The Conduit Initiative

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charles smirked while mud spoke. Such wisdom, such intelligence...all from a child no more than 16. Could she really sense his motivation through a simple touch? It was incredible... He waited for Mud to finish talking, listened to Victor's story carefully, then proceeded to speak.

"Forcing people to love you? No...there will be no forcing. They will willingly love you..." He paused for a moment to inhale more smoke from his cigar. "It is true that they have cast you out. But, as humans, we are obsessed with the 'hero.' Obsessed with supporting the underdog. It will be difficult at first, that much is certain. But we owe it to our kind to make a stand, for better or worse....and try to make it a better future for us all."

"So, you want us to take a leap of faith and become real life xmen. If I'm wrong tell me now. And you never answered my two questions, Chuck. What's the catch and are there any guarantees that we will come back from any job we do with you alive? Like i said, my brother was a hero and got shot for what he did because he was a conduit. When people walk by me, they think I'm a huge sabertooth fan, which is partially true. Not gonna lie, but it was more of a cover for my abilities. I've been able to hide in plain sight for all these years and I've helped people from the shadows. Bone blades knocking knives and guns out of a criminal's hands, wires suddenly restraining someone doing wrong before they knew what was happening. Nobody knew who saved them or who caught the criminal. Now we heard your reason for finding us. Tell us the rest of the story. Tell us the parts you're omitting because you don't want to drive us off out of fear."

Charles stood silent, lost in thought for a moment. Victor had called him out in front of everyone in the lobby. Should he really divulge classified information to them? Just so they could say they were well informed? No...he couldn't do that. If he did, the agency would have his head and cut his funding. That wasn't something he could allow. Although he couldn't tell them 'the rest of the story', he could at least answer Victor's question.

"Alright," he began. "You want answers? Fine, you got 'em. Can I guarantee your safety on every job? Of course not. Is there a catch? Yes. I'm asking you to be pioneers. A lot of things you do will be very dangerous, and you might parish without anyone knowing your name. That is the catch; that's the cut and dry truth. Maybe you don't come back tomorrow...maybe society still hates us after this...maybe we put everyone in more danger than they are already in...maybe all our work will be for nothing.." he paused for a moment, sincerity shown in his eyes and a new fire in his voice.

"But...maybe we do succeed. Maybe we get to live our lives like normal people. Maybe we stop this discrimination of our kind and we expose the real criminals. Maybe we produce a future where we are free to walk about the streets without worrying who's around the corner! It's true...you may never come back from one of these jobs. But, before you disagree to this, ask yourself one question. Would you rather die fighting for something? Trying to make this world a better place? Or die in an alleyway off Quaker St. from neglect, knowing no one gives a damn about you?" Charles finished his speech, leaving everyone to question what they really wanted.

He dropped his lit cigar to the floor, crushed the ember with his foot, and began to walk out of the door.

"Guess we' re going to figure out the rest of the story." Victor said with a sigh of irritation. He still didn't feel like he could trust Charles yet, but the man did given one helluva good point. " the chance for a better tomorrow is better than no chance at all. You got the marksman."

(sorry for short post :P waitin for everyone to respond)

Charles stopped dead in his tracks as Victor's voice reached him. He listened closely, and when Victor said he would come with him, he grinned and nodded

"Good, thank you Victor. I'm glad you're a part of the team."

Aberdeen stood there a moment, silent and pensive, with her arms folded over her chest as she mulled over Charles' proposition. Alluring, yes, but it was also dangerous. What if he wasn't being truthful? What if he was just some agent for the government, sent out to rally together all the conduits he could find? The notion seemed unlikely. The fire with which he spoke clearly told of another intention -- a sincere one.

"I'm in," she said.

Aeny was lying on the floor. He had been tired when the older boy answered the door, that was true. Doing what he did had taken a lot of energy from him, but not enough to knock him unconscious. He had been worried that the person on the other side of the door was a policeman, either that or they were working for one. He had listened to this older guys speech though, and he didn't sound like a police officer to him. He sounded like somebody who was offering shelter and food, as well as training in how to perfect his powers.

He decided in his head that it would be worth going just to rest, if he wanted to he could leave whatever facility they were taking him too and return to his current life, when his powers were even stronger.

His eyes snapped open and he stood up, not standing out from any of them, and probably looking moderately ridiculous to the other conduits in the room "where do I sign up?" He said with an air of confidence in his voice.

Mud took longer than the others to respond. She stood tall, replaying his words over and over, thinking deeply. If what he said was true, there would be hope for her after all. And really, how long could she survive alone in this world? This seemed like her best bet, and with a short nod she shook the beads of water still on her clothes and walked toward the others. "Okay," she said confidently. "I'll do it. But can we get some real food?"

(Sorry for the really late reply :p Been busy this week x3)

(Sorry guys! I'll post later tonight! I have been camping pretty much all weekend with no wifi so)

(again sorry, i went to post but iwaku wasnt working. So i'll get a post up ASAP)

Reactions: Dovahkiin
(I might have to close this RP for a little while....I was in an ATV accident and I'm gonna be in the hospital/out of town for a while.....sorry.....)

(You had an accident with your television?)

(I avoided a hospital visit and the place I'm staying for the week has WiFi so I'll be able to RP :3 heads still a bit messed up so sorry if some of my posts are poorly written or confusing)

James looked from side to side at the people in front of him. He didn't know a single one of them. In turn, he didn't know what they were capable of. He didn't know their stories or their problems. James could walk away and separate himself from this right now. He had a steady job and a nice apartment. Everything was going smooth for him...but the thought of those conduits who live in filth and a world of segregation...it was a future that James couldn't allow -- no, WOULDN'T allow. It was time to fight for a greater cause and those of them that couldn't defend themselves. He cleared his throat and stepped closer to he group. "I will fight along side you," he said confidently.

That was it. That was everyone. Charles gave a bright and charming smile to the group before speaking, "Good, I knew you would see it my way eventually. And to think, I had an entire other speech prepared to sway you further." He chuckled before regaining his more serious composure. We will fight for a brighter future. By the end of this," he said looking over the lot. "We 'villains' will be Earth's 'Heroes'." Charles hesitated for a moment, before turning and facing the door. "Come on," he began. "I'll take you to where you'll be staying."

Mud followed him closely, pulling her coat above her head, ready to face what was beyond them beyond the door and in the near future. "So, Charles," she said, glancing up at him, "You can control concrete, right? That's a little like earth...How do you get it to move so easily? I can barely make a mountain out of a molehill when trying to actually make a mountain, but it never seems to work out the way I want to. Most of the time the earth just rises into a blob."

(Also, hoping you're feeling better!!! Always good that one never really steps foot in a hospital <3)

Last edited by a moderator:
Charles chuckled for a moment before looking down to meet her blank stare. "It didn't come naturally. It might seem a bit cliche but, practice makes perfect." He briefly smiled and returned on his path towards the door. "Soon enough, you'll have such a powerful connection with your form of matter that it becomes an extension of yourself. Moving it becomes easy, and you never have to worry about 'slip-ups'."

She snorted good-naturedly. "I doubt it." But she seemed content with the idea and remembered the faces of the people she would be getting to know. "How did you find all of us?" she asked. "And why did you pick us particularly? You knew I was blind, so clearly you have some sort of record on me." She raised an eyebrow and frowned as if she despised the thought.

He smiled as he walked. "You will," he said assuringly. "As to how I found you, I'm a government man. I know how to keep tabs on people. I have my sources," He said pausing for a moment. "Never took my eye of ya." He thought he had an answer to everything she had to throw at him, but her last question made him ponder for a moment. Why DID he choose them? There were plenty of other options...it could have been anyone really. But, they all stood out in one way or another. "I suppose," he began, unsure of his next words. "You were all different."

Status
Not open for further replies.