3. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Urban Fantasy, High Fantasy, Epic Quest, Sci-Fi, Time Travel and World Hopping, Steampunk, Action/Adventure, Modern Drama, Mystery, Slice of Life, Romance, and many more.
Do you often use visual aids like pictures, charts, maps, etcetera , to help organize or explain your world, or do you write out long lists or blocks of text?

Do you think one is better than the other?

I use visual aids whenever possible because I like them and other people do, too! I don't think they're strictly necessary, but they do add a nice little something. I am fond of maps in particular.

Personally, I do both. Text is important given that this is a text-based system. It would make no more sentence for an artist to rely on a paragraph to explain their creation than for a RPer to rely on a picture. Commentary from an artist can lend insight and clarity to an artwork, however, so there's no reason that a supplementary visual piece can't make things come into focus RP-wise, either. ^^

I'm also a cartographic geek. Human Geography is only making me worse by giving me fancy new vocabulary. My sociomilitary place-of-interest flat map is almost done, but I forgot to take curvature into account so my scale is screwed up big time. :c It's not such a big deal in my climate zone map, but I'm worried some of the Northern cities might be too close together now.

Personally, I do both. Text is important given that this is a text-based system. It would make no more sentence for an artist to rely on a paragraph to explain their creation than for a RPer to rely on a picture. Commentary from an artist can lend insight and clarity to an artwork, however, so there's no reason that a supplementary visual piece can't make things come into focus RP-wise, either. ^^

I'm also a cartographic geek. Human Geography is only making me worse by giving me fancy new vocabulary. My sociomilitary place-of-interest flat map is almost done, but I forgot to take curvature into account so my scale is screwed up big time. :c It's not such a big deal in my climate zone map, but I'm worried some of the Northern cities might be too close together now.

I couldn't say this any better.

And also. Would you mind sharing given map? Sounds nice, and I also need a little help with actually drawing places. I have a map around here somewhere.

@Arkik
I don't have a scanner, so best I can do is snap some pics on my phone. Unfortunately, the files are too large to directly upload, so I'll need to go through a freewebs to do it, so it could take time. Or I could text/email the pics directly to you, if you'd feel comfortable sharing. It would save me the trouble of having to sync my phone and all. XD

Sure just gimme a second. :3

*edit*

If you want I can send my *prototype* map of my world if you like.

Boop, here's mine.
sr9V1tc.jpg

Reactions: Minibit
Status
Not open for further replies.