1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Historical, fantasy, magic, horror, supernatural, survival, vampires, demons, pirates, mutants, ghosts, romance (FxF, MxM, MxF) (Romance should be part of the plot and not the whole plot in itself), etc.
Today I sat down and translated a Swedish oral presentation (I did in high school) into English :3 I must say that it didn't sound as awesome in English as it did in Swedish ^^' But I was very proud over this presentation when I did it and I got an A from my Swedish teacher so now I wanna share it :3 I don't mind if you leave your thoughts about the subject or wanna discuss it or wanna ask something about it ^^

The theme on the presentation was 'a journey'. Most people did a presentation about traveling somewhere in the future or in the past and others did about growing up and such. I wanted to do something different though ^^

Here it is

I am going to talk about the biggest journey we will ever do, the journey some long for and others fear. The one no one can avoid to do at some point of their existence. Its either our last journey or it will be a continuation on the journey we have already started. Maybe that's when the real journey starts. I shall talk about the journey from life to death.

Many of us fear death, even though its something we can't avoid. We probably fear it since we don't know what will happen after we died, humans often fear what they don't understand. There's probably a lot of people that sees death as the last journey, when you die you will never wake up again. You will disappear into a vacuum of nothingness without memories, feelings or a soul. Everything just disappears. This is of course a scary thought for many, that everything will just end. Because if we just cease to exist without having known about our existence in life, what did we then live for? Doesn't that make life meaningless?

But what if death only is the beginning of our journey, or the continuation of the journey we already started when we were born?

I have read a book written by Gabrielle Zevin that's named Elsewhere. It's about 15 year old Liz whom dies in an accident. She wakes up in 'the afterlife' where everyone ages backwards starting from the age they died. When they have reached the age of a newborn again they are sent back to the world of the living without any memories of their previous life.

I think this is a very interesting way to look at it, because if it were like that then we would be living in a circle that would never end. Which would mean that the journey would never end and there would never be anything to fear. Some people might fear death their whole life but then realize that all the energy they put on fear was wasted since there was nothing to be afraid of.

All of us have different opinions about what will happen after death, but everyone of us can probably agree that it is a journey we all must experience. The journey can be beautiful, but also horrible, which makes me think
about this picture from Crysis 2

crysis-2-four.jpg

New York is destroyed and in ruins, one can assume that many people have died, but even though it is so sad and brutal there is still something beautiful in this picture. Despite the devastation this picture still makes me feel calm and peaceful. Maybe death is like that, even though it seems horrible for the rest of the world it might be peaceful and beautiful for the dead person.

But the only way of really knowing is die yourself. But that doesn't mean that we should throw ourselves head first from a cliff because we are curious. Death is something that will come to us all eventually, and we should live our life's happily until that day comes. Because if death would be the end of our journey, if our existence would be erased, then shouldn't we have done something with our life's that we can be proud over, so that we don't have to lie on our deathbed with regrets?

I really wanted to picture death as mysterious, beautiful and horrible at the same time. I hope I did a good job ^^' As I said, the English version lost some good, strong words that I used.

Here's the Swedish version for you who knows Swedish:

"Jag ska tala om den största resan vi någonsin kommer att göra, den som vissa ser fram emot och andra fruktar. Den som ingen kan undvika att göra någon gång under sin existens. Det är antingen vår sista resa eller så är det fortsättningen på den resa vi redan har påbörjat, kanske så är det först då vår värkliga resa börjar. Jag ska tala om resan till dödens rike.

Vi fruktar många döden, trots att det är något ingen utav oss kan undvika, vi fruktar den antagligen för att vi inte vet vad som händer när vi har dött, människor brukar trots allt frukta det de inte förstår. Många ser det antagligen som den allra sista resan, när man dör så vaknar man aldrig upp igen. Man försvinner in i ett vakuum av ingenting utan minnen, utan känslor, utan själ. Allting bara försvinner. Självklart skrämmer den tanken många, att det bara kommer att ta slut, för om vi bara slutar existera utan att ha vetat om vår egna existens, varför levde vi då? Gör inte det livet rätt så meningslöst?

Men tänk om döden bara är början på vår resa eller fortsättningen på resan vi påbörjade när vi föddes?
Jag har läst en bok av Gabrielle Zevin (2005) som heter någon annanstans. Den handlar om 15åriga Liz som dör i en cykel olycka, hon vaknar upp i "livet efter detta" där alla åldras baklänges från den ålder dom var när de dog. När de väl har blivit nyfödda igen så skickades dom tillbaka till ett nytt liv utan att minnas något utav deras tidigare liv.

Jag tycker att detta är ett mycket intressant sätt att se på det, för om det skulle vara så, så skulle vi leva i en cirkel som aldrig tar slut, vilket betyder att resan aldrig kommer att ta slut, och då skulle vi inte ha någonting att frukta. Vissa människor kanske går runt och fruktar döden under hela livet men upptäcker att de kunde ha lagt den energin på så mycket annat för det fanns aldrig något att vara rädd för.

Alla har vi olika uppfattningar om vad som händer när man dött, men vi kan nog alla vara överens om att det är en resa i sig att dö. Resan kan vara vacker men också otroligt hemsk vilket får mig att tänka på en bild från Crysis 2. (visar en bild)
New york är förstört och i ruiner, man kan anta att många människor har dött, men trots att det är så sorgligt och brutalt så ser jag fortfarande något otroligt vackert i den här bilden.
Trots förstörelsen så känner jag mig väldigt lycklig utav att se den här bilden, jag känner mig lugn och fridfull. Kanske är döden på det sättet också, även om det ser hemskt ut för resten av världen så kan det vara något vackert eller fridfullt för den döde personen.

Men det enda sättet att säkert få veta vad som händer efter döden är att dö, men det betyder inte att vi borde slänga oss huvudstupa utför en klippa bara för att vi är nyfikna. Döden kommer så småningom till oss alla och tills det är dags bör man leva livet till fullo, för om det skulle vara så att vi bara slutar existera efter att vi dött, borde vi inte ha gjort något vettigt med våra liv så vi inte behöver ångra våra handlingar när vi ligger på dödsbädden? "