Threads of Fire

Sabelle wrapped her arms around him then, partly so she could rest her cheek on his shoulder. She had been happy when he called her his wife, but for the most part what he said made her somber. "You are more then enough my husband, much, much more. We will face challenges now, but we will face them together, and we will find our own place in this world." tilting her head she looked at his face. A sweet and hopeful smile on her face. "Once we have defeated the Red, whatever other challenges we face to make a home for ourselves will seem simple in comparison."

There was no foolish notion that things would be easy. In truth Sabelle had no idea of how they were going to live out their life together, but she knew that until the red dragon no longer hunted them it was not a big concern. For now they could live off but their love for each other, knowing they would have a future, someway, somehow.

"There are many things I do not know about you. I believe I know the important parts, your heart, your kindness, your sense of justice and humor," a quick kiss followed that, "your devotion and wonderment. All this I know, and would know in you even if ten lifetimes separated us. Yet, there is still much I do not know that you will have to teach me, and I will have to rember you are more then you were before. You will forgive me if I slip up?"

Though her words were light and endearing, there was a place deep down that just realized she was married to a dragon. A dragon! Her a simple priestess who had had barely any knowledge of dragon's or their society, who then was persued by one for reasons she still had no understanding of why, was now married to the love of her life, but he was no longer who he was. A dragon! Every word she said was true, but Sabelle had a feeling of the two of them she was the one that was going to need to adjust more.

He nodded, leaning down to brush his lips playfully across hers. He released her hand, moving to play with her hair. She was so beautiful, even after all the running, all the danger. So wonderful. And she was his. His gem, the prize of his hoard. But so much more than that. He smiled before kissing again, deeper, pulling her tight against him. He nipped at her bottom lip playfully before glancing cautiously at the stone. So far, it wasn't reacting to his manhandling of the priestess, but that could change. He leaned down, pressing his lips to her earlobe and whispering.

"You are by far the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. I am honored to have you as my wife." His breath was warm on her ear, and he followed the words with soft kisses. He trailed them along her jawline to her chin then lifted them to her mouth, capturing her lips for a moment. By the time he released the kiss, he was panting softly, his body tense and his hands resting on her waist, holding her to him protectively, possessively.

Looking around, he saw a small alcove and tugged her into it. "I want to be able to just hold you. Just for a moment, for the time we have. I want to be yours, for you to be mine, fully, but if we cannot do such things in the sanctuary, I understand. I simply... I never knew what it felt like to give myself fully, to take you, to have you. I wish to know you. To taste you, to feel you. You need only say the word and I will wait, but know this. I need you in a way I could never have imagined in my human life."

It was true. Something about the dragon in him had increased Calden's already strong passion. A married man now, he found himself wishing to experience that, even for a brief moment, before heading back into danger. He'd wanted her since he'd set eyes on her as Ny, could not have known the reason, but the feelings had been there, buried deep. And now... he only hoped she would accept his clumsy words and fervent desires.

His words and his kisses had sent little shivers down her spine. Sabelle was more then a bit absent in thought as he lead her into the alcove and she kept herself close to him. It took her a bit for his words to process in her mind, but once she did understand what he was saying, what he was asking, Sabelle smiled at Calden in adoration.

"Love is a good and sacred thing," she told him as she ran a hand through his hair looking at him, "and if there is a bit of, well lust involved, I think considering the circumstances we would be forgiven." Sabelle was definitely blushing, but she was still smiling at him, and really only had eyes for him. While there had been crushes of other village boys, once she had matured and really gave thought to what she wanted in life, the who became very obvious as well. Sabelle had eyes for Calden, only for him and likely never could look at another as she did him. "I do not wish to wait and there is really no need. I... It will be alright for you, won't I?"

With but a thought her passion cooled. That he held her and kissed her in his human form she had felt comforted and loved, but would the experience for him be less then ideal? Sabelle wanted to give herself completely to Calden, but he was not a human and suddenly she worried if he would feel limited making love as a man. She didn't want to think of such things, especially right at this moment, but the thought came loose and now she needed to know.

His lips pressed tight to hers, trying to assuage her doubt. But it was clear she was worried, so he sat back and exhaled slowly. He pulled her down onto his lap, holding her gently and playing with her hair. It was hard for him to think clearly at the moment, but he made an effort.

"No, Sabelle. It won't be alright. It will be wonderful, spectacular, the most amazing feeling because it will be with you. There's no one else I wish to be with. Why would it be anything less than phenomenal?" His lips went to her ear again, teasing softly. "You act as though I haven't wanted you for a very long time." His hand rested lightly on her thigh, his other arm still holding her to him. Suddenly, it dawned on him what she meant.

"Oh, love. I promise, I will enjoy this. I would no matter what shape I might wear. That doesn't matter. I have instincts of both man and dragon. I have needs of both, yes, but what form I am in matters not. In fact, I much prefer being able to touch with skin instead of scales. I want to feel your warm body against mine, know the softness of your skin." He smiled, lying back suddenly and drawing her with him. "I only hope I can please you, though."

Sabelle was reassured, and more. As he brought her down with him she blushed again, but seemed happy once more. She had no doubts about him pleasing her, and she let him know that. Indeed Sabelle expressed her pleasure for her husband with more then just words. Her expectations were more then met, but that was because she was with Calden.

The sanctuary was not chilled, a testament more to the construction of the building then any ethereal conditions. A smile was etched lightly on her lips as she laid partly on Calden's chest, eyes half closed. Sabelle was content. She knew pretty soon she would have to get up. They needed food and she knew she would feel better if he stayed in the sanctuary where it was safe. She worried he would feel the need to oppose her and want to do the opposite, so she wanted to stay as they were as long as she could, just enjoy listening to his breath, his heart beat. Her fingers lightly traced a rib as she stopped thinking and went back to just being with him. "Perfect," she muttered lightly.

Calden grinned, happy, in love, and rather proud of himself. He rested, stroking her hair for a while before closing his eyes. He was tired again. He'd not had quite enough rest to make up for the deficit and the actions of the last while had taken their toll. But he didn't wish to sleep. Perhaps if he just rested a moment... she was so warm and wonderful in his arms and the peace of the moment lulled the dragon to sleep before he knew it.

This time, the dreams were familiar. He'd almost have been expecting Calden's past, but this... this was different. Dreams of home. Dreams of Ny's past, the dragons gathered for council, a beautiful silver creature flirting her sinuous neck at him before leaping into the air. It had been a tease, something meant to raise the heat of blood but not to be taken seriously. The scene continued, council being held. Details were dreamlike, strange, and at one point very surreal as seven dragon females, each more lovely than the last, flew into the room wearing bracelets identical in all but size to Sabelle's. Ny felt himself smiling. Even if he had all seven of them, they would never compare to his one perfect human beloved. In his sleep, his lips twitched into a grin.

Sabelle was surprised to realize Calden had fallen asleep. She smiled and carefully got out of his arms. She did not want to wake him. In fact she sat there for some time just admiring him. He seemed happy and at peace. Sabelle resisted the urge to kiss him right there, worried that she might disrupt his sleep and dreams if she did so.

Before standing she touched his cheek gently. He was amazing as far as she was concern. There was no other words really that came close to how she felt about him. Everything about him, everything he did was amazing. Sabelle easily forgot all those minor annoyances and small failings he had. All mortal creatures had imperfections, but for the moment she saw none of that.

Once more she looked upon the green stone that sat in the middle of the large room. It was still confusing that it sat there. As far as Sabelle knew the right combination of priestesses and prayers could have moved it. Why did they chose to leave it? It had been a comfort to find, yes, but it didn't do anyone else much good. Sabelle shook her head sadly, it was doubtful she would ever learn the answer.

Biting her lip, Sabelle looked back at the alcove where Calden slept. Now would be the perfect time to go and find them some food. She wasn't sure she should leave without telling him, but he seemed like he could sleep a long time. It was possible she could leave and come back and he would still be asleep. It wouldn't take long she decided and silently she went to the great door.

She was gone when he woke. The space she'd occupied in his arms was empty, her clothing was missing, and she was gone! He leapt to his feet, quickly donning his own garments and racing around the room, checking in every corner for her. Only then did he realize she was truly gone. His heart raced in panic and he resisted the urge to moan aloud in anguish. Panic shot through him. What if something had gotten in, had taken her?

Throwing the doors open, he dashed outside. She wasn't in sight and he didn't dare call out for her and alert whatever might have stolen her away from him while he foolishly napped. He'd left his shoes behind. It was a strange, idle thought in the middle of panic and centered him slightly. It didn't matter, he wasn't going back in. It was his fault, all his fault, and if he'd lost her again, he'd never forgive himself. He'd just sworn to protect her! Mindlessly, he raced through the decaying temple grounds, hunting for her. He could barely hear through the blood pounding in his ears. The thought crossed his mind that he could find her better as a dragon.

The human form slid away like a sheet of water leaving the large blue standing in the midst of what had once been a courtyard. He gave a moment to pray, to hope, then leapt into the air, wings beating strongly to get him there. Only then did he thing to check the horizons for the Red. Good, they were clear, but that also meant he had no idea where his rival had taken his beloved, if it even WAS the Red and not relic hunters or some other scum. Now, panic was setting in deeper. The Red wanted her alive, but common thieves could do unspeakable things. He roared her name, soaring over the forest, searching.

"SABELLE!"

It was too early for berries of course, but there were many young shoots of vegetation that would be not only nutrious but tasty as well. Sabelle was glad to notice wild varieties of crops she knew use to be in the temple gardens. Escapees and woodland varieties mixing together to give her a bounty. The priestess' only regret was she did not have a basket, though her robes did an excellent job of carrying what she had picked.

Ideally she wondered if she should have Calden make her some clothing that was appropriate for this era. She had wanted to purchase clothing, but both her trips into a town had ended with her fleeing. It wouldn't always be the case, but she very much wanted to blend in better before they met people in the road.

Her thoughts on travel and wardrobe was interrupted as she heard her name echoing through the woods, a dragon's bellow calling her out. She recognized the voice as Ny's after a frightened moment, but she had never heard that tone before. She couldn't imagine what was wrong, but she raced back to the temple grounds, to a clearing so she could see him. She was very much out of breath, having more then once almost tripped on her mad dash. She did not think to catch her breath though, instead she looked up at the sky, trying to see the blue dragon, her mind repeating the same confussed thought over and over. "What is it? What's wrong?"

Her thoughts brought him up short, tugged him in the right direction. He soared back to the clearing, landing so quickly that his claws cut through the overgrown moss to the stones buried below. He fanned his wings to keep himself from crashing into anything. She was safe, she was here, and she'd done it again, called for him without meaning to. It wasn't normal. She had his dragon name, of course, but this time, she hadn't used it at all. Still, he couldn't think of that at the moment. She was safe! But she looked as though she'd run from something.

He took a moment to catch his breath, his mind pleading to hers.

"Who had you?! Who took you?! Where are they, I'll destroy them!" He fanned his wings, angrily looking around before settling that quicksilver gaze upon her. "You were gone. I was frightened. If any have harmed you, they will face my wrath, I swear." That heavy tail lashed back and forth, sweeping debris out of the way and occasionally lifting to thud against the ground. Claws flexed in and out of talon sheathes and all of Ny's many pointed and wickedly curved teeth were showing.

The thoughts were not her own. It was not painful or intrusive, just very very unexpected and Sabelle put both her hands to her head. In doing so she let go of her robes, the picked food falling to the ground. Sabelle looked at Ny in amazement for she knew these were his thoughts. If it were not for the fact he was so distressed she would have been happy to marvel over this new insight.

"No one. No one is here beloved. Please, be at ease." It was absolute foolishness to approach an enraged dragon, but Sabelle didn't think about that. Not for an instant was she worried about his claws or his row of teeth which he was baring. All Sabelle worried about was that her love, her husband, was upset and worried. "I didn't want to wake you," she said holding up her hands to him, not in pleading, but wanting him to bring his face closer to her. "I intended to return before you woke. I did not mean for you to wake in distress." Closing her eyes she shook her head. "I thought I could surprise you with some supper upon waking."

Slowly, very slowly, her words calmed him and he unfurled his lip and stopped flexing claws and lashing tail. He felt almost embarrassed to learn of where she'd been, but then anger took over. He tried to hold it in, but the mental connection was still strong and some seeped through. You could have been killed. You put yourself in danger. Don't ever do that again. He heaved a sigh before leaning his face close to her own. His warm breath ruffled her hair and his tongue gently swiped across her cheek.

He was certainly relieved that she was back safe. And, he had to admit, he was glad to be back in dragon form. As much as he'd loved being the Calden she knew, he felt much more able to protect her in this shape. He uttered a draconic chuckle, marveling at the fact that she could hear his thoughts and he hers. Gingerly, he tested it, sending a feeling of love in her direction. There might have been a bit of possessiveness mixed with it.

"I am very glad you are safe. I love you and would hate to see anything hurt you."

Sabelle felt a bit ashamed. After all she had known he wouldn't like her going out. It had been in her mind to take care of him, but she knew that partly it had been foolish ego and a naive feeling of safety being on temple grounds. The distruction here should have quickly reminded her that this land was not safe from the Red.

"I won't," she promised aloud as she touched the scales in his face, giggling when his tongue found her cheek, knowing that all was well once more. He then shared more with her and she was able this time to marvel at it appropriately. She could actually feel his love. It was wonderous, though there was an undercurrent of a slightly less noble feeling. It gave her thought to when the little gathering spell she had tried to show him on the cave had gone wrong and how she had be pulled into his hoard. She did not fault Ny, but it gave her much to think on. It was not his main motive though and as his words entered her mind she tried to reply in kind. ​"I'm sorry I worried you love. I did not mean to. I love you, love you very much."

The winds whipped by as Ny flew as quickly as his wings could carry him. He might not be the fastest dragon, but he was still much quicker than the Red. It was a blessing, too, because neither of them would have survived without his speed. Ny looked down at the precious woman he carried in his front feet, cradled against his chest. She was sobbing softly in pain. He could not hear it above the wind, but he could just barely feel her shudders through his chest armor.

He hated to ignore her pain, but for now, he needed to concentrate on getting them to their destination. Straightening his neck, he flew onward. She'd just been telling him of another temple's location when the Red had descended upon them in the courtyard. Reacting instinctively, Ny had grabbed Sabelle and leaped into the air, but he hadn't been quick enough to avoid the rake of magic laden claws down his side, cutting deep through scales and leaving them oozing blood. Sabelle and Ny had flown, managing to get the bleeding to stop through a quick application of their magics, but by the time Ny had been well enough to fly his fastest, the Red had caught up.

Neither had been fast enough to avoid the flame. Sabelle's shield was a second too late, protecting her from death, but leaving her horribly burned, much of her hair gone, her arms a deep blackened red. She'd screamed about the burning, then the cold of the air rushing by. He'd known then just how badly she was burned. His own scales had protected him, as well as her body, from the worst of it. He'd no doubt she'd be dead otherwise. His own pain didn't matter. He had to get her to the temple. She'd die otherwise. He wasn't so much of a foolish optimist to believe otherwise. Even the greatest magus would die of infection with wound that bad left untended.

They'd outflown the Red, Ny ducking down amongst a canyon at one point to lose him an scaring many sheep along the way. They'd flown for nearly an hour to ensure they were not followed and the binding of his wound was starting to unravel. But now, he could see the temple in the distance. Sabelle was so quiet, so still, that he risked another look at her in his hands.

"Please be alright, my love."

"Please be alright, my love."

The words echoed in Sabelle's mind and soul then were reflected back to him. She was far from alright, but she was alive. Sabelle was not in the presence of mind to do anything other then try to escape the pain and even if she could speak, she could not think coherently enough to form complex sentences. Reminded of her love's presence gave her something else to think upon, to worry about him, and so even though she couldn't say it in her own words, she could let him know she was worried about him as well.

At the temple grounds there was much commotion. When alerted of a draon in their skies, defensive measures were taken, but as the elders looked up and saw not a menessing red dragon, but one blue they kept the younger ones from leveling bolts into the sky. A few moments later when it could be seen the dragon was holding something and injured, it was believed to be the right course of action.

A small spear of light was sent up, to direct the injured blue on where to land. For while they would help and injured, they were not too trusting on dragon kind. This had not always been the case for this Order, but the last three hundred years had made them leery. The first priestesses to approach the dragon as he landed were mage-priest, that would if need be take down a threat, but before the blue could say anything their hostility vanished for they could see what he held. "Summon the healers, immediately!"

He refused to put her down. Despite his own pain, he balanced on his hind legs, his wings fanning to keep him upright. The commotion around him was confusing, but he was already too scared for her to allow for him to fear the priestesses and others. The dragon was trying to keep himself from roaring and scaring them, but he wanted to shout, to plead with them to hurry.

As the healers were sent for and the priestesses approached, he did not wish to relinquish Sabelle. He held her close to him and curved his neck protectively. It took many precious minutes for them to convince him to let her go, for convincing and injured dragon to do anything is a difficult task indeed. Finally, he gently placed her on the ground, being sure to move as slowly as he could to keep from jarring her. It was incredible strain and his injury started to bleed more, magic finally fraying completely from it. Roaring, he backed away, collapsing to the ground with a great thud and panting in exhaustion and shock at the whole situation, since now it fully hit him.

"No, no go ahead. Stay with it. We have Janette and Donna going with the girl," the head priestess, a tall lankthy woman with silvering blonde hair told one of the younger priestesses who had lingered for a moment once the young woman had been taken away. The call of a healer was drawing on the woman, the head priestess knew, and with two of her most competent healers already set to work on the girl they had more then enough to spear on the girl's protector.

That morning Caroline, head priestess of the temple of Mist Fire at Conner's Height, had had a preminison of a great event to unfold this day. She had had to dance around committing to any meetings and had ate light, not knowing what sort of event was to transpire. That a injured dragon brought them a young woman who looked like she had been burned, indicated something distressing. Especially the protective stance he took once he landed. Something bigger and more menessing then the large blue creature in her courtyard attacked the both of them and that only meant a bigger dragon!

"Did you see her cloths?" A weak voice asked by her side. Caroline was surprised to see the elderly priestess by her elbow, but she gave the woman a brief smile before her worried expression returned.

"I'm afraid I was far too busy to take note of her outfit," Caroline tried to keep the sarcasm out of her voice as she kept an eye on the dragon as he was being tended to.

"She was dressed in our robes, old style, very very old, but I recognized the stitching on the hem as they were taking her inside." Caroline looked at the old woman, blinking a few times. "No, I don't know what it means either, but I do not think it is something a dragon would keep and then dress a girl in."

Caroline looked up at the sky. It would be hours before the healing sleep would wear off with the injuries the girl sustained and even then... "As soon as that dragon is conscious I want some answers." Caroline headed to her study, she had some things to look up.

Ny opened his eyes slowly. They stung from the quickness of his flight and the Red's smoke. His side and thigh ached and felt hot, possibly infected, he mused absently. The majority of his thought then went to one thing and one thing alone: Finding Sabelle.

He stood too fast, wobbling before starting forward. The young priestess moved to block his path, another coming up beside her. A third went to his side, beginning to cast a spell. Confused, frightened, worried, he bared teeth, turning on the casting healer.

"Don't! Where's Sabelle?! I need to see her!" He fanned his wings and crouched, ready to leap to the skies, but the injury tripped him up, sending him skidding forward. Pain! He roared aloud, smoke curling from his nostrils as he forced himself to his feet, turning to one of the magepriests. "Where. Is. Sabelle?"

"Calm yourself, dragon," the youngest said, reaching out and fearlessly placing her hands on the scales of his muzzle. "The girl has been taken to be healed. You are injured. Please, let Peg heal you or you won't be going anywhere. You're very hurt. The wound was poisoned with magic that is slowly working through your body. She can set a healing in motion but you have to be still!"

"I MUST see Sabelle!"

"You will sit down right now and let yourself be healed!" she snapped. She reminded him so of his Sabelle that he immediately did as she said without thinking. "And after that, while your Sabelle rests, the Head Priestess needs to speak with you." She turned, nodding to the other magepriest who set off to find Caroline or whomever the woman decided to have question the male.

Caroline took her time coming back to the courtyard, confident the situation was well taken care of. With her was another priestess. By the time she reached the dragon, Peg was just finishing up. She nodded to the two priestesses then looked up at the dragon.

"If you mean us no harm, then I welcome you to our temple. Know that if you come under false pretenses we do know how to defend ourselves from your kind." The head priestess' harsh look then softened. "I am Caroline and beside me is Rachel. She has a very special gift. She knows truth."

The fact was the priestess grew up very alone because of her gift and only coming to the temple did she find people that appreated her and would love her desire how scary it cold be to talk with a truth knower. People lied much more often then they realized and Rachel had to learn when to ignore the lies and when to use her knowledge. She was still you and frightened, but being up close to a dragon was much more scary.

"Now, I have many questions. Why did you come here, for I do not believe you happened upon this place by chance. Who attacked you, and did they follow you here? Who is that girl, and what is she to you?"

Caroline was concerned, very concerned. She had not needed the report from the other magepriestess. She had heard the dragon yell out for the girl, Sabelle. What worried her was she then got a report from a priestess that was attending the two healers that Sabelle had seemed to try to respond to the roar. Then the fact that the girl's magic seemed to be aiding the healers in their work. It was a mixed blessing for while that would speed up the recovery process, what was a mage, possibly of a holy order, doing with a dragon?