1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Fantasy Epic, Cyberpunk, (Para)Military, Zombie Survival, Dystopic
Disclaimer: This is not a religious thread. I just think that some of the verses in the Christian Holy Book are pretty awesome. Some are ridiculous. Some are just plain good messages.

So, what sort of verses do you like?

I like Matthew 10:34.
"Think not that I came to send peace, but a sword."

C'mon, that's pretty hardcore.

John 7:24
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.

Makes good sense.

How about some quotes from other ancient texts, too? :]

From the Poetic Edda:

"Well-being I won and wisdom too. I grew and took joy in my growth: From a word to a word, I was let to a word, From a deed to another deed."

Blessed be the Lord My God who teaches my hands to fight and my fingers for War.

Don't remember the verse number. But that was always a favorite.

Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Romans 8:31
"If God is with us, who can be against us?"

There are so many more, but I much prefer the songs that incorporate the verses. I almost find it more intimate because of the whole "make a joyful noise to the Lord" thing

Blessed be the Lord My God who teaches my hands to fight and my fingers for War.

Don't remember the verse number. But that was always a favorite.
Google is your friend; Psalm 144:1

I'm glad we're all going about this correctly. I was worried somebody would be all "bluh bluh religion hate bluh bluh hate bluh" but we're doing well.
[MENTION=987]Celestialis[/MENTION]: Is that why women say "Oh God" during sex?

For false Messiahs will arise and Prophets of lies, and they will give great signs so as to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

It took 6 posts to go from holy scripture to sex, well done people.

Romans 15:1

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.

Had a good chuckle with that. Back on topic.

"Now Ehud had made a double-edged sword about a foot and a half long, which he strapped to his right thigh under his clothing. He presented the tribute to Eglon, King of Moab, who was a very fat man. After Ehud had presented the tributem he sent on their way the men who had carried it. At the idols near Gilgal he himself turned back and said, "I have a secret message for you, O king."

The king said, "Quiet!" And all his attendants left him. Ehud then apprached him while he was sitting alone in the upper room of his summer palace and said, "I have a message from God for you." As the king rose from his seat, Ehud reached with his left hand, drew the sword from his right thigh and plunged it into the king's belly. Even the handle sank in after the blade, which came out his back. Ehud did not pull the sword out, and the fat closed in over it. Then Ehud went out to the porch; he shut the doors of the upper room behind him and locked them."

―Judges 3:16-23

tumblr_m96b5jz7gx1qet6vjo1_500.jpg

Psh! Sex is in the Bible!

Song of Solomon 1:13
"My beloved is to me a sachet of myrrh that lies between my breasts."

From the Voluspa, Bellows' translation. These verses are the Norse story of how humans were made from trees.

17. Then from the throng | did three come forth,
From the home of the gods, | the mighty and gracious;
Two without fate | on the land they found,
Ask and Embla, | empty of might.

18. Soul they had not, | sense they had not,
Heat nor motion, | nor goodly hue;
Soul gave Othin, | sense gave Hönir,
Heat gave Lothur | and goodly hue.

Not to start a fight or anything. But the thread was supposed to be verses from the bible, we could always make another thread for any and all quotes. Just saying...

Pslams 23:4
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me.

I like the version from Jarhead better though.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I am the baddest mother fucker in the God damn valley.

I'm not religious, but the jr. high that I went to for part of my time was the uniform and bible study group type of religious, so I've read it in entirety. I liked Revelations best because holy crap, have you read Revelations?

"Then I heard one of the four living creatures say in a voice like thunder, "Come and see!" I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest." Revelation 6:1-2

I rather like this bit of verse!

Corinthians 15:35-44

But someone may ask, "How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come?" How foolish! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. When you sow, you do not plant the body that will be, but just a seed, perhaps of wheat or of something else. But God gives it a body as he has determined, and to each kind of seed he gives its own body. All flesh is not the same: Men have one kind of flesh, animals have another, birds another and fish another. There are also heavenly bodies and there are earthly bodies; but the splendor of the heavenly bodies is one kind, and the splendor of the earthly bodies is another. The sun has one kind of splendor, the moon another and the stars another; and star differs from star in splendor. So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

This is hands down my favourite. Forget all the dogma and traditional stuff, and it all boils down to this:

Micah 6:8 -
"He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you
But to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your God?"

"And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight."
- Ezekiel 4:12

I'm not religious, but the jr. high that I went to for part of my time was the uniform and bible study group type of religious, so I've read it in entirety. I liked Revelations best because holy crap, have you read Revelations?

"Then I heard one of the four living creatures say in a voice like thunder, "Come and see!" I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest." Revelation 6:1-2

I can't hear that voice without thinking of the Johnny Cash tune "When the Man Comes Around."

Not a religious quote but:

"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is Man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is Self-given. Be careful" - John Wooden

By the way, does anyone know who this is?