Two Sentence Challenge #10

K

Kitti

It is said that brevity is the soul of wit. There is, without a doubt, a time and place for long paragraphs filled with wondrous descriptions. Other times, however, less is more. What can you create from the prompt using only two sentences?

Kaptzx.jpg

This time, the theme is:

Hope

There was a sad-eyed doll's head floating in the dog's water bowl; strawberry jam and milk smeared all over the kitchen table like a failed work of art; scissors painfully discovered on the recliner seat; pages torn out of the new issue of Vogue as if attacked by some alien hand; the television left blaring in an empty room; and the cat in the corner frantically grooming itself in a fruitless attempt to offset the daring new haircut it had just received....

Mona, babysitter extraordinaire, growled out the name of the fearsome creature that had sowed the whirlwind: "HOPE!!!"

Sticks and stones broke her bones, and words certainly hurt her as well, enough that darkness seemed to surround her no matter where.

Except when she looked within herself; they could never snatch away the thought of hope from her, oh no, she would never let that flicker of light disappear from her heart.

"Well," Dalia softly spoke, her voice winded and crumbling as the words blew into the cool night air, "Is it ever going to stop?"

"Dalia, I know it's going to stop," Hannah started with a laugh, warm breath in contrast to the bitter cold of the season, a flame flickering back to life, "because it's going to; I'm going to be ok and so will you."

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Greenie and Kitti
She knew from the moment that innocent life came to be placed in her arms, she would name her Hope.

She would protect her child from the dangers of the world and the misery of the past because that was what she vowed to do.

• Love
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie and Kitti
His words were flung like arrows of tempered vitriol or a linguistic dagger directed toward the heart.

The next thought enveloped me, shielded me: there was a time before your words, and there will be a time after your words.

• Love
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: Kitti and Greenie
Her eyes lifted up to see a circle of light above her, as realization of her predicament dawned on her from the damp, dark hole into which she'd fallen.

She felt gloom settle deep inside her at the thought that she would likely die here since she'd been walking alone, but then she heard something and called out in a hopeful, loud voice, "Here! Please help me!"

• Bucket of Rainbows
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: Kitti and Greenie
I always knew the myth that Hope was trapped in a box was the stupidest thing I had ever heard, long before I met the woman. So when Hope, the beautiful woman who inspired many appeared before me, I simply replied with my usual snark, " It took you long enough, I was afraid that the myths were true."

"Hope is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of."

"You're just a little ball of sunshine today, aren't you?"

She held the envelope close to her chest as she closed her eyes and muttered, "Please, please, please, please, please."

With gusto she ripped it open, scanning the letter and screaming out as she read the first words, We at Cornell University would like to inform you that your application has been accepted...