Unlikely Friendships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hana

wandering thoughts
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Have you ever formed a friendship with someone you never imagined you would get along with, or relate to? Or someone you have very clashing opinions and personalities with, and you expected you'd be fighting instead of being friends?

My longest close friendship with one of my best friends was an unexpected development in my elementary school days. She was what you would call a 'mean little girl' in those days, and she often made other girls cry or fought with some targets. I was a reclusive bookworm and a bit of an oddball, and I had been targeted by her a few times, though not as much as her known enemies at the time.

One day, I found her crying alone in our classroom and for some reason or another, she passed me a note saying she hated how she didn't have any close friends and how everyone was scared of her. And for some reason, I stayed with her. We also ended up working together for a math competition as partners against other schools, and I found out that she was a bit of a dork because she outlined our answers on the board with hearts and put us in third place because she was too busy beautifying our quiz bee answer and we weren't able to raise it in time. 8D That was the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Actually, this relates to my best friend.

Our mothers forced us to be friends. Neither of us wanted anything to do with the other. We annoyed each other to no end. Nearly everything we did together turned into a fight. Soooo many fights. About everything. Barbies, Bratz, movies, ghosts, witches, fairies... it was endless. Things even escalated into physical fights a couple times. Now we've been friends for over 10 years and have matching tattoos. So, there's that ^.^

• Love
Reactions: Nemopedia and Hana
Just about all of you little shit heads.

The last day of last semester, I randomly asked a couple of classmates (but not before I hopped into a conversation with them) who I thought were cool if they wanted to go to the movies with me and hang out and we became frands. Pls note that Isla isn't usually this outgoing, so this was a big fat accomplishment for her.

• Love
I was one of those children that decided friends quickly. Which completely blindsided one of my friends. We were introduced by a mutual friend and I latched on and never let go. xD

• Love
The kid who kept congratulating me on my pregnancy. Let me explain.

In fourth grade, I and a handful of acquaintances in my class were part of a witch hunting club. It wasn't real, but we pretended it was and it was good fun. One day I brought one of those Dragonology books to school to share it with the club. Kids weren't allowed to bring such books to school. Instead of hiding it in my backpack, I hid it in my shirt like the smart kid that I was.

This kid, who was not part of our 'club', saw me with my book under my shirt. He assumed, as children often do, that I must surely be hiding something. Since I wouldn't show him what it was, he stomped off to get revenge. That's what kids do. Next day, I'm faced with the rumor that I'm now pregnant. A large book under my shirt for an hour was enough to classify me as pregnant in this little asshole's mind. At least once a month he'd congratulate me for my book offspring.

I won't fill you in on the details, but I did suffer through the rest of fourth grade with that weird rumor hanging over my head.

Cut to ninth, where he brought it up again in the basketball court and we laughed at it. That's it. We've been good friends ever since.

TL;DR I became good friends with the little asshole who kept trying to spread the rumor that I was pregnant, despite my body being incapable of such a thing. Going to high school is like doing a full 180.

• Love
Pretty much my entire current chatplay group, and not because none of us got along.

See, I started roleplaying on a Pokémon fan project forum that had its own RP section. Everything was going pretty well until myself and a mod got into a fight that led to both of us getting banned for a week. One of the other mods at the time didn't like what had happened and actually reached out to me directly, bringing me into what was then their combined IC and OoC Chatzy room. It was there I befriended her and the others, including Iwaku's own @Red Revolver. Flash forward six and a half years or so, and we're all adults and all still friends, and I help run a forum of my own with them.

If I hadn't've gotten banned that day, things probably would have been very different.

• Love
Unlikely friendships, eh? I've got a ton just on this site.

@Bob Ross because we technically knew each other for years on other sites, then just kinda fell in together.
@Fluffy because we're completely the same different and again, just kinda fell in together.
@Celest because well, we've never ever run in the same circles. Fast forward five years and we're homies. Bites her pocket in private
Then there's Titan, Orochi, Paorou, Diana, who all seem to accept me for the asshole I am. (Except Orochi and Pao because they're assholes too)

I always think people are too cool to be my friends hahaha because I'm kind of an obsessive dork and I think I'm pretty weird with all my silly quirks and weird thinking patterns. @Jorick and @Astaroth are two people I never thought I'd be close friends with and yet now I'd be at a total loss if I didn't have either of them to talk to everyday about all kinds of nonsense 8D I think I'm entertaining enough to keep around

Aww Gwazi, I always knew you loved me. :P
giphy.gif

Pretty much anytime I make friends and they actually remain as friends is an unlikely friendship, to be honest.

Not me but my best friends: One girl came out as a lesbian when she was 12, she got bullied like crazy. Like I mean, every post on facebook had 100's of comments of just the bully's banter. I quickly befriended her (gays stick with gays even tho I didn't know I was one yet lmao) and so did a few other friends.

One of the girls bullying her was really mean, but I was friends with her.

Cut to two years later, they're dating. The lesbian girl managed to get close to her through me, wooed her and basically taught the bully she was actually bisexual. The relationship lasted for 5 years.

It's like one of the roleplay's but in real life lmao.

Outside of Fel and Fluffu, I would say that one of my closest friendships has been with @Vay and Ocha. Thanks for all the years of supporting my confusing RP plots.

• Love
I don't have one in particular but this made me think of one of my favorite things to look up on YouTube... Unlikely Animal Friendships. I can't resist cute animals being friends.

Reactions: Hana
It's not exactly an unlikely friendship but when I first met @darkflames13 I didn't think we'd click so instantly. She was a moderator in this forum we were at. We have quite a few differences (e.g. she likes cats, I like dogs). Sometimes I joke around that we're practically polar opposites, but we have pretty much the same opinions when it comes to things that matter. Now five years later, we're still tight as fuck despite (or because of) everything that has happened. There was a time (two years?) when we completely ceased contact with each other due to college and real life shit, but in my third year of college we instantly reconnected like no time has passed at all. And that, I think, is a pretty precious thing.

And then there's @SangriaSmeltery, who is my friend IRL. He happens to be one of the first people I met in college. We were both early for this class but didn't actually start talking to each other until a couple more people trickled in and conversation was initiated. I remember being rather intimidated by this guy because man, dude's got a pretty sick radio voice. We talked quite a bit during the first few weeks of college but never really reached the level of closeness that we have now until he sat behind me and another friend of mine during one of our classes. Then... we just started cracking innuendos for some reason. Innuendos basically formed the foundation of our friendship, lmao. Now four years later and we're still tight despite living far apart. I never thought I'd have such a close friendship with this guy, but I'm very thankful for it. :D

One of my current best friends and I used to argue nonstop and hated each other.

When we finally had a one on one discussion, we noticed we're exactly alike.

• Love
My former best friend and I. She was wild, promiscuous, and didn't care if she got in trouble as long as she had fun. I'm reserved, quiet, and extremely cautious. You could not find two different people in the world and it still surprises me that we managed to stay friends for over thirteen years. Everyone always assumed we had a leader/follower sort of friendship because she was always dragging me out to do stupid things with her. No one realized I was there to make sure nothing happened to her, not because I wanted in on whatever she was doing. I eventually ended the friendship because I had actual goals in my life, and she was stuck wanting to live her life as a teenager with no responsibilities.

• Love
I had the same classmate for over a decade. Elementary school to high school. We didn't start talking to each other until our third year of junior high, when we started to have mutual friends, and he started dating one of my best friends. Before that we just widely chose to ignore each other, thinking that we wouldn't get along. It was then that we realised that we are actually both huge derps that pranked each other constantly. He was tall, I was short, so in came all of the weather jokes. I also got into the habit of patting heads because of him, made me feel tall. 8^) We also liked to text each other at the worst timing ever, e.g: when we knew the other was asleep or something similar that would get the other in trouble. Of course attached to it would be the message that 'short people should sleep more to grow' or that he was an 'overgrown beansteak anyway'. It is funny how well we got along despite thinking both otherwise at first, but it was a precious friendship.

Unfortunally I moved away, college happened, and I'm incapable of maintaining contacts apparently. We still talk, occassionally, but we don't banter around like we used to.

Another friendship I never expected to happen are some (most?) of the friendships I made online. I never went in with the intention to become friends when I joined a particular role play five years ago. (Shout out to @Wicked & @Princess Misaou)

I thought that the role play would be another one that would die out in a few months. Yet, I signed up for something that would remain with me for about another four years. Four years to get to know the precious people in there and grow closer to them. It was an emotional rollercoaster at times, sometimes scaring me a little as I didn't want to get too involved. This failed, but I think I'm happy with this failure!

In the end I'm just really happy with what remained of the role play, despite it eventually dying out. It taught me that online friendships can be as valuable as offline friendships, maybe even more so, and made me more open to the idea of having them.

Status
Not open for further replies.