FOLKLORE MEMBER
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
The Ministry
IBkLBBP.jpg

Or rather, just a shortening of "Ministry of Magic" because it sounded more exciting or edgy.

I've been going through my old files and found some of my documents for a Harry Potter universe roleplay that does not take place in Hogwarts and rather explores life after graduation. A great setting for that would be the place of work for a lot of witches and wizards as it has the same level of vastness, and does not confine players to age.

This would take place after the Second Wizarding War, but I'm unsure if I want to take on NPCing the characters we know and love, so at this time I'm unsure of what date.

The Plot
Six days ago, the witch Jessilda Gatherdy was arrested and charged for the public torture and murder of a Muggle by means of the Cruciatus and Killing Curse. She is currently held within Azkaban Prison to await her trial. While not much has been revealed of her preliminary interrogation, her family believes her to have been under the influence of the Imperius Curse.

It has been quite the cleanup, but most traces of the incident have been completely wiped from Muggle minds, though it is still quite the stir within the magical community. The Daily Prophet has released multiple interviews with the Gatherdy family, and an ongoing press investigation that has, at times, come to clash with the more official investigation at the Ministry of Magic.

A witness to the crime was a Squib by the name of Alice D'Avignon, who has since come through in a controversial interview with the Daily Prophet that spoke out against the Statute of Secrecy, stating that had the Muggles been aware of what to look for, the Muggle's death would have been avoided. She even stated that had she been provided the means to help as an aware non-magic, then the incident would have ended very differently.

There is still a mess that needs to be cleaned, and whispers of unrest on the horizon.

Please let me know your interest! I am looking for a group willing to dedicate to a roleplay that will likely take some time, that enjoy writing multiple paragraphs per post, and want to collaborate with your fellow players to push character development forward. Iwaku rules apply, so while we are playing adults who may fall into a romance, nothing should be done that would need to be in the star section.

Real life is the most important thing, overall, right next to having fun.

Last edited:
I mean. I'm here for it yeah

• Spicy
Reactions: Effervescent
I'm a little busy, but I do love me some Harry Potter.

A non school Wizarding World RP? Count me in!

is this going to have realistic faceclaims?

Colour me curious. I'd like to see where this go's and how its layed out.

I'll be drafting up the sign-up thread this week and I'll post a link here.

Based on what I'm getting from the MoM timeline Harry Potter becomes an Auror right out of Hogwarts at age 17, which complicates not involving him as a NPC.

Now, I've never read the Cursed Child, nor seen it. It's technically canon, but as I'm not familiar with the content and am not particularly fond of what I do know of the content, I'm not going to really reference or care to include this particular bit in its entirety.

Based on what is planned, it either needs to take place after the First Wizarding War, but before the books (1982-1990) or it can be set in present day. It could possibly also take place during the First Wizarding War as a sort of side-issue that spreads the Ministry thin, and could potentially be tied in with the happenings of the First Wizarding War.

Let me know which era interests you the most! If we go with present day, we will likely need to face that Harry Potter and Hermione Granger will have appearances. I'll do my best to make it vague and canon if we do present day. If we go with the past, we'll have a bit more creative freedom for the Ministry side of things, but I'll definitely have to brush up on some history.

I'm alright with the present era. If it helps, Harry Potter might be out of the country doing another job for the ministry.

• Useful
I'm a vote for present era too!

Present era is quite good and I'm all in favor of ignoring cursed child.

Reactions: Kjbivins
Personal opintion: Present era, Igonoring cursed child. However, Considering most of this is likely to take place in the UK. We could always handwave the main characters from the books with a "They are on assignment elsewhere." (I'm sure there's some plausable explination as to why, I mean Dark arts cultists somewhere on the continent? or well, anything like that.) That way we can avoid them making appearances and have a little more creative freedom.

• Useful
It looks like present era, ignoring Cursed Child, is what's in favor. It's been 22 years since 1998, which was when Harry became an Auror, and the end of the Second Wizarding War.

The year 2020 is apparently when Harry becomes the department head, but that's according to the Cursed Child. There are a few possibilities for dealing with him, and your suggestions are good ideas.

Also, important to note, according to Rowling's canon, Muggle sicknesses would not be of a concern for witches and wizards. So while the world is, in present day, dealing with COVID19 concerns, the Ministry of Magic barely has a thought to it.

Reactions: Custodiet Teh
Considering the Theme we're looking at. That would actually be something that might come up "We could actually stop muggles from dying in droves from this." As a bleeding heart argument.

• Useful
If the WW didn't step in and risk violating magical secrecy for the plague, Spanish flu, or a myriad of others. I doubt they'd be entertaining the idea of intervening with this. They probably don't even know it's going on.

• Useful
If the WW didn't step in and risk violating magical secrecy for the plague, Spanish flu, or a myriad of others. I doubt they'd be entertaining the idea of intervening with this. They probably don't even know it's going on.
Oh I agree with you. but The plot/premise is that if the muggle had been aware/known what to look for, or the aware non-mage had been given a way of helping. Lives would have been saved. That's the thing that's currently under descussion. All I'm saying is that if you're making an argument for saving lives, there's a further argument to that point. Its more a "this might be intresting." observation than a "this is something that MUST happen." statement.

Ahh! I get it now! I totally misinterpreted what you were saying, apologies. No no, that is curious. The plot really does open the floodgate on everything.

There's a lot of potential there to aid to the sympathy of Muggle plights the plot will take. Before, the Statute seemed almost as a way to protect both sides, but in current times and social advancements, this would be a new moral conflict for the wizarding world to consider.

Reactions: Custodiet Teh