SPPA Chronicles (Sarre & Nix)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lil started pouting, but Xyne pulled her close and whispered something in ear. Whatever it was, made a wide smile cross her face, and for her to start studying Eleanor with interest. "Lovely idea.. Red... no.. blue maybe velvet..." The vampire leaned back a bit, muttering slightly.

"So, Yela did it eh? I'm a little surprised." Xyne gave a shrug, "Just proves you really can't be sure of anything..." Still, it was impressive for Eleanor to close her first case in less than a week. "And yes, I do hate those things. Name me one person that doesn't hate something. If you do I will willingly let you feed me coffee."

Eleanor squinted. "Should I be concerned about your secret plotting?" she asked playfully. It was amusing to watch Captain Tristis and Lil. They behaved more like lovers than a mother and a son; and the fact that they looked about the same age didn't help either.

"And yes, Yela," she said. "I didn't think so at first either, but I guess the evidence doesn't lie."

"Absolutely." Xyne smirked, motioning to the still muttering Lil. "She's plotting the best color for you." Lil loved clothes, and loved dressing people up even more. Since other than Eleanor only Cass ever came in here, and Cass was vehemently against anything girly, especially fancy clothes, Xyne had suggested that Lil find something to suit Eleanor. If nothing else,it would keep her from leaning all over him.

"True enough... Well, nothing much else to do about it." Finishing the last of his tea, he slipped a couple of tea bags into his pocket, and slid off the stool. "We should probably go report in. Especially if I need to show up at Adrian's later. Lil, you going to be there?"

"No, Imey-er. I am visiting Marcus tonight. You tell my dear Adrian, I said hello. Oh, And Eleanor? Please, come back and visit me again." A stunning smile crossed Lil's face, she honestly liked the girl.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Red," Eleanor said, "Or burgundy. It brings out the blue in my eyes."

She was glad to make a new friend. She'd been neglecting friendship as of late, and while paperwork could distract her from intermittent lonliness, it was never a permanent solution.

"I'll be more than happy to visit," Eleanor told her. "You'll have to explain those drinks to me. I spent high school being a nerd instead of staying out late getting drunk like a proper teenager."

She finished off the last of the bitter coffee, then slid off the stool she was perched on. "I look forward to seeing you again."

As Lil's dark red eyes lit up at the thought, Xyne prudently stepped backward just in time for the black clothes blur to vanish. "Well that made her day. Sorry... she's ... something else." Still the words were fond, despite all his complaints, she was like a mother... a strange flightly, non-aging, mother.

"So... explain to me why they sent you out here? The Commander knew I would show up for my shift. For the love of God, don't tell me there is something wrong with the item I delivered."

"What are you apologising for? She's amazing," Eleanor beamed. "One of the people that insists on bringing cheer to the world, whether it likes it or not. As for why they sent me, I have no idea." She shrugged. "They don't tell me anything. Just give me orders."

She glanced up at the staircase that Lil had disappeared to. "Wait a second, did she just dash off to find a dress or something? Is that what she's doing?"

That was certainly a different way of looking at things, Xyne could appreciate that. "I have no idea what she's doing. She could be looking for a dress, or to make a call, or to check inventory, I honestly don't know. But... my best guess... she's going to do them all, and then corner you next time you show up."

Smothering a sigh, because the one thing that Eleanor did that bothered him was her seemingly overwhelming devotion to doing whatever she was told. "Okay... We should probably, go find out... Hey Amanda?" He addressed the bartender now. "Tell Lil we had to go in, okay? I'll check in here later on my patrol."

[BCOLOR=transparent]"How fun!," Eleanor said. She reached across the bar table and took a little card advertisement for the place's phone number. "I guess I'm going to escape for today, then."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]As she started up the borrowed unmarked SPPA car, she asked him, "Would it be out of place for me to ask you what happened on that confidential assignment that resulted in a broken arm and lots of bruises? You wouldn't believe what the rumours are saying..."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Xyne sighed. "Long story short? Shifter district, to recover some… stolen puzzle box thing for a group out of Kyoto. Avrost had it, and he and I.. have issues. He tries to kill me and I have this urge to shoot him repeatedly. Broken arm came from his second in command, everything else came from a pack of shifters I ran across in an alley last night."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Fingers flexing a bit, he continued on in the same tired tone. "Official story though, I was on assignment in the Vampire District, got injured in a fight with some rogues." He didn't really care if Eleanor knew the truth, as long as she knew what to say if anyone poked around asking questions, and they would. "So, tell me some of the rumors."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Sounds rough," Eleanor said. It felt strange saying something like that to a superior. Passing on the rumour mill stories though; that she could do.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Well, the most popular story is that you were in the mountains, sent to spy on a clan of feral... shifters or werewolves, depending on who you heard it from. Some variations of the story include falling into a river, falling off a log bridge into a river, or diving into a river to escape pursuit. You landed on a rock. That's how you supposedly broke your arm. The other story is that you went down into the sewers. Same confusion with who the enemies were. People were talking about how they passed you as you came in or went out, and that you smelled like sewer gunk. No offense, by the way. Just relaying what I heard..."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Xyne actually started smirking during the first one and outright chuckling on the second. "I swear, I honestly don't know where they come up with these things. I'm not that bad… maybe.. I just work nights, and when I have to be awake in the day it makes me grouchy." While he may not completely understand why they all thought up weird rumors, that didn't stop him from enjoying them. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Just before they reached the car,he stopped, and chuckled again. "Can you imagine what some of them would say if they knew about Lil?" Even he could imagine how quickly the tongues would wag. Honestly, sometimes the headquarters was worse than an old lady's hair salon. "I swear, the Commander and Cass are the only ones there that aren't idiots." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"The grouchy captain. I could see you fitting in that role," Eleanor grinned. "You looked pretty stern when you came down those stairs in the bar, but then Lil happened. The others would probably think you two were lovers," Eleanor continued. "If you don't notice her teeth and her complexion, you two do kind of look like an item. I suppose some people who are dumb enough would go with 'Captain Tristis' is dating a vampire', and then there would be the fanfiction. Do people still write fanfiction these days? My parents were supposedly big fanfiction stars back in the day."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"That's just gross. Even if she hadn't raised me, she's not my type." The very idea was actually pretty disgusting. Sure Lil was pretty, but Xyne liked girls that were… a lot less flightly. Still as strange as it sounded he couldn't quite understand why that would cause fanfiction. He highly doubted that anything he did was worthy of someone taking the time to write about. "Are you going to the market with me tonight? I know you've been on days lately."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Eleanor chuckled. "It's not you, it's her and the way she seems to cling to you," she said. "The stoic officer and the cheerful maiden. Classic archetypes, Captain!"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]The car pulled slowly into the parking lot of the SPPA office. The roads had been conveniently clear.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"If they allow me to divert that pile of paperwork away from my desk, I'd love to get out of the office. Seems like that's all people do there. Phonecalls and paperwork, and staring at photographs."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"That's Lil. She's always been pretty touchy." Still he rolled his eyes. He honestly didn't see it, and no one who had any sense of self preservation called Lil a maiden. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Why are you doing paperwork? Did they transfer you to the offices permanently? It doesn't make any sense for you to be doing all that, especially since you said you did all the work for the case already." He had a feeling that it was simply pettiness. She did well and some were inclined to be bitter. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]A smirk crossed his face. "Personally, if it were me, I would go see what the commander wants, and then simply go on patrol. Make those lazy people do their own work." [/BCOLOR]

"No, not for the case," Eleanor said. "Some stuff about sending supplies to other branches, writing polite denial letters, a bit of filing. The stuff that nobody else wants to do, probably. I appreciate the respect I get from you, but to everyone else I'm still the new kid at the office. I don't have the luxury of being a respected founding member," she said, tossing him a friendly glare. "Yeah, your name was in one of the textbooks."

[BCOLOR=transparent]"It has nothing to do with new or not. It doesn't even have anything to do with who wants to do it. It's about the simple fact of where you are supposed to be. If you stayed at the office all day doing paperwork, then eventually, you will get in trouble for not getting your work done." He shoved his gloved hands into his pockets. "It's pettiness, nothing more."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Mock glaring at her, Xyne shook his head. "All that means is that I was here and you weren't. Besides… I think I was.. fourteen then? Not really sure. All we founding members got was a lot of grief and a decent bonus." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"My work," Eleanor said. "I wish I knew what was. When I closed Luke's case, they let me go early, and then this morning, Cass and a few others toss me that pile of paperwork. Honestly, I'm not even sure who I'm supposed to report to for orders. Can I consider that invitation to the market question an order? While I'm at it, can I consider everything you just said as an order to get out of the office?"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Xyne actually grinned. "Well, naturally. I mean.. you were assigned as my partner, so it only makes sense that you have to do what I say.. not to mention… my partner should do the same work I am." Lowering his voice slightly, he gave her an out. "Officer Baker, I order you to learn the patrol route in the Vampire District. No office hours today." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Satisfied that was settled, he held the door to Headquarters for her. It was one of the few things that he was very consistent about. Pointedly ignoring the whispers, mostly likely involving his injuries, he moved toward the Commander's office. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Gladly, Captain," Eleanor said, returning the smile.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]As Captain Tristis headed for the Commander's office, she trailed behind him; but it wasn't the commander she intended to see. "Cass," she said, pulling the door-guarding secretary aside. "I have new orders from Captain Tristis that involve me being busy for the rest of the day, well into the night shift. Should I find someone else to do the papers I haven't gotten to, or should I just leave them with you?"[/BCOLOR]

Status
Not open for further replies.