The Strangest Thing: A Pendulous Fall?

Robert noticed Penelope's hands shaking and when she put down the pen he placed one of his large hands on top of her's in a reassuring gesture. It might not have been the most proper thing in the world to do, but it was the right thing. "I was just thinking grilled cheese, and if I'm not mistaken there's a can of tomato soup in the cupboard." Robert then gave her a smile and squeezed her hand.

They had only one more interview that day, after lunch, a very dirty man that didn't look like he belonged in a kitchen. After some polite noises he was told he didn't quite fit the position and after that they called it a day. Not the most successful, but sometimes it wasn't so easy to find the right person as you'd hope.

The next morning Robert got up early as usual and took breakfast up to Penelope's room. He'd made scones and was looking forward to having one himself once he got back to the kitchen. So far Penelope had been asleep still when he came in for breakfast, and when he opened the door she was still in bed as he had expected.

Penelope always awoke to find breakfast waiting for her like magic. THIS time she was determined to see when and how it appeared. Of course she knew it was Robert being kind enough to bring it up for her, but he always did it without a sound and at the perfect moment where hot breakfasts were still piping hot and cold breakfasts were icy cold. She could have a psychic butler!

So finally, for the very first time since he arrived, she lie in bed pretending to be asleep and taking a peek from under her blanket. He set the tray down on her bedside table. Then she popped up just like one of those gophers in a game and shouting "AH HA!" as if she had caught him doing something nefarious. Penelope was pleased that she could him by surprised... but even more amused that he instantly fixed his expression to Mr. Serious Butler. He made surprising him very fun.

"Since I've woken so early today, I would really like to go in to town and buy an elephant. I had the neatest dream about an elephant eating a crystal apple and turning in to a time lord! Oh, would like to have breakfast with me?" In the middle of her chatter she had plucked a scone off the plate, tore a piece off and popped it in her mouth with a happy sigh. They were even better with the fresh cream!

It wasn't that he wasn't quiet, Robert was sure of that by the big grin on her face. Penelope must have been trying to wake up before he came in. Still though it ruined the illusion. Ah well, she was pleased and was already planning the day. "An elephant?" he said with a bit of surprise, perhaps not completely back to tranquil butler after she popping up in bed.

Then the other thing she mentioned registered, she wanted him to sit in here and have breakfast. "It is completely improper, but if you don't tell anyone I shall get my tea and join you for breakfast." Robert gave a conspiratorial wink and went back to the door to retrieve his own cup and plate.

As he climbed back up the stair after coming out of the kitchen, Robert realized that this was likely the only time this would happen. They were alone in this big house and Penelope was a very friendly person. She likely saw him as much a friend as employee right now, but once there was more staff then just him that would have to change. She was, no matter what else, the employer.

Tapping on the door first, now that she was awake, Robert walked back in. "So you were saying you want an elephant?

While he had gone to fetch his own plate, Penelope hadn't eaten another bite. After all, they were supposed to eat together! She pointed at the edge of the bed where he could sit. Her own tray was now on the bed, along with a couple of catalog magazines from local stores in the city.

"Yes, it was the weirdest dream! But it was a really neat elephant so I'd like to find one. I think I'll paint it..." Penelope was still trying to decide what she was going to do with her elephant, and had plenty of ideas. Elephants were sacred and wise animals and she knew all sorts of neat stories about them. To dream about an elephant probably had a lot of prophetic meanings. If she had remembered moments ago that she suspected her butler was psychic, she might have asked him what it meant.

She took a sip of her tea, pushing one of the catalog's across the covers towards Robert. "This store looks interesting. Do you like to drive or should I take a taxi?"

Robert sat down on the edge of the bed, and wondered how Penelope didn't drown in all the cushion. Still though the comforter was nice to sit on and the butler was able to enjoy his first taste of this batch of scones. He was pleased with the results, it had been a recipe he'd been given but had not had the opportunity to try himself yet.

He thought Penelope's dream sounded like a lot of fun, but most of his smile was hidden by his drinking of tea. Robert looked down when she passed the catalogue to him. It looked like the type of shop that specialized in all sorts of eccentric items. Just the place to find an elephant.

"You don't need to take a cab," Robert looked back up at Penelope. He thought this shopping trip might be amusing. She wasn't clothing shopping after all. Besides, "My first job after high school was as a chauffeur. My great aunt got me the job with an English banker she had once been the nanny to. It's how I got my start you could say there."

"That had to be a fun job! You know, I don't even have a license. I tried to get one once or twice when I was a teenager, but I never did pass those tests." Penelope didn't seem upset by the failure in the least. She was currently occupied with making scones vanish in between sips of tea. So heavenly!

Once she had enough, she was bouncing off the bed to trot towards her wardobe. "Of course, I really like shiny cars though... so I have a few in the garage. It drives my Uncle crazy because I never drive them myself, but I don't think it's really any different than people who collect toys and never play with them. Only... when I have chauffeurs they get to drive them!"

As she was talking, Penelope would pull a shirt or dress from the wardrobe and hold it up against herself to pretend she was being choosy. All the while it was just for Robert to see and carefully watch his expression. She had learned very quickly that Mr. Robert Frank was very very good at hiding his thoughts. Where she appreciated how professional he was, Penelope herself was very... unprofessional. She liked to know people, and Robert's professionalism made it an especially fun challenge to get to know him!

Penelope finally decided on the blouse in dark green and a pair of khaki slacks. He seemed most relaxed with it, compared to some of the other things, that might have been a bit silly for a cold day out. He was considerate!

There was an egotistical part of Robert that thought Penelope's little fashion show was all for him, but the more practical side suggested she would be doing this for just about any friend she brought into the room. Either way he got a second good look at her wardrobe since he had arrived, and he didn't mind all that much.

Once she seemed to have picked her outfit for the day Robert stood and grabbed the tray. "Unless you are needing anything else Madam I shall take care of these and then bring a car around."

Penelope was not in need of anything else and soon Robert took himself out of the room to dispose of the dishes before grabbing his jacket and heading to the large garage. It was not of course the first time he had been in there, but today he needed to pick out a car that would be fun, but cozy. Important things these winter days. "Ah yes," he said to himself when he saw the cute little car.

View attachment 8219

With perhaps a bit of excitement Robert got in and turned the engine on. This was a fine machine indeed, and by the time he had it warmed up and slowly driven to the front of the manor, Penelope was just getting down the stairs. Robert was out of the mini cooper and at the front door before she was halfway across the foyer.

"Your car is waiting, madam."

"Thank you so much, Mister Robert Frank." she responded with a bright smile. She was playing the part of a rich heiress very well. Nodding politely as she stepped out of the house. Pausing when he closed the door, and then waiting to continue down the front steps once he was standing and waiting by the car door with it open for her. It was obvious that she knew the way things were 'supposed' to be, but found it all silly and entertaining.

She wore a light jacket and a colorful scarf. Carried a smallish purse in her hands. Once she slid in to the cooper's seat, she situated herself neatly and clapped her hands. "I can't wait! It's been weeks since I've had a good shopping trip. I do hope I can find my elephant."

Robert started them down the long drive, but glanced at Penelope and smiled. Her excitement was indeed infectious. "If it's in town, I'm sure we will find it." Robert wouldn't interfer with her fun looking for the elephant, but if she really needed help he would provide it any way he could.

The car drifted out the gate and onto the main road, occasionally passing other large homes. Not all of them were occupied as some people found foothills too far from any real civilization and only came out for holiday. But not everyone treated their estates as second homes out here.

"I haven't gotten a good chance to learn my way around town yet, so you'll have to introduce me to your favorite place for lunch," it was just improper enough that he would never have made the comment to a different employer, but Penelope wasn't interested in always being proper. He had a hunch she'd not bat an eye if her butler wore an aloha shirt and flip flops all the time.

The road curved and in the distance below they could see the valley where the central part of town stood, still a good distance away however.

"That'll be fun! I know a lot of great places to eat. In between chefs and when I had a driver, I got to try most of the places in town!" If Penelope had her way, she would be in town for food and shopping far more often. But without a license... that was never the best idea. The police officers were very nice about it, but they told her the next time they caught her she'd have to spend an evening in jail. Penelope was scared straight!

With the condensation on the side window, Penelope drew a smilie face with her finger. Looking at other people's homes and yards was always interesting, but today she was more interested in her new very capable butler.

"Have you ever tried freeze dried grasshoppers? Granted, I don't actually want to eat that for lunch, but there's a shop that sells really weird things like that. Sometimes they have something less disturbing than bugs."

"Grasshoppers? I've had them before, but not freeze dried." Robert's response was casual as they drove down hill. It hadn't been more then forty eight hours since he had been sitting in a little tent eating something very similar to a grasshopper when he had walked into the employment agency. He had still been in his hiking gear, having found it best to go there straight away then to clean up. After all he had his resume. There had been a misunderstanding at first that he was there for some other reason, but when they learned he was looking for a position as butler at a large house they'd been overjoyed. To the point where Robert wondered wha sort of employeer Penelope really was.

Not that for a moment he thought of saying no, after all he knew there was a reason for him to be there. Penelope was of course nothing like he expected, and it amazed her that no one had gotten her employees that matched her sparkling personality. When they reached an intersection he glanced over at her. He was going to ensure she got the best staff imaginable.

"And I did have them for lunch. They're not bad, but I wouldn't go out of my way to have them for my meal," he told her. He wondered how curious she would be about that. He didn't think she'd find the whole idea disgusting since she brought it up.

Penelope's eyes were wide with interest as she watched him. At first she was silent, fully expecting to him to go on with the story. Explain it all. Once she realized she would have to ask, she didn't hesitate to launch in to her questions.

"So you have tried them before! Did you go somewhere exotic or was it a fun little shop in a town? Or did you eat one right out of the backyard! I can't imagine that the backyard grasshoppers would be as good as one specially selected for eating though. Unless they taste different depending on what they eat, like cows do? Not that I ever ask what the cow had for dinner before I eat a steak. That would be a little strange."

Strange, coming from the woman whose entire life seemed to be a little strange. Penelope was smiling and looking out the window again, pointing at a street sign that was heralding their upcoming turn. "So exotic, or shop? I haven't been on a vacation in a really long time. I would need a capable staff at home first, I couldn't dare leave the house all by itself."

Robert chuckled as Penelope asulted him with questions. Her inquisitive spirit was easy to enjoy. "It was no shop, but a small village in south eastern Africa. It was served as part of the meal with other things like vegetables and porridge." Robert glanced over at Penelope and grinned. "If you're curious, my employeer was looking for a band of hunters."

Robert recalled the night the hunters' shaman came to him in a vision, demanding to know what they were doing in the village. Cocky though he was in his youth he knew to be respectful to the shaman. Robert had told the older man that he knew that they did not want to be found, but his employeer wanted to meet them and Robert planned to do everything reasonable to find them. The shaman had taken this as a threat, which was not Roberts intention and had to explain that it was not a do or die situation but rather a hide and seek game.

"We never did fine them, but m employeer enjoyed the trip none the less and got more nformation then he expected." Robert made the turn and they started to go down the hill into the town. "We will get you a competent staff and then you can travel to your hearts content."