bed of an asarlaí would become the sorcerer's familiar, little more than a slave to it's master's whims. In the days of Iar-Thane Kathal, there had been a witch at court, the original Asarlaí herself. She had been welcomed into the great castle of Sanquhar so that she might help the Thane defeat his cousin, Donahue, who hailed from Taigh an Leargaidh, but she had not confined herself to matters of war. According to the legends, she had bedded Kathal's finest soldier, Neacal Moireach, the Speaker of the Horned King, Diarmad Rothach, and the even Kathal's son, Faolan. They had been powerful men in their own right, with legends of their own before Asarlaí corrupted them. But after she arrived, Neacal was bested for the first time, Diarmad was caught stealing from Kathal's treasury and Faolan threatened to join Donahue's armies in an act of rebellion against his father. When Donahue was finally defeated though, and Asarlaí was put to death, all three found their own deaths as well. Diarmad was hanged the day after Kathal's witch, his treachery making him a mockery in the eyes of Innisians. Neacal fell on his sword. Some said it was over the grief of being bested in single combat, but the legends persisted that he was a victim of the witch. And Faolan disappeared. There were several stories as to what became of him, the most popular being that he was actually the stag that gored Kathal some years later. More likely though, he threw himself off the cliffs near Taigh an Leargaidh, unable to bear a life without Asarlaí's touch.

Brigit shivered. It was far from cold in the tower, but the thought of sharing a bed with a witch, regardless of the fact that he was her betrothed, was not a comforting one. Hesitantly, she climbed under the sheets, wearing only her small clothes and avoiding the touch of Eirioch's cold, clammy skin. "You will dream tonight," he said, and when sleep finally found her, she did.

She was riding through a forest on the back of a stag with bloodstained antlers. At first she thought it was the forest a few miles from Taigh an Croch, but as she looked closer, she realized the plants were not right, and there was no snow. She must have been somewhere on the mainland. Scattered in the brush were bones, stripped of skin and muscle by the years and the elements. She knew these were the bones of the men that had landed here after their failed attack on the Naga. The skulls smiled up at her, forever content with their reputation as fools. Something flitted past in the trees above. She glanced up, drawing the heat from a nearby shrub to create a ball of flame. It withered and collapsed as her assailant came into view. It was Viper, staring down at her with his serpentine eyes. Yet his bow was not readied. He did not shoot. The asarlaí too emerged from behind a tree, coughing so hard that when his hand came away from his mouth, there was a spot of red on his pale skin. He glared at her with his hourglass eyes, but he did not attack. Brigit continued on, the stag leading her along until she came to a great castle. At the top of the tallest tower, she knew she would find the sword of Raghnall, the relic of her family that had been lost for so long. She was climbing the stairs, one step at a time and as she climbed she passed Aine, Palomina and Amudar. Their hands rested on their weapons and their eyes were cold and lifeless, but they did not attack. Finally, she reached the top, pushing open the door. Eirioch was waiting for her. He turned as she entered, his red eyes gleaming in the light of the torches on the wall. He was dressed, not in the colors of Clan Lutair, but in the red and yellow of the Hunters Guild. In one hand, he held a glass. In the other, he held a sword, finer than any she had seen before. "Wine, cousin?" he said as he offered her the glass. But she had no interest in the sour drink of the southerners. She wanted the sword, she deserved the sword more than he did and she surged forward, diving for the weapon. But he knew, as he always did. Her cousin stepped gracefully to the side and she was falling, falling over the edge of the balcony. She barely managed to catch herself with one hand, grasping desperately at the stone. Eirioch offered his hand.

Brigit let go.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Á
ine did not dream this night and that was a blessing compared to what some of the others had to witness in their slumber. She had taken an herbal infusion to chase her migraine away and it had made a possible long night of insomnia fair much better. Awaking to a sliver of sunlight piercing into her eye lid, she rolled out of bed instinctively and drudged around her room half-awake gathering her things for the mission. She didn't come to full consciousness until she was disrobed to barrenness and had splashed freezing cold water upon her face.
Áine was one of the few that fully bathed everyday. The Westerners of the deep forests like herself were religious about their hygiene that the housing staff was polite enough to find her a decent tub. Although she had sit crossed-leg to sit in it, it wasn't too uncomfortable to bathe in. She went through her ritual cleansing and quickly dried herself before finding the appropriate attire to wear. Although her Clan was as hygienic as the Northerners, they did not spend as much time on appearance if it wasn't needful like for court. Most of the time they wore comfortable clothing that functioned for their needs and restrained their hair either in throngs or braids. Like her brethren, she had the same by dressing in an off-white colored tunic, tan trousers, her red rough-hide leather boots and cloak. She would retrieve her armor after breakfast and would ready to be off.
Walking over to her bed, she scratched Gáe Bolg's ears and left him to continue sleeping. He slept on his own mat beside her bed as he had gotten too big to sleep with her like he did as a pup. If he tried, he would most likely break it with his weight. Being as big as a small horse, he had to be careful.
Locking her room for the time, she descended the staircase to the Mess Hall and found she was the the only person there beside the chefs in the kitchen. Normally being an awful early riser, this wasn't a surprising sight for her. Making her way to the kitchen, she leaned against the wall out of their way and bid them good morning. Margaret knew what she liked for breakfast and was already getting it ready for her. The chefs informed her of the gossip from last night, although she didn't care for such things getting them to not gossip was like pulling a tooth from an unruly child. Only one bit caught her attention and that was how the Northern Woman acted so cold to her cousin. That she refused to take a comforting hand before they left for their rooms. She didn't care much about their relationship but she did care if it would get in the way of their mission to save those children. As long as they could work as a group and get the job done, then she was a happy camper.
Taking her food, she left the chefs to do their work without her interrupting them further. All four tables were vacant so she wondered where should she sit today. Breakfast was a time where she didn't have to search for an empty spot, no the world was her oyster at this time. Remembering that she hadn't say at table two for awhile, she made her decision ventured over.
Placing her food on the table, she busied herself with replenishing her lost vitality from the past two days of not eating. Although she was starving, her Noble upbringing still forced her to eat like the civilized Lady she was brought up to be. As she ate her oatmeal, fried eggs and Eastern yogurt that she came to love with figs and honey, she waited for her "comrades" to make an appearance.

Palomina was starting to regret not taking the chance to sharpen her blade. She got restless hours before she had to be awake, so she had to stay up and take care of a few things. While she wasn't quite as clean as most other Southerners, she did know that hygiene prevented disease, which strikes even the strongest bodies.

She took a bucket nearly full of boiled water, and added some cold water to make it bearable. She wasn't much for the typical civil bathing situation because she couldn't do it in the field. She always preferred things she could do in the field. She didn't appreciate the peering eyes of others, however. She made sure to scout for a secluded lagoon in the nearby area last time she was at the guild. She still had a gross map of the area for reference. She made her way there and went into the buff for her bath. The woven furs she brought had also been boiled. They made great washcloths. Lastly, the soap she brought was made with bear fat, olive oil, and a few crushed herbs used to give her a pleasant, but natural smell. She had made it herself. It wasn't hard to make soap, but it could not be done in the wild because of the utensils and materials needed. To take such items with her would weigh her down far too much.

As Palomina finished, she redressed and returned to the guild to drop off the bucket, dry the soap and washcloths, pick up her arma, and take some time to call her wild comrades. Standing before the renowned structure, she took out a hollow goat horn and blew into it. It made a characteristic brassy sound. A few animals came from the brush nearby. She chose the youngest wolf, the youngest bear, and the youngest stag, gesturing the others to leave. She had these friends from a mission she took nearby awhile back, so naturally they'd all be mature, and even elderly. The youngest would be the strongest. Suitable for the quest. They attacked on command, and kept themselves contained when instructed. They were, however, still as savage as Palomina appeared to be - they just followed her as their domina, as she said. She instructed a rookie to find Amudar or Aine, and tell them she'd meet them in the courtyard with her beasts. Even if they had no interest in using creatures of the wild as personal soldiers, they'd do well to learn how to appease them so they do not attack on a mission. Palomina could tame even the vicious felines of the East.

Last edited:
It didn't take long after his eyes had shut before the sandman gripped him in his hold, he had hoped the night would be dreamless, practically prayed for it. Luck would have it that his night was rather peaceful, no freaky eyes, no glimpses of those dark soulless eyes merely him resting before the mission the next day. The morning sun peering through the dark black curtains would be the light that pulled him from the grip of his sleep and allow his eyes to slip open slowly..he took a minute to allow his eyes to adjust before slipping up in bed, his eyes shifting around the room for a mere moment. A yawn passed through his lips and into the warm air that surrounded him, it was time to get ready for the one mission they had today. He rose from the bed and made his way to the washroom they were gifted, the one they had to share with each of their roommates. He was glad that the guild pretty much covered everything for each of the rooms, but if each of the new recruits rooms looked like this…he could only imagine the seniors rooms.

He felt the water as it danced of his body, the feel of the warm water was nice on the few scars that danced over his pale skin. He held his head slightly down as the water slid past the ends of his hair and dripped to the floor beneath him, his eyes were shut allowing the water to wash away the incident from yesterday and allowing them all to start anew. He thought back to what his roommate had said about their mission…missing children…he had morals despite the training he had been taught and people who mess with any form of innocent child needs to be shot through the head. He splashed the last of the water across his face and stood to look himself in the mirror, but what looked back was not what he expected. He saw those eyes, those same golden eyes staring back at him…that voice echoing in his head at that moment. Foolissssssh Child, he closed his eyes and opened them again in a flash and all that stared at him was his own reflection, his own golden eyes. He shook his head and began to dress for the trek ahead.

He normally wore the same armor for missions all the time, but this time something told him he would have to wear his attire, the attire he uses when he takes contracts. He began to pull on the attire, it was much like that of leather but was made out of cloth. The look of the attire made it seem almost civilian like clothes, but the inside was crafted with very intricate black snake scales, they would be heavy normally but the attire was enchanted to be much lighter by some of the members of his house. Over top of the armor like attire he wrapped his cloak, the same black color as the armor but it hung down just enough to show off his feet, which were covered in black like wrappings. He pulled the four vials off the dresser and tucked them inside his cloak, he pulled the two daggers off next, he slid one down and tied it lightly just below his knee and the other he tied around his waist. He shifted his hand into the second drawer of the dresser and pulled out the last of his possessions, his favored weapon…..his Bow.

He equipped the bow on his shoulder sliding it so it rested easily on his right shoulder, he placed the quiver along his back slinging the wrapping a diagonal position over his body. He picked up the mouth piece and placed it over his mouth and nose and just like the shadow he looked like he disappeared from the room sliding on a pair of dark leather gloves. He mad his way down to the mess hall once again, this time his stomach growled at him almost evilly letting him know that it was hungry. He slipped through the line grabbing merely a plate of pancakes and some maple syrup before sliding in the seat across from Aine, he didn't speak and merely slipped off the mask to eat waiting on the others to catch up with the rest of them…he knew they were in for a long couple of days.

Malik opened his eyes to the hiss of a cobra that had made it's way into his room. It curled around his upper arm and tickled his cheek with it's tongue, eliciting a short chuckle from the Mage. In spite of his recent beating, he felt light-hearted, happy in the serpent's company. He felt strength like he hadn't since before his tests as he rose from his straw mattress. He looked down to see new muscle rippling throughout his body. He looked to where he'd stored the Naga soul before, and saw only a shining blue gem. No glow, no venomous, hate-filled eyes staring back at him. Just that one beautiful stone. He silently thanked Umbra before he went to the small fountain in the corner. Water flowed from a nearby river through an opening in his room, and fell into a basin with a fist-sized hole in it. No doubt how the serpent had entered. He washed himself thoroughly, his new, apparently pet, having slithered over to a mouse hole. A loud squeak could be heard as the snake bit into the vermin, then proceeded to swallow it whole.

As Malik finished drying, he took a palmful of bear fat and ran his hands through his hair, leaving it slick and shiny, but he liked it because it made sure noone could hold him by it. He pulled his black robes over his, now well-muscled figure, knowing it would last only a few weeks at most, then opened a nearby chest. He gazed at the shining ebony armour set, with skulls and demonic faces engraved into it. It had been too long since he'd been able to wear his heavier fatigues, and he would enjoy every second of it. He muttered a ritual chant as he donned each bit.

"Power, seamless illusion. Sought by all, found by few. Those without it, protected as my own. Those who abuse it, their souls consumed."

As Malik recited the last line, he donned a skull mask of palest moonstone, pulled his usual hood over it, grabbed his scythe as well as a smallsword, and made his way back to the mess hall, his new, deadly companion coiled around his left gauntlet and his amulet protected by his chestplate.

He entered with a stride that, combined with his temporarily strong form, left him unrecognisable, if not for the scythe and coughing fit that racked his lungs as he walked. He grabbed a plate of scrambled eggs and bacon, then went over to sit directly across from Viper, his new companion glaring at the serpent-eyed assassin with either malice or curiosity. It was never easy to tell with true vipers.

Status
Not open for further replies.