The Fern Way (or "Wanderlust and Its Consequences")

Red Thunder

A Warrior in a Garden
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Fantasy, SciFi, Modern, Magical
Have you ever felt the desire for travel? Not merely the longing to go somewhere, but the longing to go somewhere strange, somewhere unknown?

What would you do with the opportunity?

<~>
Forest-Feathers-path-of-ferns-Upper-Peninsula-of-Michigan.jpg
It was as if you rounded a corner, though you don't recall exactly. Perhaps the tree behind you had obscured your view. Maybe that hill had finally crested. It's possible, even, that the cave to your left finally gapped to open air once more, releasing you from the darkness and back into the light. You blinked, when your position shifted, the filtered, green light from above weaving strange visions to your eyes. They have to be visions. Right? Because, ten seconds ago, you were absolutely not surrounded by an infinite forest.

It seems to stretch for miles. Maybe far more; your line of sight is arrested quickly by bark covered pillars. They are as varied as anything, but as similar as your right hand is to your left, with little to identify one from the other. Yet they are different; you're certain. The energy radiating from each is as unique as a fingerprint. The canopy, too, appears at first uniform and perpetual. Closer inspection, as close as you can get from ten stories below, shows you the small varieties of branch length and leaf size.

It occurs to you, during your inspection, that the canopy obscures every bit of sky beyond. The only light illuminating your surroundings has to force its way through the leaves, which explains the emerald tint that everything has. Your gaze finally drops. Where are you? What do you do now? You pat yourself down. Maybe you managed to hold onto your cellphone; perhaps you remembered your pocket knife this morning. But your wallet is gone, and your phone has been wiped of any personalization. You are alone, stripped of identifiers, and lost in an unchanging sea of trees.

No; there is- it's different. How did you miss it before? Had you- did following it lead you here? At your feet, stretching behind you and before you, lies a path. Of sorts. Ferns of a plethora of shapes and sizes, colors and compositions, shift gently in an unfelt breeze. You follow its line with your eyes; it twists about the gnarled trunks, apparently aimless, before fading into the distance. With no other indication of where you are, how you got to be lost, or what you might do about it, you follow. A clearing greets you. As does a wooden sign, aging and weathered but particularly legible:

Welcome to the Fern Way.

<~>​

There is a word in German that translates roughly to "a desire for a place never been": fernweh. I've been accosted by this feeling on numerous occasions, usually regarding Iceland or Scandinavia, and I'm guessing you have, too.

This RP will be something less concrete, as with an established fantasy or sci-fi setting, and more vague and dreamlike. It will look at the idea of "what makes us long for places we've never been". Characters will be modern day people, from good families or bad, who enjoy their day to day or don't, but who all feel profound fernweh.

Depending on interest, I'll have a Sign Up thread in a week's time.

Thanks, y'all. Godspeed.

~ Red Thunder

Last edited:
hello again :)
I'm interested in this if you'll have me
- even if I think I don't quite understand what you have in mind at this time, but I like the cerebral nature of the proposal.

• Thank You
Reactions: Red Thunder
Looking forward to more info!

• Thank You
hello again :)
I'm interested in this if you'll have me
- even if I think I don't quite understand what you have in mind at this time, but I like the cerebral nature of the proposal.
It'll be very much a kinda "shared dream" setting than anything with hard rules like a typical fantasy. Think ... idk, Alice in Wonderland but by way of an ... Enya aesthetic? And definitely pulling the "normal people pulled into fantastic circumstance" trope, as I hope was communicated.
Looking forward to more info!
Awesome! I think I've got one more interested in the concept, and as this isn't meant to be anything large in concept, it won't be anything expansive with character count, either.

I should have loads of time Sunday to write, so I will likely have the sign ups posted then. Meantime, @Kuno , you in or nah?

Looks lame. Yeah, I'll join.

• Thank You
  • Haha
Reactions: junebug
@Elle Joyner @Doctor Jax @DracoGale4 @KatSea tagging in case y'all need more on y'all's plate. :)

Hey hey! Not gonna be able to participate. Wish you the best of luck!

I have a good portion of the CS done, should be up midday tomorrow!