Tiny Dancer [EverlyxSterling]

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Crack!

Crack!

Crack!

Crack!

It was like some sort of beat of a twisted song. Natalia watched, unable to tear her eyes away from the sight that was her beloved, putting every ounce of energy that he had into his swing. She was surprised that the bat had not bent under the ferocity of his hits yet. Damien was concentrating very hard, but.. his movements seemed almost automatic. Was he even thinking about what he was doing, or was he elsewhere, as he had been earlier? She frowned at the thought, glancing to the side and watching Frank for a moment as he calmed down the irate cops. At least Damien wasn't going to get arrested. She sighed and went back to watching her angry darling, watching him for an hour as everybody else gradually left.

At some point, Frank had handed her a beer, which she drank without really looking at. She only had eyes for Damien at that moment. When the sounds of cracking balls changed to a loud thunking, she blinked and glanced at the machine. Empty. Maybe now he was calm... or, not. She winced as he began beating the wall instead. This was not healthy. He needed to see somebody, and he needed it now, before he destroyed his friend's arena. Oddly enough, Frank seemed mostly unfazed. How often had Damien lost it in here? It wasn't long before the bat finally snapped and was discarded like a broken toy.

"Thank you," she murmured absently to Frank, finally noticing the second beer that he had handed to her. She took it and left the room, going out to where Damien had decided to sit. The sight of his hands was awful, but it was his expression that tore her apart. Those devastated eyes, that frown. She gently set the beer down a few feet away from him and moved closer, straddling his lap. If he was going to hit her, so be it. She curled her arms around him and hugged him gently against her chest, humming softly and running her hands along his back in a soothing manner.

"I love you, Damien."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lily sat in the chair, her fingers slowly running over the fake wood that made up the arms of it. It was smooth and cold. Not exactly comforting. She was trying to understand what exactly was being said to her. The doctor was using terms that she simply did not understand, but she got the gist of it. Cerebral contusion.. trauma.. cortical.. cortex.. occipital.. She just nodded silently as he went on, explaining all of the reasoning and science behind it as though she would know and agree. Once he was finished, he settled in to complete paperwork and his silent student shadow assisted Lily to the door.

The boy didn't say anything as they went back down the hallway, Lily's free hand trailing along the railing that ran along the walls. She wondered what Jackson looked like. Did it matter? Not really. She frowned slightly as they paused by the nurses' station. Apparently the nurse there was rather anxious to check in on Lily's whereabouts. That was odd. Once she was sated, Lily was led back to her room and settled in to her bed.

"Does this mean I'm being discharged?" she asked the student before he left.

"U-Um.. I don't know. I'll ask," he offered uncertainly. She nodded once and let him go.

Meanwhile, the nurse was calling up Jackson. She had no desire to be interrogated again, and the student had informed her that Miss Corrigan expressed a desire to leave. That was a concern, right..? She called him anyway, telling him that Lily was back and asking about being discharged.

Damien began to silently weep. No one who stood near would have been able to notice, but Natalia could feel Damien's chest heave and jerk. His head leaned forward and gently rested on Natalia's. Damien wanted to clasp his hands around Natalia's waist, hold her tightly and affirm their connection. He couldn't bring himself to do it, he refused to pollute Natalia with the blood that dripped from his guilty hands. Instead, Damien twisted his hands, so that the backside of his fingers grazed Natalia's lips and cheeks. The liquid that fell between them landed on Natalia's shirt, as well as Damien's.

And then, Natalia spoke those sweet words, and meant every one of them. Damien leaned up, bringing her face down with the backs of his hands upon her cheeks, and gently kissed her with a deep love. Damien felt the need to speak and account for himself, and his appalling display of naked aggression. Natalia was here, atop of him, and curiously unconcerned with being hurt or placing herself in danger. She isn't threatened by me. Damien closed his eyes and released a breath of relief mixed with shame.

"Baby, I ...," he began. Damien knew diplomacy was unnecessary for Natalia, what mattered were actions that demonstrated the trust gifted between them. "Please believe me, ... I'd never hurt you. I know I need help, and I should see a Counselor. I didn't think I'd ever agree to talk with someone about ... my experiences. But, I want to ... I need to, so I can give you the best of me. You deserve it, Sweetheart."

Tears filled his eyes as he closed his eyes and kissed Natalia's lips once more.

Jackson had marched hard around the perimeter of his route. He was eager to return to intensive care and be in the vicinity of Lily's room, in case he received word about her whereabouts. The call from the nurses station came minutes later. Thank The Lord, he thought. Jackson's pace was closer to a jog then, and the myriad tool of his trade - flashlight, holstered pistol, keys - all jangled loudly with each lumbering step he took.

Jackson slowed and caught his breath before rounding the corner. The nurse's station was before him, and the head nurse, the one he spoke with previously, preemptively concluded her phone call when Jackson reached her.

"Yes ... Ms. Corrigan returned a short while ago from her eye exam with Dr. Ma-" The nurse stopped herself. "Of course, you understand I cannot divulge person information about Ms. Corrigan's condition."

Jackson didn't appear as understanding as the nurse had hoped. "Is she in her room?"

"Yes. She's asked to be discharged."

Jackson leveled a glare, both ambiguous and ominous; it was a look that induced the nurse to answer the obvious question.

"She hasn't been discharged. She can't be until she's seen by the second doctor and the police detective."

"Detective?" Jackson asked. That was unusual. Typically, a beat officer would arrive and file a report, not unlike an accident report, which Lily's chart actually contained. Detectives were a different animal altogether, and surveyed higher level crimes in the scope of more pervasive law breaking. "Any word from her parents?"

"No, not that I'm aware of," the nurse answered.

Jackson nodded and walked to Lily's room. Between the police detective and the likely return of her parents, Lily's day was going to get progressively worse. He thought it might help if he let in a little sunshine before the coming storm. He knocked twice and entered.

"Knock, knock ... How's the little patient doing?"

Last edited:
Natalia was completely unconcerned with Damien lashing out at her. It was not until he assured her that he wouldn't that she realized that had actually been a very real possibility. He had just broken a bat after going batshit crazy on a cop and beating the hell out of more baseballs than she had bothered to count. Yet, instead of fearing his reaction, she had only thought that he really needed her. Frank had told her to go to him, and so she did. It was that simple. She trusted him entirely and would always be there when he was failing. He was her rock and she was his. She smiled at the thought and gave him several loving kisses before pulling away.

"I think that getting somebody to talk to is a fantastic idea," she murmured, kissing his cheek softly before laying her head on his shoulder and keeping both arms snug around him. She never wanted to let him go, ever. For a while she didn't. They simply sat there for several minutes, but then she recalled where they were. On the floor in a batting arena, with nobody around except for Frank. Damien had come here to blow off some steam, yes, but also to speak to his friend. Or so she assumed. She looked up at him curiously.

"Are you ready to go talk to Frank now?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Not good."

Lily was sitting on her bed, her legs curled up in front of her as she rested her forehead on her knees. Both of her arms were curled around her shins, giving her the appearance of a sitting ball. She didn't budge until she heard Jackson's footsteps come closer to her bed. There was no delaying the inevitable. She knew that he was going to ask, and she knew that avoiding the topic wasn't going to help anybody.

"The doctor said I'm never going to see again," she murmured softly, slowly sitting up and sliding her legs down. There were tear streaks on her cheeks and her expression was completely heartbroken. Sure, she had known it was a possibility, but to hear it said directly to her from a professional like that was a different matter entirely. She didn't know what to do. How would she live this way? If she didn't go home, how would she survive on her own? She had to go home, had to go back to her parents. It was the only way.

"Jackson.. I-I have to go home."

Damien nodded, clearing his eyes with an annoyed rub. He hated not being in control of himself like this. That perhaps explained why soldiers often have difficulty opening up to others. Failing to control oneself in the thick of combat placed, not only yourself, but, everyone who was relying upon you in danger. It was an absolute instinct that was very hard to shake off when returning to a civilian existence. If anyone could be trusted in his vulnerable state, it was Franklin Thompson.

"Let's talk to him for a few minutes, then we can head to the airport," Damien said. He lifted himself slowly, wincing from the sharp pain of his skin-stripped palms and the soreness overtaking his muscles. "He probably has something for these," Damien said, gazing into his red hands and walking listlessly back to Frank's office.

.................................................................​

Jackson gulped, staring fearfully at Lily sitting upon her hospital bed. He wasn't frightened for his own sake, but for Lily's. Being blind was an enormous challenge, one in a world that often didn't accommodate to disabilities. How would she live? How would she eat? Would she work and sustain herself? Then, the damning reality crashed into his mind when Lily declared she needed to go home. Home? The phrase echoed in Jackson's mind over, and repeatedly, until something snapped.

"Lily ..."

Jackson stopped himself. He closed the space between them in three long strides and freely embraced her. His immense arms pressed her against his chest, and the hard flatness of Jackson's ballistic vest took the young woman in. He knelt down, and held her hands tenderly.

"Lily," he began gently. "I want to help you. Please ... Starting right now, the life you knew is over. You're starting life fresh. You have choices, and though none of them seem great right now, not taking care of yourself will lead to real misery.

"First off, you need a second opinion. Remember, this place ... these same doctors, recommended pulling your plug when you first arrived. It might not be wise to trust the first thing they tell you.

"Second ... where are you going to go? Home? Lily, the house where your parents live can't be a home to you ... not any more. I know your father hits you, and can't imagine what your has done. If their abuse is triggered by any type of frustration, having a blind daughter will only increase their rage. They'll put you back in here next week. You need to get away from them ... somehow."

Natalia nodded and stood, stepping back and grasping his arm to help him up as well. She walked with him toward the office, trying not to stare at Damien's bloody hands. Hopefully he was right and Frank could bandage him up. This was going to make for a very interesting trip through Customs. Wait, Customs. She blinked as she realized a few things. One, her passport was long expired and her Student Visa was no longer valid. Two, she didn't know if Damien had a passport at all. And three, she still had to call the lawyer to make sure there were two tickets available to get Damien there.

That was probably something she should have taken care of sooner. Damn it.

"You go ahead. I have to call that lawyer and just make sure everything is all settled so we don't run into any problems. I'll come right in as soon as I'm done," she assured Damien, opening the office door for him so that he wouldn't have to touch the handle. Once she was sure he was safely inside and in Frank's care, she pulled out her phone and meandered back past the batting cages. She settled the phone against her ear and listened to it ring as she gazed at the ball machines. Hopefully this call would go well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lily was surprised by how suddenly Jackson made it to her side, but she made no complaints as he held her. Oh, it felt so good to be back into his arms again! She curled her own arms around him, trying to discretely rub the tears from her cheeks that evidenced her crying over the situation. As he pulled away to kneel, she curled her fingers around his hands tightly to assure herself that he wasn't going anywhere. Not yet. She listened to Jackson as he explained that she could get a second opinion,then that she couldn't go home.

"My father doesn't hit me," she began, relieved that she didn't have to worry about meeting his gaze as she lied to him. The lie felt uncomfortable and she didn't like not telling Jackson anything that was not true, but at the same time.. what choice did she have? She frowned and shook her head a little.

"I have nowhere else to go. Even if I stayed at that hotel for a week like you said, I can't stay there forever. I can't work anymore doing what I was before, not without help. That means I don't have any money either. I don't have relatives.. Natalia is my friend but she's going to Russia so I can't stay with her.." she continued, fresh tears welling in her eyes.

"I don't want to be alone.."

Damien shuffled into Frank's office, embarrassment glazed atop remorse and regret. If Damien wore a hat, it would be in his skinless hands as he poked his head past the office doorway. Frank hobbled slowly about the room in a tired motion. The look on his face betrayed the pain his leg was causing him this evening. Frank ran his hand over counters and chair backs on his way to a far closet. He opened the closet and pulled out a bucket, trowel, and a half-used bag of hydraulic cement.

"Sorry, Frank."

Frank slowed for a moment, then continued collecting the masonry repair materials. "It's alright ... It's just a wall."

"About that cop, too ... What was his name? Tom?"

"Tom Mazzinelli. CAPTAIN Tom Mazinelli." Frank's voice came low and weary. "You sure can pick 'em. You're lucky the whole division didn't come crashing down around you."

Damien kept his eyes low.

"The pretty lady of your wouldn't be too happy with you in the hospital or in a grave."

Damien turned his head and watched Natalia speaking on her phone. Her blond hair cascaded around her face, and curled about her hand holding the phone by her ear. She was strong, incredibly strong, but also vulnerable. Natalia needed Damien in one piece, not in several, and not incarcerated.

"I read your letter." Frank stated his declaration to stymy whatever unhappiness he felt at the moment, wanting break the awkward silence. "What are you gonna do, Lieutenant?"

"I don't know, Frank." Damien began to reach for the open Budweiser.

"That's Natalia's ... You can get a fresh one from the fridge."

Damien stood a bit taller at Frank's tone. He was disappointed with Damien. Damien's heart raced erratically in his chest, he was accustomed to Franks being a safe haven, a place he was accepted completely. Apparently, Damien had crossed a line.

"I'm ... I'm not thirsty. Look, Frank, I'm really sorry about the wall-"

"It's not about the goddamn wall! It's about you losing control. That doesn't help anyone, especially Natalia."

Damien's confidence quelled at the angry words from his friend. His eyes fell upon the letters lying outside their envelope. "I thought you'd understand."

"I DO understand ... More than anyone you know. But having a problem doesn't mean you get to flip out and act like a selfish fucking asshole to total strangers."

"I had a flashback," Damien confessed.

"Really?" Frank's reply was more sarcastic than compassionate. "And how did you deal with it? Do you know your triggers and coping strategies? I chew minty gum to bring me back from the fucking fox holes I always dream myself into. Have you talked to anyone?"

"I know I need to talk to someone."

"Damien, it's too late now." Frank hobbled aggressively past Damien and snagged the letters on the table, holding them up. "You're going back, whether you like it or not. What're you going to say when the ask you if you're combat ready? Huh? You intend on getting back in the cockpit and unloading 30mm rounds near friendly troops while fear's grabbing you by the balls? I'm sorry, Damien, but I wouldn't want to be a friendly on the ground when you're in the air."

Frank's comment was harsh, and brutally honest. Damien's gut clenched like a punch just making perfect contact. Frank sighed heavily, pulling at the cheek of his grizzled face. "Damien, I know this is a tough time with you losing your mother and all. But, we're soldiers. Hard times are our lot in life, that's what separates us from the weak shit-bags that walk the streets worried about their inflated pay checks and not-quite premium cars. Soldiers struggle ... forever ... in some capacity. It's why we're made the way we are. I've got a lot of patience, but, I'm not gonna watch you destroy yourself."

Frank read the letters once more, controlling the rate of his breathing. "You need to go with the diplomacy corp, you've got someone else to think about now. Don't put yourself in the line of fire again. You've done that enough for three lifetimes."

"Alright," Damien replied. Frank nodded and handed Damien the last Budweiser from his mini-fridge. "You need to find a psych officer while stationed wherever you going. That'll help you somewhat."

The beer was historically thin and bland, but tasted wonderful once more upon his tongue. The men sat in their comfortable silence until Natalia returned.

.......................................................................​

"You can stay with me."

The words left Jackson's mouth before he knew what he was saying. Jackson couldn't tell if he was more shocked by his offer, or how effortlessly it flowed from somewhere deep within himself. But, once Jackson realized what he had done, he found himself more at ease. In fact, a calmness pervaded Jackson, washing clean years of stress and abject loneliness. A voice spoke to him, reassuringly, that he made his offer not to escape his isolated life, but to provide respite and an oasis for this young woman who stirred the protective waters of his soul.

Jackson intently observed Lily's expression, wondering if she would be aghast at his offer. Jackson remained a stranger to Lily, and beyond the inappropriate nature of what he offered, it would be foolish for Lily to accept - not just foolish, but dangerous. Were Jackson a man of dubious morals and ill intentions, Lily would be trapped in a life of sexual enslavement and deprivation.

But, Jackson was a good man. He knew it, and he felt that Lily, at least, sensed the goodness in Jackson's soul. Would it have been wise for Lily to accept? Probably not. However, taking a chance on someone with the best of intentions trumped returning to a life of smacking and psychological abuse.

"If ... you want."

Last edited:
"Yes, that's right, two tickets.. Two. Tah-oo. More than one. Do I need to climb through this fucking phone and strangle you?"

Needless to say, the phone call was not going very well. Natalia was pacing back and forth in an agitated manner, scowling as she waited for the lawyer on the other end of the line to figure his shit out. At first, he had seemed like a very professional man, but now he seemed frazzled. It was apparent that he was desperate for Natalia to show up, but she was refusing to do so without the second ticket. She could almost hear him flailing around.

"Oh, good. Are they next to each other? ... Yes that is a requirement!"

She sighed and rubbed her temples, glancing back toward the window that displayed the office. From her position, she could see Damien's back as he cracked open a beer. Hopefully that meant he was all bandaged up and feeling better. She smiled a bit, thinking about how nice it would be to snuggle with him later, but then the lawyer's crabby voice interrupted her daydream and she was scowling again.

"What do you mean I need a passport to come home?!"

Several minutes later, she finally ended the call. Everything was sorted out. Apparently she could go back to Russia without a passport or proof of a visa.. but it was going to put her on a list of people who could not come back to the states without a whole lot of paperwork and annoyance. Whatever. She would do everything she had to. Lily was expecting her to come back, and she was leaving behind most of her belongings in the apartment. It wasn't as though she was going to stay in Russia forever, right?

She slid the phone into her pocket and walked into the office, going right over to Damien to hug him tight. Ah, perfection.

"You have a passport, right?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'You can stay with me.'

Lily blinked a few times, having a feeling her eyes were wide and staring at nothingness. Stay with Jackson? Permanently? That was.. not something she had considered at all. He barely knew her outside of her first name and how she was now blind forever. Not really much to go off. Wasn't he worried about what could happen? He had probably heard what Natalia was saying about drugs. It wasn't as though her friend had been trying to hide the truth. Jackson had no idea whether Lily was some sort of addict or something.

She frowned thoughtfully, trying to decide if it was a good decision. But.. no. It wasn't. If her parents found out where she was.. She feared what would happen. It would not be her fault if Jackson died or his house was burned down. She refused to be responsible for that. Sighing, she slowly shook her head.

"I.. I don't know.. Can I have time to think about it?" she finally asked, reluctant to say 'no' outright. As much as she wanted to stay with Jackson, she just couldn't. Surely he would understand that.. maybe..

Damien had just finished wrapping his second hand with gauze when Natalia returned to the office. Frank affixed the light bandage with strong tape, and hobbled back to return the medical kit to the closet. Natalia's embrace was precisely what the warrior needed, and Damien was relieved to finally be able to place his hand - albeit bandaged - around Natalia's lithe frame. Damien's face mingled into Natalia's silky hair, and he basked in a texture that could only belong to the woman he loved. Damien's lips found Natalia's cheek, and he kissed her tenderly. The feeling of Natalia's devotion and corporeal presence struck Damien with an immensely deep satisfaction. He was happy to brave the unknown world of Russia for Natalia. He just wanted to be with her. Period.

After returning the medical kit to its home, Frank closed the cabinet door with a low bang. "You two are fricking adorable ... you know that?"

Damien chuckled at Frank's observation, then faced Natalia. "Of course, I have a passport. It's tucked away in my bag ... It's good for another two years." Damien took a seat in a worn, fiberglass chair and guided Natalia onto his lap. "We can head to the airport whenever you want. I was thinking how you need to teach me some basic Russian on the flight ... so I'm not completely useless while I'm with you." He smiled, glad to have Natalia so close. Then, a new emotion clouded Damien's visage. "Natalia, you mind if I ask about what's going on? You've told me bits and pieces about your father's estate ... who are these lawyers? Do you have the name of their firm? I ask, because something just seems out of place to me ... it's all so irregular. Do you even know if the folks you are calling are really lawyers?"

................................................................................​

"Yeah, sure you can ..." Jackson's reply was nervous. He honestly didn't know how Lily would respond to his offer, and should not have been surprised when she voiced her resignation. Jackson found himself flustered, like having been caught out on a limb leading to some illicit treasure. He became nervous, aware he needed to return to his duties patrolling the floor. Why had he exposed himself like that? It was just stupid of me. Jackson nodded, forgetting Lily couldn't see his silent gesture, and took a step back toward the door.

"It could be for however long you needed ... until you got established somewhere else, if you wanted. Or, until your friend Natalia came back. It was just a ... though." Jackson was nearly at the door, and turned once again. "I need to return to patrolling the floor ... which is my new assignment. I can stop back here, if you like ... if you need anything. Just let me know." He listened to Lily's response, but it didn't truly register. His mind was already in the hallway, walking that damned circuit of sterile, tiled passages. It was a labyrinth of insanity, and he knew it would only force him deeper into himself.

Last edited:
Natalia grinned at Frank, both of her arms snug around Damien as she kept her head snug on his chest. When he moved, she was close behind, sitting in his lap and laying her head on his shoulder with a yawn. Why had they gotten up this early again? Because Damien enjoyed getting up before noon. Freak. She rubbed her face and shrugged a little at Damien's questions, not understanding why he was asking.

"Of course he's a lawyer. Why else would he call? It's not like my number is just written down everywhere," she pointed out. "I'm not sure why they're calling so long after my dad died, but Russians are fucked up, so whatever. You should know that by now."

She smiled and placed a few kisses along his neck, more than content to stay where she was. There were a couple of hours until the plane took off. Sure, it would be smart to get there early to go through the whole process and grab food, but that required moving out of Damien's lap. And effort. Two things she really did not like. So, she simply stayed where she was, nearly falling asleep in his arms now that she could relax and he wasn't trying to kill anybody.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"... Okay..."

Lily's response was hesitant and soft. Just listening to Jackson, she could tell he was walking away. She frowned sadly, hearing the faint whoosh of her door opening and closing behind him. Well. That went well. The way that he had reacted pained her. It was obvious that he had been looking for some other response. She wished that she could give him what he wanted. He was a nice guy who had given her a lot - he even slept by her side to comfort her. That was why she didn't want to live with him. He would not be safe. That would be his repayment for his kindness - being beaten until bloody, or worse.

She felt tears in her eyes and she curled up on her side, pressing the nurse call button. Once a woman showed up, she simply asked for the lights to be shut off and to keep visitors out, claiming she was going to sleep. The nurse seemed confused but obeyed, soon leaving Lily alone in the quiet room with a Do Not Disturb sign on the door. She could still hear people walking by in the hallway, but it was muffled. So she ignored it, clasping her hands over her ears to help as she tried not to think about her parents or Jackson or anything at all.

"Natalia, that's precisely my point."

Damien's tone was both firm and yieldingly curious. He couldn't quite place his finger on the reason why, but something about lawyers calling in reference to Natalia's father's estate sounded off. Why would anyone care after all these years? Why must Natalia travel to Russia immediately? Certainly, atypical problem can emerge and prevail, but there's usually a base normalcy that underlies such unusual circumstances. Damien wasn't sensing that with this situation, and the lack of die-hard information only deeper the mystery.

"I'll go wherever you go, to the ends of the earth. But, this lawyer business just strikes me as bogus. Do you know the name of the lawyer's firm? If you can find their website, I'll shut my trap and not say another word."

Damien clamped his mouth theatrically as Frank hobbled over to his old computer, turning it on and firing up the internet connection.

.............................................................​

Jackson made his circuit in a near-shuffling gait, staring at the quarter-tiled flooring with a dejected gaze. In truth, he felt like a worthless piece of shit. Jackson took Lily's refusal too much to heart, and had left with an abruptness that was irrefutable, even to someone who was blind.

It was almost lunchtime, but Jackson didn't feel hungry. He didn't feel much of anything, unless one counted the dull, gnawing sensation that chewed his gut. Regret was the emotion Jackson was feeling, but couldn't quite determine. He passed a vending machine, and looked at the myriad options arranged in rows. The numbers in front of each selection fought amongst themselves in his mind. Candy wasn't a treat Jackson typically indulged in, but he thought, perhaps, Lily might enjoy a spot of chocolate to offset the drudgery of hospital food. The coins clinked in his hand as he fished them from his pocket and plunked them into the machine for a Snickers bar.

The crinkle of the unopened wrapper was the only sound when Jackson reached Lily's door, which had a placard that read, in very clear letters, "DO NOT DISTURB". Jackson's stomach clenched as he took a seat outside Lily's door. He held onto the Snickers bar in silence, thinking about what he had done, and what he needed to do.

"You're more paranoid than a crack whore."

That probably sounded rather funny coming from her of all people, but Natalia was not thrilled to be told to go do things when she was tired. Didn't Damien realize that she was actually quite lazy before noon? She yawned and gave him a grumpy expression, then sighed and slid out of his lap as she wandered over to the computer. If it shut him up, then fine. She waited until Frank had it up and ready, then typed in the name that the lawyer had given her. No results. Tilting her head slightly, she tried again, assuming she had made a spelling error. Still nothing.

"Some parts of Russia don't have internet," she finally said, half shrugging and glancing back at Damien. "Just because there isn't a site doesn't mean anything. What do you think this guy is, Bratva?" she asked jokingly, giving him a teasing grin.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was not much for Lily to focus on. She could not look around the room to distract herself. There was no radio to listen to, and she didn't know where the remote was for the television. She kept both hands over her ears, trying to relax enough to sleep, but it took a long time. It was just as the lunch carts were beginning to appear on the patient floors that she finally drifted off.

"But Mama!"

"Don't argue with me, Lily. I don't want to have to bruise that pretty little face of yours again, you know Daddy likes it better when you look clean."

"Please, Mama! It hurts!"

"Lily! We have been over this! You know you're gonna be married someday and there are things that wives gotta do! And...?"

"... And practice makes perfect.."

"Good girl."

Lily's heart rate monitor was starting to spike. Trapped in her nightmares, she had no idea that she was starting to have a severe seizure. The alarm bells in the nurses' station started going off and a few rushed to her room, not even realizing that Jackson was sitting right there.

Damien laughed with a nervous grin. He was being paranoid, and he had no clue why he sensed danger was in store. Damien rose from the fiberglass chair and walked to Natalia, gently placing his bandaged hand upon her back. "I guess I'm ... just a little over-protective ... over you." It was a statement of sincere honesty. Damien could not fathom letting any harm coming to his love, and grappled with the ever-present dichotomy of safety versus control. Damien never wanted to become an oppressive burden to Natalia, or issue restrictive edicts over he comings and goings. He simply wanted to ensure that Natalia had taken basic precautions in preventing a disaster overseas - Damien knew more than anyone the dire terror of being stranded on foreign soil.

Frank watched the conversation with amusement from his chair, where he sat observing the drama unfold like a crippled regent. Frank shrugged his shoulders when Damien glanced his way. Damien nodded, more to himself, as he watched Natalia navigate the various Russian websites. The old monitor was plastered with Cyrillic letters and paragraphs, only reinforcing Damien's sense of helplessness. He needed to trust Natalia, especially if they were to embed themselves in a country foreign to Damien experience. A more potent demonstration of loving trust could not exist, he thought.

Damien leaned down and kissed the top of Natalia's head. "I trust you, Sweetheart. Should we get going to the airport?"

............................................................................................
The blaring alarm woke Jackson from his mental self-flagellation. Nurses in white short coats sprinted past him into the room, and the Do Not Disturb sign fell, discarded, onto the stark, tiled floor. Concerned, medical chatter emanated from the room, and over again the women called out, "LILY ... LILY!" Jackson shot up and his bulky frame filled the doorway. His visage twisted into abject horror at the sight of Lily's eyes rolled back and her body convulsing in torturous spasms. The team of nurses did their best to control Lily's uncontrolled migration toward the edge of the bed and onto the hard floor. One of the nurses noticed Jackson standing dumb-founded and staring at Lily's grotesque writhing.

"Sir ... SIR! You need to leave! Please ..." She quickly rushed to Jackson and turned his body out the door. The hallway greeted Jackson's face with an unwelcome coldness, and he struggled to regain momentum and re-enter the room. The nurse continued her insistence, for both Jackson and Lily's sakes. "Sir, please remain here. Please keep all non-medical personnel out of this room!" Her conversation disengaged as two men rounded the corner and ran with vials and syringes. "Did you get the 20 cc's Dilantin?!" the nurse asked the men as she closed the door behind their entrance into to the energetic room.

Jackson stood still facing the door, straining to hear the muffled activity behind the wooden barrier. He looked down at his hand, his heart racing fiercely. He laid the candy bar, constricted beyond recognition and consumption, onto the chair. He walked to the window and saw the bright sunlight streaming in. The faint heat felt warm upon his face. He closed his eyes and did something he hadn't done in years.

He prayed.​

Last edited:
"Yes, we probably should. I don't know how long Customs is going to take once they realize I don't have a valid passport or a visa.." Natalia mused, then she shrugged as though it didn't really matter and gave Damien a hug. She stretched up and kissed his cheek, then turned to Frank with a smile.

"Thank you for making sure that Damien didn't get shot tonight. You're pretty awesome. I'll bring you back a case of liquor," she offered with a slight laugh. She glanced at the clock, then kissed Damien's cheek again and left the office to go collect their things. He would likely want a moment alone to say goodbye to his friend, she assumed. Frank seemed like a very important person in his life, and she wasn't sure when they would be back here.

Hopefully not too long.

She got out the bags from where Damien had stashed them, then pulled out her phone. Now would be a better time to make a call than while in a busy airport. She dialed the hospital, then keyed in Lily's extension. Hopefully her eyes were fixed so that she could see the phone. If not, perhaps she could hear it to answer. She waited through several rings, but then the phone disconnected without any greeting. Frowning, she hung up and gazed at her phone. Was something wrong..?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The nightmare was getting worse, the intensity of it all making Lily want to scream, but she couldn't. Instead she felt as though she were choking, struggling to catch her breath. Her dreams were going dark and she could hear somebody yelling her name, but it seemed so very far away. She felt as though reaching for that voice was some extreme effort, and she was so tired. The voice was fading, but it was taking on a frantic edge as Lily remained unresponsive to it. She hesitated, then finally reached out to it, feeling as though it took every bit of her strength to grasp it and pull out of the drowning depths.

"We have a pulse!"

"Stabilizing.."

"Lily? Lily, can you hear me?"

"Get that IV started.."

Lily slowly opened her useless eyes, feeling as though she had just been through a major ordeal instead of a nap. Why were there so many people in here? A bunch of nurses, from the sounds of it. So many voices. She didn't hear Jackson, though. He hadn't come back yet. No surprise. She knew that she had upset him. Maybe he went home. She frowned a bit at the thought, still trying to understand why her limbs felt like lead.

"Miss Corrigan, are you feeling alright? Lightheaded? Any aches or pains? I'm sure you're tired after a seizure of that magnitude.. We lost you there for a moment.. The police just called and are on their way to speak with you, if you're up to it.."

"No passp-"

Damien stopped himself, knowing if he continued, his statement would be carried to Natalia's ears in that tone. It was the voice of surprise and brutal logic, packaged in an unmistakable accusation of stupidity. Damien did not want to imply any negativity with his question, though Damien did feel the question was worth asking. Not having a passport meant so many things, and none of them struck Damien as positive. Damien admitted not truly knowing Natalia's immigration status. The hopeful part of his more anxious side pardoned the concern time and time again; after all, she was working and must have legal documentation of some sort. How much legal documents do you need when you're taking your clothes off for money? Damien's stomach began to collapse as he pieced together the endgame of their trip to Russia, assuming the affair wasn't some mob plot.

Damien exhaled with vexation, watching Natalia look concerned herself when someone did not answer her phone call. The urge to interrupt Natalia was winning out, and Damien moved to break her from her phone call when he was stopped. An aluminum cane shot out horizontally and blocked Damien's passage forward. Frank simply shook his head sullenly. Damien wondered what he knew, and returned a perplexed expression. Frank shrugged in his typical fashion, wincing as if in pain. "It's the case of liquor, isn't it?" Damien jested. Frank lowered his gate and sat taller. "Natalia's doing what she needs to do ... give her space." Control, Damien chided to himself. Frank was right, and Damien leaned back upon the high counter, arms folded, until Natalia had concluded her phone call. The burning questions he wanted to ask her seared in the front of his mind, but were cooled when he noticed the change in Natalia facial composition. Damien walked steadily toward her, sensing his love was in need.

"Honey ... what is it?"

........................................................................................................​

The doctor was tight-lipped as he left the room in a rush. Having discharged his duties, he left the the now stabilized Lily to the care of the many nurses still in the room. As Jackson watched the doctor stalk down the hall, his eyes met those of another person walking briskly toward him. It was Eva. She had just arrived for her shift, and looked positively disturbed by the fact something like this happened while she was away. Guilt lined her eyes as he stopped in front of Jackson's lumbering form, but it was Jackson who spoke first.

"Eva ... what's happening to Lily?"

"It was a seizure ... of some sort. I'm not certain, Jackson, I've only just arrived." She bend her head past Jackson to peer into the room, the door slightly ajar. "I'll know more in a few minutes after I jump in there are get briefed."

"Will you tell me?"

Eva pondered for a moment, then nodded quietly. She turned to enter the room, but stopped her momentum before it began. Her eyes caught sight of a Snickers bar on the chair in front of Lily's room. It was deformed, sitting alone in it's mangled state, having obviously been subjected to immense pressure. Eva turned back to Jackson. "We're going to take care of her, alright?"

It was Jackson's turn to nod worriedly. He continued walking the halls of the 8th Floor, but found himself making tighter and tighter circuits.

"I don't know.."

Natalia frowned worriedly at her phone, hesitating. Should she call again? If she waited, there was no telling when she would get another chance. Certainly not in the airport or on the plane, and she honestly wasn't sure what was going to be waiting on the other side of the flight. Now was the only time she could really guarantee a chance to chat with her friend, but something was wrong. There had been no answer, but somebody had stopped the line from ringing more or else it would have gone on endlessly. She sighed and looked up at Damien.

"I tried to call Lily. Something's wrong.."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving was so hard. Why was she exhausted if she had just woken up? Lily didn't understand why everybody seemed so upset. People were talking to her, saying something about a seizure. A nurse mentioned a high-intensity panic attack and was prattling on about starting anxiety medications and perhaps counseling sessions. Lily remained silent, trying to piece everything together. It was harder than it should have been, considering her mind was moving as though sloshing through half-frozen mud.

"I want Jackson," she finally said, not caring that she was interrupting a pair of nurses who were trying to explain things that she didn't understand.

"Miss Corrigan, the police are on their way, it's important that you-" one attempted, but Lily just frowned and shook her head.

"I said, I want Jackson," she repeated, pouting like a child on the verge of tears, which she was.

"Miss Corrigan.." another nurse sighed, sounding quite exasperated at the entire situation. "You have just suffered a seizure and are about to be questioned by the police. Having a guest right now is not the best idea."

Lily went quiet, curling up on her side and tugging her IV out when nobody was paying attention. She tossed the needle off the bed and let the tube just drip on the floor while she ignored them all.

Momentarily shelving his personal worries, Damien ran his hands over Natalia's shoulders. "I'm sure she's fine, Honey. Whatever we do, we should get a move on if we're gonna make that plane flight to Russia."

There were many plausible reasons for Lily's unresponsiveness. Many were innocent and composed the most likely suspects: she was sleeping; she was medicated; her phone was off. However unlikely, there were more sinister possibilities that Damien promised himself he would prevent Natalia dwelling upon at all cost. To learn that something happened to Lily would, without a doubt, send Natalia spiraling downward . That was precisely what she did not need hours before boarding a hermetically-sealed aircraft for a flight halfway across the globe. Natalia would be a torrid mess of guilt and worry; the urge to displace her pain with drugs might prove too potent. Still, the truth was the truth, and Damien knew Natalia would not be placated until she learned what was happening with her friend.

"Well, we can do two things. I can call Jackson ... but, I don't know if he'd know more than us. Or, we can swing by the hospital on the way to the airport. It'd take an hour, tops?"

.........................................................................................................​

Eva watched in silence as the nurses bustled about the room. She thought they clucked amongst themselves in agitated fussiness, not truly perceiving what was happening while penned within the room's confines. The peripheral cannula fell silently when it disengaged from the needle as Lily pulled, then dropped the device from her arm. The clear IV fluid pooled upon the floor, steadily expanding in a languid circle of saline and glucose. Eva looked up, wondering how her colleagues had not noticed Lily's passive defiance. She realized none of their efforts, none of the medicines or comfort would help, so long as Lily remained broken. Her wounds were internal and psychological, and these wounds were beyond the reach of the nurses milling about the room seeking purpose. Eva's thoughts centered upon the man hovering just outside in the hallway.

"Ladies," Eva said loudly, closing her eyes. The other women closed their mouths, bemused, and looked back toward the head nurse. "Lily's health and well-being is our responsibility, and she's clearly stable. The police can wait. Attend to other patients, if you please." The nurses twisted their heads amongst themselves like hens, then, one by one, departed the room quietly without argument.

Jackson heard a voice being raised within Lily's room, and stepped back when three nurses glided out of the room humbly in mild offense.

"Jackson ..." A gentle voice drifted from the doorway, and Jackson turned to find Eva opening the door wide. "She suffered a seizure, a severe one. She's alone and needs you." Jackson was moving past Eva at the news of Lily's seizure. He stepped gingerly around the pool of fluid on the floor and smoothly ran his hand across Lily's back.

"Lily, honey ... It's me."

Natalia sighed. Damien was right. They didn't really have many options at the moment. Time was running out. If they went to the hospital, they would still arrive in time for the flight, but she had a feeling that going through Customs was going to take a while. That could hold them back and they could miss the plane, which would leave them stranded in the airport for an unspecified amount of time. If Damien called Jackson, he might not have any idea. She didn't know how closely he had been watching Lily. Then again, if he was fond of his balls, he was probably paying attention. She had threatened him pretty well.

"Call him, please.. He should know something. I hope nothing is wrong.."

Her mind was already going through the worst-case scenarios. What if Lily was back in a coma? Had she died? Was she transferred to a different floor for more intensive care? Had she needed surgery for something? What if the drug dealer showed up to finish off the job and keep Lily from talking to the police? Natalia was starting to feel extremely sick, her hands absently rubbing along her arms as she got more anxious.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jackson.

Lily immediately turned toward the source of the voice, her hand reaching up to curl around his despite the physical toll it took on her. It used up all of her remaining strength just to roll onto her other side and face him. She reached up shakily with the other arm, waiting for him to lay with her so that she could snuggle up to him. That was all that she wanted to do.

"Jackson.." she murmured, her blind eyes full of fearful tears.

Natalia's stance and hugging of her gut drove a wedge into Damien's inertia. He immediately moved to her side, facing her obliquely, and wrapping his arm around the small of her back. It was the best comforting gesture he could offer with one hand. The other hand fished into his pocket. His worn phone fit snug as Damien lifted it and began to thumb a message to Jackson.

Damien Greyson
Jackson. Damien here. Is everything alright with Lily?

He pondered for a moment, thinking that he should install a precaution in case he did not answer in the near future. Damien and Natalia would be on a plane soon, and then in a foreign country. Both their cell phones would be useless and out of range of towers by a few continents. Email, however, was universal.

Damien Greyson
Jackson. Damien here. Is everything alright with Lily? We're leaving the country for a few weeks. Would you mind texting Frank Thompson at (555) 346-9080? Thx.

"Frank?" Damien said, "Can I ask you to relay information from someone via email?"

"Sure, Lieutenant." Frank began scribbling out the information in his rough hand-writing. "You want me to send it to A10TinyDancer @gmail.com?"

"Yeah, that'd be super, Frank." Damien knew that establishing a viable chain of communication was the best way to ensure the reality surrounding Lily would be revealed. At the very least, the network created a plausibility that would comfort the worried woman at Damien's side. Anything that removed her anxiety was worth the effort. Damien wove his arm between Natalia's bicep and chest to embrace her, breaking the physical emblem of distress by placing himself as something to hold. "We'll get news soon, Sweetheart ... we should go."

................................................................................​

Jackson lifted his leg as he laid himself down. The weight of his massive frame induced creaking protests from the aluminum-framed bed, and part of him wondered if the contraption would ultimately collapse beneath them. Luckily, the bed held them both. Jackson pulled Lily closer to him and felt her hands grab onto his body like a drowning person. He remained there for her, acting as a solid mass of devotion - a surrogate teddy bear upon which Lily could cling and regain her bearings after whatever imagined horror plagued her mind. "It's gonna be alright, Baby ... It's gonna be alright."

Eva stood silent and watched. The display was not something contained in textbooks, and was actually strictly forbidden and semi-inappropriate. However, Eva knew something else was afoot. There was a psychological cancer within this tortured, young woman, and healing her emotions was the key to healing her body. Eva could heal her body, but realized her ineffectiveness in healing wounds that were likely decades old. The slightest smile graced Eva's mouth when she realized that Lily was expressing a truer form of herself and her needs with Eva in the room. Certainly, Jackson's presence was crucial, but Eva wondered if she was creeping into Lily's confidence ... just a little.

The door closed softly behind Eva. The DO NOT DISTRUB sign laid upon the floor from earlier when people rushed in with reckless abandon. Eva quietly picked up the sign, and hung the placard upon the door handle. She picked up the mangled Snickers bar off the chair, and disposed of it. She tilted her head and smiled to herself, then walked to the vending machine to get a fresh one.

Last edited:
As soon as Damien stepped in front of her to hold her, Natalia opened her arms and curled them tight around him. It gave her something solid to hold on to while he texted Jackson. Hopefully the man would know what was going on. Maybe it was nothing, but not knowing was going to drive Natalia absolutely insane. She remained quiet for now, simply listening as Damien asked Frank to be available and to email if he heard anything. That made her relax slightly, but she still didn't know what was happening. She looked up at Damien as he pointed out that they should leave.

He was right.

"Alright," she sighed, releasing her hold on him and picking up her bag. She slid the strap on over her shoulder and turned back to Frank, giving him a bit of a smile and a wave. Once Damien was ready to go, she took his hand and walked with him back out to the sidewalk. It was getting to be a more decent hour in the morning, so there were more people about. Thankfully the sidewalks were still not jampacked just yet.

She flagged down a taxi, setting her bag in the trunk while the driver busied himself with making sure both bags were going to fit. Natalia slid into the backseat and waited for Damien to join her, realizing that she had done this several times in the past few days. She didn't mind, though. Waiting on him was something she was willing to do over and over again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lily could feel the bed shifting and she scooted over just slightly to ensure that Jackson had room. Once he was settled and had an arm around her to tug her closer, she immediately grabbed on to him and held his body tight against hers. At this point, she didn't care if there were any nurses around or if the police were waiting at the nurses' station to question her. They could go screw off. All she wanted was Jackson, because he made her feel better. She had been so worried that he wouldn't come back at all after she semi-rejected his offer, but now he was here. That was all that mattered.

"Please don't leave me again," she mumbled against his chest, hearing the faint click of the door being closed. Footsteps walked away down the hall, soon fading from her range of hearing. Her entire being was concentrating on Jackson, hoping for some sort of affirmative response.

The taxi door opened quickly in the early morning light. The faint scent of exhaust wafted into the passenger cabin along with the brick chill of the early November morning. Damien's hand was still warm from shaking Frank's hand good-bye, thanking him for his help, his patience, and his friendship. Damien offered to repair the damaged wall when he returned, but Frank flat out refused. Part of the reason was to leave the past in the past. A sheepish look broke across the former pilot's face when he recalled what a terrible job he did the last time he destroyed Frank's wall. A masonry repairman Damien was not.

The vision of Natalia waiting int he cab was nothing short of heavenly. She was alone, wanting - no, needing - Damien to sit beside her. It wasn't weakness, but profound desire and attachment. Their love was bound by the strength of the wounds they suffered in their past. Those afflictions, though still present and impactful, seem permanently banished whenever Damien was with Natalia. Those years of past suffering almost predisposed them to unparalleled fidelity and intense devotion. Damien slid into his seat that was his, and always would be. Damien had already instructed the driver to drive to La Guardia with all haste, and pre-paid him. The tip, too. Damien wanted to spend every last second in that cab with Natalia and be bother unless it was absolutely necessary.

Damien's arms were already around Natalia when he leaned back. He thought her gray eyes shined with an earthy desire that was both arousing and deeply satisfying. The cab sped along, and Damien lost track of time in those gray eyes and perfect lips.

..........................................................................................​

Laying on his side was uncomfortable. Jackson was laden with the tools of his trade, and each one dug into his body in their special manner. The flashlight felt like a prodding weight, while his cuffs pinched his skin due to their thinness. None of that mattered. Jackson whorled his massive arm around the tender, young woman and drew her in closer to him. His lips met her forehead without a conscious thought, and soon gentle kisses blanketed Lily's face. Jackson wondered if Lily would suffocate from the strength of his embrace, but she clung none the less needily.

"I won't ... I won't leave you again,: Jackson said, "I promise." It was a bold statement, given his position and responsibilities, yet the younger sibling from Newark, New Jersey meant every word. He intended on staying in that room and upon that bed until Lily told him to vacate. Even then, Jackson would do so reluctantly. He was uncertain why Lily refused his offer to board her in his home, especially given her seemingly nefarious and cruel parents. His heart wanted to protect Lily, and so his heart was not fully surrendered in their moment. There was the police, and the nurses, and her parents who might be walking in the room should he fail to be alerted. Jackson was on-guard, less for himself, but for Lily. Before, he was worried about how she would handle the combined onslaught alone in her crippled condition; now, he was considering how to keep his nose clean when he inserted himself into ever one of these encounters. He promised to not leave Lily's side, and he intended to keep his promise when she needed him most.

Jackson kissed Lily's cheek. "I'm not going anywhere." He reached into his back pocket and removed his phone, which was jabbing him straight in the buttocks. He quietly was about to place the phone on the bed, when he noticed a message icon. It was Damien.

Damien Greyson
Jackson. Damien here. Is everything alright with Lily? We're leaving the country for a few weeks. Would you mind texting Frank Thompson at (555) 346-9080? Thx.

He turned off his phone, and placed it in another pocket. Jackson intended on sharing news of Lily's situation when there was good news. A smile crept onto his face when he felt Lily burrowing into his chest. She might be whole, but she was getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.