The Uprising

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Julius - Facility

"They did. I, however, destroyed all of their intel. And thanks to Diego and in-fighting most of those who had actual knowledge of these facilities are dead. Those who survived have no specific knowledge, merely generals and administrative details but not really specific information like... the location of said facilities." Julius gave the boy, who was one of the newest members of their group, a vaguely comforting smile but sensed any effort would neither be appreciated nor successful; Atticus would most likely respond to cold, hard facts which he could work with. Like Julius himself.

With a nod, Julius excused himself and led Mira down the corridor into an empty room. He raised an eyebrow at the blonde girl casually sitting on a desk central to the room, legs swinging impatiently. She looked up as they entered and slid off the surface with such natural grace it looked practiced.

"I checked this room, you won't be overheard. Oh, and Diego's not too far away. This place seems pretty darn safe, I only found it because I was tracking your heartbeat. The Syndicate sure know how to keep a secret, I'll give them that. Oh, I'll upload the locations to your phone." She brushed a hand over his mobile as he held it out to her, sparks dancing across her fingers into the device and adjusting data in the map app pre-loaded onto it. "Well then, I'll leave you to it. Call me if you need me again." She winked knowingly at Mira before disappearing, a few sparks bouncing off the floor before fading out of sight. Julius slid the phone into his pocket; he didn't need to check the data to know it was there, Alexis was also exact in her actions.

The young man headed around to the other side of the desk, all trace of his limp now gone with his charade revealed by the night raid. The seats were hardly comfortable but they were still of a better quality than those in their previous accommodation. He gestured at the remaining seat on the opposite side but did not insist, Mira was not a woman who needed telling what to do and would take actions as she desired; that much he had understood from their first meeting.

"I should reveal a few of my cards at this stage." Julius started, his eyes flitting to the door. A swift breeze had it slamming shut and then a solid air barrier, his go-to manner of ensuring privacy, sealed the room from the outside world. He pulled out a laptop from the rucksack he had brought from the not-so-safe-house and placed it on the desk. Logging in past the rather unorthodox security, he span the machine around. A list of folders was on the screen, all ordered into clear topics for easier navigation.

"'Facilities', 'Unnatural Origins', 'Power Development'. There's a reason the government haven't already crushed us: I stole all of their research before the Civil War setting them back to square one. With Diego's rampage that made a lot of people uneasy about working with them which has given the rest of us some breathing room. Six months' breathing room, to be precise." Julius pushed the machine closer to Mira's side of the desk so that she could get a better look at the display.

"Unfortunately, these are only the research materials. Once the military realised that Alexis was doing 'errands' for me they removed all of their more vital information drives from both any internet access as well as the power grid. Still, their actions are easy to anticipate and therefore manipulate. Such as tonight." Julius stood up, crossing to a wardrobe in the room, examining it as if he was talking about the weather and not a fight for their right to survive. He stayed quiet for a moment, organising his thoughts and deciding how much to impart.

"Spreading rumours of a safe-house without revealing its location to the government would be completely impossible. So it became part of the strategy. I've collected a few Empowered, most of whom show significant promise, thus strengthening my own position and also keeping them out of government hands. The raid was inevitable but such immediacy suggests that someone didn't want me to become too well entrenched. They would also require prior knowledge of the location and its use." He turned away from the wardrobe and returned to his seat, resting his elbows on the desk surface and interlacing his fingers to form a platform on which he placed his chin. "Someone in the Syndicate used the government to eliminate me as a threat; sadly for them it's a blatantly obvious strategy and they will reveal themselves through their idiocy shortly. I imagine you already have a good idea of who was involved. Judging by the threat to your own person, and your knowledge of the escape routes, I can conclude that neither you nor your benefactor are responsible and thus can be trusted. As a sign of goodwill I am offering you my intel but in exchange I would like to work with you; that includes reshaping the Syndicate so that it can actually fight against the government rather than wait to be crushed while some of its leaders either escape with their riches or kneel to the administration and betray their allies."

Standing up, Julius pushed the laptop lid closed and returned the machine to his bag, indicating his part of the conversation was over. He sat down again and leaned back, inviting the operative to speak her mind.

"I don't expect an immediate answer, that is not how these things work. I also know you're not the type to run headlong into any commitment with someone as manipulative as me with considering any drawbacks to such an agreement. I do intend to make the entire Syndicate my ally. Just not the current Syndicate."

----------------------------------------------------

Alexis - Facility

"So, you guys made it out alive. Congratulations, a lot of people wouldn't." Alexis had, as per usual, appeared out of nowhere in the centre of the group of exhausted Empowered refugees, her pony tail bobbing as she spoke with enviable energy. She gestured towards the common area where there were limited food stuffs, simple affair like that at the previous safe house.

"Sleep is probably the last thing you want to do right now so have a meal first; you'll have forgotten how hungry you are with all the, y'know, not dying. I'll be here tonight to keep an eye out so don't worry, you're all safe. This base is closer to home for the Syndicate so they aren't going to go and give it up easily so rest easy and I'll see you in the morning. Oh, and try and cheer up a little. We may all be fighting for our lives but if we let this be all we live for then they've already taken away your chance for everyday joy; just be happy you're here and not up there in the open with no companions, shelter or food to let you last out the night."

With her 'stirring' speech completed, the bouncy blonde girl disappeared from all sight, watching over the facility's few entrances with eternally watchful eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Tunnels, Brooklyn, New York

Akiko shrugged at Dirk's comment. "We all tried not to be assuming."

It was then Julius announced they were moving on and began leading everyone further into the tunnels. Eventually they arrived at what appeared to be one of the infamous facilities.

"Okay guys, find a room and make yourselves familiar with the place. This is a safer location than before but there's no point in being careless."

Akiko walked towards the nearest unoccupied room, taking a look inside. It certainly did not look like a place where an Unnatural would undergo experimentation and dissection, but Akiko could still tell what the place used to be from the white walls, the bright LED lights and the scent of sterilization chemicals in the air. Still, whoever refurbished this did a good job of making it less unsettling.

Ironic really. She heard about these places, spent much of her time avoiding capture and put into one, and now she's seeking refuge here.

"So, you guys made it out alive. Congratulations, a lot of people wouldn't." A girl whom Akiko did not recognize as part of their group appeared out of nowhere and spoke. She gestured towards a spot where food was, reassuring them all she'll be keeping watch over the facility while they recuperate. She gave one optimistic outlook for them to reflect on before disappearing instantly. Another teleporter? Maybe, but something told Akiko she shouldn't be around that girl.

A greeting for coming to the new safehouse. This wasn't a mansion with security and servants to attend to her every need, that's for sure, but if it was close to the Syndicate, as the girl said, then for now it wasn't so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.