Tolkien: A Discussion (This has SPOILERS for the book and movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thsts becouse you are a doctor. You f.dont see a fight you see Money. :D

Psssh

Not that kind of doctor. Not a surgeon.

Still sour about choosing between violence and threesomes

Part of this is also just plain old fashioned pacing control. No fight scene should last for ages and ages and ages, it loses tension.
I agree. The fight scene with Thorin vs. Azog, completely unnecessary. They are overdone and frankly, I think this newest one was just out of interest. Almost nothing but fight scenes, I can't remember anything else besides fighting.

I enjoyed the LOTR movies. The extended ones to be exact. I missed the Hobbit franchise but I will catch them all on DVD later.

I mean, aside from my serious issues with the film, I like it separated from the book as a story in itself, just not as The Hobbit. To me, the movies aren't The Hobbit but a different view.

I tried re-reading the Hobbit a few years back and I just couldn't get into it. Big part of that is that the dialog doesn't feel natural; Thorin's final words to Bilbo comes across as a formal drafted apology instead of something sincere, for instance.

After I got back from the movie last night (which I enjoyed, for the record), I opened up my copy of the Hobbit to see how long the battle was. It was only 4 pages long, so it's no wonder why it always felt like a vague afterthought to me.

I want to see that giant ass spider that had to be jumped by like fifty balrogs to be put in it's place fight that giant as hell dragon that put a huge butt crack in the middle-earth when he death tackled the ground.

in CGI.

What are we Tolkien about?

Anyways, I've seen every LOTR movie (not read the books, yet) including the Hobbit Trilogy.
The LOTR movies were some of my favorite movies. In fat, I have no trouble calling them THE BEST MOVIES EVER.

The Hobbit Trilogy? Not as good as LOTR. I think splitting The Hobbit into 3 movies was a fundamentally very bad idea. I mean, when you get down to it, they made a three part trilogy for killing a single dragon. The LOTR movies do more epic things in a single hour.

HOWEVER, The Hobbit did not suck. It was really quite good. And at least the filler played to a strength of the LOTR movies: Cinematography. I will say that I did enjoy watching dwarves float down a river in a barrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.