The adventures of Mitsusawa and Manish

The presence. That was the first thing that struck Manish as his anger slowly died down was the presence that lurked somewhere amongst the memories, an existence that was simply incomparable to anything that he has witnessed. He could only feel it faintly through the memories of Mitsusawa, but even through this filter, it seemed simply enormous and frightening beyond belief. It was worse than the aura that sometimes seemed to bleed off from legendary monsters, worse than fear of death, the primary fear of man, so Manish could do nothing but instinctively recoil. A part of his mind realised that something like this would crush most souls, especially because of its constant presence in the background of the mind, but for the moment, he was too occupied with just how monstrous and savage the presence was.

Speaking of savage, the entire mindscape that he seemed to be in was devastated. It seemed to be void of most forms of life, expect for the shadows that occasionally peeked around the corner, which made him think about Mitsusawa's nature. He did not know much about how a mindscape was structured, but he was fairly sure that general association still held true even in these metaphorical places. Therefore, a lifeless, ruined scenery like this meant a state of the mind that was similar, yet despite the fact that the woman should be devastated according to his own analysis, she seemed completely normal.

Realising the futility of analysing the mindscape, Manish listened to the words of Mitsusawa, and with each passing word, a bitter taste grew in his mouth. Not only did Mitsusawa tell him that there was no way out of here, she also told him that she needed his help, which was concerning to say the least. He was not trained to fight in a mindscape at all, meaning that he would probably do more harm than good, and despite the reassurances of Mitsusawa that there would be nothing to fear, he was not reassured at all. Currently, he was in a medium about which he knew nothing, a place that was utterly incomprehensible and alien to him. While he liked to study strange phenomena and find out the laws that governed this world, he would never plunge himself into a well of knowledge so recklessly, for being reckless was the source of grand catastrophes.

Then again, it was not like he had much of a choice. He was thrown into this world without his own consent and without warning. It was as if one of his experiments ended up causing something completely out of his control, which was always a risk when he attampted to do something new with the information that was given to him. Gathering his mind and willpower, Manish breathed in deep and clenched his teeth metaphorically, bracing his mind the best he could.

"I will have words for you if this ends," said Manish as he reached for the knob of the door that just came to existence, and opened it.

Indeed what Manish had assumed was partially correct. But as was always the case with Mitsusawa nothing was as it seemed. Her world though not ideal or glamorous wasn't as bleak. But with each passing moment the influence of her shadow had begun to overpower her own will. Thus tainting and contorting her dram world to resemble something far more morbid. The alchemist hesitation was to be expected and so she would refrain from forcing his hand. Instead permitting him to turn the knob of brass at a moment of his choosing.

<o:p></o:p>

Finally the time had dawn, as the door which spawned seamlessly from thin air creaked open. Everything around him would instantly vanish, within seconds replacing the ruined city with that of a darken home. Void of the scent of brimstone and decay, yet still a sense of dread remained. Their current environment evoked a heavy sigh from Mitsusawa's lips. This was a moment of time she'd prefer revealing, a time in which she was helpless. The event from which all others did transpire from.

"If you tell anyone what you see here I'll kill you myself." She forewarned him, unsure if her threat would prove of any merit. Suddenly the crying of a young girl could be heard echoing within these walls. Her shadow being cast across the scene due to the influence of a crackling fire. "This one is simple enough. Walk into the next room…." She explained, not wishing to linger here for long herself. If he took her advice he'd see a young Mitsusawa, her clothes drenched in blood. Her eyes rolling with tears as she loomed over the corpse of a deformed man. A bloody sword shaking vehemently in hand as what appeared to be her brother could be seen assuming the fetal position.

Across the room stood a corpse far too mangled to identify…it was her mother.
"That is my mother…The monster you see dead before you was my father. I killed him that day after he made me watch…He made me watch as he devoured my mother." She stated, biting down on her bottom lip as her arms wrapped around her defined abdomen, clinging herself tightly.

The door would creak open as a man adorned in black, face obscured of shadows approached her. Offering her his hand, as if to tell her all would bee well.
"That was my recruiter for the house of vipers. He promised us a home, safety and a chance to protect others. All proved to be nothing more than honeyed lies. I was weak than, gullible and accepted his offer. I never wanted to be that scared girl again or ever feel so powerless. He took advantage of us…" Mitsusawa would elaborate, her empty green eyes drifting to the frigid wooden floor. Her nostrils widening as she they filled with the aroma of her home.

"Step through the door he entered from to follow the path we were coerced into. We are one more step from being free. There you will find some answers and maybe you may understand the danger your kind posses." She'd conclude, once more vaguely hinting toward her past. It was clear she had no intent of remaining even a second longer within her home.

Manish wobbled as the world in front of him transitioned into something different without even as much as a hint of a warning. It was a disorentiating feeling, but he got over it quite quickly as his mind had endured worse. Naturally, his first instinct was to take a look around to take in the scenery and get a feeling for where he was, however, he was frozen by Mitsusawa's warning. It seemed like the young woman really did not want him to see what was happening here, so he quickly moved on, following her to the other side of the room, where a less than pleasant spectacle awaited him.

So much blood.

That was his first thought upon seeing the scene that depicted a small girl covered in blood, with a sword in her hand, her brother in a state of extreme panic. The small girl's sword was also covered with red blood, which seemed to belong to what remained of a man in the further corner of the room. Clearly, the human was not living anymore, as Manish could barely even recognise the man's body, let alone his features. The worst of it all, though was the mangled corpse in the far side of the room, which seemed more like a pile of dirt, guts, blood and life than anything else. That was the only thing that Manish could compare it to, yet according to Mitsusawa, that... lump was once her mother. He did not know if she loved her or not, but judging by the fact that she mustered up enough resolve to kill her own father suggested so, and as this thought entered into Manish's mind, his right hand immediately bent into a fist.

Of course, he was still angry at Mitsusawa for having whisked him into her mindscape without permission, but what was before him was completely inexcusable. He knew that no one was a saint, especially not him considering some of the results of his experiments, however, he never dared to venture this far. He always treated his subjects with the best possible care that he could provide, always making sure that they were in prime condition. He also never experimented on human beings and while he would kill without hesitation, he felt that the event unfolding before him was absolutely horrible. To murder because it was necessary was one thing. To murder because of... something that he had not quite understood, then deform the corpse so much that it would not even be recognised was heartbreaking. To murder a mother in front of her children was unforgivable.

He listened as Mitsusawa elaborated further, his mind slowly working through the memories that he was forced, trying to put together a picture of the young woman. He knew that whatever memories he would leave with, it would change his perception of the woman forever, because he had already formulated some opinions. He did not let that show on his face, though, instead, listening calmly to Mitsusawa, and when her explanation was finished, he took in the site of the home once more and opened the door.

"Let's not waste time here," he said, speaking a half-truth. He had no intention of studying the work of such a brutal murderer.

Through the threshold they would go, stepping into an abyss of formless swarthy shadows. The kiss of winter's first frigid frost like a mist hung in the darkness. The only reminder that both Manish and Mitsusawa were indeed still alive. As oppose to becoming swallowed by a state of torpor. Within the shadows a distant light would shine, at first a flaccid portraying but black and white displays. Soon giving red to a lush array of vivid colors that woven itself an extravagant design.

<o:p> </o:p>

From the chaos order would be birthed, from the darkness light would shine. And from this void a memory would rise. Bellowing forth yet another daunting tale accompanied by morbid and unforgiving imagery. Once more serving as a testament toward the vipers tortured and bleak history. From this belly of shadows a room would spawn. Illuminated not by the rays of the sun, rather by magical faerie fire. Beneath the earth only a ceiling of heartless stone would greet them. The distant bone chilling cries of innocence fleeting as their calls were silenced.

A blinding flash of light both brilliant yet deceptive. A guise for an act far more insidious than the scene previously witnessed. Amongst an alchemical circle of extreme complexity the bodies of countless men and woman could be found adorning the moist stone covered floor. The new silence was eerie, only the faint distant sound of a rogue water drop or two served as a welcomed distraction.

There on a stone slab Mitsusawa could be sound, still a child bound against her will. Her arms, legs and head strapped to the stone by leather bindings. Around her flocked men of science, prodding her while their inquisitive and curious nature took hold. Her chest gashed open in the form of an X, the wound deep. Her odds for survival were dim at best, for the amount of blood she had lost was immense. There lying powerless they would insert tubes into her chest. If one's wandering eyes followed these tubes they'd find it leading to a bastion. Clear and displaying the life force and souls of tho0se countless humans who were slaughtered in the alchemical circle.

"This is the day I died….Yet was reborn." She poetically added, her eyes drifting ground ward staring at her own toes. That she wiggled and then anchored to the cold deck. Those countless souls were pumped into her body, screaming in sheer agony. Those men of science and logic stared at her as if she were some sort of lab rat. Their eyes filled with joy as parts of her flesh erupted with a beautiful display of crimson and chunks of flesh. Only to be healed instantaneously.

"The body may recover, but the mind is never as tolerant." One of the alchemist would add, her recruiter observing the scene from the shadows. His face void of any discernable emotion. "Many souls fight for dominance, your mortal coil striving to keep the power within from extinguishing your life." He added, the young girl sat there for hours enduring the pain without rest. Her body constantly being destroyed and rebuilt, one could only imagine what sort of mental strain she endured.

"I do not know how many souls were sacrificed to build me. I try not to think about it…I am even unsure if this current soul is my own or a forging of countless souls." Mitsusawa would add, her screams as a child continued as she waited for a reply.

If there is one thing that Manish was constantly forced to learn from time to time again, it was that he had not seen everything, no matter how much he experienced in his life. The first time he had been forced to acknowledge this was when he discovered his talent for assembly magic and it was a point that changed how he viewed everything. There have been a few times after that, but none of them were quite as memorable as discovering that he had a rare ability. However, what he knew that the ritual he was witnessing through Mitsusawa's memories would be also an occasion which would leave great marks on his life and cement the fact that his experiences were far from unlimited. It was also an experience that disgusted him, but fortunately, he managed to keep his emotions in check, even if Mitsusawa could clearly see his aura while they were sharing their mindscape.

The worst part of this experience was that he recognised most of the alchemical formulae and symbols that were in this place, and the few symbols he did not recognise in the circle were quickly analysed by his mind and assigned functions. Even without thinking about the circle, he was breaking it down into components, slowly discerning what each part of the abominable formula meant, even if his conscious mind was repulsed by the idea of studying from such a horrible process. Realising that he could not go against his own nature, Manish started to take in the process consciously, both of his hands shaking as he tried to contain his disgust at what these scientists have done. Not only were they involving a sapient being, said human being was very young and inexperienced, not to mention that it looked like they were doing it without her consent.

"They are monsters," he said as he watched the alchemists talking about Mitsusawa, shuddering at the experiences that flowed into him through the memories, only his own anger and disgust keeping him from absolutely shattering from the memory. He damned these men of science, these alchemists a thousand times in his own head, analysing the alchemical circle over and over again along with the bodies and the props that were required for this abominable ritual, trying to find ways of re-structuring the formula. However, despite how hard he tried, whenever a symbol was removed or altered, the formula would collapse in his mind, telling him that it did not work. All things considered, the effort at taking apart and altering it was futile, because the alchemists looked like they knew what they were doing.

That only made the disgust of Manish elevate to further levels though. Maybe if they did not know about the side-effects of such a process, he could have forgiven them, or at least not damn them as many times as he had. But no, the people around the alchemical circle seemed to be pleased with their work, glad that it affected the young Mitsusawa as such, knowing that their goals were accomplished. It was simply despicable, the way they watched the girl struggle against her restrains and screaming her lungs out, almost as if they were taking pleasure from the fact that she did not hide their pain. Such people were nothing more than abominations.

With that thought, Manish turned to Mitsusawa.
"I have seen enough," he said, his fists shaking as he tried to contain the flood of fury and disgust in him. "Let us move on, Mitsusawa," he added, forcing himself to not pay attention to whatever was going on behind him.

The vicarious greed of men knew no bounds, for all from peasant to men of science, found themselves thirsting for answers. It matters not if the answer lied in a higher power, or the ramblings of a formula. No one can truly fathom the depth of their depravity until such a time as the answers lingered just within the grasp

When one hungered most for that resolution, that they'd sacrifice much to obtain it…some more than others. The poison posed words of the alchemist floated with her mind. Evoking the arching of a brow, as well as a look of perplexity that now adorned her soft to behold face. Her luscious lips would contort, permitting a visible frown to linger. If such men were monsters than what did that make her? After all was she not the spitting image of their sins?

Though Manish tried to obscure and guise his feelings of disgust, Mitsusawa easily saw through such a farce. She needn't not her keen senses nor unusual perception of this world to deduce this much. For such a potent feeling could be felt even among such stale air. The viper would give time for it to ferment. His aura erupted in a lush array of vivid colors that now traced up and down his outline. A brilliant display which admittedly left her awestruck.

Feeling his disdain peak those emerald coated irises of hers would glare at the girl on the stone slab. A sense of weakness now coursed throughout her being. It seemed this daunting memory served just as harrowing for Manish as it did Mitsusawa. What a weak a wretched worm she was. On that day, left to wallow in such pain and woe, the viper recalled a promise made to herself. Nevermore would she be so weak, an oath which she made little progress on.

For though Mitsusawa possessed strength she still felt like a caged bird. Peering through iron bars as it gazed up at the heavens, longing to fly freely to the ends of such a cerulean curtain. Yet despite the clashing of steel, the innumerable corpses that piled at her feet. She was still a prisoner, bound and chained. And with much regret she wore these shackles. Shackles though being made of gold were still shackles nonetheless. In this regard she had not changed at all, she was still tied down to that stone slab…

No more could she keep her thoughts at bay, though her facial expressions and body language painted the picture of her inner disapproval of Manish's words. She still felt the need to audibly declare it.
"Monsters? What does that make me? Am I not the one who houses all those souls? Am I not their creation designed after their sins and image?" she paused, allowing herself to moisten those deprived lips of hers. "I do not expect you to forgive or look favorably toward these men. I am under no delusions regarding their extent of guilt. However I am birthed by your science…by the science forged and sown by those before them. And from their science more like me will be born. I am just the beginning." She did retort.

Mitsusawa did not permit to move on to escape her grasp. However she was unable to grant him this simple wish. Not because she didn't want to, rather she couldn't. For within the shadows an entity that is the embodiment of her own psychological shadows, wove together this play. Like a tapestry it weaved a desired image, one that told no lies. But before she could explain her lack of influence, a thunderous voice would reverberate off of this moss adorned stone walls.

"Foolish uninvited guest, against your own volition you are hurled into a maelstrom you can't fathom. Like a speck of dust you are ensnared by my will, violently and chaotically being hurled about. This domain is mine, as is all that is within it. You will go when I will it, not a moment sooner or later."
The entity paused, giving a moment to observe the insects caught within its web. It's voice drenched in arrogance.

"I will open the way, but not because you will it. Rather for the simple fact I desire it."
It concluded the thought, as a door sprouted just in front of them. It's spawning cold be liken to a tearing of fabric, only void of any sound. The energy within the door way seemed surprisingly table despite it's size or the haste in which it was called on. "Soon I will break free from the parasite that served as my incubator. I will be birthed through the passing of her flesh, freed from this mortal coil." It finished, its words seeming more telepathic than actually audible.

Mitsusawa would not attempt to refute its claims of dominance. Instead she would motion with her hand, as if to reassure Manish everything was well. A notion that was mute, for clearly she lacked control over her own mindscape.
"Do not worry, I promise you no harm. " She proclaimed, offering him a warm smile. "For what little it may be worth to you now…I am glad to have crossed paths with a man like you. Never before have I opened my mind and heart to others, let alone a male." Obviously she lacked social skills, this much was painfully obvious. Still her words rang with a sense of sincerity.

Her dismissal of its words aroused the anger of the entity. Serving as but fuel to his insatiable fire.
"Beyond time, beyond God's chains. Lies the true infinity." It whispered under its breath, its words eluding the others senses.

The presence of another entity, for it could not be called anything else but that, shocked Manish to his core. What had those alchemists done to Mitsusawa, or how did she manage to contain whatever this beast was? He did not know, and even though her words hurt him, he could not help but focus on the voice that seemed to come out of nowhere. He could not identify what sort of being the voice belonged to, nor he could identify if it was a woman or a man. It echoed across the mindscape, its brutal strength enough to frighten most intruders, but then again, Manish was not most intruders. As his mind connected the pieces together slowly, his anger started to flare up even more, however, he clamped down on it so that he would not get lost in this mindscape. No, he would turn the anger into something else and committed the voice to memory, along with the connotations it carried.

"You are a victim," said Manish as he calmed himself down to answer her question. "The creation may take after the creator, but it is never the same. The creation made from a material that is different from that of the creator may never be the same as the creator," said Manish, quoting the laws and principles of alchemy. "You are not a monster even if they tried to make you one," he added, expanding on his opinion before he fell silent again, contemplating the words of both the voice and Mitsusawa. For all the bravado that the voice displayed, Mitsusawa did not seem to be afraid of it, even if it threatened her with death by rebirth. It was as if she did not care at all, which could mean two things: either she was sure of her fate or she was sure that the entity had no claim of her at all. He really hoped that it was the latter, but he knew that thought was too optimistic. One must always assume the worst case scenario.

He pretended that he did not hear Mitsusawa's last words as he was not exactly in the mood to open up to one that had endangered his mind and his life by merging mindscapes. He just simply looked at the door, fortified his mind to hide his thoughts and started listing off prime numbers to keep the entity out of his head. Hopefully, the mental static would be enough to prevent whatever lurked in the mindscape from knowing his secrets, although he knew that was not likely. If anything, it could serve as a distraction for the being, but it would be not long before it figured out how to examine his unconscious mind, where everything was.

Seeing how uncomfortable Mitsusawa was with witnessing this scene, Manish took a step towards the door and opened it yet again to signal his readiness. He wanted to get out of here as soon as plausible.

The strange and nefarious entity evoked no reaction from Mitsusawa, as quickly as it had descended on them, it dissipated. If somehow the creature had troubled Mitsusawa, she failed to express so in either her body language. For while such a being seemed foreign and unknown toward Manish, it was strangely familiar to the viper. Luckily for the mutant the alchemist seemed far too distracted at the moment to inquire into the other presence.

What followed came unexpected; she had assumed that the man had hated her for what she had done. Uncertain if he viewed her as friend or foe, though if any resentment were festering, she would not take offense. After all, her approach had proved unconventional, perhaps even bordering on psychotic. Of this truth Mitsusawa was under no delusions. His words though founded on falsehood proved comforting. For no matter what defense Manish were to muster, her mind was set. She had wholly accepted her existence and what it meant, blaming not the men who experimented on her against her own volition.

Instead she opted to cast all blame on the weak child she was, proving unable to refute her own errors. And even if somehow she could agree that she was wronged, that would fail to diminish her own guilt in the transgression. The once bland expression that dared o linger on her face did fade, giving birth to a genuine smile. A sign that at the very least, the alchemist managed to provide her with some tangible, if not flaccid sense of comfort. Which at the moment, was more than she could have hoped for.

"Thank you for such honeyed words Mr. Manish, sadly though I embraced such power at first. At the very least I am tainted, perhaps not as much as those men, but tainted nonetheless." She retorted, unsure of how he would feel toward her pessimistic attitude. Though she doubted very much he'd hold such thoughts against her, for few would of walked away from such an encounter unscarred. Least of all a child…

As Manish stepped through the door, only darkness would greet him. Silence proved his only comfort, though none could tell how much time elapsed, either in the mindscape or back in their own plane of existence.

Out from the darkness a light had crept, piercing its swarthy influence with basking warmth. A sign to them both that life still coursed throughout their mortal coils. Once more a vivid display of light greeted them, shifting across the vast array of colors within the spectrum. Suddenly the two found them neither in that darken room, nor within the door of shadows. Here it was bright, spring time as the flowers were in full bloom. The sun hung in the air, occasionally being shielded by a passing cloud. But despite this sheer serenity, something was amiss.

There within a field, surrounded by giant walls of Onyx, the world's darkest stone, a young Mitsusawa could be seen. No older than fourteen at this point in appearance, with wooden sword trembling in her hand. Lying on the ground trembled another child, a male a year younger than her at this point. Clearly they had participated in some sort of duel, no doubt as part of their training. Stepping form the crowd of spectators, all of which children, a man adorned in black crept toward Mitsusawa's side. Placing his hand on her shoulder, squeezing it firmly as he crouched whispering into her ears.

Normally such words proved inaudible, but in the mindscape his voice was projected outside the norm, gracing even Manish's ears.
"He has failed, he must die. Fret not child, for through his sacrifice you will be glorified. It is the will of the House, the will of God." His lips morphed, a grimace grin, stern and frigid greeted the troubled child. Who so far had yet to take the life of another. Clearly the child was filled with doubt, hesitating as she should.

"If you do not than both your blood will be spilled, thus the tenets commands, so shall it be done!" The man proclaimed as if to make an example of the young Mitsusawa in front of all of the other children. Knowing she had no choice the child charged, tears trickling down her face as she relentlessly beat the boy with her wooden sword. The sight caused a frown to linger on the grown vipers face. "This is the day…the day I lost what little innocence I had left." A heavy sigh parting from her luscious lips, a sign of her inner frustration with her own memories.

From afar he watched, the maleficent entity writhing out of the ecstasy Mitsusawa's frustration brought. He could feel her mind weaken, and with every lost inch his power grew. It wouldn't be long now, soon he would be free from this prison of flesh and bone. And there was nothing this little child or her friend could do to thwart his rebirth.

Manish found himself agreeing with Mistusawa despite his principles. She was not a monster, of course, but she was also not innocent. After all, everyone committed one sin or more in their life. It was just the gravity of these sins that made people different from each other, that made the difference between a holy man and a despicable bandit who killed so that he may live. Even the holiest of priests, the most pure had their secrets, for such was human nature that they could not always control their desires, their inner animal. That is something Manish has accepted a long time ago, especially when he saw how true it was. After all, he only wanted to make life better through his own research, to discover even more fundamental laws of alchemic theories, and now here he was, fleeing from the authorities, whom chased him rightfully.

What he encountered on the other side of the door, though, was not something he expected, nor something he could have been prepared for. Coming from an a relatively enlightened part of the world, he had known the concept of child soldiers and the conscription of children, but he had never seen such a thing before until he saw Mitsusawa kill another child. Until that moment, he thought that such ideas were beyond the civilised world that he lived in, but then he realised that whoever those men were, they saw only their goal. As such, they thought themselves to be exempt from all laws of morality, which Manish found despicable. He could not deny, though, that an army trained from birth or from early on life would be supremely effective, especially if they were enfused with the result of alchemical circle. Even though the thought itself was sickening, there was a certain logic to it that Manish could not help but agree with on a level.

However, killing subjects who failed to meet expectations was a waste. After all, such a failure could be the result of misfortune, not to mention that even if a subject failed in one particular area, there was no reason that they should be killed, because they could excel in other areas. When Mitsusawa was forced to kill the other child, Manish saw nothing but wasted potential and felt nothing but contempt for the people who made these children what they were. Subjects who were so rare should have been studied, especially if they were willing to use such a disgusting and repulsive method to create them, the survivors of which method were so few. He could not really believe that these people were scientists, but then again, maybe they would vivisect the corspes after the duels to find out what made them able to survive an onslaught of souls. However, if they did that, then they were just stupid. The soul was an incorporeal thing and the structure of the human brain was too complicated for anyone to tell which part was responsible for which property.

Manish just shook his head at the words of Mitsusawa and the scenery before him.
"They are idiots," said Manish, letting his disapproval of their methods show clearly on his face. Why were they being so wasteful with what they made? He did not know, but he felt like their reason was something shallow, like not allowing the 'weak' to live. "Let's just move on," he added as he took a deep breath. Just how deep into her memories did Mitsusawa want to take him?

Manish was a man of logic, in this regard Mitsusawa had trouble distinguishing him from those that "birthed" her. Even now, as an innocent life had been slaughtered by her hands, a future destroyed. The only thing that seemed to trouble the alchemist was the waste of a resource. What did this make her in his eyes, the viper questioned to herself? Was she just a pile of research notes that so happen to have legs? If given the chance, would he dissect her?

Such thoughts proved as morbid as they did troubling. But now was not the time to question such things, after all whether or not he viewed her as a being or an equation with symbols, mattered not. The only thing of true import was the goal aimed in all of this, which at the moment had still eluded his keen observations. Mitsusawa gave the corpse one final glance, he seemed peaceful, his fate kind. When compared toward those who had survived, those who saw fit to linger.

"As you wish." Mitsusawa replied while stepping ahead of him. As a final door manifested out of thin air. "Let us hurry this along." Suddenly the world around them melted away, as the door flew open, sucking everything into its mouth. Instead of darkness they were met by a bright light, as strands of memory raced passed them. Random images of her past, some violent, some peaceable, even a few sexual moments were freely on display. Mitsusawa cared not if he peered into the fleeting memories, for this was a risk she had assumed by taking him into her world.

Suddenly the light faded as quickly as it appeared. As they both found themselves standing not within a memory, but the same old decaying city set ablaze as before. Around them stood only destruction, save for one hope that grew between rocks. A single flower flourished, as beautiful as any. This plant stood proudly against the scorching howling winds, the blacken sun and the crumbling structures around them. It was a sign of life the scythe that claimed this world had spared.

Those soulless green eyes of hers averted toward the flower, as a heavy sigh parted from her lips. The arches contorted, morphing into a subtle smile that adorned her picturesque face.
"This is my hope. The single star in a sea of swarthy shadows, the only light that can penetrate through this death, my only savior and my only strength, is this single flower." She whispered, just audible enough for Manish to pick up on her words. "It may not look like much, but this flower is the most beautiful thing in this world." Mitusawa picked up her gaze, those lifeless jaded irises of hers resting now on Manish.

What she said was true, at first this flower seemed insignificant, but if one were to look more closely. They could sense the unbridled power that coursed through its thin stem and lush petals. For within this lonely plant lurked the greatest power of all, one that has driven men to accomplishing impossible feats, that being hope.

Suddenly as if appearing out of thin air that alien presence could be felt as it melted into their sight. A being cloaked in a robe of fiery shadows, eyes like orange lanterns pierced through a rolling sea of darkness. Slowly an iron claw jolted from the fire of its hatred, beckoning both Manish and Mitsusawa into its embrace.
"I have waited for this day, since I was inserted into your body child. Years I watched you and those around you grow, from viper to human." It stated as it reached into its body, pulling out a blade of raw energy from its flesh. Assuming the word flesh could describe what it was this being was made out of.

Suddenly a door had opened near the flower, Manish's part was done and Mitsusawa saw no reason to keep him.
"Thank you, you may go now." She whispered. "Clare awaits you on the other side." No doubt confusion would set in, later though she'd explain her reasons for inviting him. "Tell her I am doing the taboo. She'll understand. I am also certain she'll be able to explain your part in all of this. And how you may have saved my life." Suddenly, as soon as these words parted from her mouth the beast rushed toward her. Swinging it's heavy blade downward.

Mitsusawa stepped her lead leg forward, raising his blade horizontally up, one hand resting on the hilt while the other nested near the tip of the sword. Blocking the attack as spark flew from off her blade. Her hands shaking vehemently as she attempted to keep his strike at bay.

At first, Manish thought that they were back at the start of the mindscape, and almost started questioning Mitsusawa about her intentions, however, he was reassured when Mitsusawa pointed out the flower in the centre of the desolate landscape. Immediately, relief flooded over him, but he quickly collected himself so he would not fall prey to the dangers of this mindscape. So far, he was performing well enough, as even though he witnessed such horrible events from the past of the woman, he was still sane. Regrdless of that, though, he wanted to get over this as quickly as possible, so as soon as Mitsusawa finished her words and the monster emerged from the darkness, he immediately started looking for the exit that lead out of the mindscape. In his franctic search, the door eluded him first, but then the movement of the abomination called his attention to it.

Without a second thought, the man of reason and logic circled around the two fighting halves of the mindscape, not wanting to get involved in the fight. He quickly moved to the door, then he pressed the knob with outmost certainty, opening the door so that he may return to his body. He quickly stepped through it, then shut it behind him with an imaginary key before he faded away from mindscape, a precaution which he did not even take consciously. For a brief second, he wondered if this meant that his mind accidentally locked Mitsusawa's into her own mindscape, but then, his consciousness returned to his body, jolting him from his sleep. Naturally, his first reaction was to take his greatcoat off and start undoing the spirit cloth on his chest.

He did not care about the reaction of Mitsusawa nor Claire. He just wanted to get the damn thing off him, lest he be taken into the mindscape again and risk losing his mind or something even worse. Because of his franctic movements, it took him several minutes to get it off and he looked rather strange doing it, but at least he was free of the mind-merge or however one wanted to call it. After he was finished with the cloth, Manish was visibly relieved and put his greatcoat back on, then handed the spirit cloth back to Claire.

"Give this back to Mitsusawa. Tell her that she should ask for permission next time," he said coldly to the companion of Mitsusawa. He really did not want to repeat that experience and once he forged his staff again, he was sure that he would be studying the merging of minds for a long time. And then, when he knew enough about them, he would make a material which prevented that from occuring and coat his body with it.

With Manish gone Mitsusawa felt a burden uplifting itself from off her shoulders. The Alchemist had assisted her as planned; his intrusion stirred the nefarious entity that shared her mind from its content state of mind. Forcing a confrontation whilst they each shared an almost equal place in the mindscape, lest her odds diminish. The old viper knew Manish would undoubtedly harbor ill feelings toward her, something that was fine in her eyes. For his scorn was far better than permitting this shadowed beast control of her mortal coil.

Deep within Mitsusawa felt the stinging pain of guilt, for she knew though her intents could be justified, her method could not. She could only hope that somewhere, within the slave of Logic's mind, forgiveness lingered. But now was not the time to set her mind astray, to wander deeply into thoughts of regret.

With blades locked both her and the shadowed figured stood on equal ground, hand shaking vehemently under the weight of its swing. Mitsusawa imagined now the smile that lingered beyond the influence of that obscuring curtain of darkness that shrouded the entity's face. This being was proud, a vice merited, but still a short coming nonetheless. If she exercised caution even this old viper could come away from this dance of blades as victorious. All she needed to do was admire that flower.

The one thing in this world that proved resilient, the last fragment of what she used to be, her final innocence and humanity…

Clare had jumped when she heard the frantic breathing of the alchemist, her bicolored eyes watching him closely as he attempted to undo the cloth wrappings. She knew now that her superior actually went through with it, a disturbing notion the likes of which had grave implications beyond anything Manish could fathom.

"So t'e runt is alive?" A voice foreign to Manish bellowed, as a group of dwarves that eluded his detection due to his frantic state stood firmly, stroking their beards. "So lass I suppose this bodes ill for ol' Mitsusawa eh?" The leader questioned, his black and grey stripped beard obscuring the movements of his cracked lips. Clare could only narrow her eyes, sighing heavily as her hands rested along her feminine hips.

"So it seems father." She replied, the word father standing out the most. This dwarf prideful and strong is indeed her father, not by birth for clearly she had not a drop of dwarven blood in her. Rather he was Clare's adoptive father, a rare case amongst one of her kind. "Aye, well regardless she'll be find, you'll see." The jet black haired dwarf responded, his eyes resting on Manish who no doubt was disoriented. "You must be t'e alchemist?" He mused, stroking his beard. "Well your stronger than you look, most would have had their minds crushed by the mindscape of a viper. Yet you seem unharmed and hardly scarred."

A hint of respect reflecting in his tones, Clare merely shrugged her shoulder, doubting the soundness of her father's words. For though his mind was intact, this much she could not refute, Clare doubted very much Mitsusawa's memories were sitting well with him. Then again, he was an alchemist, and a skilled one at that.

"Manish, though you may not realize it…you save her life. Or at least granted her a chance…" Clare bite down on her lower lip, unsure how to continue as her face cringed together. Displaying a sense of regret and fear. "We viper's do not live long, the curse of our blood. Mitsusawa has lived longer than most, the fact she hasn't already turned is a miracle in and of itself." Vaguely Clare involuntarily hinted toward the nature of their demise.

No doubt now Manish could put two and two together, the nefarious entity wreathed in shadows was as much of Mitsusawa as the woman lying unconscious on the floor. And that all vipers have such a mindscape and being within them, one that grants them some power in exchange for their bodies. Few ever achieve a symbiotic relationship with their shadows.
"I know you must be angry, with both of us. I cannot ask you to forgive us, so I shall not. But for what little it may be worth, I thank you. Though I doubt you care for the idle praise and appreciation of an abomination like me."

The word abomination caused the elder dwarf, and leader of the band to cringe. He hated hearing his daughter refer to herself in such a manner.
"Let Sher'goth offer you some jewels and gold t'ere human. For saving me daughter and me friend. Don't try an' say no, for my pride will hear none of t'at humility you humans cling so desperately to." The dwarf tactfully spoke with a bow, his form of introduction. His words poised with an unnatural sense of social etiquette for one of his kind.

As they spoke, deep within her mind Mitsusawa was engaged in a dangerous dance of blade and skill. Suddenly her body shook from side to side, as cuts and bruises began to manifest themselves on her physical body. A testament toward the battle within…

Manish was understandably surprised at the appearance of the dwarves, and he was even more surprised when it turned out that the leader of the dwarves was actually the father of Claire. As a result, he did not know what to say at first, and just awkwardly stood there as the dwarf offered him jewelry or gold, neither of which he really had use for as an alchemist. Of course, gems could have been transmuted into magical stones with the help of another mage, but it was nothing that he could not do himself if he was given enough time. As for the gold, he had saved up a lot before he started travelling, so he was still good to go for quite a while, especially if he took it into account that he spent it at a ridiculously slow rate due to his long journeys.

What he did know, though, is that it was quite rude to refuse an offer from a dwarf like that, so he considered the words of the man for a while, shelving the issue of the two assassins for later deliberately. Then, he had an idea.

"What can you offer? Ordinary stones are of no use," he said, looking directly into the eye of Sher'goth, as much as the height difference would allow him to do so. He reasoned that if the dwarf offered jewelry and gold, then surely, he must have had some kind of stone that not even an alchemist could synthetise from the proper materials, especially because Sher'goth seemed to somehow know that he was an alchemist. While he was a bit suspicious about that, he just assumed that Claire told her father of him as he was wandering the mindscape of Mitsusawa, just like he would have if he met one of his good friends.

At the thought of Mitsusawa, a shiver ran down the spine of Manish, reminding him of the matter that he so casually brushed aside. Of course, his problem was not with Claire, but with her partner, the one who forced him into her mind. Now that the dwarf confirmed his knowledge and suspicions, he made a note to be even more careful around Mitsusawa in the future and demand an apology of her in exchange for his 'services' and risking the integrity of his own mind, his first and foremost tool. Yes, that would be enough, he nodded internally as his eyes shifted to Mitsusawa, which was when he noticed that there were wounds opening on her.

"What?" asked Manish as he stepped towards Mitsusawa to observe the process. He had not seen anything like that before.

His words intrigued the Dwarf; rarely did he meet a human that piqued his interest. His attempts to negotiate made him seem more dwarf than human if anything, the thought meriting a chuckle from the round belly leader. Casually he stroked his gray and black stripped beard as he pondered over this one's words.
"I suppose an alchemist would have little use for such simple trinkets. Tell me boy, w'at toys interest a human such as yerself?" Sher'goth's eyes trickling down toward Mitsusawa, a frown now setting in where cheer and intrigue once lingered.

He had known this viper for awhile, almost as long as he had known his own daughter Clare, and understood much about their kind. With weary eyes he'd cast his daughter a cold glare, as cold as the frigid winds of their homeland. All Clare could do under such potent eyes was avert her gaze, a sense of guilt stirring within her. Her father taught her to be honest, and though she hadn't lied, she did withhold information.

At this time the ever observant dwarf was able to put two and two together, figuring out that Manish was forced into the mindscape. Though he was certain Mitsusawa wouldn't do so unless totally necessary, he still found the thought to be revolting to say the least. And the fact that his daughter had a part in it left a foul taste in his mouth.
"I see now…" He whispered under his breath, his words barely audible. Casually Sher'goth did pat his belly before glancing back at the body of Mitsusawa.

Though Clare could not make out his words, she understood the general displeasure wrought by his undertones. That alone was enough to burden her greatly with guilt, for the first time in a long while, she disappointed her father. The one figure that saw past her birth, which saw her as more than a monster, the one who made her feel alive…and human.

"Well I believe the Lad here deserves an explanation." The dwarf bellowed his voice as deep and firm as the stone he so loved. Understanding full well the confusion stirring within the human, who had for the moment earned an ounce of respect from the dwarven leader. Clare sighed, unable to deny his logic, though unsure of how Manish would handle the truth. For though she strived to be human, she constantly found herself being stalked by a monster. One without form, one who couldn't be slain with a blade, this enemy was her…or at least a part of her.

"I agree." She forced the words out of her mouth, trying to remain calm and confident, yet the façade did little to mask her inner guilt. "Mr. Manish there is much you do not know about us. If you'd permit it I'd like to explain things with words. We are not assassins as you theorized; we slay neither man nor sentient being lightly. What we hunt is blight on the land as old as time itself, an evil that knows no clemency nor can it be sated. Our organization…or rather order has assumed the responsibility of limiting this disease." She paused, as if trying to muster together the right words.

Their plight and tale was a story the dwarf heard often, yet never has it dulled in his eyes. While most might deny their claims, he experienced firsthand the strength of the enemy she spoke of.
"To do so we are interwoven with the souls of innocents, and the flesh of monsters. It grants us innate powers beyond that of any human. We manage to manifest our shadows, the darker aspects of our psyche into this plane. But such magic comes at a cost…"

Her words being interrupted as Mitsusawa began to shake vehemently, as more wounds began to adorn her mortal coil. Her eyes began to roll into the back of her head as she began to seizure.
"In time we lose ourselves to this power, what humanity we possess is lost to the darkness. Our bodies mutate and we become something we despise. Each time we call on our powers, it comes at a price. Given enough time…we all become monsters. Mitsusawa was nearing her end; she theorized she could consume this nefarious entity before it did her. But needed to arouse it from its complacency first, thanks to you she is now fighting it within the mindscape. Her body suffers every wound and the fate as her mental form."

The dwarf sighed, feeling rather down due to the events at hand. But he had to remain strong, for humans can smell weakness, and no dwarven son should ever be perceived as weak.
"Aye, but that one is too stubborn to die." Sher'goth replied, trying to reassure himself, as much as his daughter all would in fact be well

"If she fails, it is my duty to kill her. If she succeeds, she will most likely be hunted by our order. No matter what, fater this mission she will become a fugitive and my enemy. A fate we have both accepted…" Her eyes trailing earthbound as these final thoughts parted from her luscious lips. Stepping forward Sher'goth placed his right hand on her back, hoping to still his daughter.

The explanation which Claire gave to Manish regarding the nature of the viper clan made no logical sense to Manish. He could not understand why they sacrificed so many innocents just to give someone so much power, because they could have always hired mages en-masse from the money it would take to "recruit" so many people for their experiments. Then they had to pay for the training costs, feeding the children, disposing of the bodies and other logistical problems. It would have been more logical to just train child soldiers and harden the ones who seemed to be especially talented, then select the best of the best to use them as a force against an enemy. At least, that was the case, unless the entity these vipers seemed to be fighting was too powerful to be damaged by ordinary weapons or magic, in which case Manish could see the need for such atrocities, although it did not made him less disgusted by the house of vipers.

However, the prospect of an enemy which was too powerful to be defeated by conventional magic, even if such a magic was to be applied on an army scale, intrigued Manish. What kind of creature could withstand so much magical power being poured around it? Even though magic seemed to be able to heal, he had seen too much magic make grass die or cause burns to the flesh. It was surely a strange substance with even stranger properties which changed in relation to the intentions and aptitude of the user. However, whenever too much magic was gathered in one place, it always seemed to lead to unpleasant things happening, not to mention that such nexuses of magic would often explode violently, purging all life nearby.

"If your daughter tells me about this enemy," said Manish to Sher'goth, considering his words carefully, "then you will not be indebted to me," he said as he walked over his bag and started rummaging in it. Mitsusawa needed at least some assistance with her fight based on the constantly multiplying injuries on her body. He was looking for anything that might serve as a bandage, because he knew that if Mitsusawa was left alone for too long, she would surely bleed out. Then, the spirit cloth came to mind, so despite his disgust, he grabbed it and stepped closer to Mitsusawa.

"Claire, will harm come to her mind if I tie this around her?" asked Manish of Mitsusawa's companion, knowing that the young woman knew far more about that cloth than him.

The Dwarf seemed displeased with the Alchemist request, seldom was the one to coerce his daughter into anything. Such was not the way of his prideful people, for though Clare was a female, he still respected her free will. As much as he wanted to assist the fellow, he knew the choice was not his to make, rather his daughters.
"I see.." He paused, stroking his wild beard.

"T'ere is not'in can do for you lad. My daughter is as stubborn as t'e stone, and just as resilient. If she wishes to aid ya so be it, ot'erwise ain't not'in I can do to help ya." The old dwarf offered the man a solid nod, as if to say his decision was final. But he had a feeling Manish would respect his standpoint, perhaps taking interest in this uncharacteristic move for a dwarf.

Clare's lips widen, giving way to a smile, birthed from the heartfelt words of her old man. Truly she considered herself blessed; the approval oof his daughter was nearly enough to melt his old heart, though he would strive to remain unmoved in the presence of his men. He needn't display his emotions for Clare to understand them; after all, she understood his stubborn pride and valued it.

"Thank you father." She whispered weakly, her gaze averting from the dwarf to the alchemist who still wanted to aid Mitsusawa, this gesture proved of much relief. For though he was still angry, justifiably so, Manish still sought to lend a hand. This reflected positively on his character.

"Bah!" Was the only retort he Sher'goth offered toward his daughters words, still trying desperately to maintain his rigid appearance. The female viper knew that her words regarding their enemy would do little to sedate Manish's thirst for knowledge, being a man of logic words seemed empty compared to first hand experience. Still she hypothesized that some measure of satisfaction could be derived from a brief explanation.

But before she could muster the proper words, the inquiry poised regarding the bandages took premise, as it should.
"No harm will come to her." Clare replied, certain that a simple response would suffice, purposely failing to explain how such an act would inevitably increase Mitsusawa's odds drastically.

Finally she returned her mind's eye toward his suggestion, not wanting to evade the question the viper finally addressed his wishes.
"Our enemy is not of this plane, yet they flock and migrate toward our world. Feasting on the life force and flesh of sentient life. Getting stronger with each successful hunt…" Her explanation was brisk, for certain details were classified.

"If you wish for details you need only linger awhile longer, being a man of science I am certain you'd rather examine this entity in person. I lack the academic knowledge as well as permission to go into deep detail." This was her tactful way of informing the man that he was not on a need to know basis within their organization.

At the same time certain details regarding their enemy even escaped her grasp, for one of her rank was also limited in their avenues of approach regarding intel. Clare did cast her superior a weary gaze, unsure of how her friend was fairing. Truthfully she felt powerless, useless given her current dilemma. For though she could force her way into the mindscape, the consequences could prove fatal for both of them…

As all of this played out, Mitsusawa remained unaware of the events transpiring outside of her mind. Currently the only world that mattered was the morbid condition of her mindscape, if she failed to consume the being here and now, it would fall on Clare to correct her mistake. A gruesome epiphany that did little to sooth her fear ridden heart.

The clash of steel rang throughout the void of this world, as the two entities battled with unbridled tenacity for dominance. Sparks flew every which direction as countless swings connected, a dance of the raven had begun to consume both beings. Each party understood clearly what failure meant, and none were willing to give away the ghost so lightly.

If the nefarious entity wreathed in fiery shadows had a face, a maleficent grin would linger on it. However those bloodthirsty eyes alone proved all the information needed, and though Mitsusawa was blind, she still sensed its hunger barreling down on her.
"You have fared longer than I expected, but I wonder…How much longer can you hold out?" The entity purred, hoping to burrow itself within the mind of his adversary. His attempts of intimidation fell on deafen ears, for there was far too consumed by the battle to pay such idle bantering any heed.

Her wounds had begun to take their toll, as her chest expanded and retracted out of labor, feeling the exhaustion did little to comfort Mitsusawa. She knew that she was living on borrowed time, but she needed only a little longer before attempting the impossible.
"Just a little longer…" She spoke too herself, her words inaudible when compared to the grinding of their blade as they locked. Everytime her heart sunk due to despair, she needed only to recall the flower, the stood against the fiery wind and destruction ever so defiantly...

Those bicolored eyes drifted down toward Mitsusawa, noting the sweat and shallow breathing from her superior. She knew now that Mitsusawa was pushing herself toward exhaustion on purpose. She needed to break herself down in order to rebuild herself, a dangerous gamble to be sure.
"Mitsusawa knows more of them than I, if she survives the ordeal her words may prove more fulfilling."

Clare proclaimed, confident this would oly heighten the man's resolve to keep the senior viper alive. Clare lacked medical knowledge, her body could heal quickly on its own, this was her greatest skill as a viper; one that had served her well through the years.

Manish only nodded at the response of Claire, as even if it had given him no useful information, at least he now had a slight idea of what the vipers were fighting against. While he was a bit surprised by the dwarf's politeness and indulgence considering his daughter, he quickly wrote it off as a strong familial bond between the two and did not think of it anymore, dismissing it as unimportant in light of the current situation. Right now, Mitsusawa's survival was top priority, both for him and Claire it seemed, as he was sure that neither of them would like to face the monster which was in the mind of Mitsusawa. Even if it could only take over her mind, attacking the body of an old companion is something that not many were willing to do and he would be only able to hold out against Mitsusawa for so long.

As such, both to preserve the life of Mitsusawa and so he could indulge more in his search for knowledge, Manish started expertly tying the spirit cloth around the wounds of the woman, making sure that it was tight enough to restrict the flow of blood. Then, he walked over to his bag and started rummaging in it to see if he had some cloth left with which he could make some additional bandages. However, there was nothing that he had in there, which reminded him of the fact that he himself had bandages on. Carefully inspecting them with his eyes and his hands, he realised hat some of them were not needed anymore, so he carefully took them off and then poured some water over them from his backpack so as to clean them. He then tied those around the other wounds of Mitsusawa, making sure that he removed the alchemical seals from them first so they would not interfere with her own magic.

"I have heard of beasts from other planes only in old myths," said Manish as he was tying the bandages around the wounds of Mitsusawa, reminding himself of one golden rule: Never dismiss fiction as a mere tale. All fiction originates from somewher, but at times, that origin is impossible to find. "But I did not think they would have to be fought in this way. Does traditional magic not work on them?" he asked as he stood up, inspecting the work he had done on Mitsusawa. He wrapped up every wound that he could with the bandages, however, new ones kept appearing which made him frown. Just what was going on in that mindscape of hers?

The darkness had begun to settle on the scene, as the wintry grip of death grasped tightly around Mitsusawa's frail neck. She knew the odds for survival were slim, she understood this prior to her blade being drawn. Yet with unwavering resolve she faced her fearsome adversary with courage. Each elegant swipe of her blade equaling the same level of unnatural tenacity and aggression as the shadow.

Metal rang, as sparks flew, their swift and graceful leg work like that of a waltz. Her endurance struck the nefarious entity as troublesome, he had expected her to be dead by now, yet despite how many clean hits he landed, she still pressed onward. The wounds he inflicted healed, as if she could regenerate on the same level as a troll. Narrowing his eyes the shadow finally understood what was going on, even if Mitsusawa hadn't. That troublesome alchemist, who escaped his realm, was undoubtedly to blame. But what puzzled him the most was the man's motive, for he had assumed them to be enemies, yet here he was aiding her as if they were comrades?

His wandering mind would prove an error, as Mitsusawa managed to parry his volley of swings, sneaking in a few deadly jabs of her own. The tip of her blades pierced it's shadow wreathed form, yet no blood had been drawn. A loud mechanical shrill penetrated the normal clamor of combat, a daunting reminder of her foes inhuman nature.

On the outside what happened next caught even Clare off guard, pausing she refused to answer Manish's questions. A look of fear and despair crept on her picturesque face, the color that once adorned her radiant skin had faded, becoming pale as if she was running a fever. To the normal untrained eye, the horrors she sensed would remain elusive, though the foreign emissions were reverberating stood as irrefutable. Giving way to a sense of uneasiness...

Mitsusawa struggled to remove her blades from the creatures flesh, but like quick sand, the harder she struggled, the quicker they were drawn in. Like a snake the shadows erupted from his wound, slithering up her blade toward the hilt, and though Mitsusawa tried to let go, she discovered a spell of paralysis had somehow woven itself over her. Though this spell was mental, a sense of dread and fear associated with one's final waking moments.

The darkness engulfed her in a cocoon of ethereal matter, of which there was no escaped. In total silence, in a realm void of light she floated, the minutes seemed like eons, as the fear of being alone once more dawned on her. Despite her strength and growth, she had finally discovered that the sad, weak, pathetic girl had never died....She never changed.

On the outside world, the same cocoon of darkness formed, cutting off Manish and the others from Mitsusawa. Clare understood how critical the next moment would be, and the task placed on her shoulders if her superior should fail. "Run father! Your axe will do you no good here!" She barked, the dwarves reluctantly withdrew outside of the home, shame and fear filling their stony hearts.

Clare glanced at Manish, offering him a nod, exhaling heavily. "You will have your answers now it seems." She replied, unsure if Alchemy could effect one of it's kind. "I suppose this is a crude experience unless you plan to flee...I will not blame you for doing so. After all...this is my burden to carry." She explained, not wishing to push the alchemist into a corner. The cocoon had begun to crack, as if something unholy would soon be birthed into this world.

"The entity acted out of haste, it consumed Mitsusawa too early...if we hold it off she may prove the stronger will. Though what happens after that is only theory..." She hinted toward the experiment Mitsusawa was running, using herself as the test subject. But anything, even leaving your fate up to chance, was better than certain demise.

"What the hell is Mitsusawa doing?" yelled Manish as he instinctively put distance between him and the strange creature which seemed to have consumed the woman. It was only a coccoon, an egg yet, but even though it was in its infancy, Manish could still feel the strangeness radiating from it, the odd feeling of something indescribable coursing through his veins and spreading through his body. It was as if a parasite embedded itself in his body, spreading its tentacles far and wide so it could control his body without consent, only it was much worse because it was still hatching. It was not conscious yet. It was waiting to be born so it could destroy, devastate and then warp what everyone, even Manish held dear. Such was the presence of this strange creature.

Therefore, it must be destroyed. No matter how much scientific knowledge could be gained from such an incredible being, if it held so much power and so much contempt, it could not live, for one should never let their dangerous inventions turn hostile. One should always do damage control to make sure that the creature which was being experimented on was always under control no matter the circumstance. Acting against this axiom of science and reason was a sin. As such, no matter how curious Manish was about this incubating parasite, or however one may call it, he understood that he must destroy it. That was also a sin, but it was the lesser of two evils as he could not even imagine what sort of destruction this creature could cause if it was free to roam the lands of this world.

So without delay, Manish forced himself to adopt his combat mentality, took a look at his surroundings and noted that the world turned dark around them and there was nothing he could use against this abomination. That meant he had to create something of his own, and he just had the idea. Reinforced armour, reinforced weapons with nigh-infinitesimal edges would make short work of whatever the hatching thing was. He just needed time to create them and their would be-wielders, but fortunately, he had a helping hand.

"Can you distract it as I work?" asked Manish as he drew his alchemists' knife, already formulating the alchemical circle in his mind which would be required for his plan. He really hoped that Claire could perform just as well against this thing as she had performed against the skeletons, though such hopes were likely futile.

The thought of slaying a dear friend failed to sit well with Clare. Even now, as the cocoon emitted a vile aura, the faint traces of her superior still lingered. This epiphany birthed hope, though that hope was as frail as ever. Casually she glanced at Manish as he spoke, once more needing to use Clare to buy him sometime, so that he could formulate one of his vile equations. The viper understood his position; normally she would take comfort in his equations and symbols. However Clare couldn't accept or embrace the death of her friend so quickly, she had to be strong, and she had to believe.

Mitsusawa floated within a sea of darkness, a world of silence that numbed all her senses. She felt her consciousness slip away bit by bit, yet despite the thick shroud of darkness and the potent entity that engulfed her, a fragment of her being remained intact. The nefarious being could feel her vainly holding onto life, unable to accept her lot in life. From birth she had been bred and fatten for this purpose, a vessel through which he could enter the physical plane of existence. Her arrogance was offensive, still he couldn't help but admire her will.

No doubt the subtle pulsing of Mitsusawa's signature life force evaded Manish's grasp, but it would not elude Clare so easily. Turning to face him the young viper blurted out in defiance toward his original intent.
"No! I will buy you your time, you can work at peace but do not activate your spell till I deem it necessary. I have to believe in Mitsusawa, no…We have to have faith in her. She is far too strong and stubborn to die so easily!" Whether or not he would honor any agreement or even entertain her words Clare had no way of knowing.

But what she was certain of, beyond a reasonable doubt, was that Mitsusswa was very much alive, and that she could awaken her and release her from the entities spell. Suddenly a surge of energy hurled itself across the building, throwing chairs and trash every which direction. Cracks danced every direction across the cocoon as a dark mist spewed forth from the gaps forming along its exterior.

Within seconds a being jumped out from the cocoon, landing a few feet from its prison as slime dripped down it's harden form. What stood before them was an abomination, a woman clad in ivory like bone, red eyes piercing the dark mist that partially obscured its grotesque form.
"Mitsusawa! It is me Clare!" Vainly she blurted, as without hesitation or remorse the monster stretched out its hand. The blade of Mitsusawa was pulled from the ground to the creature's grip, a mechanical shrill echoing throughout the room.

With uncanny speed and rage the being stampeded toward Clare, sending a volley of elegant slashes her way. Out of instinct and luck Clare raised her blade and metal sheathe, deflecting the blurry swipes as sparks from the friction of their blades blew in every direction, the hoarse whisper of ringing metal relentlessly held back the silence. With graceful footwork Clare was able to regain her stance and parry each attack with equal force.
"Mitsusawa you cannot let this one defeat you so easily! Where is the strong woman I have admired for so long!" She bellowed, the nefarious being letting out an otherworldly watery growl. "Fool! Your mistress was too weak to defy me, she is now my vessel!"

Suddenly their blades locked, each party refusing to give any ground as their eyes locked.
"You are the fool! You are nothing but the steed that carries Mitsusawa! And though you may throw her off, in the end she will mount you once more and reassume control!" Her words wounded his eg, likening him to some stupid beast of burden.