Teach me Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see. That's exactly my point. I believe that people need to pay attention to the way they identify Otaku or Weaboo. Because it's not someone who enjoys Asian culture or anime, it's someone who obsesses over it and uses broken Japanese just to sound cool. For example. I have a Bleach video game, 2 Pokemon Plushies (Pikachu and Blaziken), a DBZ box set and an Attack on Titan scouting legion backpack, but that doesn't mean I'm obsessed. I was big into Pkmn as a kid, Pikachu and Blaziken were always my favorites, Bleach is my favorite anime and the video game for the PS3 is BadA$$, I watched DBZ as a kid and my cousin's husband got it for me for my 12th Bday, and I needed a new backpack last year so my sister bought me one that she knew I'd like, since I watched AOT every saturday night and read the manga.
Note: Please see attached chart
1549343_451688451600157_6946637601342705519_n.jpg

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: 1 person
I see. That's exactly my point. I believe that people need to pay attention to the way they identify Otaku or Weaboo. Because it's not someone who enjoys Asian culture or anime, it's someone who obsesses over it and uses broken Japanese just to sound cool.
Note: Please see attached chart
Also, Weeaboos reject their own Culture for Japanese Culture.

I prefer Rome over any other Society btw. And the Samurai were awesome!

Also, Weeaboos reject their own Culture for Japanese Culture.

I prefer Rome over any other Society btw. And the Samurai were awesome!
Exactly! I love my American Life. American "Culture" (If you can call it that nowadays) isn't something to brag about, but it's still my home and I couldn't see myself living anywhere else (Except maybe Canada, #Pacifist.)

Apparently weeaboos aren't as frequent in Norway, never heard the term before today. The odd case I've heard about is treated as a fan that doesn't know any better and just give everyone a bad image.

My guilt points:
- occasionally use words and phrases at my family, this is mostly to annoy them since they're racist proud nationalists
- can list over 50 anime at the least and know the basic plot of each of them

... Hmm, I guess that's it? I thought my list of guilt would be longer...

There is. You can be proud of your nationality without feeling the absolute need to stamp down people of a different nationality/race.

I'm happy to be born and raised in Norway, the history of my country is interesting even if it's plenty bloody. Still doesn't mean I think other countries are inferior to mine. Just different, either resource-wise, mentality etc.
Nationalism is pride in your home country.

Racism is believing that a certain skin color and appearance combinations are superior to other skin colors and appearances. More to do purely with 'race' (seriously, I'm starting to dislike that word) than which country you call home.

Issue lies in their intersection really.

MMhm, I totally agree with that.

Took me like, a minute of searching.

Also, try not to overdue foreign languages in RPs. A few words here and there's one thing, but entire sentences and constant use can be alienating to people. It becomes less, "Oh look how cultural this character is!" and more "I'm skimming over this gibbly gook because I don't understand it and it's kind of patronizing that he keeps throwing it in my face."
Thanks. An hour of my life I'll never get back and I can introduce myself, ask what/whose things are, and tell someone whether a thing is or isn't a camera =3=

Different ways to refer to yourself, 'I'.

watashi - the safest most common 'I' usage
watakushi - more (LIKE SUPER) formal
boku - mainly used by boys / young men
ore - strong sense of masculinity but it's better off using it with friends because it sounds rude otherwise
washi - used by old men

"Watashi wa Yoshida Masamune desu" Proper sentence? I'm making a ninja/samurai character for an RP, that's where the name came from. But wouldn't I use Masamune first, unless he's speaking to a friend, in which case, he wouldn't need to introduce himself?

Surname in front followed by given name. I know in certain situations they just say the surname. x - x

But, since he's a samurai, wouldn't it be better to say "Ore wa" Instead of "Watashi wa"?

Err, well, doesn't it depend on who he's speaking to? To his master or anyone higher rank he would introduce himself with a more submissive pronoun. Ore can be used with people who are lower rank, and to friends it can be a sign of familiarity. c:

Err, well, doesn't it depend on who he's speaking to? To his master or anyone higher rank he would introduce himself with a more submissive pronoun. Ore can be used with people who are lower rank, and to friends it can be a sign of familiarity. c:
Well he is/was a high ranking soldier of his clan, so it would fit

Yes, it would. As long as it isn't to his master. c:

Yes, it would. As long as it isn't to his master. c:
Yup, since there is only one person with a higher rank than him, I guess he'd say "Ore wa" most of the time.

Yup, since there is only one person with a higher rank than him, I guess he'd say "Ore wa" most of the time.
I suppose, but he doesn't have to stick to one pronoun all the time :3

*Reads over this thread*
*Remembers how bad I am at learning a second language*
*Wanders off feeling all sad and shit*

No, I mean really bad.

As in, have an IEP that takes me to another room to do the test.
And then have the teacher fill in the entire answers for said test except for a single world.
Then give me an EA to help me during said test.
Then give me a group of other students with the same IEP to also work together with on said test.
And then collectively, as a group we cannot figure out the single words even.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.