This Wasn't What I Wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rory watched everyone, hardly trusting the man that had saved them. Still, even though he couldn't hear, he hated being idle, so he took his laptop out of his backpack and booted it up, plugging two flash drives into it as he did so. Once it had booted up, he accessed the Internet, pulling up several text documents and programs. Even now, Rory was working.

Aech meanwhile had gathered the rest of the group, and was talking with them in hushed voices, trying to figure out the man, their savior. How did he get all of this stuff, and why? And how did Dizzy and Nex know him? However, as he spoke,hhe saw he was losing some of them; everyone except Emina it seemed was exhausted, and they all longed for rest.

Rory was doing six things at once. It was always how he worked, and he was flitting between web pages and programs, always trying to find something he missed, something that could expose their location and who they were with. Normally he was always very certain about his work, but that was when he had Vira around to check his work. Now, he wasn't sure if he was doing anything right.

((It's fine ^^

"... Woah, check out all these strings of data! That girl's been busy with all her new fr- Ow!"

"Will you shut up about that? Try to be more sensitive, geez!"

"Sensitive about what? I'm just stating a fact!"

"Ugh... Anyway, how long will it take you to make some sense out of this... thing?"

"Well, seeing that it's a bit more complex than just a ciphered message, I'll have to run it into many different programs just to figure out what exactly this data is for. That okay with you, Diz?"

"..."

"... Dizzy?"

Hearing her name a second time, Dizzy blinked and looked up from blankly staring into space. Despondently, she looked up to see Chelle eyeing her. Although she does not speak anything of it, she is obviously concerned about what's going on inside Dizzy's mind.

"You must be tired from all that walking. You can go rest and we'll just call on you when we find out something."

While the march that they had to do earlier did inconvenience her, it hardly bothered her at all. Regardless, she just nodded listlessly went off to wander about aimlessly in the clutter-filled room.

Teishi's last words didn't completely take her off guard, as it was a possibility that she had considered to happen. However, even if it was a predictable scenario, it was still an answer that she could not easily accept or prepare herself completely for. Ami had been Dzzy's closest friend for tens of years now and she was even the one who replaced her severed limb with a metal one, so for her to deviate to the side that took it in the first place is just...

Absentmindedly, she found herself sitting at a spot beside Emina who, like Teishi, is busily preoccupied with his own laptop. As she sat down, though, she could feel the stares and glares of his companions boring down upon her. Normally she'd get unnerved by things like this, but recent experiences and thoughts managed to shake off every ounce of self-awareness within her. Without even so much as the slightest hint of expression, she leaned her back flat on the wall behind her and just hugged her legs into her chest.

In silence, she tries to find peace within her question-filled mind.

While Rory worked on his computer, he was greeted with an IM pop-up from a handle he didn't recognize.

<We know where your location is. Emerge from the door and step twenty paces away from it, and no one will be harmed. An extraction team will retrieve you and you will be tried for terrorism. You're the only one to be tried, but if you resist we will try your companions as well.

Rory answered.

<Who are you?

<Division 19, State Defense.

Rory took a deep breath, slowly shutting his laptop. Division 19 was well known for making people disappear, forever. They did the government's dirty work. He stood, putting his laptop into his bag and slinging it over his shoulders. Mechanically, like a robot, he moved to the door, fiddling with the heavy latch before finally getting it to open.

He adjusted his glasses, biting his bottom lip as he opened the door. Then, Aech noticed him, and pulled him from the door, but Rory only shook his head. "I need to go," he said softly. He shrugged off Aech's hand, and began walking outside.

Dizzy didn't know for how long she became lost in her thoughts as she remained unmoving from her spot, her mind filled with thoughts and images that rapidly went by like a bullet-speed slideshow. It was only when something, or rather, someone bumped her on the side did she show any semblance of life by blinking and tilting her head to see who it was.

"So, how're you holding up?" Chelle asked, her voice low and hushed as she huddled beside Dizzy, her concerned eyes peering out from underneath her orange hood. In response, Dizzy stared back at her monotonously while giving a slight shrug.

"... I don't know what to think of it anymore." Came her honest reply, to which her friend just smiled.

"Well, I wouldn't be surprised. I was too when I first learned about it, but then, looking back, we never did understand how that girl's mind works in the first place."

Something about Chelle making a crack in regards to their past with Ami sounded so familiar that one could almost say it was nostalgic. Noticing that feeling, Dizzy managed to muster up a small grin.

"Anyway, Teishi's still not done analyzing that card, so we have some time for ourselves now." Chelle muttered with a sweeping glance at their surroundings, just to make sure that no one around them is eavesdropping in their conversation.

"But now that you know where she is... are you still going to stay with these people here?"

Status
Not open for further replies.