ROLEPLAY Sticking with it

Quincunx

sludge of love
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays, Private Convo Roleplays
Posting Speed
Speed of Light, Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week
My Usual Online Time
6 - 10 PM, Eastern Standard Time
Writing Levels
Intermediate, Adept, Advanced, Adaptable
Genders You Prefer Playing
Male, Female, Futanari, Androgynous, Primarily Prefer Female
Playing Style- Passive or Aggressive
tba
Favorite Genres
Magical, Scifi, Action
Genre You DON'T Like
Furry, realism
Hey all,

I'm wondering how I can maintain motivation and interest in my ideas. I've noticed, over the few years I've been RPing, I can hold onto excitement for a project I start for about a month (plus a week or two for the time it takes to set it up). I find my interest waning when I actually have to do a plot for the idea - as opposed to just making a setting and characters, which is something I can burn the candle at both ends for and enjoy burning it. After about a month of play, I always find some newer, shinier idea that I want to create and focus on, and I wonder where the excitement I had for the first idea went.

So far, my fix for this has been to RP with partners who share my "short attention span", but I'd really love a way to maintain my motivation so I can open myself up to more extensive ideas with a wider range of partners.

How do I stick with a project long-term? Also, how do I maintain interest in a project after I've set it up, while I'm actually plotting? (Is there a way to minimize stress while plotting?)

Moogle-Girl

Morality Kitchen Sinker
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays
Posting Speed
A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
I work full time, so I'm usually not on until after 6PM EST on weekdays. (Weekends are free game though.)
Writing Levels
Male, Female, Futanari, Androgynous, No Preferences
Very passive, but I'm trying to push in the other direction. Concrit welcome!
Favorite Genres
Urban/modern fantasy, psychological horror, fandom using OCs (no canon characters except in mentions!)
Genre You DON'T Like
High fantasy, historical, fan-based using canon characters (OCs only please!), anything involving heavy gun-based combat
I have this problem to some extent as well so I'm curious what other people will say, but one thing that helps a bit in my experience is having one major project and several smaller projects running concurrently. Whenever I start to feel burnout on the larger thing, I'll take a short break and go work on one or more of the smaller things instead.

The Mood is Write

Mom-de-Plume
SITE SUPPORT
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
One on One Roleplays
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
11PM to 2AM EST, plus or minus a few hours in either direction.
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Prestige
Male, Female, Androgynous, Primarily Prefer Female
Combination.

My strengths lie more in the direction of emotions and short-term ideas, where my ability to plan out long-term plots is weak. I do best with a partner who helps me cover that weakness.
Favorite Genres
I'm open to a wide range of genres. Obscenely wide. It's harder for me to list all I do like than all I don't like. My absolute favorite is mixed and multiverse, but I'm not limited to those.

• Mixed Genre
• Multiverse
• High Fantasy
• Hard Fantasy
• Low Fantasy
• OP Fantasy
• Science Fantasy
• Modern Fantasy
• Soft Scifi
• Science Fantasy
• Low Scifi
• OP Science Fantasy
• Modern Realistic (Strict)
• Modern Realistic (Loose)
• Urban Fantasy
• Alternate History (Fantasy Preference)
• Post-Apocalyptic Mixed
• Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy
• Post-Apocalyptic Scifi
• Post-Apocalyptic Modern
• Dystopia
• Displacement
• Military
• Dying Earth
• Supernatural
• Drama
• Mystery
• Horror
• Religious
• LBGT
• Crime/Detective
• Parody
• Comedy
• Tragedy
• Romance (Must Include Others)
• Erotic (Must Include Others)
Genre You DON'T Like
The list is short. because it's hard to find genres I don't enjoy.

• Yaoi/Yuri (Gay/Lesbian is fine!)
• Furry
• Fandom
• Historic Non-Fantasy
Maintaining motivation, reducing stress, and keeping interested boil down to one thing in my experience: maybe two.

Communication is the biggest key. Hype your partners and be hyped by them. Talk about your plots beyond just planning, and just dick around with them—write mini-fics, ask questions, make headcanons together...

That sort of stuff helps a LOT.

Second thing, is to cultivate your skill in writing even when it sucks. Sometimes, to get something to a part you're eager for, you have to power through something boring or unpleasant. Sometimes these can be skipped over, or sometimes you just gotta knuckle down. Again, communication will help here.

Quincunx

sludge of love
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays, Private Convo Roleplays
Posting Speed
Speed of Light, Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week
My Usual Online Time
6 - 10 PM, Eastern Standard Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female, Futanari, Androgynous, Primarily Prefer Female
tba
Favorite Genres
Magical, Scifi, Action
Genre You DON'T Like
Furry, realism
Maintaining motivation, reducing stress, and keeping interested boil down to one thing in my experience: maybe two.

Communication is the biggest key. Hype your partners and be hyped by them. Talk about your plots beyond just planning, and just dick around with them—write mini-fics, ask questions, make headcanons together...

That sort of stuff helps a LOT.

Second thing, is to cultivate your skill in writing even when it sucks. Sometimes, to get something to a part you're eager for, you have to power through something boring or unpleasant. Sometimes these can be skipped over, or sometimes you just gotta knuckle down. Again, communication will help here.
That's really useful! Thank you for your reply! It makes sense that you and your partner can both help each others' motivations and use those "just dicking around with them" mini-projects to keep the spark alive. (And of course, some of it would be just powering through the tough spots.)

The Mood is Write

Mom-de-Plume
SITE SUPPORT
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
One on One Roleplays
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
11PM to 2AM EST, plus or minus a few hours in either direction.
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Prestige
Male, Female, Androgynous, Primarily Prefer Female
Combination.

My strengths lie more in the direction of emotions and short-term ideas, where my ability to plan out long-term plots is weak. I do best with a partner who helps me cover that weakness.
Favorite Genres
I'm open to a wide range of genres. Obscenely wide. It's harder for me to list all I do like than all I don't like. My absolute favorite is mixed and multiverse, but I'm not limited to those.

• Mixed Genre
• Multiverse
• High Fantasy
• Hard Fantasy
• Low Fantasy
• OP Fantasy
• Science Fantasy
• Modern Fantasy
• Soft Scifi
• Science Fantasy
• Low Scifi
• OP Science Fantasy
• Modern Realistic (Strict)
• Modern Realistic (Loose)
• Urban Fantasy
• Alternate History (Fantasy Preference)
• Post-Apocalyptic Mixed
• Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy
• Post-Apocalyptic Scifi
• Post-Apocalyptic Modern
• Dystopia
• Displacement
• Military
• Dying Earth
• Supernatural
• Drama
• Mystery
• Horror
• Religious
• LBGT
• Crime/Detective
• Parody
• Comedy
• Tragedy
• Romance (Must Include Others)
• Erotic (Must Include Others)
Genre You DON'T Like
The list is short. because it's hard to find genres I don't enjoy.

• Yaoi/Yuri (Gay/Lesbian is fine!)
• Furry
• Fandom
• Historic Non-Fantasy
That's really useful! Thank you for your reply! It makes sense that you and your partner can both help each others' motivations and use those "just dicking around with them" mini-projects to keep the spark alive. (And of course, some of it would be just powering through the tough spots.)
Yep. I've had a lot of luck with it!

Reactions: Quincunx