The interesting facts topic!

M

Mid

If you've spoken to me in chat, you will notice that at times I make random comments about things I've just read/saw/heard out of pure interest and to see what other peoples thoughts on particular topics are. I find it fun to learn (sometimes) and also share with others (go figure). So, what's the point of this topic? Basically post interesting things and talk about interesting things! Yes, knowledge people, knowledge is power to everything! So let's begin...(Also, if you're going to post anything that would be deemed mature in content...spoilers and warnings are needed, thanks.)

Humans and giraffes both have seven vertebrae bones in the neck. It's not unusual for a mammal to have 7 vertebra bones in the neck but it's interesting that the long neck of a full grown giraffe has the same amount.

If you are severely scared of going to the dentist or having dental work, you may actually have a phobia called odontophobia. (Totally suits me XD)

Almonds are members of the rose flower family or rosaceae family. The peach is also a member of the rose family.

Cold weather makes fingernails grow faster.

On December 16th 1811 the mighty Mississippi river began to flow backwards due to a powerful earthquake.

With mammals, no animal has a longer pregnancy term than that of the african elephant which is documented at an average of 22 months.

A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.

If you keep your eyes open by force when you sneeze, you might pop an eyeball out.

A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

A person can live without food for about a month, but only about a week without water.
If the amount of water in your body is reduced by just 1%, you'll feel thirsty.
If it's reduced by 10%, you'll die.

Hot water is heavier than cold.

The wick of a trick candle has small amounts of magnesium in them. When you light the candle, you are also lighting the magnesium. When someone tries to blow out the flame, the magnesium inside the wick continues to burn and, in just a split second (or two or three), relights the wick.

Sharks and rays are the only animals known to man that don't get cancer. Scientists believe this has something to do with the fact that they don't have bones, but cartilage.

Many sharks lay eggs, but hammerheads give birth to live babies that look like very small duplicates of their parents. Young hammerheads are usually born headfirst, with the tip of their hammer-shaped head folded backward to make them more streamlined for birth.

You can tell the sex of a horse by its teeth. Most males have 40, females have 36.

On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily.

Orcas (killer whales) kill sharks by torpedoing up into the shark's stomach from underneath, causing the shark to explode.

A tiny amount of liquor on a scorpion will make it instantly go mad and sting itself to death.

The mask used by Michael Myers in the original "Halloween" was a Captain Kirk mask painted white.

Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying!

Beetles taste like apples, wasps like pine nuts, and worms like fried bacon.

What is called a "French kiss" in the English speaking world is known as an "English kiss" in France.

In 1386, a pig in France was executed by public hanging for the murder of a child

Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian, and had only ONE testicle.

Honey is the only food that does not spoil. Honey found in the tombs of Egyptian pharaohs has been tasted by archaeologists and found edible.

You're born with 300 bones, but by the time you become an adult, you only have 206

Your eyes are an extention of your brain.

what we can "now" is 8 terraseconds in the real past.

your sneeze has the force of a hurricane

The name for the phobia "fear of long words" is hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia. May I note that I feel bad for anyone who has it if they find out what it's called? >>;

Strawberries are not actually fruit or berries at all. They're the enlarged ends of the plant's stamen (the area/organ of a flowering plant that produces pollen).