Invitation Status
Writing Levels
  1. Give-No-Fucks
  2. Adept
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Horror, Modern, Modern Fantasy, Multiverse/Panfandom, Mystery, Paranormal, Scifi, Survival
Originally written by Chewy Rabbits and Ringmaster

He'd been here for a solid week now. And what had he done?

Not go to any of these exercises for one. He wasn't here willingly and there was nothing whatsoever to lure him into playing soldier with the rest of them at the Torch. No, Roman was meant to work in the capacity he did best...And so he did. He befriended the Quartermasters, began setting up a lucrative side project and made himself a man who could...Obtain anything, reasonably for bored soldier/hero types. Mostly in the form of foodstuff, which is where his next avenue of interest showed up.

The cargo shipments, where he'd divert one or two crates for his own use. It was easy enough.

They were already being diverted for some purpose, though why he had no idea. Maybe someone was skimming off the top? Wouldn't be surprised but really, he was starting to get antsy here.

And in his dorm he paid a pretty penny to keep to himself, he leaned back in his chair and flung his hat to catch at the hook he hammered into the wall.

"Man, this blows."

Fracking McDuck.

"Rough day?"

The unfamiliar baritone voice echoed throughout Roman's abode and if the master thief turned his head, he'd see what appeared to be some kind of masked man phasing through his wall. Solidifying once he was all the way through, the light in the room gave Roman a good idea of what he was looking at.

The man stood around 5'10 and had a certain 'ninja' aesthetic about him. Although he certainly didn't resemble the White Fang or anybody even close to them. His face was as mentioned before hidden away by a mask with a spiral-like design on it. But something stood out that Roman might have been able to spot and that was the masked man's eyes.

17a70ee0a8b55b31f34c65b52380dba1.jpg

"Roman Torchwick...A name associated with some of the most well-known heists in Remnant."

"What the fu-"

Roman nearly swore, Melodic Cudgel primed and armed in a moment as he pointed it in the direction of the newcomer. Without his usual resources such as Neo(as well as the usual grunt, jarhead mentality here), Roman had been forced to be more cautious. Perhaps a tad more brutal. Call it a nervous tic if you will, but whenever any mysterious man entered his private dorm like the walls didn't exist and knew who he was? Yeah.

It puts a guy on edge as he looked him over and clicked his tongue.

"Nice mask! Aren't we the theatrical type?"

He rose to his feet, cane pointed still as he smirked.

"And didn't you hear? That ain't me no more. I've turned over a new leaf, trusting in these wonderful people to overlook my sordid past and take me to their bosom. But for the sake of argument, if I was said handsome devil you mentioned... What's it to you?"

His thumb clicked the safety off as he peered at the other.

If the masked man was put off by the weapon suddenly aimed his way, he didn't let it show through his body language or his eyes. They remained focused on Roman the entire time and the man actually let out a small laugh despite the gravity of the situation.

"That's another thing I heard about you in my travels. You like to talk. Perhaps to mask your own weakness."

Taking a step forward, the man inclined his head slightly to the side. Almost as if he was inspecting Roman.

"Oh? Pray tell, how is this new life treating you?"

The man didn't expect a response. He had kept close enough tabs on Roman's whereabouts since first hearing about him to know that as he was going about his business now, Roman likely felt things could have been going a lot better. So regardless of whether or not Roman would dignify his question with a response, he already knew the answer.

"But I understand your plight. Which is why I come to you, not as an enemy. But as a potential partner," The man explained as he took another step forward with his arms held out at his side.

"But if you don't believe me? Go ahead and fire then."

"My mommy left me when I was five years old and my daddy beat me till I was black and blue too."

He added deadpan to the attempt to analyze him. At the goad, though, Roman frowned...He wasn't stupid. Anyone who could have waltzed right in without alerting anyone was waaaay out of his league. He idly wondered if this was the guy behind the strange vibes the Duck was all suspicious about. If so....He'd serve his interests and his own a lot better the way he did best.

Using his silver tongue as the targeting reticle flicked back down and he smirked, withdrawing a lighter and a cigar, pre-cut as he lit up.

"Don't mind if I smoke, do you?"

He took a seat and gestured grandly to the one opposite him.

"Mi casa, su casa! Have a seat, tall, shadowy and freaky. You seem to know quite a bit on little ol' me...I'm flattered. But what's your angle? Unless you're looking for some extra MRE's, I'm thinking you're barking up the wrong tree."

The stranger didn't say anything in response to Roman's first rebuttal. Beyond a narrowing of the eyes of course. He'd seen plenty of people with Roman's attitude in the Akatsuki. All of them ended up dead at some point or another. Perhaps Roman would share their fate. Or perhaps he'd be different survive? For as powerful as his eyes were, this answer even they could not grant him.

As the seat was offered to him, the man stepped forward and slowly slumped into it with his arms folded neatly across his lap. His intense gaze still rested on the former thief before him, however.

"Despite what my appearance may have you believe, I'm older than I look. I've traveled for a long time, been to countless worlds. It just so happened to be that I was on business and stumbled across yours. After hearing of your various escapades, I decided a potential business venture wouldn't be too farfetched. For you see, Roman, I have a plan and it's one I need people like you to assist me in."

At that moment, a black swirl appeared near the man's right eye and out plopped bags filled to the brim with gold coins. Certainly enough to satisfy someone as greedy as Roman.

"I have little interest in monetary trinkets such as these. But I imagined someone of your particular 'nature' would take a liking to them."

If Roman accepted the coins then the man would have gone on as he leaned forward in his chair and Roman got a better look at his eyes.

38gCQiEr6eDWIL73cSrMsbfH8GhpkgUXPbAKx6rUDjXO2GOu8dk8KEz1CAIBtTqv4rx2qA=w315-h177-p-no

"The world is a big place, Roman. As such, conflict is never too far behind. Some might even go as far as to say violence is simply human nature at work. But I refuse to accept that. You see, I'm the man who will bring peace, not just to one world, or even two. But to all of them."

...Well then. He had his attention. Now he had his interest. Roman picked one up, giving the evaluation of a thief as he peered at the quality and whistled low. Removing his cigar from his mouth, he placed it in the ashtray as he looked at Madara. One eyebrow raised as he listened carefully to the spiel before smirking.

"So the whole thing is an act and you're really just a fun loving guy, who reblogs kittens on Tumblr. Alright. So what's the catch?"

He picked up the cigar again as he puffed away, the tip glowing brightly as it illuminated his features in a briefly, sinister fashion.

"What can a guy like me, do for a guy like you?"

Having recruited Kakuzu into the Akatsuki himself, the man knew all about throwing money around. Least of all when it was easy as simply walking into a vault and taking as much gold as he could store away in his Kamui dimension and then depositing it at times like these. He had little use for this type of stuff. More so when his plan went into effect, nobody would need to buy or spend anything ever again. Everything would be free, everyone would be united as one.

"Funny. But I believe that humanity cannot be trusted to redeem itself. Even going back as far as it's origins, blood was on the hands of the first few humans as they fought over food, territory, and what have you. We were no better than animals and as time has gone on, war continues and more lives are shed. Humanity has a sickness but I have the cure for it."

Raising a finger, he'd point it towards his left eye.

"No doubt you've noticed my eyes. With how intensely they've been boring a hole in your person, Roman. This eye is known as a Sharingan, eyes distinctive to my clan. With these eyes comes power and I'm planning to use this power to create a perfect world. With no segregation, no arguments, no war. Everyone will become one with me, I will become one with everyone."

The man leaned back in his chair and glanced up at the ceiling.

"That said, I cannot stop with just humanity. There are worlds, dimensions with their own conflicts that are going on as we sit here and discuss. Peace has no limits, neither do my eyes. I will achieve this through a widespread illusion that will convince every world's inhabitants to abandon their sense of selves and become one with me. With that goes conflict and needless bloodshed."

At that moment, the masked man's hand suddenly clenched into a fist and his eyes narrowed downwards and the anger in his tone grew.

"But every great plan has its critics. Mine is no different. They claim that my world is a false peace. What kind of life is there to be had in a world where nothing ever goes wrong? There's no potential for friendly disagreements? Even with my power, I cannot silence these critics all by myself. So, that's where you come in Roman. I need someone to spread the gospel and you're the one.."

The man tore his attention away from the ceiling and focused it back on Roman.

"You will be the first member of the Neo Akatsuki. Lead by none other than I, Madara Uchiha.."

Oh shit.

Another Cinder.

Roman smiled through his teeth as he listened, carefully with one ear as was his practice, tried-and-true methods. Somehow, he didn't think polite refusal was going to cut it. Especially after sharing everything and the information. Sharingan? They could have been contacts for all Roman cared. He was a simple guy at heart. He robbed, cheated and lied to flourish and he was good at it. Now it was this all over again. Welp. If there was one thing Roman was good at?

It was surviving and with a smirk, he tapped out the ashes from his cigar.

"Madara, eh? Hmph. Well. I just have one, little condition if I'm to play this game."

His expression turned cool as he spoke.

"I'm going to need some extra muscle. Preferably my own- Petite little thing. Brown and pink hair, has awards in the Silent game and uses an umbrella as a weapon. If you can't find me her? Eh, I'll take who I can get."

It was probably for the better that Roman accepted Madara's invitation. For if he had denied then Madara would have made use of him through other means, perhaps using him as a tribute to see how that Kabuto brat's resurrection jutsu worked. But as Roman accepted, Madara nodded in understanding.

"I know of whom you speak. I actually encountered her while traveling around in your world. She wasn't as receptive to my idea as you've been, however. Not wishing to harm her and damage any potential relations with you, however, I subdued her through other more 'discreet' means. Allow me to show you what I mean."

The swirl around Madara's eye appeared once more only this time instead of coins, it was a bound and gagged Neo who had a vacant look in her otherwise colorful eyes. Aware of the reaction this might have pulled from Roman, Madara kept his cool and continued speaking.

"She's perfectly fine, physically speaking. The restraints are more cosmetic than anything else. The same cannot be said for her mentally, however. Right now, she's currently imagining herself being skewered over and over again. With little to do but to watch as it all happens. Sadistic but then I suppose from what I've garnered about your partner, it's certainly a fitting situation. If you had said no to my offer, I would have simply snapped her neck and done the same to you. Just so we're clear."

Madara didn't wish to mince words, least of all with someone like Roman. If Roman was going to lead the charge in spreading Madara's influence over the multiverse than Madara wanted to make damn sure the thief knew what kind of man he was working under and that meant keeping no secrets.

"When you do a certain task for me, I'll use my Sharingan and release her from this illusion and it'll be as if nothing ever happened. She won't even remember a thing and you're free to do with her as you wish. I believe the two of you work well together so far be it from me to deny you that. But I lead a group before this one, Roman. They all had to earn their place and there will be no difference with this group. I need you to prove to me your capabilities and with someone dear to you at stake, I'm sure you'll have no problem with that.."

"He's right you know. We all had to do it."

"It separates the weak from the strong."

wmdsofza4884710.jpg

Two new voices had entered into the conversation and if Roman turned to see just who they belonged to, he'd see what appeared to be a venus flytrap of a man with one-half seeming more monstrous in appearance with black skin and inhuman like eyes and razor sharp teeth and the other half seeming more 'human' but was as a white as a ghost.

"Ah, finally decided to show yourself I see. Welcome to the conversation, Zetsu. I was just beginning to explain your part in all of this. You see, Roman. Zetsu here is the sole survivor of my last attempt at the Akatsuki. The only one that remained loyal to the bitter end. He's also who will be replacing you while you're away doing the task I'm asking of you. Which is to attend the latest in a series of events that seem to revolve around finding death and finding out whom killed who and such. Interesting little shows but they bring in entities from all over the multiverse. People who could be influenced into joining me just as you have."

"Hehehehe, that's right! You'll be at the risk of being killed! Or surviving, whichever comes first! But you'll also be gathering important information for us!"

"We'll also see if you worth our time in the first place. Think of it in a sort of 'sink or swim' type way."

"So, are we clear, Roman? Any questions you may have?" To say that Roman Torchwick was stunned would be an understatement.

To say that he was currently envisioning shoving Melodic Cudgel down Madara's throat and pulling the trigger would be an accurate assessment. Outwardly, all he did was smoke calmly and raise an eyebrow.

"You guys like to play hardball, don't you? I can respect that."

You little shits.

So that was where Neo had vanished. He had assumed she'd just up and went off world without him, which while was surprisingly slightly hurtful, wasn't really unexpected. They were crooks, after all, every one of them somewhat in it for themselves. Neo was no exception to the rule. Seeing her in this position shouldn't have done a damn thing.

But it did and only focusing on the fact that if he fucked up, they were both dead was the only thing keeping him from doing anything rash. No, if he wanted to save them both? He was going to have to do what he did best. This was no longer about what he could gain.

But rather, what he couldn't afford to lose.

He intentionally, ignored Neo's situation as he stared at Madara and jerked a thumb towards Zetsu.

"So whose the Little Shop of Horrors reject?"

550810-tobi_23_large.png

"Hardball? Hardly. Think of it more as tying up any potential loose ends. Besides, it sweetens the deal for you as well. You do what I ask and you get your partner back after you've been separated for so long and apart from what you and I know, she'll have no traces of what I put her through. Perhaps that's for the better. Grudges will have no place in my world."

As Roman made the derogatory remark towards Zetsu, the ninja glanced in the direction of his most loyal subordinate and chuckled.

"I would not refer to them in such a manner. For they have a tendency to let their hunger get the better of them and your type isn't off the food chain in that regard."

The revelation that Zetsu was a cannibal earned a malicious grin in Roman's direction as saliva could have been seen dripping from the fangs of the Black half of Zetsu.

"We were known as the cleaner of the Akatsuki. Anybody who failed a mission and lost their lives or were simply a loose end met their end and found a new home. In our stomach, heh heh.."

"But we won't eat you! Because Madara likes you and so do we!"

"It's true that Zetsu helps to clean up evidence so that enemies can't learn from our defeated comrades. But his main role is to act as a surveillance scout, becoming one with the area and being able to move wherever he pleases and it's through him that I get quite a bit of my information. But that's not Zetsu's only ability."

With a nod of his head, Zetsu returned it and the venus fly trap around Zetsu's upper half began to close off and Zetsu stripped his robe off.

From there a disgusting white liquid could have been seen dripping from White Zetsu's back as some kind of white bulge could have been pushing out from his back. Until eventually it tore itself free and plopped onto the ground. It writhed around like some kind of disgusting maggot before taking on a more humanoid form and eventually it became a near perfect facsimile of Roman himself.

"We'll watch over things while you're away! Leads to fewer questions and fewer messes we have to clean up! Much to our displeasure of course but such is the way we operate!"

"Well, that's disgusting," Roman said cheerfully before adding.

"Hmmm... Missing something. Aha!"

He strode over to his hat hook, tossing his bowler over his shoulder to land on his facsimile's head, adjusting it once with his cane before smirking.

"Perfect. And alright, you got yourself a deal Madara. Do me a favor, though?"

Putting out the stub of his cigar, he considered a moment and finally shrugged.

"Change her little illusion to something nicer? She may not remember after, but I'm gonna have to live with it and her if she gets mad I didn't say it. Would make it easier for me to do my thing when she gets back. As to these Murder Games...Well."

He swung his cane once in hand, a smug expression growing.

"I think I know just the one...."

Roman!Zetsu absolutely lit up as he had the hat placed upon his head. He wanted to be the perfect duplicate of Roman and now it seemed his guise was foolproof! Nobody would be able to tell the two of them apart! Pleased with the illusion himself, Madara sneered at Roman's request.

"After all the lives you've ruined, the misery you've sown. You still hold in your heart a place for someone. Very well.."

Turning his head towards Neo, Madara's Sharingan flared up and Neo's illusion was changed. No longer was she getting impaled by swords from all sides. But going through the first time she had met Roman. Seemed like a decent enough memory to re-live until Madara had an inclination to free her from the genjutsu.

"Now that you've seen the state your partner is in, however, I'm afraid I'll be taking her back until the task at hand is dealt with." With that, the swirl appeared and seemed to suck Neo in and it was there in the Kamui Dimension where she'd reside until Roman returned from his task. Things seemed like they were going well. That was at least until Roman noticed what seemed to be another White Zetsu head growing out of his shoulder.

300px-White_Zetsu.png

"Hi! We're just hitching a ride to make sure that if something happens to you, nobody tries to take any information from your corpse! But Madara has said you somehow manage to avoid situations like that! So we'll likely just be around! A voice in your ear if you need it! Hahahahaha!" With that the White Zetsu head vanished back into Roman's shoulder leaving only a barely noticeable white splotch on Roman's shoulder to mark Zetsu's presence.

Rising to his feet and heading for the same wall he had walked through before, Madara resumed speaking all while his back was to Roman and Zetsu which consisted solely of the Black Zetsu for now.

"I do apologize for whatever inconvenience Zetsu may cause you. But think of him less as a parasite and more as an ally you can call on if need be. He's not much of a fighter but he'll be able to distract any potential enemies at the very least. The others won't even notice he's there.Unless he wants them to."

76395d68a791f9357480ebbb1e03f307_480.jpg

"I trust to see results from you, Roman. Don't disappoint me."

His final statement given, Madara vanished through the wall once more and Black Zetsu did the same. Leaving Roman alone with his thoughts and with White Zetsu who was more than eager to strike up a conversation if Roman desired one! But now the thief had a task set out for him. Participate in one of these 'Murder Games' to scout out potential worlds or other people Madara could go out of his way to recruit. All with Zetsu keeping an eye on him and with Neo's life in the balance.

~Fin~

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.