Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
"Come on, Daddy!" The little boy jumped eagerly.

"Hold on, Baylor," the boy's father returned as he shuffled through the cabinets of their little house.

"Come on!" Baylor said a little louder.

"Shh!" His father said sternly, "You want to go fishing this morning, don't you?"

Baylor nodded excitedly.

"Then you have to be quiet. If you wake up your mother, she won't let us go. Instead, we'll be stuck here cleaning and organizing," his father warned.

Baylor gasped and then pressed his index finger against his lips, "Shh!"

"Good boy," his father's hand ruffled his brown hair bringing a smile back to his lips.

Baylor watched his father gather some bread and a few pieces of deer jerky and lay them on a cloth he then tied tightly. "Here," he told Baylor as he dropped the back in the boy's open arms, "let's go," he jerked his head toward the door as he draped the nets over his shoulder.

Baylor was already heading out the door, but his father took one last look at his sleeping wife and smiled contently.

"Are we there yet?" Baylor asked as he walked closely beside his father. The roads weren't nearly as business as they always were when his mother took him to the market. The sun was even only peeking over its blanket now. Mother never took him out that early.

A chuckle sounded from his father, "We haven't even made it out of the city gates. Once we leave Norcrest, it's only a short walk to the river where we'll cast our nets. Look, there's the-"

Baylor took only two steps before he realized his father had stopped moving. He looked up to see the man staring off toward the gate. Baylor followed his gaze until he saw men hugging the guards from behind before the guards collapsed to the ground.

"Are the guards getting night night hugs, Father?" Baylor asked.

"Shh, Shh," His father said quietly before he grabbed Baylor by the arm so tightly that Baylor would have vocally objected if it weren't for the look in his father's eyes. He was dragged into an alley and pressed against the side of a house as his father peeked around the corner. Baylor tried to peek, too, but his Father's arm kept him pinned against the wall.

He watched his father for what seemed like forever, before his impatience overrode his fear, "What-"

"Shh!" His father repeated before Baylor found himself scooped up in his father's arms. It happened so fast that he dropped the lunch sack. He reached for them, but his father shook his head, "Leave it!"

"Why, Father?" He asked.

It seemed as though the city itself answered his question. A faint, orange glow grew until it consumed the morning sky. Smoke billowed above the roofs. People were screaming, and despite being in his father's arms, Baylor felt fear he'd never felt before.

"Don't look!" His father ordered as he squeezed him protectively against his chest.

He wished such a gesture would have blinded him, but he could see sleeping people painted in red with sticks pointing out of them out of the corner of his eyes. He felt his father's heart pounding against his chest and his feet moving in time with the rhythm.

"Mother," Baylor started to cry for the only other person who ever made him feel safe, "I want mother!"

"I know," his father answered, "I want her, too."

A pointy stick slammed into the wall and cut stuck next to them, "Father!" He cried.

This time his father didn't answer. Instead, he kept running. They ran between screaming people and clashing steel. They ducked in alleys and behind burning buildings. He felt the whoosh of arrows and the scorching heat of the fire until they finally burst through a door.

They were home.

"Amelia!" His father yelled.

"Mother!" He cried.

"My sweet boy!"

Baylor saw his mother crawl out from under her bed. His arms immediately shot out toward her, and his father passed him into her open arms. Baylor buried his face against her chest and cried.

"What's happening out there Stephenos?" Her voice was muffled by her chest.

"The city's under attack!" His father answered.

""The Agrennians?" She asked.

"No. This is something else...someone else," Stephenos grabbed his sword and started for the door, "Take Baylor to the keep. The guardsmen will keep you two safe."

She nodded, "Be careful."

"Father!" Baylor cried as he pulled back and reached out with one arm.

"Baylor," his father ruffled his hair again, "protect your mother." He nodded with a smile and headed out the door.

Melia Ethelweard

Interactions/mentions: Nikilina Swifteye @Esper | Bronya Dzik @Sarnai

The journey towards Norcrest had been a long one, but thankfully it hadn't been as long as it could have been, which was mostly due to having had good and experienced company along the way. Melia had refused to take anyone along from the royal guards, as any person she'd take along from there was one less person guarding the Empress, which she wouldn't settle for. She was already hating the fact that she wasn't able to guard the Empress herself, having to travel this far away from her instead. It's why she opted to find decent enough looking guides, as that would also allow her to take the direct route through the forest, rather than taking the longer way around over the paved roads and through more civilised territories.

Well, truth be told, she sort-off regretted that decision in hindsight. Her guides were great, that wasn't the issue. The issue was the 'foresty' part. For as combat-experienced and hardened as she was, she was by no means a survival type of person, so spending the night in a forest hadn't been the greatest experience. She most definitely preferred a nice inn to spent the night, that much was sure. Luckily enough, the city gates indicated that her rough days of travel would soon be over. She longed for warm tub of water to soak in...

She knew that it was only a mater of time for the next trouble to follow. She didn't like Cythein's reliance on Drakos, as she was worried about the price they'd have to pay for it. To make matters worse, she wasn't sure why she'd been the one sent here, rather than some noble diplomat smooth-talker. Was it because she was well-versed enough in court etiquette and was trusted by the Empress? Or had there been outside pressure by those that were hoping to see her fail and thereby bring shame to herself and the Empress alike? Some of those plotting bastards were sure to think of this as an opportunity, so Melia knew she'd have to be on guard with everything she said. The thought alone was tiring.

Those tiring thoughts were interrupted the moment they got closer to the gates. It didn't take much to figure things were very wrong. Her immediate instincts were to go in to try to protect the citizens, but she had to turn those instincts off. She knew too little about the situation to be of much help. She wasn't even sure who or what was attacking them. All she knew was something was really wrong here.

She murmured to herself. "The city wouldn't have been caught off-guard by an army, but a group small enough to slip by unnoticed couldn't have caused what seems to be a city-wide panic..." She quickly made up her mind, turning towards her guides. "I know it's not in your contract, so I won't blame you for turning your back on this situation and getting away from here. Even so, I'd like to make it to the keep to see if anyone there knows what's going on here. With the situation being as it is, I'm afraid I might end up needing some help getting there in one piece, so I'd appreciate any help you're willing to offer." There was clear concern in her voice.

-e1kytzA5T_BuQsWzN8fWoOYdCdE0BKWPzu8bG0STZ7nBCEP3gT2lXoHxXPb8px6sRDh2CoaiwgRE1d01fqWo2hNsTyBvw2Hcm4SMkDs8gZzXcuyL8AuuMPDzmnIFyOnRGyUtwvC

The inn was filled with music, the drumming of dancing feet, laughter and conversation. The candles cast dancing shadows on the walls as barmaids effortlessly navigated the crowd with mugs of ale and platters of turkey legs, chunks of pork, and whatever mystery meat the kitchen seemed to have on hand to help serve the abundant guests. Patrons stood shoulder to shoulder but no one seemed to be bothered by it.

Off in the corner sat Deklan, a messy brown haired man with a lean frame. His light green eyes darted across lines in a book as his fingers delicately turned the pages. The room fell silent despite the consistent noise. There was only Deklan and his book. He didn't even notice the steady drumming of the fingers of the man sitting across from him.

The shadow of the man leaning forward blanketed the words on the page and he finally looked up. It took Deklan a second to realize the man was waiting for a response to a question he'd asked. "I'm sorry. What?" Deklan offered an apologetic look.

"I said," the man leaned back in frustration, "Is it the book you were looking for?" His beard hairs danced as he exhaled a deep breath.

"O-Oh, yes! This book is filled with lore surroundin' de Cythein civil war of de Third rule of de Gallostian Dynasty. It was durin' this era that Emperor Fandril Gallost first identified, located, and allocated fer himself and future Cythein rulers de-" The man blinked as though his head was empty of a brain and unable to register anything beyond common guttural speech, "Nevermind," he cleared his throat nervously and lowered his voice, "Yes. It's de right book."

Deklan ruffled through his back and pulled out a coin pouch. They jingled together as he tossed it on the table, "Our agreed upon price."

Deklan didn't even watch the man take the money and leave. Instead, he closed the old time and ran his hand over the cover reverently, "I can't wait ta see what secrets you have hidden within."

As soon as he made it back to his room, he dove into the words like a hungry beast. He fed on the secrets that poured from its pages and lived the stories recalled through his imagination. He would have done it all night had he not lost consciousness between the turning of pages. The one he meant to turn still stood pinched between his fingers. He would have stayed that way far into the morning, too, had it not been for the horrendous sound that tore through his dreamworld and kidnapped him back into reality.

"Ahhh!" He screamed as he shot up scared by whatever noise had ripped through the air. His head swiveled yet it caught no sign of anyone. He must have dreamed it.

Wiping the drool from his face, Deklan realized that whatever that sound was had not just awoken him, but spared the ink in the ancient time from running because of the drool that had almost run down his arm and onto the page.

"That would have been horrible," he warned himself, "I won't be doin' that again."

Another blood-curdling scream, similar to the first, made him realize the first wasn't in his dreams. He quickly snatched up the book and slid it in his satchel. After hanging it over his shoulder and across his chest, he patted the dagger at his waist and grabbed his walking stick that leaned against the doorway.

The sounds of fighting rose from below and invaded the hallway. Deklan looked both ways and saw a window on one end and the stairs on the other. "Nuh-uh..no way," he told the window and quickly made his way toward the stairs where the noise grew louder. When he finally cleared the stairs, the inn was alive with battle. Men and women in armor slashed and struck out at figures in black hoods.

The window suddenly looked more appealing, and if it weren't for the whole heights thing, he probably would have jumped from it. Instead, he swallowed hard and clutched his satchel close to his chest with one hand while he held his walking stick in the other.

He navigated through the fight by crawling on all fours under tables, squeezing behind people locked in combat, and even had to push a person in a black cloak with his stick. He pushed the poor fellow right on to the sword of one of Norcrest's city guards. The guard nodded as though Deklan meant to do it on purpose before moving on to lock his sword with another cloaked figure. Deklan just swallowed back the desire to say he didn't do it on purpose and made his way out the back door.

The scene that greeted him made him want to run back inside.

The lower end of the city was on fire. People were running and screaming while more fighting was going on all around them.

"What's goin' on 'ere?" He asked rhetorically. Making it out of the inn was difficult enough. How was he supposed to make it out of the city?

A cloaked figure caught his eye. She stopped in her tracks and looked right at him. She must have seen the fear in his eyes because she smirked and started running toward him.

"H-Help," it came out quietly at first as he watched the woman slide over a crate without losing speed. Deklan began backpedaling and this time, gave a little more umph to his cry for help, "Help!" He yelled, his voice just being one more added to the sea of cries in the morning light.

A single bell rang clear, the tent flap opening briefly with the soft whisper of silk. Seated in a bedraggled periwinkle armchair, hands clutching a cup of tea, a woman glanced up, weariness written in the rings of dark navy around pale blue irises.

"We're closed, just now, darling. So sor--" The gentle notes of Eldrassir trailed off as her gaze found the intruder's and with a clatter, the cup toppled to the ground, delicate porcelain shattering.

"Did you really think it would work, Cordelia?" The man spoke with an authority befitting his massive stature and intimidating expression. He towered over the woman, his dark hair a curtain around his sun-weathered face, features deeply etched and cool. A scar ran the length of his right cheek, from the corner of his eye to where his lips met in a subtle, shifty smirk. His hands, clad in black leather were at work, one on the hilt of an impressive open-sheathed falchion, the other fiddling with a pair of heavy iron manacles.

"...Grimmark…" Cordelia answered, and while the surprise of his arrival had hardly gone unguarded, she maintained an impressively cloistered, steely glint now, "Dear, I didn't expect to see you here in Drakos. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"You know why I'm here. Renius sends his regards. Did you imagine we wouldn't come for you? You still belong to the guild, Cord. You will always belong to the guild. Now, whether that's as an esteemed member or a prisoner is entirely up to you, and I've got to be honest, I couldn't much care which you choose."

"Renius should know me better than to think I'd abandon him. And you should know better than to make such petty threats." Stepping close, nearly into the man's space now, Cordelia's lips curved in a fine, easy smile, "I needed space. Ambrose was getting antsy about us being in his territory and I thought it would be wise to make myself small for a while. Ambrose doesn't haunt this far South." With another step, gingerly, she traced her fingertips along the stem of his forearm, her hand laying atop that which rested over the hilt of his blade, "Darling, you know where my loyalty lies."

A brow lifting, Grimmark swatted off her touch and stepped back, "Can't con me, Cordelia."

But the moment his hand left the blade, Cordelia had moved, her own instead wrapping around the hilt, yanking it free. With the tip at his throat, Grimmark's gaze flashed briefly and swallowing, the man's hands raised, "Don't be stupid."

"I rarely am." Eyes narrowing, she gingerly danced alongside the man, and as she turned, so to did he, until her back was to the entrance of the tent, the blade just narrowly touching his clavicle, "Go home, Grimmark, and tell Renius if he sends another one of his goons looking for me, I won't be so kind."

As she slipped through the tent folds, her arm jutted briefly forward and twisting her wrist, she let the blade skim the very edge of the man's jaw .With a growl he clapped a hand to the wound as the weapon clattered to his feet, Cordelia disappearing into the streets with the jingle of a bell.

A shock of violence met her on the outside, as from out of nowhere, the city erupted in sudden chaos. Flames climbed high into the sky, thatched roofs caught easily, bathing Norcrest in an eerie orange hue. Screams and desperate pleas shattered the evening ambiance and clashing blades rose in chorus to the panic. It was only remembering the furious man left behind in her tent that drove her forward, but on much less steady legs than with which she would have hoped to flee.

Rounding the corner, her feet slipped along uneven cobble, and looking down, Cordelia blanched at the sight of two fallen figures, sprawled at their stoop, scarlet poured out like pales from the well. A cloying sensation crawled at her throat and spinning away, she took in a deep, shaky breath. From the corner of her eye, she could see the figure vaulting over a crate, cloaked and moving with a purpose all too familiar to her. There was a man at the top of the stairs, his feeble attempts at running no match for the assassin. At each hip, Cordelia kept stiletto blades and freeing these now, she held them poised at side. Counting the steps the woman took, she took another breath, held it and raising her arm, flung the first stiletto blade, catching the mark in the soft space between her shoulder and neck. With the momentum she'd picked up, the woman swung awkwardly to the side, narrowly avoided tripping over the bottom steps and twisted in counterbalance, pained visage turning rapidly enraged as she caught sight of her assailant.Slowly, fingers curling around the hilt, she pulled the knife free and dropping it with a rattle to the stone, raised her weapon.

Without waiting, Cordelia dashed forward, the second blade streaking from her grasp. Not looking where it landed, if it even landed, she took the stairs two at a time, grabbed for the man's wrist and continued, dragging him behind her at a dash down the other side, "Run!"

Last edited:
Reactions: Remun and Vec
Holt Face.jpg

Holt had been on the docks when the fires burst from Norcrest, keeping watch over the privateering ship, The Dragonsbane, with a few others, while the rest enjoyed the first half of their planned shore leave. The crew had changed so many times by now, that it no longer resembled the original old crew, but they still found common cause in taking the wealth of Agrennia and using it to line their own pockets. Now Holt surmised that the Agrennians were here, seeking to pillage the city of Norcrest, just as they had their own city states.

The crewmates on shore leave hadn't yet returned, but the crew that stuck to guard the ship had been roused to action by the screams. Holt took the nearest barrel he could find and started to fill it with water from the ocean with a bucket. He had to try to make what happened this time different somehow from the scene buried in his memory of his lifetime before. While the merchant's quarter of the city was between the docks and the fire, groups of people were already herded towards the docks. Most of them appeared to be of the merchant class, heading towards the boats that were docked, presumably searching for a quick escape by gaining passage on one of them.

He knew it would be harder to convince any of wealthy merchants to not be a bunch of lily-livers and resist, but with the lower class, who had nothing but their homes and lives here, could perhaps be swayed. The ramp from The Dragonsbane had been lowered by the crew inside, seeing the sense of keeping an area that funded their livelihood standing, at the very least the merchant quarter. If not, the silver lining was being able to capitalize on the merchants who in their desperation would pay a high price for passage. Holt walked up to the nearest peasant that walked close by and shoved a bucket in his chest, forcibly pointing to some more empty buckets on the dock to fill. He wasn't asking. The man conceded under Holt's imposing presence, waving some others over to help in the task.

With one barrel filled, he rolled it down towards the edge of the border between the docks and the merchant's guild. Once there he saw two people running down the cobblestone. One was a woman of unusual beauty with dark brown hair wearing a purple cloak, and the other being a disheveled man being pulled by the arm, while his other hand was gripped on a fancy looking book.

Holt attempted to interpose himself, but the woman weaved past him with the fluidity of a dancer. He wasn't going to demand labor from a beautiful woman nor from a man so exhausted he stumbled with each step. He ran to catch up and pointed to his ship in front of the woman's eyes. "The Dragonsbane be accepting stowaways, if ye have coin."

He said nothing about his plan with the barrels. He just hoped others would catch on and move those across the city to put out the fires. Coin was the better way to motivate people, if it came to that, but he had to think about himself too.

Collaboration post with: @Esper (Nikilina)
Interaction wtih: @Elvario (Melia)

=================================================

The trip to Norcrest had been a ways out of Bronya and Nikilina's normal way, but the pay offered by the ambassador from Cythein had been way too good to pass up, particularly since the job on the face of it was dead easy. The route was over relatively mild terrain, there was plentiful game and foraging along the way, and the weather manageable, but the trip had started falling apart from the start. Game had been scarce, forcing them to go deeper into their rations then Bronya would of preferred, the weather had miserable, river crossings had been washed out by early melts, a landslide had forced a day long backtrack, and as they had gotten closer to the city the reason for the lack of game had made itself apparent: signs of increasingly large groups of people moving through the woods together.

Bronya made sure to sleep lighter from then on, keeping a constant watch up even at night, apologizing to the woman they were guiding but not lighting fires at night, not breathing easy until they finally broke through the woods onto the patrolled main road not far from Norcrest. As they got closer to the city however, the thick, black plumes of smoke billowing up from it to form an ominous cloud crushed Bronya's fragile sense of relief.

As they entered the city and the extent of the chaos became even more clear, Bronya sighed heavily. Go back to the forest that might be crawling with even more of these people, or go into the city where the attackers definitely were, but the guard might be able to help them? Looking over to the ambassador they were with as she spoke up, she shrugged, picking up a buckler from a nearby fallen guard. "When you are stuck between a fire and a river, better to have more people with you than fewer." She said unbuckling her longsword sheathe from where it had been secured to her back and rebuckling it to her hip. "If you agree?" She said looking at Nikilina. She wouldn't drag her partner into anything she didn't want to get into.

Nikilina nodded in agreement and drew her bow out. Her arrows hung at her hip in a dyed quiver of deep green, the colour of their local forest's flora. These were not her hunting arrows, no. These arrowheads were soaked in poisons and ready to give a fever dream to anyone unfortunate enough to have their hooked barbs buried in them. Trying to rip the arrows out that this huntress had hand carved promised a bad day between the poison and hard to stitch up wounds. "The guards have the authority to lay them to rest, we do not. Especially here."

Her thoughts raced as she saw a single attacker. She nocked an arrow and loosed it into an attacker threatening a family. The threat was unarmored, expecting light resistance she figured. She took a breath and with the feathers tickling her cheek the arrow flew forward, twisting from the force as she nailed them in the chest. The attacker was pinned into a building, alive for a few more moments until they were not. "We best move", she said over the chaos to the two others in nearest her before drawing another arrow out. This one was not poisoned, but she was confident it would give someone a bad time either way.

This is not according to plan, not at all. This should have been easier than it seems to become right now but when has his work ever been easy or predictable in the past?
It had started out quite simple. He had been informed that a royal guard that usually protects the Empress of Cythein would be coming to this town. That person will hold some interesting secrets as well as valuable information that they could use, even need. So Valence was sent out to this town to get familiar with it as he posed as a recently unemployed Hunter who was sent to Norcrest with the hope to work there, earn his keep.

It worked out nicely since getting to know the area around the city proved quite useful, he even did some odd jobs on the side to see more aspects of this town. How do the guards work and who is diligent, perceptive and which ones are more...lax in their work. The local taverns and other businesses proved to be simple as much of it would be in this kind of city. The only place he only ever perceived from a distance is the harbor. He knows how important the location is, he keeps an eye on it but it never goes beyond the approach with his spyglass. His clothing had changed appropriately of course and he weaved his obvious Tumarian looks into his hunters narrative. It always helps to have something you are familiar with in those kinds of situations and this one could become quite a hassle.

While he is much more comfortable with his knives, he could shoot a bow well enough to hunt some game and pass as a young hunter with these people though even after all this time, he found tracking animals in these lands is much easier than it was back home for him.
He also worked on his speech since he usually enjoys a more...profound method of speech to appeal to his superiors and those who doubt him, he has no problem tapping into his more simple roots. A heavy accent as well as some hacked up sentences worked out perfectly for him. People did not give him a second look except for those who required his services.

With his time spent learning, hunting, observing and quite frankly reading so he could fill all the time he had in between some social events he attended, the two weeks he had already been there went by in a flash. His routine was starting to set in and after washing himself, eating something quick in the tavern he stayed in, he made off to another day.

And just as he was ready to head out for a short hunt as the estimated arrival drew ever closer, it happened. At first it was a single scream, nothing that should arouse concern in a city and yet...this was not because someone committed a most heinous faux pas, this was a scream of pain, of death. Then the screams started to pick up and the smoke rising from one of the gates made it very clear that this was an attack. He did not know who would be crazy, or stupid, enough to simply attack here. Gritting his teeth, the lanky looking "Hunter" drew his bow, feeling the shortsword on his side which seems the more logical choice to many. He did not want to get into a direct fight with these unknown assailants and so he kept to the alleyways, devoid of people this time of day to make his way towards the other gate and get out of here for now. Maybe try to see if he could find his target on the road and tell them about it.

And just as he wanted to make his escape, his luck seemed to turn! He had burned the description into his head, had gone over the possible looks of the target many times in his head all throughout his time here and yet...she just proudly presents who she is, what she does and seems intent on helping these people. While she has two others with her...those should prove more valuable rather than hindering his progress.

Taking his time, he ran towards the gate after a few moments of making himself look panicked, worried and a bit frightened. "You have to leave, we are attacked!" He shouts it at the Trio of women, though his eyes are of course on the beautiful lady with red eyes and that fantastic armor. "I uh…" He paused, confused at first before he "saw" Melia's crest. "By the spirit of the hawk, I am glad to see you all! The city is attacked, can you help me walk people to the keep? It should be the safest home right now." His voice is shaky and a bit hurried, he holds his bow and arrow ready to shoot if a threat arises. "We have to make quick, city is already burning!" He offers to guide them, to show them through the safest ways in the city to take the people to the keep so that they can be safe. For now, work with her and see what she intends to do after. He will absolutely join her! If she wants to or not.

@Elvario @Sarnai @Esper

Reactions: Vec

~Rodent~

rodent-Hat.jpg

charming-angel.jpg

<~~<>~~>​

"You serious, love...? You allowed them to call you that...?!"

The dabbing motion ceased, and the tip of the makeup brush was pointed squarely at her Sister's little nose.

The owner of the little nose slowly opened one big green eye. Then the other. Then of course the shiny grin parted her small lips. "What...? But they were so sweet! And welllll... Well why not, Char? 'Tis cute, no? Like a... like a bunny! Their cute little noses wriggle like so-- and they too are rodents--"

"--aye, and so're rats, Rai," with each syllable Char, the older green-eyed Sister, booped the younger Rai's nose sending small clouds of powder into the lantern lit storage room. The younger one sneezed twice then afterwards she wriggled her nose. Noting the bunny-like reaction, both began to giggle loudly.

"Well, I reckon the Rodent moniker stands then," Char said shaking her head yet still a smile held at the corners of her mouth. She adjusted her salt and pepper coloured wig then reached over and readjusted the hairband holding her Sister's bangs and chin length hair out her face, "but you, love, you will always be our little Radiant Angel...."

"Angel..." Rai smiled and nodded, saying the word as if savouring it. Then slowly but surely her big green eyes lost their luster and the smile faded. A moment she took to gather words and courage. A deep breath then:

"Char... be true. I plead ye, be true to me. Ree said that Splen sent me with ye to recon locale and spot the mark not because of me acting skills but because..." big green eyes lowered and she stared at the legs of the stool upon which she sat. With a single knuckle she rapped on the wooden seat for luck then slowly turned to look up at her Sister, "...because this be me last chance to prove that I am still worthy of being part of the Angel Sisters. I'm out if I can't cut it, said Ree and then she began to let tears spill... Ree don't cry for no reason--"

"Rai... Rai, love," Char held her little Sister's chin up with her index finger, "listen here and now... you will do just fine. You will be 'my son' Hadley of the House Dae'Liska. Stay in character. Keep your mind free of the distractions. You're working with me because, if you'll notice; your penchant for constantly vomiting more words than necessary is stilled whist I'm here. Now and here, spouting clear; Splen wants you to succeed. And hey, if things go sideways, I'll get you out. Just play to your strengths. You're the eyes in the sky; you're the acrobat. You are not the fighter. I am. I'm here to catch and protect you.

"And besides, we are here to just to stakeout: entries, exits, threats, lines of sight, numbers, allies... the usual. We've done this so many times before, love. This is our old stomping grounds. You will do fine. Rai--"

Char held out a pinkie, eyes beckoning a response, "Sisters bound until we die..."

Rai focused on her Sister's pinkie. She sighed then upon her face a wistful smile formed,"...Heroes pose, Angels fly."

The diminutive girl reached out with her own pinkie and the digits hooked completing the vow. Both females pressed their foreheads together and paused a moment, relishing each other's company, like all those times just before their grand entrances into the spotlight. Once, when they were entertainers; just girls in another time, another life.

"...meh. But if y'want, we can officially change your name on the marquee to Sister Rodent..."

"Ohhhhh, but do tell how such fortune smiles upon me, Sister--"

"Oi! Rai! But speakin' of 'fortune telling...' she be here. The one with those blue eyes that spooks ye so much. Well, so says Ricardos... and y'know that lad spouts clear waters."

"Spooky-Blues... in Norcrest? Be that the... the 'Orange-all?'" Rai bounced up off her stool and began to strut around. And even in her skivvies, she still managed to floor the audience of dusty crates and stained barrels with her imposing yet cool-handed presence. All should note that her breath was at a premium now since she gave off quite the air of importance. She was graceful and measured in her step, eyes half-lidded and calculating all that she saw.

"Hahahah...! That's really good, Rai! You nail her walk but not her name. 'Tis not: 'Orange-all...' But close enough, love. She is the 'Oracle,' she is. Splen says that should we find another that can cut it for their cut then cut them in. We Angels could use a pro grifter... she could get us closer to the mark than this little costuming job we doing now, me thinks...? If it really came down to it--"

"Well that'd be brilliant, no? And I'm definitely saving half me earnings for the people of Serenity--" Rai was about to spout once again how nice they were and how it was justified to give such coin away just like that, but the words cut off in her mouth as soon as she saw Char's head perk up, sniff twice then tilt to the side. Slowly the older Sister's eyes slid towards the storage door.

"Rai. Gather your things. Swift and secure. We need to leave. Now."

"Char, but we nary even close to being done here--"

"Sister Radiant, I said: we are leaving...! Now fly, Angel!"

Rai backpedaled two steps, big shiny green eyes staring upwards and into her Sister's glinting green ones. It had been so long (6 months was it?) since she heard the commanding voices from the elder Sisters. But not long enough that it still did not have the proper effect on her. Whenever the older ones took charge and spoke like that it meant they had crossed the point of no return; It was show time. "Aye, Sister Charming. Let's fly. Exits and rendezvous?"

"Only one way out, Sister." Char pulled off her wig and tossed it over at Rai as the little thing did her quick-switch outfit change, "we need to go rooftop. Cord our way down. Should we get split up, meet dockside. No posing, I mean it. Find Oleander, she'll have a boat for us. That is, if there even is--"

WHAM!! WHAM!!

Rai jumped. Char drew her dirk. "Main entrance breach. Sister Radiant. On me. Once we get to the base of steps you go point. Double-time up there. Switch, then set up cords. Ready? It's show time. "

"Aye on all points. Let's fly, Sister."

<~~>​

And fly she did.

Looking back on it, it would be a lie should she not admit that she was impressed when she leapt from the rooftop, onto another burning rooftop, swan dived down, bounced off an overhanging awning, and finally into the hay bale below. It was just another routine nailed by another High-Flying, Death-Defying Angel afterall. But as soon as she stood up, that ended right quick, did it not? Aye, for she was the supremely confident, smiling Sister Radiant, no longer. She was running scared now, scurrying along as fast as her little feet would take her, just like a panicked little Rodent.

Bundled up in between a pile of rubbish and a discarded crate, she cradled her knees and rocked back and forth, dark eyebrows knitting her eyes shut tight. No, the diminutive girl was not hurt, but still tears streamed from her eyes, hiccupping sobs barely kept at bay. She had left her Sister behind. Just like a dirty rat abandoning a sinking ship, she fled to save herself and only herself.

"...N-no posing..." she managed to spit out between ragged breaths, "I... I am... I am an Ang--"

Damned be the Lights of Athos, no, she could not complete the word; she was not worthy. Instead, a piercing shriek she let out and once again she was up and running through and over the broken corpses. Quick darting glances could not help but note that some burned worse than others, yet all had faces frozen with the memory of their final moments. Memories that she could not help but see manifest through her tear-stained blurred vision. Dirty hands wiped away madly at her nose and eyes as she rounded the corner.

Another scream from her little lips, this time not of anguish and guilt, but of terror and desperation. The blade swung at her was wicked and filled with intent to taste her blood. But her instincts were in overdrive and her reflexes were wicked fast and she was filled with the intent to taste freedom. Down low she went, tucked and rolled between the assailants legs, leaving her pack and disguise kit behind. She rose and leapt upward, tucking her knees in as a second sword wielder slashed at her mid-section; that blade only sliced air. She kicked out her legs and bounced off the second assailants shoulders and its inertia sent it stumbling into the first one.

She did not stab the landing and ended up half-running, half-hopping towards the pair as she attempted valiantly to regain her balance. Another slash at her and just in the nick of time, she managed to gather and flip over the slash with a side aerial. She faked sliding between the first assailant's legs and leapfrogged him, strong little arms giving a shove, sending him stumbling and crashing into the second assailant. She squeaked in pleasant surprise as she ended up at the spot where she left her pack and kit.

Without a single glance behind her, she sprinted away, rounding another corner, screaming at the top of her lungs in both relief and angst at the same time. How in all hells was she going to get out of this bloody nightmare?! And by witness of Athos, but the smells! It reeked of ash and death for blocks. Her small hand reached up and slapped her cheek twice to aid in keeping her focus and not succumbing to another panic attack.

Up ahead she saw an arrow shoot away and just save a family from an assailant. The folk stumbled along as they ran toward her, then passed her by, all screaming, unaware that they had just been saved by a very, very accurate archer--

"Char!! Sister Charming!!" she screeched and with a strange near-hysterical relieved laugh she ran up the alleyway and right up to the auburn headed archer and her mates: a sword-wielding blonde woman, a red-eyed fancy-armoured warrior lady and a lanky male archer. Clearly it was not Char. Big green eyes became even bigger once she saw just how mistaken she was; she looking down the wrong end of an arrow. Without making eye contact, she slowly lowered her kit to the ground then raised both hands, palms up.

"No...! Wait...! Pleadin' don't shoot me! Don't shoot, I mean no malice nor murder... Just need to find Oleander at the dockside, I do... I-- I promised... I vowed it to her before I left... no p-posing... I-I left her to die. Alone--"

And with that admission finally spoken aloud, her will gave out and so too did her knees. Only sobs and tears, self-pity and self-loathing were left of the crumpled girl.

<~~<>~~>​

Last edited:
Reactions: Remun and Vec
Lee, the Warpriest

Coming to is always the hardest thing after a good night's drinking session, something that especially rings true for one unfortunate knight in... not so shining armor. There in a narrow, muddy alleyway between two buildings laid Lee, having been rendered unconscious by too much ale. As the disheveled knight slowly roused from his dreamless sleep, the muffled sounds of shoes clacking on stone, hushed voices whispering about, and the distant - but all so familiar - sound of clashing metal entered his ears.

"Shit! He's waking up," one voice said as Lee brought a hand to his face with a groan. the side of his jaw felt especially tender for some reason, and a slight bout of sickness threatened to overwhelm him.

"N-no, you do it! Why does it have to be me?" A second voice was heard, the trepidation in its tone evident. "Wha-what's going on..."

After a brief struggle with the slippery mud underneath, the knight managed to sit up and take in his surroundings. His hands went over himself first and, thankfully, he was still in his armored garbs. It had been once or twice that he'd awoken with armor pieces missing after a rowdy night of drinking, and boy were those things expensive to replace. Then a slight shuffle to his right alerted him of the two guests that had invited themselves into his little alleyway.

"Uh, hello there," one of the two said, in a slightly awkward manner. The man, nay, kid - as he looked no older than 15 - was lanky but relatively tall, his clothes dirty, his hair oily from sweat and grime, and in his arms there was a large, two handed sword, barely holding it a few feet from the ground.

"Wait, wha-youlittlethiefgetbackhererightnoworelse!" The knight spat out with lightning speed as he clambered up to his feet. Equally as fast, however, were the two thieves as they ran away from the giant tin-can of a man, one towards the west and the other towards the east side of the alley. Lee swiftly turned around to pinpoint the lanky kid's accomplice, and his eyes came upon another equally skinny kid loaded with Lee's larger-than-normal backpack, trying to run away and comically failing.

The poor kid was struggling to take a step when the man caught up with him, grabbed him by the armpits, lifting him off the ground and tossing him up the side of the building. With a thud the kid hit the wall and slid down, disoriented from the slam. The other one, seeing his friend getting caught decided to count his blessings, threw away the heavy sword weighing him down and jetted off to gods know where.

Lee huffed and puffed, the sudden burst of movement bringing about a bout of exhaustion that he was wholly uncomfortable with. Silence reigned for a few seconds as the knight watched the runaway slum rat dart off in the distance, but soon turned to face the accomplice. The boy had obviously seen better days; Lee instantly noticed the black bags under the boy's eyes indicating a lack of sleep, coupled with a bony sternum under his shirt that spoke volumes about his diet - or lack thereof.

The knight looked at the alleyway for a moment, rubbed his temples, and with a sigh knelt down face level with the wannabe thief. He put a hand on the boy's shoulder and shook him, gently at first but with increasing intensity until the little man was positively shook into awareness.

"Ah-AH DON'T HURT ME, IT WASN'T MY IDEA-slap

"I'm going to ask you some questions, and you're going to answer with either yes, or no. Any other answer will be met with a slap of equal force until you comply. Are we clear?" The boy dumbly nodded his assent.

"Good. Are you two brothers?"

"Yes."

"Are you two orphans?"

"Well, tech
-slap-YES, SIR-slap-yes..."

"Were you going to pawn off my equipment in order to buy food?"

"...yes?"

"Is that a question?"
Lee asked with a raised brow.

"YE-N-no!"

The knight stared at the boy for a few seconds, his gaze giving the boy a feeling that he was being measured for slaughter. Eventually the knight stood up and, after patting away as much as he could from his garb, threw his gaze at the boy once again.

"What are you waiting for, fool. Get, get!" He kicked the boy in the leg and watched him scramble to his feet, running away with his tail between his legs. Later that boy would discover that a couple of gold coins had seemingly spawned within the pockets of his garb. He allowed a small smile to don his face as he leant down to pick up his backpack, and hearing the familiar clatter of his sword and dagger made the smile widen even more.

"There we go," he said inwardly to himself as he clasped the handle of his great-sword, effortlessly picking it up from the ground where the scrawny thief had tossed it. Resting it on his shoulder, he walked out of the alleyway. Immediately he was hit with the distinct smell of burnt wood and charcoal, whilst the recurring sounds of battle became even clearer. The man inhaled deeply before sighing, "I knew the battle was going to come to Norcrest at some point," he thought and recalled a prayer to the Lord of Light, to beg forgiveness for the sins committed in battle.

Navigating the labyrinthian roads of the capital was something that Lee was overly familiar with; Norcrest had been his home for the last one to two years. Yet, in the chaos created by this sudden attack on the city, it had become even more difficult for one to reach their destination. Once or twice he had been jumped by dagger-wielding cloaked figures; an equal amount of times he had cut down said cloaked figures. Eventually his venture brought him to the Norcrest docks as, he figured, that's where most of the people - merchants and the like - would flee to and thus making it a prime target for ambush; round em' up like sheep being led to slaughter, or so the idiom went.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyBoy
Collaboration done with: @Elvario @Esper @Sarnai
Tagging: @Remun @Boo Girlie BoomBoom

Esper

A man appeared, talking about getting people to the keep. This one must have been a guard, though he seemed a lot less steeled than some of the others. "You take point then since you know the city best and if and I mean if we can save others without risking our necks I'll back you up. Bron can stay in the middle in case we need to fall back and I'll take the rear guard position. No one will get the jump on us and we'll keep our heads...ideally."

Niki's eyes darted back and forth. She counted one cowardly guard and now a slight and panicked individual who looked more like a liability in getting their client to keep charging at them. Likely a trick or a trap to get lured into an ambush.

This was not her day or week. All she wanted was to be paid and then take a long bath with Bronya. It was then she nocked an arrow aimed aimed at the woman running toward them, feather once more tickling her cheek. Thankfully it wasn't the poisoned one. In one fluid motion the arrow was nocked, aimed and released on a quickly fired half draw, not listening to the words being spoken. It was better perhaps to injure first and apologize later if the arrow did not find lethal hold. At this range she figured the poundage in her pull would still penetrate and at the least floor them, but not kill.

Elvario
Melia was more than a little relieved to hear that the others were willing to come along, which would show to those that'd look at her facial expression for the short moment between the reply and the drawing of her sword. The slightly curved blade was far from a standard guard weapon, but she'd taken a liking to it after having taken it from a bandit leader who's group once tried to attack the Empress. He'd been the only one of considerable skill, so naturally she'd taken an interest to his weapon and fighting style, which eventually lead her to copy it. The one thing that remained the same was her shield, displaying the crest of her family, for better or worse.

Melia was impressed when she saw Nikilina shoot an arrow without hesitation. Hunting animals was impressive, but shooting at people was a skill of its own. Nikilina proved herself to be capable of both. As an archer herself, she had noticed how mean looking these particular arrows were. She'd almost feel sorry for the one hit by them. Almost.

That's when they were interrupted by an odd figure. He looked like a hunter, but he sounded far more like a city guard, considering how focused he was on escorting people to the keep. The discrepancy made her a little weary, which the other two might pick up on. She didn't want to risk being shot in the back by someone posing as an ally, so she needed a way to better estimate his place in all this. A direction question to ascertain his knowledge on events seemed the most logical option. "Do you know more about what's going on and who's behind this?" Her own theory was that there was some sort of uprising, as an attack from within was the easiest way to explain how this type of organised chaos could suddenly erupt through the entire city.

She noticed her guides were at least as suspicious as she was, but Nikilina came up with a good enough suggestion. Having the risk take the front would ensure that they at least wouldn't get back-stabbed by him. Just after somewhat sorting that one out, a new issue arrived. Melia was caught off guard by the screaming and panicking women, although her reaction was to merely raise her shield in that direction. She agreed with Bronya, but did have something to add. "We can't bring you to the docks, but you can join us and head towards the keep. If your friend is looking for safety, they'll likely head there as well."

(Were Nikilina's arrow to have hit Rodent in a way that made it impossible for her to walk and/or walk fast enough to keep up, Melia would turn towards Valence. "If you really want to get citizens to safety, please start by helping her to the keep." She'd then take the front in his stead, intercepting enemies with her shield and sword so that Bronya and Nikilina could finish them off.)

Sarnai
Bronya glanced upwards at the man coming towards them as she finished strapping the 'borrowed' buckler to her arm, swinging her sword in order to test the new balance of having the weight on her offhand, judging it reasonable enough. Turning her head over towards Nikilina as the man jogged towards them, she frowned, raising an eyebrow in a silent question. A random armed man in the middle of a bizarre, chaotic assault on the city insisting that they help him? Not to be trusted.

Going back to side-eyeing the suspicious interloper she nodded in agreement once Nikilina was done speaking. "I agree. If we are in danger of being overwhelmed, you all get behind me and I will provide a stalling action for you to get away."

Then, as Bronya started to ask what direction the keep was in, a small black haired girl burst out of a nearby alleyway and started rushing towards them. Raising her weapons, she stepped towards Melia, intent on shielding her from potential ambush when the familiar twang of Nikilina's bow rang out in the middle of the girl's babbling. Confident in her partner's aim, she spun on her heel towards the man who had run up to them earlier, sword still up in case he was working with the young woman and she was the distraction for him to try and attack.

(If the arrow hits Rodent, Bronya would continue to guard Melia and watch Valence, letting Nikilina check on Rodent to see the extent of her injuries and then agree with Melia's suggestion of Valence carrying her with them to the keep.)

~Rodent~

rodent-Hat.jpg

rodent1.jpg

<~~<>~~>​

The arrow aimed at her was not meant as a killing blow but it was still nonetheless the gleaming sharp business end meant to find home in her little body.

Her knees began to tremble and big eyes began to flutter; the adrenaline that rushed through her body thus far was reaching its illustrious end.
The mental and physical fatigue caught up to her and her body became heavier and heavier and so to the ground she fell. And what was meant as a non lethal bow shot soon turned into a sudden moment of white-knuckled horror. As she fell her chin hit her chest and so now the business end of the arrow was flying straight for her head.

With yet even more words set to pour out from her quivering lips, instead she let out a sharp yelp. Rodent's head snapped back and a bit to the left as the arrow riccocheted off the left side of her forehead and just above her brow. The arrow did not find home, instead it hurtled off into the distance behind them, bouncing off the wall and making a clattering noise as it hit the ground's cobblestoned surface. The girl was lucky she was not killed outright; a few inches lower and the arrow would have gone straight through her eye and deep right into that scattered brain of hers. Yes the arrow did take a good, bloodied piece out of her head, but that's not what did her in.

There was not enough strength left in the little thief for her to throw her hands out to brace her fall. Instead, her raven-haired bobble head bonked hard onto the cobblestone road and bounced off of it. The impact was not harsh enough to draw blood, but a nice shiny and purply bump would definitely greet her in the looking glass later, if she did end up survivng this whole ordeal that was.

"Oh...! You shot me...!" her voice was strained but the words were not so much a cry of shock as they were a comment re-affirming what had just transpired.

With cheek latched to the pavement and shock of black hair framing her pale face, big green eyes became half-lidded as she sighed, resigned to her fate. As her dark lashed lids fluttered several times, her eyes rolled up into her head and the girl slipped into the confines of darkness and unconsciousness.

<~~<>~~>​

Reactions: JohnnyBoy
It took only a few moments for them to respond to him which is good but he could tell by their attitude that they would likely be wary of him, at least for now. He cannot blame them of course, he would be suspicious of someone like him as well though he now has a chance to change that. He would not take an arrow for one of them if he does not have to but well...it always looks better if you are the idiotic type of brave. He addresses Melia since she asked him so directly, trying to seem as anxious and ready to go as he could. "I just want to go to the forest. I am a hunter but then...fire, smoke, screams carry from the docks so I look for town guards but your crest makes you much more.Old fisherman at the docks talks about Empress Guard so I think you are safe. My father always tell me to help others, so I..."

At first his face shows relief that they are willing to help him and then a quick turn towards the direction of the arrow since he did not notice the girl running towards them and her...well collapsing shortly after. "What are you doing?!" He shouts at them, running over to the collapsed Rodent, looking at her wound together with Nikilina. "You could killed her!" After his outburst, he grabs Rodent and carries her in his arms. Luckily she is not too heavy so it does not impair him too much to take her with. He gives his new group a quick nod as he is ready to walk with them. "My name is Teun." He tells them before they get moving. While he carries Rodent, he does notice her attire which makes him suspicious of her, so he uses the time he is carrying her to feel up her equipment to confirm his thoughts.

The screaming does not die down but now the sounds of clashing steel and loud grunts of effort join the chorus that is the cacophonie of the city's chaos. The Smoke seems to be getting more widespread, other locations joining the burning as it creeps towards them inch by inch and it is… a bit terrifying if he is honest. They are not here to conquer or anything, they are here to simply eradicate this city and so far it seems they have the means to do so. He really hopes that the one in front of him is smart enough to flee when it becomes too dangerous.

Being lost in his own thoughts almost caused him to collide with Melia as she stopped just in time, a loud clunk-ing sound was heard and an arrow hitting the ground. "By the Ursine, they everywhere!" Since he is quite tall, he starts to crouch so he does not give them an easy target, especially since he cannot fight back right now. He still follows her since he is quite sure that they are quite capable of taking out one or two of these hooded idiots.

"To the left, then over there, next to bakery." With them keeping a steady pace he lead them towards one of the lesser used pathways towards the keep, trying to get away from the crazy street situation. "Most hide here I hope."

It takes them a good 15 minutes before they find a group of four survivors, apparently three young adults and their more elderly mother. One of them seems to be injured, the arrow in his leg is stuck halfway through his knee, it looks bad. The other two are holding him up. He remembers the old lady, she is a weaver. "Granny Elena, glad to see you safe!"

The old lady and her sons are quick to follow them without much question upon seeing Melia's Crest and "Teun" who they know at least.

@Elvario @Boo Girlie BoomBoom @Esper @Sarnai

Collaboration done with: @Esper @Sarnai
Tagging: @Remun @Boo Girlie BoomBoom @Elvario

"What are you doing?!" He shouts at them, running over to the collapsed Rodent, looking at her wound together with Nikilina. "You could killed her!"

=============================================================================================

Niki scoffed at the very idea, then spoke in a very matter of fact way, still minding her volume. "If I had intended her to die she would have had a different kind of arrow in her, then a sword if needed, repeatedly. I am practical in my ways, not cruel. If you could, try to see this from my perspective before you start yelling and giving away our position. She charged like a panicked animal right when you showed up. It seemed like an ambush, so, better to fire an arrow first and ask questions later. Besides my job right now is protecting someone from start to apparently this keep you speak of. So while it seems personal it really is not, but I can check to make sure she isn't too injured when we are somewhere safe."
=============================================================================================
Bronya snorts as she finally lowers her sword, focusing on scanning the surrounding area for potential incoming threats. "She speaks true, if she wanted the girl dead then she would be dead. And if you had attempted to stop her, then you would have also been dead." She said in a deadpan tone from next to Melia.

Sword out and ready, Bronya fell in step with Niki as they began following Melia, careful to keep one eye on the man behind them carrying the young girl. Just because he was inconvenienced didn't mean he wasn't dangerous after all. After a few minutes of travel, the sound of conflict ahead of them made her frown and brace for potential danger, cursing as an arrow skittered against the stone wall near to them.

She frowned even deeper as the man who called himself "Teun" pointed out a specific building and began leading them towards it. As the man started leading the way towards their new destination, Bronya jogged a few steps to catch up with Melia.

"He knows quite a lot about darting around in back alleys. A lot more than you would expect from a simple hunter." She muttered suspiciously to her employer.

Entering the bakery, she quickly began checking the other rooms of the building, remembering her lessons from her mother about never taking a situation at face value and to always make sure she had all the information available. She hadn't always gotten along with or agreed with her mother on most things, but her parents had survived thirty years in the military. Pretending that that hadn't taught them some things would of been stupid even by her standards, and Bronya was not going to let her partner or her client get hurt because of stupid mistakes like getting distracted by a group of seeming innocents and not checking for hidden attackers.
Nikilina meanwhile as Bronya sweep for what was hidden eyed the arrow to the knee of the injured young man in this new group of four they found thoughtfully while still keeping the others in her line of sight. She had no idea what kind of arrow was in there since the arrow's head was buried in the flesh. Her own were intended to be hard to remove by design with carved teeth and hooks, but those were for unarmored targets. She also had others intended for punching through armors, and still others with poison of both designs. That meant tearing this one out could potentially cause more injury. After a few moments she provided her assessment. "We may need to push that out the back of the leg, but I will need to get a better look at the wound first to know that. Do not disturb the arrow. It may be the only thing keeping him from bleeding worse. We will bring you all with us. Do not fall behind. I do not intend to die here today for the sake of a pack."

Last edited by a moderator:
Melia Ethelweard
GrLSsAk.jpg

Interactions/mentions: Nikilina Swifteye @Esper | Bronya Dzik @Sarnai | Teun @Remun | Rodent @Boo Girlie BoomBoom

Melia clicked her tongue. The situation was about as convoluted as it could get. Having a suspicious girl carried around by an even more suspicious guy wasn't a great way to try to find her way to the keep, especially not in a city under attack by mysterious enemies. Having seen a few more of those enemies, she was starting to doubt her uprising theory. They looked far too organized, despite the chaos. The 'hunter's' words weren't convincing either. Old fishermen talking about her? The only old fishermen she'd ever talked with either complained about their wives, talked about the weather, or retold ancient tales of their times on the seas. Why in the world would such a folk be talking about her? Her visit wasn't exactly announced here, as that'd have made her travel through enemy territory to get here pretty much impossible.

She brushed off her suspicions, as the guy would at least make himself useful, but she kept them at the back of her mind. That's what almost made her draw her blade on 'Teun' when he bumped into her after she stopped to check a particularly suspicious rooftop. If she'd been guarding the empress, that would've been the kind of spot to which she'd sent some men to keep it under watch to prevent an ambush. Her suspicions were proven correct by an arrow that grazed her shield and ended up on the ground. She gritted her teeth, raised her shield and slowly made her way to the side of the streets, hoping to get out of line of sight from those archers.

She was getting even more suspicious of Teun when he wanted to lead them into a back-alley. Bronya's words rang true, so she'd reply with a hushed voice. "Being attacked just before such an alley is equally suspicious. We should keep an eye on him."

A slight bit of her suspicion was taken away when he actually recognized some civilians, who recognized him in turn. While his story still didn't seem to fully add up, it at least showed he was a local. She left the injured man to Nikilina, whilst she herself went to have a quick word with the elderly women. It was a little difficult to let a panicked woman speak on a subject irrelevant to her immediate safety, but Melia knew how to speak with enough authority to get an answer, and the promise of being lead safely to the keep aided in making her speak even more. This quick conversation proved that Teun's story held up thus far, although she did learn that he lady hadn't known him for all that long. It didn't disprove anything, but it didn't prove much either. Her worries remained.

From the little she knew about the lay-out of the city, they shouldn't be too far off from their destination."We shouldn't be too far from the keep, so do as my companion told you. Keep up and push yourself to your limits if you need to. We can't stick around for long." With that, she continued, taking the lead again, yet following Teun's directions. For as long as his directions lead towards what she knew to be the general direction of the keep, she'd trust him just enough to follow them.

Maunari Sigatar

Fingers brushed over Mau's skin. Warm, familiar, cautious in their intent. Being awoken from such a deep sleep meant that she did not remember who she. At least not in the first few blinks of clarity. But she knew the touch, she knew the affection behind it. Her hand shot out and snatched the wrist connected to the touch. Not a warning, not hostile. Acknowledgement. Her grip loosened with the same speed that the vice grip had been applied. "Papa?" She whispered, voice slurred with grogginess. Her weight slumped into the hard frame of the...counter. She had fallen asleep by the window, again. No wonder Naro had come to wake her. Wafts of freshly cooked loaves swirled through the air, colliding with Mau's senses. Her nerves fired all systems, shocks of clarity igniting her wakefulness. She had overslept. She shot up, the tightened muscles in her back protesting with each twist and turn.

"Maunari." Her father whispered, voice stern. His hand moved to grip her shoulder, giving it a warning squeeze. Mau's brow rose, perplexing overtaking the weariness straining her body. "Get under the counter. And be very quiet." Mau nodded, each swing of her head dramatized with a flourish of mangled hair. She slid, palms propping herself towards the floor. She huddled obediently beside her father, eyes glazed.

"Did that mother of five come back again? I know she scares you with her advances father but it is nothing to pull me aside for..."

"There are invaders outside our door, Maunari." He kept his voice low, hand still firm on her shoulder. "Our street is...clear as it can, but I have been hearing screams close by. I have barricaded the door in preparation for the worst. I would go out there myself but with such an unknown enemy I fear..."

"Wise." Mau confirmed, his words barely registering. "You will stay in shop. I can observe the area."

"What makes you believe that if I cannot go out, that you will be able to handle yourself?" His voice was not degrading. His eyes shone with the kindness of a father she had grown close to, a father who'd rather rip out his own throat than witness the mutilation of his child.

"My joints are more fit, I am sturdier." Mau shot him a crooked smile. "I will not be gone long, papa. I think that if we were to search the area and bring in potential survivors, we can barricade more readily. If I am gone for much more than an hour, then we will have concerns. Not for myself, of course."

"I should come with you, if this is your plan." Naro's expression softened. He released his daughter. He braced himself against the counter, pulling himself to survey the window. He crouched down beside her. Mau could see his chest begin to tremble. She shook her head.

"No. If I am to bring back survivors, I need someone to look over the shop. I doubt it will be a target, but..." Her lips twisted into a grimace, the fog hanging over her head beginning to dissipate. Adrenaline thrummed through her veins with thoughts of combat. "I don't want to risk you getting hurt, either."

"That should be my concern, dearest." Mau watched her father contemplate her plan. A foolish one that could lead to her own death with one wrong step. Maunari, the girl who would step into a tavern brawl without a moment's notice, Mau, who'd challenge men three times her size. Mau knew what her father thought of her. She'd be the death of him if she weren't careful. "I'm the one to protect you."

"You are the one who taught me to break the bonds of tradition." She shot him a lazy smile, resting her forefinger between his brow. "You taught me the best. If I do not return within the hour, you may begin to ask yourself if you should find me." She retracted from him. She watched her father deflate in front of her, knowing that if they argued any longer on the matter, nothing would be accomplished. Keeping crouched, she made her way to the display cases, where fresh loaves from that morning had been laid. Beneath the display was her quarterstaff and sheath for her carving knife. Equipping her materials, Mau slung her staff over her shoulder.

"You have an hour." Her father whispered, warningly.

"I'll make it back in half." She saluted him lazily, sauntering out the door, fully accepting that the adventure she was about to embark could have been a figment of her own dreams. Ducking into the alleyway beside her store, she peeked around the opposing end. People. Not many now, but just enough. In the directions of the docks. She'd make her way over. Ensure their survival. She kept herself low, stalking close behind.

Deklan fully expected to die as he watched his assassin run full speed toward him. He stuck out the walking stick hoping that it would stop the woman. Who was he trying to fool? This woman was going to turn him into her bloody pin cushion. Then she stopped running.

Deklan looked on in disbelief, but he didn't get a chance to properly evaluate the situation before a woman's hand snatched him by the wrist and dragged him behind her. Everything blurred passed him, even the man who shouted something about a dragon and stowaways. It took only a moment for him to catch on.

"Oh!" He called between labored breaths, "a boat!" He chuckled nervously and stumbled a few steps before catching himself, "I thought he was talkin' about a dragon!"

Eyes flickering over to Deklan, the woman flashed a small, wan smile, suggesting a bit of sympathy, though for what she did not say. Instead, she turned to the other stranger and gave him a look, before unhooking a small leather pouch on her hip, "Bled dry, either way, it seems. Not that I'm one to begrudge an opportunist, love… but what's the going rate for heroism these days?"

Holt looked towards the group of people that were filling barrels full of water on his orders, and then to the merchants that were swarming other boats for passage. "I suppose it would depend on the demand for heroism, but sometimes you have to work at cost to keep the business running." He pondered for a moment. "Us opportunists, we like Norcrest. We aren't just going to let it burn to the ground. Not without a fight." With that, he took another large barrel, and turned it sideways. "If ye help get this water where it needs to go, I let ye on board." Holt left the terms of how the two could help up to them, and though he didn't want to betray sentimentality, he knew that it would still come across as odd an opportunist like himself would risk his life for commoners.

Leaning on his knees, something he only felt comfortable doing after checking to make sure his would-be assassin was no longer pursuing them, Deklan breathed through burning lungs, "So move those," he gestured weakly toward the barrels, "over where?" He stood up and stretched his back, "Should be no problem while the city burns and people be tryin' to turn us into pin cushions," sarcasm laced his words as he pulled the satchel close to his chest, "Oh, gods."

With a glimmer of pity, the woman reached out and a hand touched Deklan's forearm, briefly, but comforting, "It's alright, dear. You take a moment. Deep breaths. You've had an ordeal. I'm certain no one expects you to rush." Turning to the boatsman, she fished into the bag and deftly flicked over two gold coins, stamped with the moniker of Eldrassir, "That ought to be more than enough for his passage, I imagine."

Returning the bag to her hip and instead unfastening her cloak, she held it out to Deklan, "Just you keep hold of that, now. Spent a pretty price of copper on it and I'd hate to lose it. And stick close."

Bending first to shunt a barrel into her arms, gritting lightly at the weight, her gaslight eyes shifted to the perceived captain, a brow twitching upwards, "Have you a blade I can borrow, love? Afraid I lost both of mine keeping my friend here in one piece."

Holt pocketed the two gold coins without any refutation. It was true that the other man appeared exhausted, but Holt wouldn't deprive him of the choice to help out. It was also true that the work would be dangerous as the anarchists could be anywhere in Norcrest, and so he didn't take the woman's help lightly either. She seemed like a person he could trust based on her actions so far, and as for the man, Holt believed he would have other chances to prove himself eventually. Holt unfastened his leather scabbard that held his sword and held it for the woman for her to take.

The Dragonsbane's crew here was few, as the other half hadn't returned from shore leave yet. Holt hoped that they weren't yet dead. The crew was a rough lot, but they were good people, and it would be a heavy loss if they couldn't find them and bring them home. Another crewmate by the name of Seadog joined up with Holt, eyeing up the man and woman with distrust in his eyes.

"Stowaways." said Holt.
Seadog nodded. "We be arranging a search party for the lollygaggers while the few remaining guard. I take it you be in charge of the keg run."
Seadog did have a strange sense of humor, and though Holt didn't smile, he had gotten used to Seadog's metaphors. It was a great risk to put more men in danger for a search and recovery effort, but it was the right thing to do, as was trying to douse some of the fire so it didn't take the entire city.
"I am."
Seadog left without a nod. It wasn't their way to say goodbye. The small group armed with swords moved as a small battalion, leaving the group of commoners who had filled the barrels behind. If only they had wagons and horses.

They didn't have enough barrels to handle much, but they could try to limit the spread. More commoners had joined in the effort while Holt had been preoccupied with two people, and now there was a small crowd, much to his surprise, but they were scared.

Deklan grunted as he pushed over a barrel allowing the water to run down flaming steps and into a small shop. The fire hissed in objection before vanishing in smoke. He leaned against the door jam and sighed. Books and thoughts. They were always what he preferred more than labor.

"One more fire dow-" he started, but a small bit of debris fell from above and caught his eye. Looking up, he spotted shadowy, cloaked figures darting across the roof. When he looked around at the buildings that surrounded them, he realized there were men perched on every roof.

A single torch revealed yellow teeth before it went soaring through the air.

"A-A-Assassins!" He stuttered through as he pointed into the night sky and the shadows now jumping from the low roofs.

TAGS | Collab with @foodforpigs , @DarinValore || Opening for @Vec , @KatSea

It took a hot minute to make the old woman tell the Empress Guard what she wanted to know but afterwards, they quickly made their way towards the keep. As quick as you can be with two injured and an old lady slower than someone who has to hobble.

They finally reached the keep, not one second too late as well. They could now hear more of the robed figures near the keep and he for one does not wish to be out here when they attack them right here. "Let get going!"

Whilst moving towards the gate, a singular arrow heads for Valence and the still unconscious Rodent. He cursed. "Vulgta!" comes out of his mouth and he closes his eyes, trying to duck...and then it happens. He cannot say what exactly happened, though it felt like...a gust of wind, a strong swoosh, only there for a fraction of a second which is just enough for the arrow to narrowly avoid them, hitting the ground with a clattering sound.

For a split second, there is no reaction from him aside from a bit of headache before he repeats himself. "Let get going!" It seems odd that he would do that but after coming face to face with death right there, it could be considered reasonable that he says it again.

The gates are opened to let them in, barely though. The guards do look at the people who try to enter to make sure not to let any spies in...which is quickly squandered with the authority of Melia which is most useful!

After getting in the keep itself, Valence huffs, panting from the run through the chaotic city with Rodent in his arms. "We did it…" His head turns to the guards. "We have two wounded, we need help!" Then he remembers that one of the wild ladies seemed versed in healing. "We need supplies, I believe one is healer?" His eyes wander between Nikilina and Bronya. He did remember Nikilina talking but 'Teun' would not pick up on such details. He is not the smartest after all.

The Guards are quickly busy with the old woman rambling, getting supplies and space whilst asking Melia for information on the situation since they do not have a good overview. They need numbers, Identities of their attackers and more.
@Elvario @Esper @Sarnai @Boo Girlie BoomBoom

~Rodent~

rodent-Hat.jpg

rodent1.jpg

<~~<>~~>​

Enveloped by the dark, drifting in and out of a sea made of blackness was she. So thick and viscous was the black that even the visons of her nightmares could not penetrate the boundaries of where she found herself. This was her safe place. She had been here many times before; the most recent time was right before she found herself at the steps of the Serenity Inn.

And she was right to find herself here. But with the sights of the burning city... and the burning bodies. Most still had their eyes open, unseeing of course, but still Rodent found herself looking at her own reflection within their lifeless stares. But here, they could not find her. Perhaps she would stay here a while. Perhaps longer than before--

The blackness moved. Her body kicked involuntarily in the land of the waking and a small, dry yelp she would let out. But here in the sea of blackness, for whatever reason, she was not afraid. In fact, she felt comforted. Guided. With purpose. She held on for dear life and from the blackness she soared into the Darkness and her mind tingled and tickled with elation like never known before in her young life. Her little heart soared. Rodent was not alone in the dark anymore.

<~~>​
A singular loud gasp she gave and took in air like one who had been beneath the waters for far too long. Big green eyes snapped open and into a defensive curled up position went the little thing as it woke. Instinctively, she internally asked and answered the required sequence of questions after blacking out: What is your name?What year is it?Where are you?What do you remember last?Sisters bound until we die--

Charming!! she wanted to scream out but instead a low moan she let out as light and reality shot back with a vengeance into her eyes and brain. She was alive. Frantically she felt around on her body and then for her pack and kit. All was accounted for thankfully as she pulled her belongings closer to her.
'Teun' would have noted that in her pack was: a silk rope expertly tied and collapsed away, several not-too-heavy batons and round objects, another set of clothes as well as: hats, boots and gloves, some elongated metal objects with sharp and jagged ends, some fluffy objects tied together. On her person he would note a knife in her boot, but no, he would not find any thieves tools therein by feeling around.

And speaking of 'feeling around' should that male have felt around for anything young and round or all-too-ladylike on her person hopefully one would have seen it and gave him the business end of what he deserved.
Out of Teun's arms she had been taken and tended to. Wounds now washed and wrapped, Rodent rolled and onto her knees and closed her eyes; the world was swimming and she felt a throbbing pain. Slowly, she reached up to feel out the source of her pain. An inward hissing sound she made when she touched the cloth that wrapped her bloody wound above her brow and a squeak of pain she let out when she patted at the bump on the side of her forehead.

Someone, a guard or attendant of some kind that had washed and tended her wounds was beside her asking-- no demanding if she was alright and if she needed more medical attention. A strained smile and a hurried shaking of her head she gave them whilst waving them away. She needed to get out of here and make it to the dockside. Wait. Where was here?

A couple gut check breaths she took and, looking like a cross between a bumbling baby and a wavering drunk, she finally stood. The sounds were still the same; chaos. But at the smell of burning buildings and other things --Rodent covered her eyes, shuddered and let out a small dry heave-- had definitely subsided. Then a sudden thought popped into her bobbly head: Wait someone had shot her!!

Frantically she looked around for the auburn-headed archer, readying to bolt post haste if she saw them again, but her eyes were still watering and it was hard to focus. But she did see a tall and lanky figure there talking with some guards-- the other archer!! Slowly and eerily too quietly for someone in her state, she sidled her way back to him. She leaned a bit to the left and stared up at Teun to get his attention but close enough to use him for cover in case the auburn-headed archer had readied another arrow with her name on it.

"Excuse me kind sir... aye, down here," there was two, almost three of him. But after blinking several times and wiping away at her eyes Rodent finally saw there was only one of him, "can ye tell me what happened and how I got... wherever it is we are...? And dont mean t'be rude, sir. Pleading y'mercies--" with a grimace on her face, she gave his bow a cursory glance, "--been shot at already has this lass. Don't be needing another hole in me head. Aye..."

<~~<>~~>​

Last edited:
The Norcrest Keep

1623244253820.jpeg

"Put the wounded over there," a young woman ordered with a pointed hand as two men carried an unconscious man into the keep between them. She wore what used to be a white robe, but blood had stained it red and pink, "Anyone not wounded can go to the tables set up on the opposite side. There's fresh water and bandages so you can help with those who are."

She passed the back of her hand across her sweaty forehead causing strands of red hair to cling to streaks of sweat mingled with blood. She was exhausted, but she couldn't show it not when so many people depended on her for strength and guidance during a time like this. With the king mustering a force to push back the enemy forces and the queen and princess working just as hard as she was to tend and direct those who entered the keep, Nevaeh couldn't collapse under the strain of weariness.

"Oracle."

Nevaeh's eyes turned to a guard who's armor clanked as he bowed and pressed a gauntleted hand against his chest. She allowed a smile to grace her lips.

"The Queen is asking if you've divined an end to this?" He asked.

An end to this? Nevaeh scanned the room. Gods, the senseless bloodshed of war never seemed to end. In this case, though, her vision did provide an image of the end of the slaughter and the beginning of a journey, a journey she'd have to take with people she didn't know.

"Tell the queen that there will be an end. Tell her the sun will rise over-" she paused the moment her eyes fell on members of the group she was to adventure with. "The fighting will end and peace will return to Norcrest," she offered another smile and the guard bowed, a heavy load visibly lifted from his shoulder.

"If you'll excuse me," Nevaeh smiled and the guard hurried off. She brushed her hands over her bloodstained robe and pushed her way through the crowd.

Nevaeh came to a sudden stop when her eyes fell on a small band of travellers, "Is it time already?" She asked herself under her breath. It was too soon. These people needed her help. She took a deep breath to steel herself. She'd seen it and knew there was no resisting it.

She walked up to the group and cleared her throat.

"Welcome to the Norcrest Keep. I am the Oracle. What an interesting company of strangers," She asked with a smile.

Melia Ethelweard
GrLSsAk.jpg

Interactions/mentions: Teun @Remun | Oracle @DarinValore

As if their hunter-turned-city-guide hadn't been odd enough already, he started by almost getting himself killed and continued with repeating himself. At this rate, she was growing slightly less suspicious of him as a potential enemy with well-hidden evil intend, but she also grew a lot more suspicious of him as someone that might have some unpredictable screws loose. His odd speech, mannerisms and reflexes quick enough to dodge an arrow didn't make him any less suspicious in that regard. Even so, he ended up actually delivering them to their destination, for which a short word of thanks was in order. "Thanks for getting us here."

The girl they'd shot woke up short after making it to the keep. All in all, she was glad her group hadn't killed someone that could just be a civilian. She wondered if she should address her, but she decided to leave it to Teun, upon spotting a person of interest. It was none other than the Oracle herself. Among the chaos of guards, wounded and doctors, the Oracle stood out enough to spot at first glance.

Melia made a short bow towards the woman. "I'm Melia Ethelweard, here on behalf of the Cythein Empire." With that out of the way, she decided to jump straight to the matter at hand. "The current time doesn't seem one for discussing politics. Is there anything known about the attackers and there goals here?" Truth be told, she wasn't a fan of all the 'Oracle' stuff, as she doubted highly whether or not there was any truth to it. Even so, the woman might be able to inform her of the situation here, especially considering there didn't seem to be anyone else around that displayed both calmness and authority.