The Halfling and the Exile

Status
Not open for further replies.
"No." Isaac said quickly, and only a reaffirmed sense of control kept him from shouting it. Instead it came out sounding strained and almost sad. "No, I don't want you to leave - I-I'm sorry I was angry. I just couldn't figure out a way to explain to you why I thought this place would be good for us, for you, and - I should have found a better way to explain it. I'm sorry I'm a terrible Alpha. I never wanted to lead, and Im still trying to learn how. I just thought . . . once we had control of your vampire side, we could be free, like you wanted. . . I should've thought more about how getting to that point this way would make you feel. . . Will you ever forgive me?" It felt like she wouldn't.

((Sorry, was getting ready for work, for which I'm leaving in about ten minutes))

"I already forgave you," she murmured, then she paused thoughtfully. "I've been thinking, Isaac. Tomas' wooden arrows nearly killed me, and I know that silver hurts too - I got cut once a few years ago. That means that instead of being stronger from being a Halfling, I'm just weak to both sides. I don't fit in anywhere.. I don't know if I can ever fully control both sides. With the moon and the blood cravings.. It's just going to keep being one thing after another. I don't want you to have to keep dealing with this."

Isaac's expression as Niari finished speaking was hardly short of appalled, lips parted on an affronted sort of gasp, brows drawn into a confused, offended arch. "I am not the sort to toss out the smallest of the litter for being weaker." He insisted, fingers curling into the bedspread beneath him. She should have known that. They had held onto Arcady despite her size and despite her injuries and despite her being rejected by everyone else. "The weak are to be protected by those strong enough to care for them and - and I had hoped I was strong enough. . . Maybe I'm not. Maybe I'm the weakest of us all and we'll fail at every attempt we make - but that doesn't mean we don't make them. Together."

Niari blinked at Isaac as he gave her a horrified expression. She simply watched him, listening as he explained he was not about to turn her out of their 'pack' just because she was twice as vulnerable as he was. As he went on, she scooted over closer to him and hesitantly snuggled up against his side while he was still talking about trying together. She didn't curl an arm around him or nuzzle into his chest as she wanted, she just curled up next to him, absorbing the faint heat from his body that she could feel. Even that was a small comfort for the Halfling.

"Okay, Isaac," she murmured softly.

Isaac frowned at the ceiling for a long time, thoughts swirling 'round and 'round in his head and unable to get a grasp on things. Maybe it was useless, and they were doomed for failure. But what other choice did they have? They needed to work together. Even if they died together, it would be better than dying alone.

". . . Is that you trying to please me," he murmured finally, looking up at the ceiling still and feeling very tired, "Or do you actually agree?"

"I agree," she said quietly, noting how he didn't look at her or acknowledge that she had moved closer to him. For some reason it broke her heart to be disregarded so, though she knew that she deserved it. She hesitated, then sat up and pulled away, going to sit in a chair off to the side instead. Isaac deserved his space.

Isaac was almost tempted to be happy, but then the vague feeling of warmth near his side was gone. Rubbing at his eyes a bit, Isaac turned to face the chair Niari had appropriated, lying on his side with a hand under his head. ". . . But do I still disgust you?" He asked softly after a moment to think, expression more tired than anything. "You can't seem to decide whether you want to be near me or not. . . It's all right. I promise not to yell if you come closer again."

"You've never disgusted me, Isaac," she mumbled, looking down at her hands. She frowned, trying not to accuse herself of being the reason he seemed so exhausted. He needed a nap. The night would be long and full of terrors with the full moon on the rise. She sighed softly at the thought, trying not to imagine the pain that was in store. They would have to figure out what to do with Arcady.

"You should sleep.."

((Sorry there's big gaps between replies. I'm binge watching anime lol I'm also going to a play soon so I may only have one or two more replies in me tonight))

Isaac shook his head in refusal, even while he stifled a yawn behind his hand. "I'm fine. Too much to do." The moon was tonight and they needed to lock up and stay away from everyone. It would be difficult, not being able to run free, but even in the human town they couldn't risk running into his pack. "I know you don't like it, but we should ask the others to watch Arcady. She'll be afraid."

Niari frowned, barely restraining her initial instinct, which was to growl fiercely in protest. Somebody else watch Arcady? Even while knowing it was necessary, her maternal instincts rebelled harshly against the idea. She tried to push them aside and consider the situation logically. Felix was a sweetheart, but she didn't trust him with any real responsibility. Casius was a definite no on principle alone. Lucy probably had her hands full with her own children.

"Ronan might do it. He seems nice," she finally said, nodding a little to herself. "I'll go find him and ask."

Isaac nodded a little and shifted up into a half sit. "I'll go with you. We need to tell them what formula to go and get. We're out." There was enough time before Arcady would be hungry for someone to go out and get it. They would be safe in the human city. Even under his father's rule Isaac's old pack had never brought their running grounds anywhere near the humans. It was only inviting danger and chaos to do so. "Try not to worry, all right? It's less than 24 hours now, and then we'll be back to her." But until the time that they were calmed down, they needed to keep her away. Isaac wondered if it would be easier to keep control now that he was an Alpha in his own right.

"Alright," Niari agreed. She stood and stretched, then walked over to the bed where Arcady was awake and simply laying, enjoying the peace and quiet. She scooped the pup up into her arms and scratched behind her ears, struggling not to tense up at the thought of handing her over. Oh well. It had to be done. Arcady would likely get hurt otherwise, which would bring guilt that Niari simply could not bear. She waited for Isaac to join her, then headed downstairs to see if they could locate Ronan.

Isaac stretched a little before heading for the door, feeling tired still but knowing there was too much struggle ahead of them to rest yet. A quick peek outside once they were downstairs showed Felix and Lucy outside with the children, so he followed the sound of running water and quietly clinking dishes towards the kitchen to find Ronan cleaning up.

The man pushed when he saw them out of the corner of his eye, and after a look of surprise offered them a small smile. "You two all right? I heard Cas shouting a little. . ."

Niari held Arcady close and trailed after Isaac, peering over his shoulder to see the children running around in circles outside. Their laughter was easily heard. She smiled a bit and turned away from the sight, following her Alpha as he went into the kitchen to find Ronan there on dish duty. When he asked if they were alright, she made a face.

"Casius is a drama queen," she muttered, then she shrugged. "We were wondering if.. if you would be willing to watch Arcady tonight. It's a f-full moon, and.." she explained, though she was struggling a bit and stuttering as she forced out the words. It was quite difficult to ask somebody to take the pup, she realized. Perhaps it was because she didn't really want to let Arcady go to anybody just yet. She had to be safe, though. Hopefully Ronan wouldn't take her stuttering in offense.

Ronan huffed a laugh when Niari said Casius was a drama queen, because it wasn't a lie, and paused in washing dishes when she got to her point. "Oh." He said softly, thinking of full moons and all the lore that followed werewolves around. Surely it couldn't be so bad? If it was Casius would've stopped them from going anywhere on full moons. Surely they would have noticed that.

"All right." Ronan added after a moment of thought, turning off the sink and drying his hands. "Did you want me to take her now?"

Isaac nodded a little. "It's probably best." Before things started happening. "I'll bring you out her things, and if someone could go out and get more formula for her, we're all out. I'll write down the name and how often she usually needs it."

Ronan smiled a little. "Don't worry. I'll take good care of her. I won't let the little ones try to run off with her."

Someone?

"We should do it," Niari said, looking over at Isaac. "That way we can make sure we get the right sort. We don't want to upset her belly or anything. We have time," she explained, trying not to look like she was begging for permission. She knew that if she stayed here while waiting for nightfall, she would end up coming back downstairs and taking Arcady from Ronan instead of just letting them be.

She hesitated, then carefully handed the pup over.

Isaac sighed softly and ran a hand through his hair, just nodding for Niari because he didn't want to disappoint her yet again. She was right. They had time. "We'll go, then. It shouldn't take too long. I at least know this town better than I did any of the others we've been to." It would be easier to navigate quickly in a place he'd visited countless times as a child and young adult.

Ronan took Arcady with utmost care, cradling her in one arm once he had her and letting her sniff at him a bit before giving her gentle pets. "Don't worry, Niari," He said with a kind smile. "I'll take good care of your little one."

Niari nodded gratefully as Isaac agreed. Having something to do while they passed the time until the moon rose would be good for them. It was something helpful and needed, yet also busy work to keep their minds off the fact that they were leaving Arcady with somebody else. To be fair, though, Ronan did look comfortable with the pup. She seemed nice and relaxed in his arms, her little tail flicking back and forth.

"Thank you, Ronan," Niari said with a smile, knowing she had to trust him for this to work. She turned to Isaac and hesitantly took his hand, keeping her hold loose in case he wanted to pull away. "Are you ready to go?"

Ronan smiled a little and nodded. "I'll take good care of her." He promised, tone gentle and reassuring. "Thank you for trusting me with her." He knew it had to be something big for a werewolf, even if the pup he held wasn't Niari's and was only a natural wolf herself. It still meant a lot.

Isaac's fingers curled loosely around Niari's hand when she reached for him, and he pulled her gently towards the doorway. "Let's go grab her things before we leave, all right?" he needed to grab what was left of their money as well. They would need it once they were in town.

"Okay," she agreed quietly, glancing back at Ronan a few times as she was guided to the door. She allowed herself to be taken back upstairs and to the bedroom. It was nerve-wracking. She frowned to herself and opened up her bag, pulling out two bottles, just in case. Then came the blanket, then one of the toys. Perhaps two, or maybe just all of them. She sighed and looked over at Isaac.

"She's going to be okay, right..?"

Status
Not open for further replies.