Unable to Motivate Myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chainedfiction

Original poster
A huge realization came to me today whilst doing a research paper. A first generation student has many barriers. I have many barriers. My Dad is unsupportive, I feel like he is. I have a huge lack of self-esteem, I'm not confident, and I'm facing all these challenges. I have a D in my college composition class because I didn't turn in one small homework but I got good grades on my other assignments. I have an F in (high school) chemistry that I'm trying to raise.

I don't feel motivated enough to carry on. I'm told to not worry about my grades, I'm told to not worry about my GPA. That article I read about barriers for first generation students, it fit me. It was me. That's what I'm going through. It felt like the weight of the world was on my shoulders again. I'm unsatisfied with my work, with myself, and I don't feel motivated to continue if I can't give it my all. My dad said he has a great job but it's definitely NOT the job he wants to do or imagined.

What does your job have to do with my lack of motivation? You went to college after you signed up for the army. Only then did you decide to get an associate's degree. You have no idea what I'm going through.

With the combination of demanding subjects one may lack interest in, teachers who feel the need to act superior to students, and student bodies being generally judgmental and hateful? High School can become a stressful and uninspiring environment for anyone. It can be a tough road, but remember that it does have an end to it. And that once you graduate there are other ways you can improve your credentials and grades for stuff like College. It's not a matter of "Do well in High School or pay for your entire life".

I'm sorry you're having to deal with the issues and the pressures that you are dealing with. It's not fun, I know; I'm first generation myself.

All I can tell you is, the motivation you find is in yourself. Whatever it is, whatever it may become, is whatever you make it to be. Do you want a job you can enjoy? Do you want to work hard early, and play hard late in life? Or do you want to explore life early and get rich later?

What is it that you want?
Answer that question honestly, and I bet you'll begin to start finding the motivation you're looking for.

When you want something bad enough, you find out how to get it. You do what you need to do to get it. You want a PS4? It's $400. You figure out how to save up for it. You budget your next 3 paycheques, you only eat ramen for two weeks; whatever you do, whatever you sacrifice, you get your damn PS4. It's the same with life.

Status
Not open for further replies.