Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Genres
Horror, fantasy, sci-fi.
Hello, Iwaku.

A number of digital acquaintances have recently migrated this way, and I thought I'd poke my head in, take a look around. Can't get a real feel for board culture without posting a bit, so here I am, to see if this a community in which I can make myself comfortable.
My usual username wasn't available, but I'm sure someone will recognize me eventually.

I write, most of the time - fiction, poetry, games, analyses, and the odd review. As such, I tend to treat roleplaying very differently. I was raised on traditonal roleplaying, afterall, so I approach it as a narrative-heavy game as opposed to collaborative novel writing and habitually employ systems (with or without dice).
I've been writing since I had tools to do it, and roleplaying since around '04.

I notice system-supported play isn't a popular format around here, but we'll see - perhaps I'll introduce a few people to things they didn't know they'd enjoy.

Reactions: Bone2pick
Hello, @Excession and welcome to the site ^.^ You may not know it yet but you just enlisted in the bunny army >:{D If you haven't already go ahead and give the rules a once over, and if something on the site stumps you, we also have a nifty Help section ^.^ This is where you'll find the FAQ, and within the FAQ a list of Roleplay Tags, a list of the site's bbcodes, a link to the staff roster, and other insightful things. But if you can't find an answer to your question, need clarification, or found a bug, the Help Desk might be more your cup of tea.

As a roleplayer, new or otherwise, you're always looking for ways to improve your craft and one of Iwaku's many goals is to help you with this :D Thus the Content page! Here you'll find forums dedicated to Roleplay Guides and places for users to commission and display their own works ^.^ But if you're more worried about actually roleplaying or need a place to start, we have the Roleplay Search page :) This is where you'll find Interest Checking and Creation where Game Masters posts interests check for their future roleplays and plot future roleplays. Roleplay Advertisement is where Game Masters advertise their running group, dice, or jump-in roleplays. But if you're a Game Master looking for players, there's always the Seeking Group Invites forum. This will allow you to browse users looking for group roleplays to join and snag them up for yourself! Last but not least is the Seeking One x One partners. If group roleplays are too main stream for you, set up shop here and look for someone of similar interests ^.^

If you're wondering who I am, I am but only one of Iwaku's many staff members :D As the banner says, I'm part of the Community Maintenance branch and my job is to make sure all roleplays have their correct tags and prefixes, archive dead threads, and fix whatever you break :3 Other branches of Staff include the Security team, the users who make sure you aren't up to anything questionable, and the Content team, the users who make sure you're never bored!

I hope to see you around the forums and may the muse be with you =^.^=

embed.php

Hello to you and welcome to Iwaku I hope you enjoy your stay here!

Hello @Excession and welcome to Iwaku! I hope you enjoy your stay however long it may be~ Feel free to ask me or any of the staff questions you may have, and check out the Newbie Care Packagge. It includes awesome artwork and recommendations that can help you on your journey in this site. If not, that's totally fine it's there for two months after you register on behalf of the staff.

Enjoy your time!

Hello, Iwaku.

A number of digital acquaintances have recently migrated this way, and I thought I'd poke my head in, take a look around. Can't get a real feel for board culture without posting a bit, so here I am, to see if this a community in which I can make myself comfortable.
My usual username wasn't available, but I'm sure someone will recognize me eventually.

I write, most of the time - fiction, poetry, games, analyses, and the odd review. As such, I tend to treat roleplaying very differently. I was raised on traditonal roleplaying, afterall, so I approach it as a narrative-heavy game as opposed to collaborative novel writing and habitually employ systems (with or without dice).
I've been writing since I had tools to do it, and roleplaying since around '04.

I notice system-supported play isn't a popular format around here, but we'll see - perhaps I'll introduce a few people to things they didn't know they'd enjoy.
Hi and welcome, Excession! I like your name.

I hope you like it here. Just about everyone I've met since joining has been kind and respectful, so I hope you'll stay!

What genres do you like to write best? What's your favorite system?

Thank you for the warm welcomes, folks.

What genres do you like to write best? What's your favorite system?
I mainly do horror, either in modern day or fantasy setting, with the occasional holiday in high-flying wire-fu action or high-concept experimental stuff. Although the pulp adventure webnovel I started (because pulp seemed accessible to a wider audience) has turned into wannabe-Malazan type stuff.

So you might guess one of my favourite systems is Chronicles of Darkness, but I tend to view systems as tools - the right one for the right story. So I designed my own system for dark fantasy horror which turned out to be good at one or two other things just because it's kind of simulationist, and I've been tinkering with a diceless system for a New Weird urban gothic setting. I like using FATE for comedy games and Eclipse Phase for sci-fi

How about you?

Hey Excesssion!
2cs8jns.png

Thanks for joining our lovely website, and hopefully you'll find it the perfect place to settle down!
Anyways, seeing as you're new to Iwaku, check out the "Newbie Care Package" thread - you can get a bunch of free graphics and a guide around Iwaku :)

P.S here are some threads to get you started on our lovely website. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! Take care!
Help Desk - HELP DESK
Interest Checking & Creation - INTEREST CHECKING & CREATION
Seeking One on One Partners - SEEKING ONE ON ONE PARTNERS
Terms & Rules - Terms of Service and Rules | IwakuRoleplay.com
BB Codes - BB Codes | IwakuRoleplay.com

♥♥​

It's always good to see trailblazers coming in to introduce people to alternative styles of roleplaying! 8D Welcome to the community!

Thank you. Oh, and on a related note - I've written a number of tutorials on the topics of GMing, world-building, plot structure, and use of certain tropes; would it be presumptuous to post them in the Content section? Naturally I'll check for existing topics I'd be stepping on before adding anything, once I have an idea which precise subsection any given guide should go into.

It would not be presumptuous at all! Feel free to add what you wish to the content section. Resources are something we can never have enough of!

Also, welcome to Iwaku, I hope you enjoy your stay here!

Welcome to Iwaku, Excession! ^o^

I mainly do horror, either in modern day or fantasy setting, with the occasional holiday in high-flying wire-fu action or high-concept experimental stuff. Although the pulp adventure webnovel I started (because pulp seemed accessible to a wider audience) has turned into wannabe-Malazan type stuff.

So you might guess one of my favourite systems is Chronicles of Darkness, but I tend to view systems as tools - the right one for the right story. So I designed my own system for dark fantasy horror which turned out to be good at one or two other things just because it's kind of simulationist, and I've been tinkering with a diceless system for a New Weird urban gothic setting. I like using FATE for comedy games and Eclipse Phase for sci-fi

How about you?
Horror can be pretty fun, but it's not really my bread and butter. I tend to like fantasy, myself, though my favorite is multiverse, high-danger stuff that's not necessarily action.

I don't think I've heard of that system, unfortunately, or... most of those. The systems I've used have been D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, GURPS, and the Serenity RPG. :x I'm pretty casual on the systems front, but it's interesting to hear about them, even if I don't always retain.

Never have cared much for multiverse stuff. I'm not sure why - lack of clear tonal or thematic focus, possibly? Or so it often seems. You might like The Strange, by Monte Cooke's new outfit. He was responsible for most of D&D 3.5, but The Strange is more modern in design. Don't like it personally, but I can imagine some people would.

I think I might take advantage of some of the newbie care package contents - I've got a couple of ideas that might work well, here.

@Excession
I tend to enjoy it, but only when my partner works with me to ensure we have something coherent with a good focus. If it's without focus, it's very unsatisfying, like a pizza with too much grease and no sauce and cheese.

I'll have to check that system out. Who knows, if I like it, I may end up trying it in an RP! That might be fun!

The newbie packages look really cool to me. I'm thinking of signing up to help with it, but right now my reliability is kind of shot, and I'd hate to ruin things for someone new to the site.

Iwaku just picked up a gem with the addition of this prolific content creator.

@Excession I'll be sure to keep an eye out for your tutorials and genre guides; I predict they'll go over well here. Now I just have to get use to your new username... :)

It's so delightful to see you, my dearest. (:

Hello! It's great to see you around again. c: Another formidable member for Iwaku :D

Iwaku just picked up a gem with the addition of this prolific content creator.

@Excession I'll be sure to keep an eye out for your tutorials and genre guides; I predict they'll go over well here. Now I just have to get use to your new username... :)

Ooooh, I didn't know you were on here as well. Good to see you! :D

You and me both, chief.
But there's already some vastly superior resources covering the same ground as me here, so we'll see about the former.

It's so delightful to see you, my dearest. (:
If that's who I think it is, it's a wonderful surprise to see you here.

You and me both, chief.
But there's already some vastly superior resources covering the same ground as me here, so we'll see about the former.

If that's who I think it is, it's a wonderful surprise to see you here.
I'm probably who you think I am. It's divine to see you, as well! I do hope you do some stuff here. I've been wanting to try some introductory dice again in the future and who better than you?

Reactions: Excession
Status
Not open for further replies.