The Engagement (Inkheart789 & Eyeris)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
The words echoed around Hibiscus. and the fog around her seemed to darken. "N-No Cara don't say that... Don't... Don't think that..."

Where she had once sensed Cara so clearly, clearly-enough to know how to replace her bones, the girl suddenly seemed very far away. Distant. Hibiscus felt something like space grow between them as Cara pushed her away in her mind.

Hibiscus was frightened, she was not sure if Cara was pushing her out of her mind, or deeper within. She didn't know if she'd come back.

Yet, Cara was strong. Strengthened by the potion, strengthened by the healing. Hibiscus could do nothing but fade away... "Cara!" She called, but she did not think the girl could hear her anymore...

She didn't think about what she had just done until she couldn't hear Hibiscus anymore. Cara sat up and looked around, trying to find her. "Hibiscus?" She whispered, searching every corner of the room with her eyes. "Hibiscus I just wanted space. I... I didn't want you to leave. Come out please. Why wouldn't you just let me see you? I want you to protect me, but not hurt me. I don't want you to be like my parents were to me."

Cara slowly stood, not putting much weight on her newly healed foot, and started to limp around. She was trying to find where Hibiscus had been hiding. "Don't leave me here alone." She whispered when she had looked around most of the room. Now Cara was afraid that Hibiscus had actually left and didn't care what happened to her anymore.

Hibiscus didn't hear. She was in the fog. She wasn't so worried at first.... Until the fog became... well... Shadow...

Then she heard something in the distance, something that was not Cara's voice. It was like a great wave rising in the distance...

"C-Cara...?" Hibiscus tried to 'run' from the sound. She knew it. She had heard it before. It did truly frighten her. She tried to run but he sound did not seem to become any further away.

She felt cold, a chill wind.

Then it felt as if she were running ankle-deep. "CARA!" She called.

Let it go. This only what you deserve. She might stand a chance without you, without magic...

What if they come for her? Who will protect her?

Me. She decided.

She ran faster and called louder. She reached out for that warm living girl. The girl by the fireplace. The girl who wanted to walk down the isle together. The girl who loathed magic with all her pure heart, but put up with it for the sake of those she loved. The girl who wanted to cook and sew and... and... Maybe a girl who wanted to give Hibiscus another chance...

"Caraaaaaa?"

As she searched the room, Cara swore she could hear someone calling for her in the distance. It began to get louder and she realized it was Hibiscus.

"Hibiscus! Don't leave me please, I'm sorry, I didn't mean what I said before. I just hate pain, I didn't want you to be like my parents, but I know you're not like them. You have to care at least a little for me to try to keep me safe." Cara said, making her way towards the couch. It seemed like something was changing in her body, like the potion she had taken was finally starting to fade away.

She took some shaky breaths as she sat down and closed her eyes. The potions physical effects were wearing off, but with it certain memories were brought forward. Cara whispered as she saw the woman that she had killed.

"Hibiscus... You need to know, I once killed a woman with my magic. My parents didn't teach me how to contol any of it, just forced me to preform. One day it got out of control and I couldn't stop it." Cara bit her lip as the memory played through her mind, blood came from it, but she was in no state to realize she was hurting herself.

Hibiscus felt as though she was ankle deep in an icy river. Yet, she felt relieved as she stopped feeling that violent push from Cara's mind, instead, it was as if she were being drawn back back little by little.

She could hear everything that Cara was saying, and as Cara saw the woman from her memories and nightmares, so did Hibiscus.

She looked a maid from the way she dressed. She had a soft round face that might have been kind and rosy once, but in death all joy and mirth had been drained from her face. Her skirt was soaked up to the knee, torn by the icy current of the river of death. She stared straight at Hibiscus with longing empty eyes as Cara remembered her.

"Poor thing..." She though this of both Cara and the maid. They were cursed by reckless parents and reckless masters respectively. "... Cara, my dear, it is not your fault. No child should be told to play with magic as if it were a toy. This woman's blood, and yours, stain the hands of your parents not you." Hibiscus spoke to Cara, and spoke to the ghost; "It is your masters who condemned you to death, not this child."

She stepped toward the ghost, it made the necromancer feel colder and more distant from Cara, but, she was confident now that she would be able to return easily. "Leave her in peace, follow the river... or haunt them if it suits you best." If she could convince the spirit to leave, Cara might find it easier to sleep at night. If she could not persuade the spirit... for who knows how much humanity the maid had left in her after all these years... She would force the spirit to leave.

I'm the only one allowed to haunt her.

Cara felt tears leave her eyes as she heard Hibiscus again. At least she had not left. "It is my fault, I could have stopped them so easily before if I just refused to eat." She whispered, forcing her eyes open. "I just didn't know they cared some for me, wanted me to live."

She sat up and kept her eyes on the ground, to try to forget the memory that seemed to be playing around her. "She will not leave Hibiscus. I have asked her before, apologized, told her that I could not help, yet she stays. She has always been there since the day my parents buried her." Cara wipped away her tears and hiccuped.

"The only time she stayed away was when you were close, I don't think she wanted you to know about it." Cara admitted, absentmindedly rubbing her ankle that had been healed. It felt like nothing had even happened. "Can you take her away? Can you make her forgive me?"

"That was wise of her." Hibiscus narrowed her focus onto the spirit.

When hibiscus was young, the dead had overwhelmed her, practically mauling each-other to get to her that they might utilize her power. As she got older and more experienced, many shied away... they began to fear her.

"She knows what I can do to her. And she can't run from me now." There was a dark tone to her voice.

She moved closer to the maid, who remained idle before her. "Cara... do you remember her name?" She tapped her lip, deciding on to which level of hell to send the woman who had been tormenting her fiance...

"Isabella." Cara whispered. "Her name is Isabella, but Hibiscus... She did not do much wrong. I just don't want her near. Please don't harm her."

In her core Cara was kind. She did not try to do wrong, she tried to treat everyone nicely and not hurt anyone. That was why she hated magic. It changed her record and made her do something terrible. Now though, by having Hibiscus be nice to this girl, it might counter what had happened.

"I want her gone Hibiscus... But not harmed. She was young when the incident happened and it was not her fault. She should have lived a long life." Her 'ghost' had never talked to Cara before. She had never been a problem besides the haunting and scaring.

Status
Not open for further replies.