The Fallen Masquerade

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Her eyes twinkled in delight immediately. Grinning she nodded, agreeing. "You've got a deal. Although, let me know what you're capable of..." She spoke tauntingly, wanting to know what he can do to help her bring down the castle. She would wonder what else he could do. She tapped her foot impatiently, thoughts flooding her head, as her bloodied hands rested on her waist, staining the beautiful satin gown she had on. The thumps of her tapping against the ground growing louder after a while. She was impatient, that much was obvious. She then stopped and suddenly looked into his eyes, her gaze hard and cruel.

"If this would not work... I will make sure your head would be on a platter immediately."

She spoke clearly and true, meaning every word she said, threatening him. She would then resume her impatient tapping, although this time softer and hardly audible. She felt as if being watched and she wanted to get out of this maze as soon as possible. She would wait for his reply, of what he could do before escaping.

"I've been a part of three coups, five civil wars, and eight battles for the throne. Death threats do not frighten me anymore." I said with a light shrug. "As for what I can do...For starters, words are a bit loose around a seemingly benign bard. People loose their lips around me more often than not. Information wins wars, after all. And that's where we start. We find out who's who in regards to the politics in this country." I said, and then turned to hear the chinking of armor and a few shouts. The rustle of the maze hedges could be heard toward the place where the murder has occured, and even if she had hid the body well, there was likely blood or other-such tell-tale sign she likely missed. "At any rate...you've set us back a few days with your actions, so shall we disappear?" I said, raising the lyre.

She would laugh, she wasn't human after all... She was a creature, a fallen. She couldn't have missed a single thing, she was sure of it, sure the muffled cry might have been heard, but other than that.... Nothing. She would scoff, before nodding as she would look left and right, grinning, smeared with mischief and evil delight. She would grab him by the hand and rush off, her strides turning into a jog, and soon enough a run. A fast runner she is, dragging everyone who would run with her. Hopefully he can keep up, she thought. Her footsteps didn't make a single sound, only the rustling of the hedges and grass of the maze could be heard, aside from his own jogging. She would smirk and look back at him before even speeding up, almost dragging him if he wouldn't move any faster. She was impressed with him, not knowing a mere musician could be involved in such political and complex like tactics and wars. She would then lead him to a small passageway, to escape the maze, before looking at her spoiled dress and resting her hands on her waist, acting as if she was tired even though she didn't break a sweat. "How silly of me... Destroying this beautiful dress... Know anywhere we could change my clothing?" She would ask him.

I trotted alongside the woman as she ran, not even waiting for an answer. She was quick witted or impatient, one of the two, and I certainly hoped it was the former and not the latter. The woman smirked and increased her speed, and the entire time I noticed she didn't make a sound. She was arrogant, vengeful, and i was beginning to believe that she wasn't human either. I had a deep desire to set her clothing a light, but I decided against it. "There are a multitude of tailors nearby, as long as you don't expect silk. If you already have clothing, however, there is a tavern im staying at not very far away. We could head there and you can get dressed, and we can set up a base of operations."

"Huh... That sounds nice enough. Shall we go, after all... You do know more of the life outside the palace..." She would say, slightly expressionless, and it was up to him to think of it as an insult or not. The shouts of guards and the clanking of their armor can be heard from where they were. She shrugged and didn't seem to mind, acting cool and relaxed. She wondered about the plans that may be going in his head, and before she knew it, she gave a pleased, and slightly kind smile towards him, but then she realized what she just did. She was highly surprised in herself, as she never did such a thing to a.... mortal. She would place her arrogant smile, and hope that the surroundings was too dark for him to notice that smile she gave him. Looking around, she didn't really mind her dirty clothing, since she was used to living outside the palace, working as a spy for enemy countries. She was really a royal from England, the top enemy country of France. She preferred to keep her mouth shut about it, unless she wanted to reveal her fallen self. She would approach him after a few seconds of silence, and lean in awfully close. Her breath was hot against his lips and she gave a soft chuckle.

"I do say... You are one of a kind." After those words she would back off and glance left and right, then back at him.

The woman continued to annoy me, but the expected payment was currently worth it, though how much longer that would be the case was beyond me. I motioned for her to follow, and for a second I thought I saw an actual smile on her face, but it passed rather quickly. I made my way through the dirt streets, clear of people at this hour of night, which was to our advantage at the moment, but I could see no others anywhere near us, and the clinking of armor had long since faded into the distance. After going through a few more winding streets, I came to a small unassuming tavern, with a sign that read "Gilluck's Flame". The name was meaningless, but the innkeeper was an old friend that wouldn't ask any questions. I went inside, gave a rotund bald man behind the counter a nod, and made my way up the stairs, mentally praying they wouldn't collapse as old as they were. I looked at her as she spoke of me once again, and I snorted. "There are many bards who play these games. I'm nothing special, and sadly, neither is this place. I have my songs, paper, ink and quill, what is do be done with them is solely up to you."

"Huh, I've been in worse..." She mumbled, examining the place. It wasn't the very best of places, nor was it the very worst. Rather mediocre so to say in her perspective. She would pretend to cringe and complain when she would see bugs and rats, and such pests crawling around the place, to annoy him purposely, and to see his reactions afterwards make her laugh. She would give half hearted smiles to the old men who run the inn and grunt and her dress, which under candle light was rather dirty and wasn't really pleasing to look at. She would look at the old man and walk towards the counter, making a small conversation, trying to learn of this country a bit more. Fortunately he didn't ask much questions, nor would she care if he did. She would just answer piles of black lies on top of one another. She finished talking to the man and he allowed them to sleep for the night. She would look at her clothes again and would approach one of the women working there, asking her if there may be clothes that would fit her. The woman led her to a room to change. After a few more minutes she came out, barefoot and dressed in normal clothes, nothing special nor fancy. She would have her hair slightly messy yet her raven curls remain. Streaks of dirt were on her cheeks, but she still looked pretty nonetheless. She would run up the stairs with him and chuckle. She looked normal and seemed to blend into the surroundings. She didn't mind what she was wearing and she waited for him by the top of the steps, her arms crossed and waiting for him to lead the way.