The Lost Soul

"No, I'm good. I think I'm just going to stay up here for a little while longer," he replied. He was speaking as if the crow couldn't just fly over to him and as if the cat couldn't jump.

Raine shrugged. "Suit yourself." She turned to the fridge and started pulling stuff out for dinner.

The fridge interested him enough for him to get off the chair and right up next to her. Forget personal space. "Whatcha got in here?" He asked, scanning the contents.

Raine raised an eyebrow at him before shrugging. "The usual things. No heads-in-jars if that's what you're wondering." She pulled out some chicken and vegetables.

He scoffed. "I wasn't worried about that." After she had pulled out the chicken and vegtables, he kept the fridge open, still looking at what was inside. After a few seconds, he rummaged around.

The contents of the fridge were mostly what she said, normal. Some eggs, fruit, a couple of fruit juices and condiments, bread, etc. Mostly. Some vegetables and fruit he couldn't identify were also in the fridge. Raine hummed a little as she went to start a rice cooker before beginning to chop up the vegetables she had pulled out.

He pointedly avoided the fruits that he couldn't identify and that didn't look familiar. He grabbed a piece of fruit, an apple, and examined it before taking a bite out of it and closing it, moving to sit on the chair he had been standing on mere moments before. He watched her work, not bothering with questions.

Raine pulled out a pan and turned on the stove. After she was done with the vegetables she started cutting up the chicken. She put oil in the hot pan before putting all her cut-up things in the pan, humming all the while. Ebony licked his lips as he watched. Coal had flown inside and was now on the table, also watching.

For some strange, strange reason, he felt tempted to just start talking to the raven. However, that made him feel insane, so he refrained from doing so. Eventually, he got bored so he got up and started to wander around the house.

The house was seemingly small, with only the two main rooms and a small bathroom to make up the lower floor. Stairs between the kitchen and living room led upstairs. The upstairs was very different. It consisted of an impossibly long hallway, doors covering each side of it. Raine shouted at him from the kitchen. "Do try to not get lost."

Thinking she was joking, he rolled his eyes and wandered up the stairs, staring wide-eyed and the hallway that looked like it stretched away forever. He slowly started to make his way down the hallway, trailing his fingers along the wall and the doors.

The floorboards creaked slightly under his feet. He hadn't wandered for a long when Raine called out. "Dinner!"

He hesitated, taking his hand away from the wall. He was tempted to open one of the doors, but he could revisit this later. After he ate. Speaking of eating, he looked down to his other hand, where he still had his apple. He couldn't believe he had already forgotten about it. After a long moment, he turned around and began what he thought was the way back.

Raine prepared four plates before stepping to the stairs and crossing her arms as she waited for him. "He better have not gotten lost..."

He took another bite of his apple, stretching his hand out again as he walked back down the hallway. He hadn't gone far; there was no way he had already gotten lost, right? He had walked in a straight line.

When he took a while Raine decided to go up the stairs. She quickly spotted him a ways down and sighed a little. "Hurry up, would you? I'll teach you the trick to navigating these halls after dinner."

"It's a hallway," he replied. "There's no way it's that hard to navigate. Also...where are the rooms?" He eventually made his way to her. "Smells good," he offered.

Raine chuckled. "You'll need to know which room is yours. And every door is a room, of some kind. Some are more... magical, than others." She turned and went down the stairs, "I cook a lot so it should."

He sighed, putting his free hand on his face and pulling it down, his face stretching down. "Ugh, that sounds like a lot of work." He wasn't about to bother with the whole 'magic' thing right now.

Raine snorted. "You don't have to learn anything you don't want to while you stay here." She shrugged as she walked to the table, sitting down in front of one of the two plates still full of food, "You'll be leaving once your memories start coming back."