The Curse of Aelia

The crimson-cloaked form pursued Richard, with was should have been much ease, due to the inhumanities of the situation. In reality, Lia had forced herself to continue fighting against her body's intruder, in a desperate attempt to at least slow it down. It worked, but she saw through 'her' own eyes that it was still not enough. Lucian still stayed at the top of that building, controlling the body as if he was merely there for the view. Perhaps, she thought, if there was some way to cause a falter in his concentration, she could regain herself. The body caught up to Richard multiple times, casting some form of energy towards him, though her meager attempts were enough to throw off the aim enough that he was able to move out of harm's way in time. As Lucian grew bored of this, the body swung an arm back, and in the hand, energy constucted itself into a shadowy scythe, which was then swung forward, the still-off aim meant to cleave into the target.

Though he did not sustain any significant injury from such a poorly-aimed attack, Richard was stilled hit, a long - but shallow - cut appearing on the back of his left calf. He couldn't gain sufficient momentum, nor could he manage to gain enough distance to formulate a plan to trick and deceive. However, he had come up with something, even if the possibility of even being able to pull it off was enough to be considered suicide. He was already expending more energy than he felt comfortable with, and if he went forth and failed, he'd never be able to even put up a fight. Nevertheless, he did not see what other option he had, and thus continued.

Richard turned on his heel, towards the entity chasing him, and leapt in the direction opposite to where it was moving. Unless it was able to defy physics and change direction in mid-air, he'd have allowed himself a minute amount of leeway, so as to gain a head start. He put all he had into reaching this so-called 'Lucian,' his mind solely focussed on him. he couldn't concentrate on what he thought was Lia, and he couldn't register how his muscles were screaming at him through their agonising limit-pushing. And, in what was a move so instinctive it was worrying, he moved in close. he moved into Lucian, his fist aimed at his throat, with the aggressor hoping that the sudden assault would at least allow the man's focus to be interruted, allowing for another attack to land - if at all possible.

The entity had skid to a stop and changed directions to pursue the boy, and as Lucian saw what he was planning, it increased it's speed, in an attempt to reach Richard before he could reach Lucian. Lia felt control slipping further as he put more energy in to will the body to move faster. If it reached Richard before Lucian could be stopped, it would be over, but his increasing power would take over completely, soon. It was a race, and just as Richard was near, so was the entity. However, before either of them could contact one another, Lucian noticed the punch that was being thrown in his direction, and completely dissapeared. The red-cloaked form was frozen for a moment, it's scythe raised, when suddenly the energy was disposed of entirely, and with a soft thud, Lia fell to the rooftop just behind Richard.

Erm... Think... What do I do, what do I do... Check if she's all right? Good idea. Let's do that.
Richard, though thoroughly exhausted, knew better than to simply collapse in a heap. In this light, he restricted himself to falling onto one knee, under the guise that he was bending down to better ascertain whether Lia was still alive. Though he could do naught about the exasperated pants, he managed to force his balance to steady itself, his eyes affixed firmly on the girl that had landed behind him, and had been aiming to dispose of him but moments prior.
"Are you all right? Come on, Lia, he's left, for now."
His tone, though affected by his lack of ability to focus - having been shaken quite a bit, by recent events - was still as calm and as soft as he could keep it, his eyes displaying genuine worry. He'd heard tales of this before - not specifically this creature, but of transformations humans had undergone, and had lost their minds as a result. He knew that wasn't Lia -he hadn't known her past the day, but he knew that was't her. And, despite all he did to help it, he was worried for her. So young, so it seemed, but cursed so harshly.

Lia looked around for a moment, before finally processing the situation, and pushing herself to a sit. She rest a hand atop her head, running her fingers through the white locks. This entire mess was the result of her bad decisions. She had been avoiding people and the streets for such situations. Lucian would always taunt her after practically slaughtering, with her body, nontheless, whoever she had attatched herself to. He'll laugh, as she watches 'herself' hurt them, shouting things like "Haven't I told you not to curse these poor people?" She shut her eyes in an attempt to stop those memories. This time was different; he had decieved that hateful devil, and most importantly, he lived. She should just tell him to leave her alone from now on. That may save him.. No, no, he must be in too deep by now. His face would be remembered. But what could possibly be done?
Turning to look at Richard her expression was quite sorrowful, and somewhat flustered. "I-I'm so sorry.. I knew very well the danger of even speaking with other people. This is why they are always told to never affiliate themselves with me. Every time they do... things like this.." Her quivering voice went silent again, averting her eyes once more. "Have you been hurt...? You must at least need to rest, after all of this.."

"Suppose so."
Two words, uttered nonchalantly, before he fell backwards, a pained sigh breaking his lips as he hit the surface below him. Not feeling like moving his arms, he simply lay in something resembling a spread-eagle, and looked up to the sky. He hadn't the foggiest of what to say - while he was used to people asking him questions after he did something, they were usually more along the lines of 'were you followed' or 'how big was the haul.' Still, he attempted to concoct some form of response, something to put Lia's mind at ease. he didn't want her to be worried, that was his job. Not because he felt the need to, even if it was a contributing factor. It was simply something engraved into his mind - worry about everything. Think about everything. Always have a contingency plan. "Bah, suited rat got a cut in my trousers. He'd better know how to sew, because I'm not fixing these. That aside, you needn't worry about getting me into anything. I'm sure there was a saying for this... knee-deep in it? Up the proverbial without a paddle? Ah, it'll come to me. All that matters is that I'm already in with some bad, bad men, and that one with the cane's going to have to wait in line."

"So that's how you must be different." She murmured, seeming somewhat reassured. "You have dealt with situations like this before. At least, the running and creating tactics to get out of situations." Letting out a sigh, she shook her head. Any strength is something to cherish in their tangled situation, although now there would be more to take care of. Surely the problem could not swell any longer. Might as well take care of everything, now that there could be hope to do such. She alone wouldn't be enough, but maybe two could handle everything. "That is good to know, I suppose. Who are these people whom you are in trouble with? What do you call your own situation?" After causing them both to be thrown in her own situation, it suddenly seemed odd to not explain what was going on with her in the first place, so she added, "If you don't mind telling. I haven't quite explained myself as it seems, either."

Somehow mustering the strength it took for him to wave his hand dismissively, Richard did so, though the rest of his arm remained inert. Eyes closed and mind open, he spoke, as if he was explaining something banal, like a recipe for pea soup.
"It's fine. It's not as if much more harm could come to me, why bother hiding it? I'm with crime lords. Lots of them. I'm a courier, of sorts - I take things from one place to another. Peace offerings, war offerings, a case of illegally strong whiskey - I've had it all in my hands since I was able to jump roofs. Though, given my position, I know a lot about who deals with what. One slip of the tongue, and I'm on the receiving end of something sharp and stabby. Not that I'd rat them out, anyway - they give me a place to stay, clothes to wear, food and drink, and important life skills. Like how not to be caught. It is a little lonely, though..."
Another sigh escaped his lips, though this one was more exasperated than anything. He just felt lethargic - so much, so soon It was all crashing down on him. "And you? What's your story?"

"I, Aelia- or as I've been called up to this point, Lia Chronos, am Lucians pawn, as it would be put. I was brought up without meeting any parents, only my sister looked after me through that time. It wasn't all that hard, even if we were only poor street rats. Although the downsides to that made itself apparent soon. One day my sister became very sick. One day I met Lucian, who in reality is a well established politician here, and seeing what I assumed to be magic being casted by him, along with the foolishness of a child, I thought he could help. And he needed a soul to carry out his dirty work. After making a deal for this, my sister was cured with what the people percieved to be a miracle. But then, he would do just as you witnessed, using my soul, to carry out the deaths of those who opposed him. Many times he chose not to use that disguise, though he was able to stop any prosecution from being carried out. One day, my sister took me to this spot. She began to speak of leaving, finding a life elsewhere. And, just like I said, and as he so politely inquired, no one may oppose that devil without facing the consequences." She too let a sigh be released, before continuing in a voice that conveyed the hardships she had tried countless times to dispell from her thoughts. "Even after she was killed, he continued our deal with the excuse that it had not been broken at all. It was to save her from that illness, not to save her from dying at something else's fault."

"You know, in a way, I envy you."
Richard's tone was solemn - a sudden change from his usual one, but it was still there. It was undeniable. "I've never had anyone to care for, or care for me. I was born into this trade, it's all I know. No companionship. No kinship. Nobody to hug you on the cold winter nights to keep you warm, or to pat you on the shoulder and say it's all all right. Nobody who told me that I didn't have to be the errand boy any more, and that I was a person in my own right. Whether for better or for worse, is yet to be seen. I just feel so empty, you know? You have someone to do this all for. I'm just a runner, on the run."
His strength finally returning, and his muscles calming down, Richard managed to haul himself to an upright position, though it took quite a considerable amount of effort. He really did feel empty, as if his life was meaningless - he didn't hate life, to be sure. He just felt that it was something he couldn't appreciate, that it was all pointless. The world passed him by, and he let it without so much as a slight nod in its general direction. Maybe accompanying the girl right there with him was his new task. It didn't matter if he died, he supposed. He wouldn't really be missed by anyone. If he lived, he was sure he'd figure something out, once the two had parted ways.

"I have someone to avenge, sure. But she is gone. I am not fighting for anything more than to escape him. Of course taking care of him would be getting revenge, but it would not bring her back in any way. There is no pride to be taken in it, but at the same time I refuse to let him win again. If he hadn't taken so much I would be content to die simply trying, but I cannot allow that." She looked up to Richard, as if somewhat understanting how his intentions would be, "And I am afraid I cannot allow you to die either. Even if you cannot find reason, live for the sake of living. You wan't to leave this place, and find reason. Do not let someone like him take that away. Unless you intend to stay here, I do not mind facing him alone. There is power in more than one, but it does not mattter so much to me."

Richard shook his head, and looked towards Lia. He was coming to a conclusion, as to what to do with himself. It was a temporary plan, something to keep him occupied for a while, maybe get him some loot. However, it was only that - a temporary plan. Still, it was better than nothing, and he resolved to stick to it regardless.
"I'm not really willing to die. Granted, life's not exactly a thrilling option either, but I may as well use what I've been given. I'd help you regardless of reasons, though - we already have people who kill off politicians. And they get pretty grumpy when somebody steals their kill, and I don't fancy being under the same roof as an irritable assassin who's liable to thrust steel through me if I so much as speak out of turn."
Shrugging dismissively at this vaguely macabre fantasy, he leaned forward slightly, though more out of tiredness than anything else. He was struggling to hold up his own body weight, but he still insisted on sitting up. "You ll right to get up? Lying on these surfaces isn't exactly healthy."
As if to emphasise, or perhaps out of common decency, Richard held his hand out - just offering assistance for her to get up, should she wish.

She looked at his hand as if the gesture was something otherworldly before smiling, and pushing herself to her feet. She seemed to be in better spirits, surprisingly. But she doubted that he should use any more energy than he has, not to mention that eventually they would have to get down from this building. If she had suspected such events to occur, she would have chosen somewhere closer to the ground. "Of course I can get up, but though you hide it I can tell your exhaustion. We should find somewhere for you to rest, right? Do you think you can make it down from here?"

"It's fine, really. I just got a little shaken up, is all."
Though attempting to shrug off any notions that he required rest or time to gather himself, he could not hide every little thing. Though he managed to haul himself to his feet, the fact that he was swaying so slightly betrayed that he was unable to maintain himself. And, though his face was plastered with a smirk and that a look that sad he was going to go out and get the world, his eyes told a different story. They were filled with grim determination, with him desperately trying to cling to the vestiges of energy he had somehow had left. He would not normally tire this easily - and he'd been chased by people that, while not as bad, were still life-threatening. It was the fact that he was involved in something much, much deeper that got to him. Rest was arbitrary - he'd caught his breath. It was time to process his thoughts that he needed, but he didn't want to have to say it. Without a further word, he clambered down, though it was in a manner so awkward that even he himself was worried about it.

Her brows furrowed in worry, she called after him, suddenly realizing how correct her assumptions were. "B-be careful, Richard. Don't push yourself." She sighed out, seeing he was trying to keep it from her, failing nonetheless. Exhaustion made him clumbsy, and a fall from exherting himself too much would not be the greatest thing to happen. She herself was tired also, but she hadn't had to run away from herself like he had, of course. He will definately have to rest for a while, she thought, making her way down after him. The sooner they got down, the better chance for a fast recovery.

"I'm fine! Just a little sha-"
Richard never finished his sentence, the main reason being that he had fallen off of the last crate, and was now laying face-down on the ground. He picked himselfhesitantly up, and looked towards Lia. His expression was the epitome of sheepishness, his attempts to hide his mental fatigue no longer being forcibly kept under wraps. Now, they were allowed to trickle out as they pleased. He had not seriously injured himself - though, his face did look a little worse for wear. Then again, given his circumstances, this was hardly surprising.

Making it to the ground she looked to him wide eyed for a moment, before stifling a grin and shaking her head. She stepped in front of him, looking over his face, reaching but not touching what she had discovered; a minor wound, but here anything would need some form of bandaging, it seemed. Oddly enough she seemed to find some humor in the incident, holding a small giggle. "it's okay, just a scrape." She decided to hold his arm over her shoulder, whether against his will or not, and assisted him down the small road, which, since it was surprisingly nighttime by then, was bare of all people. "Shall it be my home or yours?" She mused, pausing to decide where to go. It seemed his place would not be as welcoming, but she might as well ask.

"Considering that my place is full of people who would likely slit your throat if you looked at them funny... I think your place is a better option. Just make sure to maintain a distance of at least three metres at night. The last person who didn't... Well, did you hear the one about the priest and the crossbow?"
Sounding slightly uneasy upon mentioning the holy man and the weapon, the subject was promptly changed. Well, it would be, had the boy come up with anything to change the subject to. He was not one for beginning conversations, more inclined to replying with sharp little quips, or a pained sigh. The few times he did, however, usually opened with him asking for job details, or informing someone of a parcel's delivery. However, he still felt he should at least try, and did try. "So, erm... Where are we going, exactly?"