Vintage Gaming Verus New Age Games

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

Which would you rather?

• Vintage

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • New Age

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Variable X

Original poster
Just curious, which you prefer? And if possible, why?

I'd probably have to say new. Not that there aren't some vintage ones I like, but I'm a 96 baby and got my first Playstation in... 02? Anything from before 2000 is too old for me to have any nostalgic memories of, and honestly, most of them just don't have all that much to offer except for nostalgia. New games tend to have more features, better plots, more complexity... and they've learned from the mistakes of the past, for the most part.

That is like asking me if I like wings or beer during a Super Bowl. I can't have one without the other >:[

• Love
Reactions: Dawn and Smo
That is like asking me if I like wings or beer during a Super Bowl. I can't have one without the other >:[

Agreed.

• Thank You
Reactions: Fijoli
Do you mean tabletop games? Then... I have to say I'd tend to prefer to play something new. Old games tend to be dense with rules and charts, and as much as I might enjoy them, computers handle math and data far faster and easier than I can. I appreciate the generally more streamlined and play-oriented newer games to older ones.

If we're talking old video games, well... I tend to appreciate them more academically than genuinely. Baldur's Gate couldn't hold my attention shortly after the intro. Didn't play Icewind Dale to completion. Gave up Fallout 1 after I think I bugged the main quest up. Gave up on Fallout 2 at New Reno. Arcanum's systems are just odd and early on there's a completely crap motivation-killing dungeon. So... No, I'm not on board with the mindset of "New games suck, old games are the best."

I grew up when vintage gaming was considered modern. For all the neat special effects that have been added to video games over the years, I still very much enjoy the classics and text-based adventure games of the past.

I like new age games, mostly because they have more to offer in general. However, nothing keeps me from enjoying the older games when playing them sounds appealing.

Reactions: Smo
I can't choose an answer so easily >..<

I am a 90's baby(born in '92) so when you say "old" I think PlayStation, Nintendo 64, those consoles because that's what I had. There were sooo many great titles or those and older systems that will continue to be nostalgic and all around entertaining for me. They were much more challenging in my opinion. In a lot of those games there was no save point and if you died on level 5 you went back to level one.

In a few games nowadays you don't even need a save point, you can save wherever you are on the start screen. There are a lot of things I like about the new video games but that doesn't mean I would give up the old ones. I need both to survive!

Status
Not open for further replies.