The Many Shades of Reality

Hirai, after having a small party in the shower, hopped out to see that Amara was asleep on a chair in the corner. She grabbed her towel from the rack next to the shower, smiling at the girl who must have been exhausted to fall asleep so easily. Why not let her rest a while more?

While Amara slept, Hirai dressed herself slowly and readied herself for the day. Several times she changed her outfit until she was wearing a short indigo silk dress and white sandals with a massive blue jewel on each. Girly as usual.

"I put lip gloss on you!" Hirai giggled maniacally, reaching her hand out to Amara to help her up.

"Ikall should be done with breakfast by now. I laid out a new toothbrush and toothpaste over there by my sink. I'll give you a few private minutes. Meet me outside the door soon!"

And she skipped off to stand outside the closed bathroom door.

When Amara would come out, Hirai would practically drag her into the kitchen. The air was full of fantastic smells; bacon, biscuits, eggs, omelettes... was that the smell of cinnamon rolls, too? Yep. The bar was piled full of dishes. It was literally a buffet, with drinks included. Pancakes, waffles, cereal, and a few other normal breakfast foods seemed to be missing. Three plates, forks, spoons, and knives were laid neatly in front of three adjacent chairs.

[SPOILI] ((Like so... with a black floor.))

Awesome-Kitchen-Luxury-Home-Plans-Interiors78.png

[/SPOILI]

Ikall sat at the bar looking miffed, resting his chin on his hand.

"About damn time. I assume you had fun?" His eyes looked over Hirai and immediately he sighed. "Go change into real clothes. Business clothes. Today is important. Amara, I'd like to speak with you for a bit."

Ikall now crossed his arms as Hirai glared at him. Eventually she strutted off, offended.

I was jostled from my sleep when Hirai suddenly announced she'd put lipgloss on me. I blinked a few times and awoke as I looked at myself in the mirror. Had I really fallen asleep so soon? Geeze, what was going on. I shook my head faintly and followed Hirai out teh bathroom toward the real kitchen area. I stopped short when I smelled all the delicious smells. My stomach gave an involuntary growl as I took a seat and stared at everything. I'd never seen so much food before! Even growing up on the farm with such a big family! Ikall sat at the bar with his usual grumpy face on. I glanced toward him and strutted over to an open seat as he gave his hello.

"About damn time. I assume you had fun?"

I was half tempted to reply with a snippy answer, but it bit my tongue and instead reached for a biscuit as I took a bite. I glanced at Ikall with a raised brow a moment trying to read him, but I got little aside from his usual annoyed scowl. Well...might as well just fire everything off at once. I assumed it would a)probably annoy Ikall which would entertain me to a point and b)keep me from forgetting to ask anything important. Though I'd still probably forget, and I would eventually apologize for my obstinate behavior with Ikall, but there was just something about him that made me act this way. You know those people who you don't really dislike but you just have a tendency to burst into sarcasm mode whenever around for no real reason other than habitual instinct? Yeah that was Ikall for me. I really hoped he didn't think I was like this all the time...mostly.

"So you and Hirai have been spying on my 'spirit energy' and decided to initiate me as your new 'partner' in whatever thing you two work in? If I supposedly have such a 'strong' spirit or something why was I left alone so long? And why are you so mean to Hirai? She is a sweet and kind girl who obviously respects you very much! If I accept becoming your 'student' or whatever you'd like to call it...what does this entail? Are you going to let my family be killed as well? How am I to tell my family that I'm immortal? Please tell me more about this so I can make a sound decision. Why are you always in such a bad mood? Why me? and also...your biscuits are too dry...you need to add more milk to the mixture"

With that all said I let out a soft sigh and waited with an innocent grin on my face to see how Ikall would react. I was slightly surprised he'd stayed calm the entire time and just let me go. Then again...somehow it didn't surprise me either. Blinking a moment I decided to try and redeem myself a little. I rubbed the back of my head and sighed, "Sorry...guess I'm just nervous? The food tastes good as well" I said as I simply reached forward for my drink and took a small sip. The coolness of the liquid felt good on my dry throat. It hadn't occurred to me how long since I'd last eaten since I never returned home after my shift to fix dinner. So, I started to scoop some more food onto a plate as I listened to Ikall talk.

She brought up the worst things, this Amara lady. If she was worthy of being called a lady, which at this point Ikall wasn't so sure she was. What else was he to feel, though, when she mentioned Hirai's family and assumed he was somehow cruel to Hirai? Her tone was just... just... bratty, and disrespectful. Most humans had enough sense to see that he was very powerful, and very old. But this one either couldn't sense it or didn't care enough to stop being difficult. And he was used to dealing with Hirai, who was bratty in a different way, but he was fond of Hirai and therefore inclined to accept her despite her being a moody brat. But he had no such intimate attachment to this disrespectful girl in front of him.

He wanted to yell at her. It was a frequent urge of his, to yell at Amara, but he always managed to keep calm. He hoped that it annoyed her.

"I'll go very slowly so that maybe you will understand most of what I'm saying. First of all; yes, we were watching you. I can't recall for how long, because we are busy people. We did not choose you, we were given a random assignment, you, to check up on and see if you were worthy. We decided that you were. In regards to your Spirit, it was not awakened, and you had no idea that you were different from any other human. There was only a very minuscule chance that anything out of the Abyss could find you. "

He seemed rather bored with this lecture, but grabbed a piece of apple and continued, taking his time to answer between bites.

"Hirai was an early bloomer. She thought something was weird about herself, because she did strange things, saw strange things. Her spirit was partially awakened. That is the only reason they found her and not you."

The apple piece devoured, he crossed his arms, leaned back in his chair and stared at Amara for a moment.

" And by the way, I can't help but to interrupt myself to say that I hate making bread products, and they don't seem fond of me either. Biscuits, pancakes, almost any pastry. But I'm glad you like everything else." After this note, he sighed and continued.

"Second. I am not "mean" to my partner. I am strict with her because if I am not she will run rampant and get herself in trouble. Today we will probably go into one of the most important Narenten Government buildings. I want her to look appropriate," he explained. "I know that she is kind and sweet, but she's also too energetic for her own good. Someone has to tether her to the earth, and that's me. Third. Becoming my student, partner, a Shadow... whatever it is you're really asking, essentially entails becoming immortal, learning about the real world, learning about yourself and how you can save lives, and living with us unless you prefer to be put into the Narenten System of Partner Seeking, where you could end up with something that was never human. You will, though, be required to live in this world except for visits home that you can make whenever you aren't busy here. And we aren't usually busy."

"I have told you that in this apartment or in the company of myself or Hirai, you will be safe. Period. Well, maybe not with Hirai... Best just stick with me. As far as I saw, the only Abyss creature that knew you were gifted was the man in the diner and his spirit. And he is long gone," Ikall droned on, waving his hand dismissively at the last statement. "My point is that you have no darkness in you, the darkness was too late reaching you, and if you choose to become a Shadow they will have no reason to pursue you or your family. However, if you refuse and return to your human life, they will find you, torture you, make you Dark and use you to harm others. Including your family. Hirai might try to protect them in that case, but she is even more vulnerable than you. They would love nothing more than to make her Dark."

Now the atmosphere suddenly shifted from informational and relaxed to detached and cold as Ikall leaned forward, resting his forearms flat on the table and staring coolly into Amara's eyes.

"You have no reason to be nervous," he began, speaking in a clipped tone, "Unless you continue to mention anything related to Hirai's family or past. Don't assume that you have her permission to talk about such issues like they are nothing just because she informed you of them. Though you may be safe from everything in the world when you are with me, there are two things that can harm you if you are not careful. That disrespectful and careless mouth of yours is one thing. The other danger is myself if you ever hurt my --possibly our-- partner. No matter how much I care for your safety and wellbeing, it will be a very bad day if you decide to use that mouth against her."

Ikall shoved his chair back, stretched his back, and stared at Amara again. The atmosphere was immediately back to relaxed when he shook his finger at her seriously and gave a short quip in a tone high-pitched and rickety like a grandmother's.

"Young lady, I am hundreds of years older than you! Don't you disrespect me, you little waif!"

And back to a completely straight face like nothing had happened.

"I'm never really grumpy. Just stern. That dress looks lovely on you, by the way. I will return in about ten minutes to see if you have made a decision, Amara."

And off he went, grabbing Hirai's hand as she exited the bathroom and dragging her into his room.

I munched quietly on the food as I listened to Ikall speak. For a moment I was a little peeved at Ikall and the way he was responding to my rapid fire questions, but as he went on and I quietly listened (I'm sure my cheeks were slightly tinted from holding my tongue) I calmed myself. He was answering the best he could, I was sure. Honestly age never mattered to me, I'd always been one to speak my mind, but I'd also always been raised to be polite (even if I wasn't all the time). Perhaps living in the city the few years had slightly jaded me and changed my personality a bit. Such was life, though. You adapt to survive, plain and simple. Plus on the other hand I felt some satisfaction that I was annoying him to some extent.

I knew that Ikall was serious about his threat, but somehow it didn't phase me much. I knew that I wouldn't do anything to harm Hirai, she reminded me too much of my sisters. Besides, from seeing Hirai's reaction to explaining her relation and story with Ikall, and now Ikall's explanation as to his actions with Hirai, it was clear that there was more to these two than what met the eyes. I wasn't blind to that, and I wouldn't dare come between something as strong as the bond these two seemed to possess. If anything, I once more felt that I was still the black sheep among the flock. Perhaps that was just my overall role to play in any life situation, but I'd just have to accept it. In a sense, I envied the two for what they had. Certainly I had a strong connection with my family, but...that didn't seem to much matter these days. I'd never really had much luck in the 'connection' department as it was. My eyes followed Ikall as he left after giving the compliment and the fake grandma approach. I sighed when I was alone and rested my head on the counter, my food only nibbled upon.

As I was left there my mind wandered momentarily back to the dream that had awoken me. Something about it was bugging me now, and the fact that Ikall mentioned I had no idea I was different from other humans. In that sense he was mistaken a bit. I identify myself as a human through and through and always have, yes. But when I was a child I was quite frequently sick, and often wondered why I wasn't allowed out like the other kids, like my siblings. My parents always told me that I was special, I was different, and fragile. I never thought anything of it, and I still don't...but maybe they were trying to tell me something?

I also vaguely remembered having a long period where I'd play with my 'imaginary' friends on a daily basis. They were as real to me as Ikall and Hirai...well as in they were physically there to me. Someone I could interact with and play with. My siblings never seemed to notice them...but I swear sometimes my parents did but they refused to acknowledge they did. My imaginary friends were more than play friends, though, and I knew it then, but I'd convinced myself over the years it was just a normal childhood phase. Now, I was starting to wonder if there was something I'd missed. The woman in my dream. She looked like me, but was she really me? And that dark creature with the red glowing eyes. I was always afraid of seeing thsoe when I was a kid, convinced they were real, but that's why I had my imaginary friends. To protect me from them! Then, one day, the scary creatures just disappeared and my imaginary friends faded away as well.

No, this was just silly, not logical. It was just a dream, and I was just a mere human who apparently had some sort of spiritual gift. Yeah, that's normal--

Well, moping about this wasn't going to get me anywhere. I had nothing to really lose by accepting the offer, and I honestly saw nothing much to gain either, but at least it would be a change of life. I was tired of living in the city at the bottom of the ladder. Plus...it was lonely there. Even if I wasn't peachy about Ikall, at least Hirai would be welcome company. I didn't have to like Ikall, and I had a feeling one day I'd learn to tolerate and respect him (quite possibly the same of him for me). Ten minutes, he'd said, but I didn't need that long.

Moving from the kitchen in the direction of the bedroom, I knocked on Ikall's door and waited. Well, might as well try to make right so that my life isn't an ENTIRE living hell for a while. Plus, I really shouldn't have been so rude/stubborn with Ikall. He was just 'doing his job' right? I gave a polite bow to Ikall, "I apologize for my behavior. In my defense you're telling me soemthing that shouldn't even be real or possible in a normal human world through normal human logic. However...I think i've felt for a while that there was more than 'normal' to the world and reality wasn't all it seemed. I do appreciate the help with the man from the diner. I also appreciate the hospitality you are giving me and hope I may one day repay it. As for your offer..." I trailed off as I drew my gaze from Ikall to Hirai, "I guess I will accept" my gaze reluctantly drew back to Ikall. Though I was content with my decision, I wondered if I'd made the right one.

Ikall and Hirai were sitting on the edge of the bed looking rather bored when their new partner finally arrived. They listened, Ikall with a blank face and Hirai with her mouth open slightly. The second Amara accepted, Hirai wiggled where she sat, a grin growing on her face while Ikall just nodded.

"You're welcome, and you're forgiven. You can repay us by being loyal and obedient. I may be bossy, but it is for your own wellbeing in the end," he stated, then stood and placed his fists on his hips. "Now, Amara, I have a few more questions regarding your decision."

Hirai's grin faded. She stared at Ikall in annoyance, probably wishing he would just let them leave the apartment.

"Which of the terms are you accepting? To become a Shadow, an immortal like Hirai and myself, able to access the whole of your spiritual powers? Or to just become our partner at first and learn how to use your meager amount of accessible power as a human? I would recommend you first become a Shadow so that you will instantly be out of harm's way and learn to use all of your gift as opposed to just a little."

I thought just accepting would be enough, but of course Ikall had failed to tell me more. I stared a moment blankly at him and blinked a few times before I sighed faintly and crossed my arms over my chest, "well" I began, "My mom used to say a little goes a long way...but I'm tired of having to be the hopeless and helpless one...I suppose...I might as well get this over and done with and just become a Shadow then right?"

I hoped this was the right answer. I gave a meager smile to Hirai and then simply looked over at Ikall. I still didn't like the male, but there was an air about him that demanded a form of respect that I couldn't shake. Still, he seemed trustworthy enough, if not a bit stern and moody in my opinion. I still wondered what this 'becoming a shadow' thing entailed. Would it be painful? Would I have to be put under some sort of voo doo spell? I imagined the term immortal meant I'd be stuck looking as I did for the rest of time. I assumed it could be worse...but still. No matter. i needed to start taking more chances in life, and stop being the wall flower. Perhaps this was my chance.

Hirai gave a small grin to Amara, but seemed preoccupied by other thoughts. Ikall watched Amara, trying to figure out what she was thinking.

"Do you understand what becoming a Shadow means? The immortality, the process? I don't want to change you if you don't know what it means, because if I change you and your knowledge is lacking, then I'll have to hear you whine about it for an eternity. I know Hirai also explained what it means to become a Shadow, but I want you to be positive this is what you want. So if you have any questions, concerns, etcetera... now is the time to speak up."

Hirai and Ikall both seemed so serious, sitting there on the edge of bed with their eyes on Amara, so it was obvious that it was an important decision. There were no giggles from Hirai, no smirks from Ikall. Just pure stillness.

I glanced between the two as they seemed to stare me down seriously. A shiver went down my spine as my arms instinctively wrapped around myself, "Becoming a shadow I am becoming what you and Hirai are. I will no longer be a human anymore, but a Shadow. You will awaken my full potential and allow my body to house those abilities, and I will become immortal as a result, yes? hirai referenced this process like a bread recipe. Where I'm assuming the person who changes me will be part of the 'mixture' and then comes the 'baking' process to make me a full shadow in complete control of these abilities..."

I trailed off a moment as I waited for a response to my speel as to whether I was anywhere close to actually understanding this or not. I was starting to feel like the awkward child I used to be. Different, and an unwanted outcast from the other children. Though I could enjoy Hirai's company, I felt a sense of judging from her. And Ikall, I couldn't read him at all. I just knew he was quietly scrutinizing me and probably didn't like me much by this point. In a sense this feeling was mutual.

The two didn't wait long after Amara had finished to turn to each other and communicate their approval or disapproval silently. Then Ikall turned to Amara and nodded, looking content and even pleased with her answer. Hirai as well looked like she approved.

"Alright. You've got the basics covered, and that is what matters," he said, standing and pulling Hirai to her feet as well. "It's important information. There will be a very short test of your understanding before I am given the permission to change you. The Narenten government doesn't want any unauthorized Shadows being created. We have some other errands to run while we're out too, but that's the most important. We'll probably end up shopping, too..."

He glowered at the floor and shook his head at the thought of shopping. He hated shopping. It was better when he wasn't the one trying on clothes, though. Ikall passed Amara, already heading for the door while whistling a jolly tune.

Hirai walked over to Amara and looked up at her, head tilted in curiosity. "Are you ready to leave now? Do you need anything?"

She seemed genuinely excited by the look on her face, but a sense of restlessness was portrayed by her twiddling fingers and tapping feet, and that could have been due to her desire to leave the apartment or anxiety about something else.

Well it seemed I had some sort of approval from the two. It seemed there was still more to do before this entire process was over. I inwardly sighed as I watched the two carefully. Ikall mentioned shopping and I could see the distaste cross his face like any typical male. I'm afraid my lips may have given away a faint trace of a smile in amusement, but I quickly let that slip away. Hirai seemed anxious but asked if I needed anything. Really I didn't. I shook her my head and nodded toward the door, I'm ready whenever you two are" I simply stated. For now my job was going to be to follow the two, I had a feeling. Find out what was really going on and what I was about to get myself into.

((sorry for delay and crappiness :/ ))