The Sangruis Society

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
August hardly appreciated being dragged along down the corridor by someone he reluctantly had to concede was stronger than him, but he adjusted the straps of the nightgown with little more than a faint smile. He knew better than to snap at the other for the action - if he was in his position, he would have likely lost his temper in a much more noticeable manner.

"...He's a new vampire, Pat. He was always going to act uncharacteristically to the Obediah we know and love, hm? But that doesn't make his current behaviour any less... irritating, I suppose," he began as he took a seat beside the window, taking in the sight of the grey, clouded skies with an approving smile. He hated having to lock himself indoors during the daytime, so when the weather was as appalling as it was, shielding the sun out, he always found time to be approving of it.

It took him several minutes to reply to his friend, pondering the many potential consequences of executing the other's plan. He could not only lose Obediah as a close friend (and someone he saw as a brother), but he could lose Forrest too, and that would be disastrous for him. The human was the first man he had ever really developed strong feelings for, at least for a few decades, so to lose him at any stage of their blossoming friendship would be horrendous.

But the benefits of killing his mother overshadowed that. Obediah could return home and Forrest would be free to join him too. That was far too tempting to turn down, regardless of the immense risks involved.

"...We'd have to be smart about it. And careful, of course. If either of them -Obediah or his brother- get even an inkling that we were involved, it'd be devastating. Obediah wouldn't talk to either of us again. I'm willing to go through with it, of course. That woman is the one thing standing in the way of my happiness-- and Forrest's. So yes, I'm up for it, of course I am. I'm not patient enough to wait for her to pass naturally."

"Obediah would get over it - and if he didn't, I could simply rub it in his face for being a bloody hypocrite. How is it okay to hang my past relationship in front of me like that? I could simply say that, 'oh, your mother died? You're a vampire, you were going to outlive her anyway.' It's just... I want to slap him but if I did he would run, saying that I'm somehow the bad guy and that I should apologize - I'm sorry. I'm just... frustrated," he explained quickly, albeit quietly as he paced the room.

"I'm glad you're in agreement," he admitted after his own long pause, his lips pursed. "If we do this correctly, everything will be perfect, right? We can get back to London and never see this horrible place again." He firmly declared, his eye closing tight. "I'm just - I need to go for a walk before we do this. Of course we'll have to do it at night for Forrest's sake. We could make it look messy - Obediah knows we aren't like him. Perhaps if we make a mess, he won't realize it was us?"

"He's naive, Pat. If we leave her body outside, we could probably convince him that there actually is an animal out there. Make it messy and he should believe that we had nothing to do with it, yes. You're a good liar, as am I. And he'll never believe that we'd lie to him. Really, there's nothing to worry about. Take a walk if you need to. I don't think there's much else to think or worry about, though. It's a good plan, it'll work out just fine," he promised as he observed his friend with an arched brow, his lips pursed at how stressed he seemed to be. He understood precisely why that was, but he hardly liked seeing him like it.

"...Listen, it'll be fine, Padraig. Everyone here thinks there's an animal around here, so they won't suspect us. Obediah's too naive for his own good, so he'll be easily led to believe a lie. We get a meal and we get to rid ourselves of that woman who's stopping us from getting what we want. Assuming we do this correctly, there aren't any consequences; they won't ever find out the truth. Do stop worrying. I hate seeing you like this."

"I hate being like this," he added in a murmur before taking a seat on the bed. "It's not just his mother being here, I just want him to apologize so everything can be back to normal. Not only that but it's sickening to watch you be all googly-eyed over Forrest, just... get him to London already," he continued, though this time trying to add a bit of humor to his voice.

"When should we do it? We'll need to be subtle; don't bring any attention to us. Well, no more than we do naturally. I'm sure that human you're obsessed with will be utterly broken, won't he? A father, a pet, and a mother? Maybe that will make him even more susceptible to your charm?" He spoke, much more calmly now that he had taken a few (unnecessary) breaths.

"I'll certainly be a shoulder for him to cry on. I'd rather have done this without him getting upset at all, but desperate times call for desperate measures, I suppose-- and maybe if he does find out further down the line, he'll understand that I did this partly for him. He hates it here. With his mother gone, he can leave and enjoy his life. I don't think it's cruel of me to give him the opportunity to leave and be happy, is it?" He sighed, resting his head on his hand as he tapped his nails against the arm of the chair, unnecessarily breathing out himself to calm the very slight urge to abandon the plan. He knew it was the right thing to do, but seeing Forrest and Obediah both heartbroken over it would be unbearable, especially when he knew that he was the reason for causing them that heartache.

"No, this is the right thing to do. We'll do it tonight; when they're asleep. Obediah doesn't want to be around you, which'll work to our advantage - we won't need to worry about him searching for us. We'll do the deed and... wait for them to discover her in the morning. I'm rather looking forward to it. I haven't had a proper meal in... goodness, days now. It's long overdue," he grumbled, rubbing his throat for emphasis when the familiar burning began to reawaken in anticipation. "...So you told him about your eye, did you? That's... brave of you. Even I don't know the story."

"I know, yet he still thinks that I don't love him as much as... you know," he murmured, his eye avoiding August in embarrassment. "Like you said, I would consider you my best friend, August, and I haven't even told you. For him to be so dense to realize that I've moved on and realized I was being dramatic is hurtful. I... yes, I do miss my captain and I do consider him someone who was incredibly important to me but if we were really soulmates, why did he die and I live? If we were soulmates, I would have died alongside of him," he explained with pursed lips before chuckling.

"It took a long time for me to accept what happened -20 years, I would say. You and I know that time is a little strange for us. Nonetheless, much like you, I... didn't think I would find someone that I felt so connected to again, not after what happened. He has such intense tunnel vision that he doesn't realize how much I love him. It makes me incredibly mad, actually."

"I'm not too good at advice when it comes to love lives. I've never been in love, you know that. I can't relate and offer you some marvellous advice, Pat. I suppose I can at least say that things will be less stressful when we're home and Obediah has fed properly. Maybe then he'll realise how silly he's been acting, hm? It's rather obvious to us all at the Society that you love him; I wouldn't worry about that. Obediah knows it, he's just-- you know how it is when you first turn, it's all confusing and emotions run high. It'll all be fine in a few days," he reassured as confidently as he could. He didn't know that for certain -there was no certainty that Obediah would apologise and take the blame- but he liked to think that things would go back to normal. Removing the mother from the equation at least made that a little more likely.

"If this goes pear-shaped and they discover that she was killed, I'll take the blame entirely for it if you'd like. No point in us both getting the blame and losing out on what we want. I'll take the blame if that's what is necessary for you and Obediah to get things back on track. Not that they'll find out, of course, but I suppose we need to be prepared for that possibility."

"No, that's not necessary. If we get caught, we get caught. I know you're more slick-tongued but you don't deserve to get all of the blame. As you said, though, we won't need to worry," he reassured with a chuckle, mostly to calm himself down. Pushing off of the bed, he decided to tug on a shirt.

"Yes, I think I'm going to head to the village. I need to get out of this house for a little while. You're invited to join me, unless you want to continue your hunt for that Crownfield's heard," he drawled with a roll of his eyes. "You're surprisingly dedicated to this situation, it's commendable."

"Considering we've kissed already, just twenty minutes ago, I think I have every right to be confident in my chances. When his mother's out of the way, he'll be on a train to London in no time. I really think you're failing to realise how charming I am and how attractive humans tend to find me. He and I will cement our growing feeling for one another in no time, I'm more than confident in that," he continued as he pushed himself from the chair with a small roll of his eyes, cracking his back absently with a satisfying sigh.

"No, you go alone, clear your head. I need you to be focused if we're going to execute this plan properly. Can't have you being tense and slipping up somehow; then we'd both suffer for it."

"Well, I think you fail to see how cunning I can be. I've been a successful pirate for longer than you've been alive, I've snuck onto plenty of islands to steal treasure. I'll have you know that when I'm levelheaded, I am as slick as a snake," he countered, adjusting his cuff links professionally and adjusted his collar in the mirror, his brows raised at just how handsome he looked.

"Well then, I'll head into town on my own. Perhaps I'll snatch up a cute man and claim him as my own, at least that's what Obediah is expecting of me. What I will get is a snack. I'm sure I'll be a bit more focused with a full stomach, and that witch will be the dessert."

"I know you're joking but I doubt any of the men around here have seen someone as handsome as you before, so the likelihood of one throwing themselves at you is high, and you know how rumours spread in the country. Last thing we need is Obediah hearing from one of the country bumpkins that you had some cute man flirting with you. He won't be likely to understand that," he pointed out as a gentle warning, though the discussion wasn't one he really wanted to have at the moment, hence him offering a final smile and making his way out of the room. He wanted to spend the following hours by himself, going over in his head the plan for that night to ensure nothing went wrong. Even the smallest of mistakes could provoke suspicion from Obediah and bring everything tumbling down.

When the night came and everyone in the house was asleep was the time to put the plan into motion. Obediah, stubbornly, had locked himself in his bedroom, which would normally concern August and push him into trying to resolve the conflict, but for now, that behaviour was perfect - it kept him far away from witnessing the murder.

He had doubted that the plan was the right one until he stood in the woman's bedroom, realising in that moment how little he cared for her - she stood in the way of him getting what he wanted, and was the reason Obediah was refusing to leave for London. With her gone, he figured that things could go back to normal and Forrest might make the trip to London int he near future to focus on his own happiness.

It didn't take as long as he thought it would to finish up, having dumped the woman's remains outside on the ground to be discovered at some point in the morning. Naturally, he didn't feel remorseful whatsoever - he could feel sympathy, but not for someone that was the barrier to him selfishly getting what he wanted. With her gone, he wandered into his bedroom to change into something not stained in blood, smiling triumphantly over his shoulder at his friend.

"...We'll just stay in here until morning. It'll be fun, acting all shocked and horrified. I do like to think of myself as a good actor. In another life, I'd have loved to be on the stage, performing-- Just spend the next few hours preparing yourself for that. It won't be easy seeing Obediah upset, but we have some hours to prepare for it."

Not only was he happy to finally see a woman that he considered a nuisance out of his life, he was pleasantly surprised by how delicious she was - the cholesterol made his stomach a little ill and the cancer made the blood a bit bitter but he simply compared it to a dry wine as he neatly rolled up his shirt, only to toss it into the fireplace casually.

It was strange to have to make such a mess out of the woman. She didn't make a noise which was helpful, but the process of having to tear her apart to keep up appearances made him just a tad uncomfortable. He had spent years perfecting his craft and to make a mess like a new vampire made him feel silly. Resting his hands on his hips, he stared at the fire with a proud smile.

"I'm not as poor of an actor as Obediah is. The fact that Forrest hadn't noticed Obediah's poor acting is pretty hilarious. The one thing I think we'll both struggle with is pretending we care," he admitted with a shrug.

"I'm sure you'll find yourself caring when your boyfriend is in tears, hm? That ought to help a little- or I'm hoping it does, at least. I don't want to look like a monster out there, heartless and cold. I couldn't care less about that woman but I need to act as though I did. I'm sure she wasn't a horrid person, it's just unfortunate that she was in the way of what I wanted, I suppose," he murmured as he tossed his own bloody shirt into the fire, before flopping back down onto the chair and topping his glass up with wine. It wouldn't make him feel particularly well, but he refused to stop drinking it, especially not the expensive kind. Before he had been turned, he had wanted nothing more than to be the sort of person who could sit back with a expensive glass of wine - just because he was a vampire now didn't mean he wouldn't do that, however queasy it might make him in a few hours.

"We can go home tomorrow. Forrest won't want us lingering around during the mourning process. I'm sure that Obediah will want to come home with us too, now he has no reason to stay," he continued thoughtfully, reaching one hand out to the fire to warm himself up. "I can't imagine what those fools have done in the Society in my absence. They need my leadership or they'll be unruly and-- I can imagine it's chaos without us. It's all Obediah's fault, but I suppose we shouldn't hold this against him."

"You're right, I'm much more caring for the one I love than he is, apparently. I'm going to cry, of course - I love him, after all. That being said, it'll be interesting for me to care for him whilst he doesn't care about me - no, I'm sorry. That's selfish, isn't it? Well, killing an innocent woman is selfish but I think it's been balanced out, don't you?"

As he spoke, Padraig tugged on his sleep shirt before laying back on the bed, his eye locking on the intricate carvings on the ceiling. After a moment of silence, he sat up a tad to take once August.

"How are you going to get Forrest away from his wife?" He questioned, thankful to take the attention from his problems. "You can lure him into following you for the most part but you can't kill his wife."

"I don't think it's as difficult as you assume it would be. He told me himself that the only thing stopping him leaving was his mother. I'm sure a month of mourning her here would be enough time. He'll visit me, I'll work my charm and then he'll come back here, divorce his wife, and move back to London permanently. It sounds perfect because it is; that's what will happen, I'm sure of it," he declared confidently, staring at the fire with the same smug smile he was almost infamous for. All his life (at least, his vampire one) he was used to getting what he wanted and plans often always worked out the way he intended them to. So why did he need to worry about Isabelle when she didn't even need worrying about?

"Honestly, you sound doubtful of me again. She's not an issue to me, Padraig. I don't even need to contemplate killing her because it doesn't need to come to that. He'll divorce her and he'll be with me, eventually. A month or two and this'll all be over," the vampire nodded, turning his attention over to his long-time friend with a brow arched. "...I'll even bet that he'll be a vampire within a year. He'll be part of our Society and I'll have someone I can share my life with. It's so unfair that you've had four years of being with Obediah, and I've had nobody. Now it's my time to be happy with someone I actually... have feelings for. I do... really like him, Pat. More than I think you realise."

"You're probably right. I suppose I've always seen you as the bachelor type, hm? I've always seen you as someone who would never be caught dead once a proper, committed relationship under the cause of being held down. Perhaps it's because you've never met the one and I'm happy for you if you do. I just... don't want you to put effort into something only for you to be heartbroken, I suppose." He admitted with a shrug.

"Well, I'll hold you to it. Even if you're wrong, you'll spin it into a way that you'll be right - I know you enough. Let's just get this first hurdle done with. If Forrest finds out, he won't want to even look at you."

"And if Obediah finds out, your relationship is over and he'll abandon us at the Society. We both run a risk of losing what makes us happy, which is why it's paramount nobody finds out. We both have too much to lose. But I told you, there's no chance of that. As much as I love Obediah, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. I mean that in the kindest way; he's adorably dim, it never fails to make me smile, actually. If he can't work out things that appear as common sense to most, then I highly doubt he'll accuse us of murdering the person we know he loves more than anyone in the world. We're safe from discovery, I promise you," the younger of the vampires nodded, turning his attention back to the fire with a now confident and rather smug smile across his lips. He had no reason to worry and so he had every intention to just enjoy the satisfied feeling he now had, both in terms of fulfilling his thirst and possibly securing Forrest as his boyfriend, if everything fell neatly into place anyway.

"It'd be a good chance for you to convince Obediah about sailing; you could frame it as a way for him to escape his troubles, clear his mind and all of that. Obviously I would never let you leave if I had the chance, but I know you well enough to know you'd visit and return in a few years or so."

"Brilliant point!" He praised, his smile returning at the thought. "I would love to take him on the seas. I don't know how I would find my old crew but I'm sure I could, I've got plenty connections with the boys down at the docks. I have an open invitation for you if you would like to come, August. I think you would benefit from leaving this ol' country, sail somewhere new. Perhaps we could even sail to the America's. It's been so long since I've visited there, I'm sure so much has changed. Everyone here is so set in their ways, I just want to change things up for a bit. I love the Society but wouldn't you like to just get away for a few years?" He questioned in genuine curiosity.

"I respect whatever you choose to do, it would just be nice to go on an adventure with my closest friend. You're too busy - that's why I could never be in your position."

"Oh, hush. You know I could never leave the Society. It's too important. Without me, there's chaos. And it means too much to me for me to just abandon it. I couldn't leave the members alone, it's a family-- I understand why you go, I don't hold it against you. I'm perfectly content in London, it's where I belong. I'm not fond of change," he laughed, offering the same apologetic smile he often gave whenever the other vampire proposed the same question to him. It never did appeal to him to sail off away from the city - he was much more comfortable in the same environment and the same routine. Disrupting that would only bring him panic - just a few days away from the Society was stressing him out more than he admitted to.

He would have apologised to him further if the sound of Obediah moving about down the corridor hadn't stopped him, glancing up from the chair to see the youngest man peek his head into the room with a frown.

"...I thought I heard voices. Nice of you to invite me along to your little gathering," he mumbled sarcastically, adjusting his dressing gown as he shut the door behind himself, his eyes red and raw from, presumably, crying. "What's going on? What were you talking about-- you weren't discussing our relationship problems, were you, Pat? I... I think that's private, really."

"No, but perhaps we should talk about them," he responded, his smile faltering as he sat up fully from the bed, his eye scanning the other's with a frown. Running a hand through his hair, he offered to pat the seat beside him.

"I know you expect me to apologize for having a past with someone and I won't. What I will apologize for is for acting inappropriately in front of your family. They... didn't need to see my anger. That being said, I ask of an apology from you for acting so childishly before and for not trusting me - wait, why are you crying?" He whispered, his concern almost immediately growing after he finished babbling, his face pale. "Are you alright?"