Swords and Coats

Heather forced a deep, careful breath. Another utterance of the names, and she began forward when Ori told her to go forward, only to pause when she heard no other feet. She looked back, still nervous, and noticed Rook had his headband over his eyes.

Why?

She let her gaze wander as Ronin silently questioned Ori.

The bones—she saw the skulls among them. Few looked the size to belong to adults. Most looked like children's. Her breath caught as she noticed one skull with small teeth. It was missing one bottom tooth, and another looked half-grown in. Both top front teeth were missing.

Some skulls were even smaller. Others were larger.

The Templars sent them down starting at five or six years. How many did they send, if so many died, but their cult could still continue to function and prosper—not only that, but be willing to shed lives like in the courtyard?

She didn't hear Ori's urging to hurry up, but the shift in the light and shadows as Ronin moved his pillar caught her attention. With a jump, she looked up.

They seemed ready to go—at least, Ronin and Rook. She swallowed after a moment. All of them seemed still—was Ori making the clicking with his tidying?

"Rook—" she hesitated to go with Rook blindfolded. Her dreams, she'd seen now, either weren't wholly accurate, or they only showed a partial image and convinced her she'd seen everything.

She wanted to ask if Rook was hiding from the skulls, but instead her jaw tightened. She had to be strong—had to earn her place among them, and then they'd destroy the Hunters. Pointing out discomfort didn't seem a wise idea. "Rook, you might want to remove the blindfold once we get—get moving. I... I remember hearing about narrow walkways and other hazards, and... and my dream, I don't think it showed me much of what's in here."

The girl fidgeted a few moments as she pursed her lips, jaw tense.

With that said, she looked around the circular room, and toward the only exit—a massive doorway.

Beside the exit, a bloated and discolored corpse of a child still held a small flint daggers in each hand. His jaw hung open and head lolled. On his neck, a massively swollen lump with a black hole that leaked tar forced the angle of his head to the side. A large amount of his flesh was gone—the remainder darkened by dried blood. Other similarly fresh corpses, each with the swollen lump, laid nearby. Most held defensive positions. None had a single hair on their bodies. Some weren't even armed. A few had shoddy makeshift armor.

One was only three and a half feet tall.

Her eyes paused on a pair of boots that looked like her size, and even as the thought entered her mind, she denied it—she didn't want to snatch shoes from a corpse, even if the bones hurt her feet. Those boots did seem familiar, though...

She shook her head, recited the names, and then started through. "Watch... watch your step. Lots of... um... bodies."

Saying it out loud somehow made it seem more frightening. That clicking wouldn't stop.

Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap.

There was a long pause between each, and now that she faced the way out, it was louder.

Her first few steps were halfway confident, but grew less so as she continued forward, and the tapping grew louder. Rook's light could only go so far up the sharp incline of the path ahead.

Heather slowed to a wary stop as she bent and leaned forward to look up.

Something white shot through the space her head had been.

A pale, spiked stinger stuck up from the stone floor. The uneven and fleshy ivory cord that connected it to the darkness tightened. The stinger began to loosen from its landing place, ready to zip back into the unknown.

The girl remained still, eyes locked on the darkness from where the line emerged. She trembled as images of the boys with the swollen wounds resurfaced in her mind.