Stories (Yiyel & Sarre)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amber listened, and then suddenly she found herself focusing on keeping her face still - plastering on the same expression she'd been wearing since he'd arrived. "Oh, you were theorising on Dr. Ku's project," she said, soaking in a wave of bitter understanding. He'd latched on. Damn it. And he was too close. She catalogued his words carefully before forumlating her reply.

"These are all very interesting," she said, "And have you talked to Dr. Ku about them? The journals they write don't really talk about his hypothesis' - and there's no way either of us would be able to get permission to speak to him. I mean our ranks are alright - it would be possible, but then you look at our fields and there's no way it won't be at least a little suspicious." Then she lifted her eyebrow - another manufactured movement. "And what's this about a dog...?"

Perry looked up, alarmed. "Oh, no, it's not what it looks like. I'd been thinking about this for eons - Dr. Ku's work just happens to be the latest relevant piece of work on it, and it might not even be related for all we know - it just reminded me of it. And no, Ku hasn't heard about them - I'm in a predicament where communicating these ideas with anyone relevant would be... less than ideal, to say the least. You might get demoted, but for me it would be a bit more complicated."

He looked back to his drink, finishing it. "As for the dog, it was the first and last animal used in these trials. We'd successfully transposed items between two times - making it exist twice at the same time for a while, and managing to make it not exist for a while - while in a vacuum. Then we had limited success with doing it in atmosphere - most of the time it created a small shockwave. But the others thought it was time to move on to something more practical - doing it with life. They started by trying to phase out of existence a hamster. It succeeded - the hamster did not exist for ten seconds. Then they moved on to something bigger - a cat. It succeeded, but the cat died within a week due to air embolisms. And then they brought in that gorgeous labrador, and tried it. The dog never came back. After that, the team downsized, and the project focusing on the opposite of what happened to the dog - making things exist without them having a physical counterpart in this time - which, if they ever were successful, would prove useful when entropy becomes a problem." He sighed. "Anyhow, that's what I was talking about. Nothing relevant to this time and place anymore."

And with that, he pulled out two candy bars, opening one of them and placing the other one on the table, inviting Amber to take it. "At least I don't think it matters, but then again Ku might disagree..." He looked around, for a little. "Talking about Ku, I have a few things to say. Not here though - meet you at yours or mine?"

@Sarre

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.